Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Hey Marney, no politics allowed on my fb page either. It's all art and puppies and baby kangaroos. Hey, friend me on fb you guys: its Gayle Bodine.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Bought a new scale yesterday. Also signed up for a 12 week health and fitness course with Kaiser Permanente.
    5/05/17: 199.2
    My goal for this challenge is to get back to the 180's or better by my birthday, July 7th. Record more often than not, walk.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I will look for you on fb Gayle.

My goal for this week, I cannot get further than that is to eat on plan and walk. I went today for a short walk in the rain. It helped although our road is not covered with a large puddle. They are calling for snow here! And, we are under flood warning, not watch but warning. The lake just keeps rising and the rain keeps falling. Our house is still dry thanks to our new sump pump system but the amount of water pumped out is now surrounding our bunkie with a moat! Please, please stop raining!

Our electrical bill is going to be huge and I am sure the next month "comparison to neighbours" (I see red every time it comes it because we pay the highest rates in North America and our neighbours are cottagers who are only here for the summer so the comparison is stupid and I hate that they take us to task about our "above average use") anyway, I am sure we will not compare well with the sump pump usage.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    5/5/17:135.6
    Goal: still keep in the Healthy BMI range (below 136), but I would like to add it the goal of walking with my daughter once a week to encourage her. Though her schedule will be the limiting factor. She doesn't like to talk about her total weight (probably starting around 185+ like my sister and myself) but this week said she is down 15.5lbs.

Marney: I also don't appreciate the "comparison to neighbors". My husband's shop is next to the house. He has a small personal meter on the building so we can calculate his share of electric use since it is a business expense, but the electric company just looks at the total. We also are in a program that allows them to turn off our AC on extreme need days for short periods of time. We get about $80 a year back and we've never noticed a difference in our house temp. We also have solar panels which helps the bill some.

When we replaced our failing propane water heater and the house propane heater with duel heat pump system we really noticed a decrease in our propane use of course. The company was going to charge us MORE since we were only getting one fill-up a year. When I complained that I was trying to be a 'green aware' consumer and that shouldn't be penalized they marked our account to no extra charge - but what about people who don't complain?

Is being pissed about our new admin considered a pre-existing condition? It did start last November...
    I'm waiting to hear about France's election.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Yes, have been watching the US situation and in my opinion, being female appears to be "a pre-existing condition"! (Shush, we are not talking politics.)

I did the AC control thing and electric company in the last house but this one, we have an air sourced heat pump for heat, and we do not use it for air conditioning, except if we have guests who get used to air con in the city and cannot stand the heat here. We just carry on in shorts and t shirts when we are alone. And I would prefer if they did not monkey with our main heat source and no one has asked us to sign up anyway. I had trouble getting counted in the last census and we missed the one before that completely. Somehow, we don't exist out here. We even do not get any calling during an election. There are benefits!

With that installation, we do pay more the propane. They added the tank rental since we do not buy enough to have the rental costs included in the cost of the propane. So $80 a year more. We had 6 years before they caught up with us, so I haven't complained.

Good for you for maintaining so well. You are an inspiration to me. I am still struggling through this decade.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    5/5/17 - 186.0
    5/12/17 - 186.0

Not so bad after being on a trip for three days, I'll take this..

Twisted my back while on the trip, and luckily I was able to get into my chiropractor yesterday . I was having such a hard time just getting up off a chair. He did some good, going back today and hopes that he will make it even better. When your back is out it just completely ruins your day.

Finally getting back to normal weather here in Cincinnati, now as soon as the back lets me, I will be able to walk again outside instead of going to the mall.

My food scale broke on me last week, finally got it replaced, so now I can get on better track. I have gotten so use to using it, I was lost without it..LOL...Oh well, I got a new one, and now I am weighing my food again.

Glad to see that everyone is doing such a good job on their diet, lets keep it up. Now that the weather is better, we should all be able to get outside more and keep active.

Everyone have a great week, eat clean and get those walks in, and look forward in seeing everyone again next week. Beth
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Beth,

Sorry to hear about your back. You are right; it affects everything. I hope you get relief soon.

I was down this week but of course Friday morning up. Sigh.

168 today

Still working my way down. It is so slow. Have a good week.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    5/05/17: last weight at around 200.00
    5/12/17: 196.8 on new scale
    I'll make today's weigh in my starting weight since not sure about my weight on the 5th. It's been right around 200.00. Yikes! Taking on another job with more physical activity (just picking up a few hours at Home Depot). That should help a bit. So glad to see you guys steady on the path.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    4/21/17 Fri. 224.00
    5/19/17 Fri. 226.5
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    5/5/17 - 186.0
    5/12/17 - 186.0
    5/19/17 - 186.0

Well, at least I'm not gaining..LOL...staying the same 3 x's in a row I guess is not so bad....

Back is getting better, going to chiropractor again Monday, but I do have a lot more relief than I did, at least I am moving around better and back to somewhat normal.

Raining here again, UGH!!!! but it is warmer, had the A/C on the last few days, the humidity is getting higher. I would rather have the windows open.

Well, I hope every one has a great week, and I will see you all on here next week...Beth

• dasher602014
    Options
    I too stay the same at 168. It is so blessedly slow. But I am staying the course.

Reminder to self. No cheese, no nuts. Usually gives me a boost.

Have a good week!
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Day2, no sweets and no sodas.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    5/05/17: 200+
    5/12/17: 196.8
    5/20/17: 196.8
    Like others have said, at least I did not gain. Last Thursday started with my health care organization's 11 week weight loss program with a nutritionist. Nothing new: record food, move. But think I need the face to face accountability and encouragement. So sick of "dieting" but sicker of my clothes being to tight. The weekly weigh in will help, I think.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    5/5/17 - 186.0
    5/12/17 - 186.0
    5/19/17 - 186.0
    5/26/17 - 184.6 YEA!!!!

Im out of the rut!!!!!! 1.4 lbs lost but at least I'm out of my 186 and moving down. Feel really motivated right now,

Hey ladies - found something new, and it really taste good. Its "Premier Protein Shake", it has 160 calories and 30 g of protein. Since I am not a breakfast eater, I been having one of these each morning, it fills me up, and I don't feel the need to eat with it. I can go 4 hours or more without feeling hungry. Its in the pharmacy department at Meijer, Walmart and Sam's and I have also found it on Jet.com. It is not chalky tasting like those other protein drinks, and has a really creamy base. There are different flavors..

I sound like a commercial.. LOL.. but these are good.

You all have a great week, and if you celebrate "Memorial Day" watch out for those cook outs....LOL......Beth
  • dasher602014
    Options
    And then there is me.

I decided that I would try my Dash diet again. Only 1 day, but 1 lb up.

so 169 lbs

my pre holiday 162 seems so far away.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hang in there. My rut is pretty well worn but won't give up! ;)
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    5/26/17: 196.4
    Started my new job at Home Depot this week and disappointed that only .4 down. But need to be patient and did Eat more than I should have because I was so tired last. Amazing how fast one can undermine the good one dies so quickly.

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    5/26/17: 135.2
    Looking back at my weight graph I see that two years ago I was about 131. Though I got to 130 to satisfy my sense of accomplishment, I accept that 132-140 would be a perfectly healthy range for me.
    ... and no matter how much weight I lose my hips will always be my largest dimension.

Last night I was going to make a quick meal of Costco Pulmuone brand Korean Black Bean Noodles - just boil the noodles and add the black bean sauce. The packets weren't very large. I looked at the nutritional stats. One serving was 620 calories! Sodium was huge.. I can't believe that I didn't check the stats before I bought it since I usually do.

I gave a couple packets to my son who was visiting. He is so slender he looks for high calorie food. So I made a Trader Joe Korean Scallion Pancake (160 cal), kimchi, spinach and just a slurp of the noodles from my husbands bowl. We'll stick with the dry noodle packets of Black Bean Noodles at 294 cal from now on.

I've never said never to a food - but portion size and better choices make the difference for me.

• gmabethof3
    Options
    5/5/17 - 186.0
    5/12/17 - 186.0
    5/19/17 - 186.0
    5/26/17 - 184.6
    6/2/17 - 183.8

Gayle, congrats on the job at Home Depot, I bet you get a lot of walking in, love to go there and Lowe's, if for nothing else but to walk the buildings.

Marney, what does your dash diet consist of? I would like to try other diets, trying to get at least to my 170ish mark before the baby is due in August, want him to have a thinner grandma...LOL

Going on a picnic with the senior group today, everyone is bringing there own food to grill, I plan on being good with my turkey sausage and grilled vegy's. I am getting better at avoiding snack foods, hope I can keep that up today.

Glad to see everyone on here, hope we continue to get more members to return.

Everyone have a great week, eat clean and look forward in seeing everyone again here next Friday. Beth
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    5/26/17: 196.4
    6/03/17: 195.8
    Little by little.