What book are you reading?

Options

Replies

• cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A Feast for Crows. It's taking me forever to tear through it, since I have less time to read than usual, but the Song of Ice and Fire series is really good.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Currently making my way through the Dresden Files. Up to Proven Guilty now (I love horror films, so this one's been especially fun).
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Good Omens...again

and the Elminster series.....

and Harry Dresden....
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    A Feast for Crows. It's taking me forever to tear through it, since I have less time to read than usual, but the Song of Ice and Fire series is really good.

Take your time. Until that final book is out, you will be gnashing teeth with the rest of us who await it!

Recently read "Ready Player One" and loved it. Of course it was written to my teen years so I may be biased. Currently reading Anathem by Neal Stephensen. While a bit slower starting, I am really enjoying it now.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Just finished Skin Game (most recent Dresden Files). Listening to Mists of Avalon because I've somehow never read it and I love the narrator, Davina Porter. Before bed I usually try to read something light; right now I'm on the first book in the Kane Chronicles (The Red Pyramid).

ETA: Davina Porter narrates the audiobooks for the Outlander series, which I have read and listened to all of. I also read and listened to Skin Game, because the narrator for that is James Marsters, Spike from BtVS. I never really did audiobooks until I realized they were the perfect accompaniment to walking, and now I listen all the time. But I still read ebooks aplenty, too.
  • basicjim
    basicjim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am on Book 5 in The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I think I need to take a break before going on to 6-12. The names and places keep popping up in my head.

ive heard so much about the WoT series and its so one side or the other never in between. people either love it or think its to long and drawn out and hate it. what is your take on it

also great ticker i love AoT

"I hate to say it, but after the other author took over the books got a LOT better. I don't think it's ever a good idea for a writer to have his/her significant other being their editor," she said while pulling on her braid ...

LOL! Nynaeve!
  • basicjim
    basicjim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am on Book 5 in The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I think I need to take a break before going on to 6-12. The names and places keep popping up in my head.

ive heard so much about the WoT series and its so one side or the other never in between. people either love it or think its to long and drawn out and hate it. what is your take on it

also great ticker i love AoT

I think it is well written and has the whole 'epic' feel to it. I like that the main characters aren't so willing to be the ones to save the world. If someone came to me and told me I was a chosen one and would save the world, I don't think I would pack up and head off, I would think they were nuts. That is more of the take on this series.

I like the books a lot. The 'battle of the sexes' gets old, but it is pretty integral to the story. I get annoyed that the main characters don't actually talk to each other honestly, but keep secretes and make assumptions that make everything more difficult for everyone. I guess the fact that annoys me is testimony to how involving the books are. If it wasn't a good book, I wouldn't care. Maybe Jordan was trying to make a statement about how all of us interact with other people.

Anyway, I like that the book is well paced. It doesn't jump over too much and it doesn't drag too much. Some series do either one or both. This one does on occasion, but for the most part, tempo is good.

I think that Jordan does a good job of introducing new characters and having a big cast, but not making them so obscure that you keep going "Wait, WHO was that?"

I have also heard that after Mr. Jordan's death, the new author did a wonderful job with the books.

I think that if you pick up the first book and read the first 100 pages, you'll know if its for you or not. I was hooked much sooner than 100 pages. If you read 100 pages and don't like it, your not out too much!

:-)
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm with MistressPi, reading the Outlander series.

For fun times - Off to Be the Wizard (2.0)

And I want to read Jacqueline Carey's Agent of Hel series.

I have been avoiding Book 10 in the Wheel of Time series like the plague- I heard it was terrible and I haven't felt like trudging through it to get to 11.
  • jorge_ta83
    jorge_ta83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Starting the Wheel Of Time series, book 1.

Re reading the Harry Potter series, currently reading the Order of the Phoenix.
  • kaniob
    kaniob Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Currently reading book 4 of Wheel of Time, book 2 of the Tide Lords quartet by Jennifer Fallon

adamtall wrote: »
    just finished my 3 reread of the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfus and started on Jim Butchers - Furies of Cauldron

any fantasy nerds out there have to read the name of the wind and wise mans fear (kingkiller chronicles)

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Also, Codex Alera (the Jim Butcher series) is GREAT.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm also reading Insurgent right now. Easy read, but I'm finding it hard to get motivation to read lately. I'm about halfway done with it! Was hoping to read some spooky books in October, but slacking off is getting me nowhere. =P
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    kaniob wrote: »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Also, Codex Alera (the Jim Butcher series) is GREAT.

the first one was really good after you get to a certain point where the points of view start coming together but i was very close to being uninterested in finishing it because every chapter was someone different so as soon as you got into a part that you really liked it switched and you have 3 or 4 chapters before you got back to it so the feel was lost
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Codex Alera is one of my all time favorite series. About to re-read Vaetra Unveiled. I noticed that the third book is now out, but I can't remember if I liked the series or not.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    for codex alera how does the rest of the series stack up to the first book? im sure they are good but its the final battle in the first one kinda feels like it could be the climax of the series (havent read any of the others yet)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just started the Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F.Hamilton.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    John Dies at the End by David Wong
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, and now I'm diving into her less supernatural (but still somewhat) thriller Cainesville series. That show Bitten on Syfy is based off her books, but naturally the books are better and aren't solely focused on werewolves. I know the writer didn't want to be pegged as a werewolf writer, so the series delves into many different kinds of supernatural creatures. She touches on vamps, but has a different take on them and doesn't really focus on them which was sort of refreshing. She has a young-adult series on a necromancer and that was good fun!
  • ajalcazar84
    ajalcazar84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just opened The Mullah's Storm by Thomas W. Young
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    I love Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, and now I'm diving into her less supernatural (but still somewhat) thriller Cainesville series. That show Bitten on Syfy is based off her books, but naturally the books are better and aren't solely focused on werewolves. I know the writer didn't want to be pegged as a werewolf writer, so the series delves into many different kinds of supernatural creatures. She touches on vamps, but has a different take on them and doesn't really focus on them which was sort of refreshing. She has a young-adult series on a necromancer and that was good fun!

I loved Women of the Otherworld! Have you read Kresley Cole's Immortals after Dark series? It starts off a bit slow, but her characters are hilarious. Less mystery more relationship-driven than Otherworld too.
  • wastelands_
    wastelands_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the Divergent series and The Eneid. *kitten* you, Virgil!