What book are you reading?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I am waiting to read "The Giver" until I watch the movie. I don't like to read the books first in most cases because I like to live in ignorance. If I don't know what I'm missing, it doesn't bother me as much. Except for "The Host" by Stephenie Meyers. My mom said the movie was confusing. She hadn't read the book and found the movie hard to follow.

I'm the same way. I enjoy the movie much more if I haven't read the book, honestly... Like the Hunger Game or Divergent series... there's no surprise, it's just not that exciting IMO. I actually read the Hunger Game series after seeing the first one, and wish I hadn't. I really liked the books, but the movies have just seemed unexciting since. And I'm really glad I delayed reading the Hobbit until I've seen the last of the movies, although at least it's pretty different, even for people who've read the book.

I didn't find the Host confusing at all, even though I never read the book, honestly. I want to see the Giver and the Maze Runner too, but not sure I'll read the books, at least not for a while.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Burning through the Wheel of TIme series once and for all. I had read up to Winter's Heart previously, but that was years ago and since I decided to finish the series I felt it was neccessary to read the entire saga to get the whole bloody story.

In between books (felt the need to switch tropes and was getting tired of braid pulling) I read Consider Phlebas which was a bad idea...now I want to read more of the Culture series.

If only I could just read all day and not have to work...
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Now Reading: Deathstalker, with To Your Scattered Bodies Go stashed under the sink in the restroom at work. Though I'll admit I've wasted more than a few hours on free smut on the tablet lately.
  • claygirl1518
    claygirl1518 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on A dance with dragons from a song of ice and fire. So far it's way better than a feast for crows. I'm about halfway through it now and waiting for George rr martin to kill characters, I know it's coming!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Still reading the Book of Beasts from John and Susan Barrowman. I interrupted my reading to read the Hobbit and the second Legion novella from Brandon Sanderson (gotta love them). Back to it now... then it will be Firefight from Sanderson next week when I get it. Very excited about it.
  • Desalinadokaz
    Desalinadokaz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just finished 'Enchantress' by James Maxwell....loved it!
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Rereading Fahrenheit 451 for the first time since high school. Also about to start the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

I have loved the Outlander series. I actually just got the most recent book for Christmas and I can't wait to dig in. :)

I'm also working my way to the most recent Kathy Reichs book. I am very addicted to the books. I love the show "Bones," but the books are totally different so even if you don't enjoy the show but enjoy a good forensic mystery I would recommend them.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Its really good.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Leviathan Wakes. VERY good book so far.
  • Bri_Wags90
    Options
    I am currently reading, Definitely dead, which is the 7th book in the Sookie Stackhouse book series which the TV show, True Blood, is based off of.
  • elleinaDanielle
    Options
    adamtall wrote: »
    just finished my 3 reread of the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfus and started on Jim Butchers - Furies of Cauldron

any fantasy nerds out there have to read the name of the wind and wise mans fear (kingkiller chronicles)

I am partway into my first reread! Love Rothfuss.
  • elleinaDanielle
    Options
    Anyone else want to read the Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer?
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    A book on dealing with Bipolar disorder that's about as much fun as reading stereo instructions while watching paint dry and having your seat back kicked lol.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    just finished my 3 reread of the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfus and started on Jim Butchers - Furies of Cauldron

any fantasy nerds out there have to read the name of the wind and wise mans fear (kingkiller chronicles)

Read and reread the books. Sitting back and patiently (not really) waiting for the third book.

• thejohnnyhand
    thejohnnyhand Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and Gun Machine by Warren Ellis... I think I might have a problem
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The PsychoPath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson. Needed to read some real life crazy stuff. Previous fiction was re-reading Harry Potter books while on Christmas vacation. Keep trying to read Game of Thrones and just can't get into it.
  • Ericsawicki
    Ericsawicki Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I was thinking about starting this series. I just finished A song of ice and fire series and I was looking for something to get into. How does it compare?
  • Ericsawicki
    Ericsawicki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It seems that the kingkiller series is popular. I found the first one on amazon for about $2 or free. (I buy a bunch of books and I lose track) I've started the third Dresden book for now because they are light, good, in-between books. Unless somebody thinks it is horrible, I'll start that next.
  • jenakle
    jenakle Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm rereading Brave New World (physical book), and I keep poking at Cress on my phone (part 3 of the Marissa Meyer futuristic/fairytale spin series I'm really enjoying). Knocked out SK's Revival in 2 days flat for the holidays!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I was thinking about starting this series. I just finished A song of ice and fire series and I was looking for something to get into. How does it compare?

Rothfuss is a lot more engaging and less verbose about the scenery lol. Also it's of course a lot more focused of a tale, and less heavy-hearted than GoT. The flip side is it is just about one person as opposed to this sweeping global tale. I would say Kingkiller is much more of a 'classic' fantasy read, just a lot more awesome than most.