Intermediate Team Chat Board

Options
145791021

Replies

  • strive4more11
    strive4more11 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Punishment Exercises...
    Well, I strongly believe that Burpees and Squatts were invented by the devil himself, so those are always good. Maybe like:
    100 squats over the week, or
    25 burpees over the week?
    Maybe even like 7 minutes of plank throughout the week?

    I don't know how intense a "punishment" is supposed to be... Just some ideas.

    I strongly agree that burpees are the devil's work!
  • Hawkeye_74
    Hawkeye_74 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Twenty five in a week is not NEARLY enough for punishment. Twenty five a day would be more of a punishment since I happen to enjoy the BURPEE!!!!
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Punishment Exercises...
    Well, I strongly believe that Burpees and Squatts were invented by the devil himself, so those are always good. Maybe like:
    100 squats over the week, or
    25 burpees over the week?
    Maybe even like 7 minutes of plank throughout the week?

    I don't know how intense a "punishment" is supposed to be... Just some ideas.

    I strongly agree that burpees are the devil's work!

    Punishments are usually a little more intense. Maybe what you suggested but daily instead of weekly. People have also looked up different workout videos that might be a little more challenging. We did a Bring Sally Up one last season that was pretty difficult. It was squats... I just found this one with push-ups http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41N6bKO-NVI
  • pdnaylor
    Options
    Got back at it today!
    40mins cardio
    25 strength, including 10mins of pendulum lunges per the video for Tyreese.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So far so good! This week I've done 90 minutes each of strength and cardio, and tonight I'm going to attempt the Jillian Michaels "Carol Challenge" video. I'm not letting you down, team!

    Ooh, just looking through the rules again and I have a couple of questions. What are the points/penalties for the character challenge? There's no mention of what you get for completing it, or if you get penalized for not completing it.

    And second, do I need to open my diary so my food and exercise tracking is visible?
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hawkeye_74 wrote: »
    Twenty five in a week is not NEARLY enough for punishment. Twenty five a day would be more of a punishment since I happen to enjoy the BURPEE!!!!

    Don't get me wrong... I enjoy them... but it is a love-hate relationship.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Burpees is somethin' I just can't do! Anything with bouncing/jumping I'll have to modify because of my nerve damage :fearful:
  • Gambrell104
    Gambrell104 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

    Burpees is somethin' I just can't do! Anything with bouncing/jumping I'll have to modify because of my nerve damage :fearful:
    That's something to think about when it comes to the punishment exercise. We need to pick something that can modified or a alternative to the harder exercise.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I fully support planks as a punishment exercise. Also, wall-sits are brutal, even in relatively small doses. They wouldn't take much time to do but either of those things 2 or 3 minutes every day for a week will have you feeling it.

    I'm at 105/30 for my minutes this week! Modifying the Carol challenge and doing as many reps of the set as I can in 10 minutes as part of my cardio. 25 sets is just for crazy people, I swear.

    Apologies for being less than active on this thread, I have a 3 hour total commute and work full time so I'm not home much and using the forums on mobile, like I'm doing now, is a pain in the dick. I'll try to be better, though!
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I am at 82/0 so far this week. Kinda dragging my feet on the strength for some reason. Did the Maggie challenge (which was chair dancing....ummmmm.... :# )

    Burpees can be modified to be completely non-bouncy. Step back into plank instead of jumping back, pushup, step up to standing, then a non-jumping jack.

    My kid suggested triple burpees, which are three pushups at the bottom and three jumping jacks at the top.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work :)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    So far so good! This week I've done 90 minutes each of strength and cardio, and tonight I'm going to attempt the Jillian Michaels "Carol Challenge" video. I'm not letting you down, team!

    Ooh, just looking through the rules again and I have a couple of questions. What are the points/penalties for the character challenge? There's no mention of what you get for completing it, or if you get penalized for not completing it.

    And second, do I need to open my diary so my food and exercise tracking is visible?
    No extra points given or taken away for doing the character challenge... this week anyway. And you can include the cardio or strength minutes doing the videos in your totals. The videos etc are usually just ways to keep things interesting. And you don't have to open your diary. Everyone just keeps track of their own numbers. :smile:
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    so i need some suggestions. i work full time, 9 hour days (8-5). there's a gym at work that i can use for free, but only after work because they don't open until 8am. my commute is 1:15-1:45 each way. i leave for work at 6:45am, get to work at around 8:30. i leave work at 5, go to the gym, and commute home. on a good day i get home at 7. one i'm home i wash today's tupperware dishes, cook and eat tonight's dinner, wash more dishes, prep tomorrow's breakfast, lunch, and snack, wash MORE dishes, take a shower, sometimes sit online for 20 minutes, and go to bed by 10.

    my problem is that since i've started using the gym at the beginning of this week, i've thrown up on two days when i got home. i'm guessing it's because i went too long without eating after the gym so i brought raspberries and a string cheese to eat in the car on the way home today. still puked. i already eat breakfast in the car and lunch and snacks at work every day. i'd really like to be able to eat one meal that doesn't come in tupperware, so making dinner at home is kind of important to me for maintaining my sanity.

    suggestions as to how to deal with this? do i just need to bring a bigger snack to eat in the car on the way home? should i be doing a specific cooldown if i'm going to be sitting in traffic for over an hour after working out? i don't want to give up only 3 days in to this new habit and i like going to the gym, but throwing up every night isn't exciting to me. help?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    26minus60 wrote: »
    so i need some suggestions. i work full time, 9 hour days (8-5). there's a gym at work that i can use for free, but only after work because they don't open until 8am. my commute is 1:15-1:45 each way. i leave for work at 6:45am, get to work at around 8:30. i leave work at 5, go to the gym, and commute home. on a good day i get home at 7. one i'm home i wash today's tupperware dishes, cook and eat tonight's dinner, wash more dishes, prep tomorrow's breakfast, lunch, and snack, wash MORE dishes, take a shower, sometimes sit online for 20 minutes, and go to bed by 10.

    my problem is that since i've started using the gym at the beginning of this week, i've thrown up on two days when i got home. i'm guessing it's because i went too long without eating after the gym so i brought raspberries and a string cheese to eat in the car on the way home today. still puked. i already eat breakfast in the car and lunch and snacks at work every day. i'd really like to be able to eat one meal that doesn't come in tupperware, so making dinner at home is kind of important to me for maintaining my sanity.

    suggestions as to how to deal with this? do i just need to bring a bigger snack to eat in the car on the way home? should i be doing a specific cooldown if i'm going to be sitting in traffic for over an hour after working out? i don't want to give up only 3 days in to this new habit and i like going to the gym, but throwing up every night isn't exciting to me. help?

    Our fitnessblender and livestrong peeps have a few suggestions. Keep hydrated, but don't over hydrate.... have simple carbs and proteins... it looks like it boils down to finding the right balance for each individual.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/538431-the-causes-of-feeling-nauseous-weak-after-exercise/#page=1

    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Exercise-Making-You-Sick-to-Your-Stomach-Beating-Exercise-Nausea/3v/
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    thanks so much cindy! i'm going to look through those articles right now :)
  • Georgielee37
    Georgielee37 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok blonde moment but this challenge we didn't have to turn in beginning numbers or goals right ?? Because I know I didn't like I did last WDC . So far I have 68 in cardio ...I need to get moving on strength and my Rick stuff but I will get it. It's just taking me some time getting used to doing it this way, I am one of the strange ones that liked the old way...lol
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Ok blonde moment but this challenge we didn't have to turn in beginning numbers or goals right ?? Because I know I didn't like I did last WDC . So far I have 68 in cardio ...I need to get moving on strength and my Rick stuff but I will get it. It's just taking me some time getting used to doing it this way, I am one of the strange ones that liked the old way...lol
    Personal preference. Some people have commented on how much weight they want to lose or other goals, others haven't. If you want the extra accountability, definitely let your team leader or others know your goals. :smile:
  • Georgielee37
    Georgielee37 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you I just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing up yet...lol
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Also, anyone notice how Carol had time to take a bath and freshen up before running into the family? XD

    Gosh that drove me crazy the rest of the episode!!!! I hate it when such a great show makes such a big obvious mistake.

    I agree with whomever suggested wall sits as punishment. I think it goes well with the "being trapped in a train car" theme as well.

    Today I am going to be loading cars full of canned goods for folks wintering over at home. It will entail picking up boxes of canned food, loading them into cars, and then unloading them and stacking them on shelves. Does anyone have suggestions about how (or even IF) I could/should record this as strength training?
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Okay, so for punishments...
    Something easily modified for disabilities and also something that can be done WITHOUT equipment. Some people don't have a gym or gym type equipment at their disposal..
    But it MUST be a punishment!

    50 Left crunches
    50 Right crunches
    25-40 pushups

    3x a week

    Just an idea?