What's Cookin?

Options

Replies

• Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Pix - the cakes look fantastic! Very well done!

Angel - lovely nummies, as always. The satay is mouth watering!

Crystal - I've not yet gotten the hang of kimchi, but the soup looks wonderful!

I don't know if this counts as cooking exactly, but it's what I like to call a "neat little trick".

layers.jpg

When I make fajitas I tend to end up with a lot of leftovers, which is great for work lunches the next few days. I've learned to pack these little portable gladware cups with layered condiments - guacamole on the bottom, a layer of sour cream, then a layer of salsa. It both allows me to separate the stuff I like to keep cool from the stuff I'll reheat, AND the layer of sour cream "seals" the guacamole and keeps it from browning.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    80b41112.jpg

Balsamic Glazed Sirloin wi Rustic Sweet Potato Mash

Clean Eating.... Absolutely amazing!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    29d076c6.jpg

Cajun Stuffed Potatoes with Sautéed Brusselsprouts

Cooking Light March
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Wow....looks delish!! Wish I had your desire to cook!!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Yummers, Loves! As usual! :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Ha! I would never turn down a potato!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    50b09fc3.jpg

Hubby made dessert! Baked Apples with Chai Syrup! Simple and deliscious!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    I thought I'd make up for some lost time. I spent most of the day in the kitchen, and it felt GREAT!

I started the morning with my Cran-Orange Muffins with Candied Ginger. Whole wheat flour, flax and All-Bran cereal means they're breakfast - not cake. LOL

orngcranmuffin.jpg

Lunch was a Cilantro/ginger/lime tuna steak with sesame snow peas and boiled fingerling potatoes. The recipe is a fantastic Tyler Florence find I've had in my recipes folder for years:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pan-seared-tuna-with-avocado-soy-ginger-and-lime-recipe/index.html

tunasteak.jpg

I found this recipe for Orzo With Kale looking for something new to do with kale. The recipe needs a little fixing though. It's a beautiful side dish, though. The colors are amazing!

orzoandkale.jpg

Dinner was the Orzo & Kale, roasted lemon-pepper chicken and sauteed crimini mushrooms with onions.

chknorzoshrooms.jpg

Recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/orzo-with-kale/detail.aspx
    Changes:
    * 2/3 cup orzo (instead of 2)
    * Added 3 tbsp pine nuts
    * Added a handful of cherry tomatoes
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to do that next Saturday--spend the day in the kitchen! (Best laid plans!!). That tuna looks slammin'!
  • ReginaB13
    Options
    Baked Brie with Cranberry Walnut Brown Sugar Glaze from a gathering I hosted a couple of weeks back. Going to start cookin and posting again!!

GirlsNight004-1-1.jpg
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Nikki love the muffins and tuna and love orzo! Gobble Boy the apples...
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Jen, the potatoes look great, I'm going to be looking that recipe up.

Nikki--Care to post the recipe for the muffins? Orange Cranberry is my favorite. All of your photos are gorgeous!

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/024.jpg[/img]

Glazed Salmon and Sauteed Snow Peas (America's Test Kitchen Light and Healthy 2012)
    The Salmon was amazing. It honestly is now one of my two favorite all time salmon recipes and that is saying a lot because we eat a new salmon recipe almost once a week. The snow peas were meh. Wouldn't make them again and the recipe was a bit fussy to boot. Luckily the salmon made up for it.

It really annoys the crap out of me when I resize a photo and then I post it and it's still half off the page. Grrr.
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Sure thing Pix!

Healthy Cran-Orange Bran Muffins

Servings: 12
    Preparation Time: 15 minutes
    Start to Finish Time: 20 minutes
    Tangy and zingy - these high-fiber muffins make a great snack or quick breakfast.
    This healthy version is not your typical cake-like muffin. It's substantial, chewy and hearty.
    1 1/3 cups plain low-fat yogurt
    1 1/4 cups all-Bran® Cereal
    3/4 cup flax seed, ground
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup honey
    3/4 cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
    1 cup dried cranberries
    Optional: about 1 oz candied ginger, chopped into tiny bits.

Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a muffin pan with 12 foil liners, or grease the muffin cups.
    In a bowl, combine yogurt and cereal and let stand for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flax meal, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Ad the beaten egg,
    vanilla, honey, orange juice and orange zest to the cereal and yogurt and stir until combined. Stir the wet
    ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over-mix. Too much handling will make the
    muffins tough.

Using two spoons, drop batter into the muffin cups to fill 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes in the 375°F oven. The
    muffins are done when the tops spring back when pressed lightly. Cool for 2 minutes in the muffin pan before
    placing the muffins on a rack to cool completely.

Serving Ideas: Muffins freeze well! I like to double the recipe and wrap each muffin in plastic wrap before placing
    in a freezer bag. Then I can pull out a few at a time and they're always fresh-tasting. To thaw, leave the plasticwrapped
    muffins out at room temperature for a couple of hours (or overnight). They can also be microwaved for
    1-2 minutes at 30% - 50% power.

Yield: 12 pieces

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 205 Calories; 5g Fat (19.0% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 19mg
    Cholesterol; 176mg Sodium.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nikki!! They sound great! I love muffins that have some substance to them, not light fluffy things. Have you ever made them with greek yogurt? I always have tons of Fage 2% on hand because I eat that with blackberries, wheat germ, and honey almost every morning. I think I will try them with that so that I don't have to buy regular low fat yogurt. --And I adore candied ginger, so that will certainly be going in the mix. This will be a good thing to mix into my very limited breakfast rotation.
  • ReginaB13
    Options
    Lemon Chicken Stir Fry

Food003-1.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Everything looks so good! Gonna try those muffins for sure!

0c12f654.jpg

Ropa Vieja... Food Network Magazine

I would like to say I know what it tasted like, but I can't tell with my stuffed up nose... But my husband said it was really good! LOL
  • ReginaB13
    Options
    Pasta with meat sauce--Totally took me over my calories, but was so worth it.

Food018.jpg
  • ReginaB13
    Options
    Pasta with meat sauce--Totally took me over my calories, but was so worth it.

Better size...
    Food018-1.jpg
  • ReginaB13
    Options
    Crockpot cheeseburger concoction--No leftovers (hubby ate most, not me!!!), must have been good :)

Food006.jpg

Food004.jpg
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    That hamburger mix looks comfort food delicious! slurp