Hufflepuff Common Room

Options

Replies

• Molly_Louise
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've just updated my stats on the spreadsheet so I will no longer be posting them here in the common room, just updating daily on the spreadsheet. I'll post my weight here though, just so I can share my weight loss with everyone - well, I hope it's a loss!

I have next week off of sixth form as it's half term. I think it's the same as what American's call spring break. It's just a week off really, haha. It's definitely a much needed week off and I'm really excited about the 2 day break I'm having with my best friends. It'll be nice just to get away from everything! I'll miss you all when I'm gone though, obviously :wink:

Ugh, my step dad is such a pain in the rear end.

Nikki, thanks for explaining the house to Alaska. I've also taken your idea of changing my font colour to avoid confusion, perhaps we should all do this?
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i'm totally sabotaging my weight loss efforts by eating when i come straight home after work!! it's so frustrating but i have to come home early once a week to catch up on house work. i don't know what to do. does anyone have any suggestions? i lost weight in awhile i've just been maintaining.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    i'm totally sabotaging my weight loss efforts by eating when i come straight home after work!! it's so frustrating but i have to come home early once a week to catch up on house work. i don't know what to do. does anyone have any suggestions? i lost weight in awhile i've just been maintaining.

This may be way more info than you are looking for, I've have this problem too...only mine occurs at the end of the day at the dreaded witching hour of 4pm and 5pm. I am always willing to share my experiences, and always hopeful one can benefit from my experiences. Are you sabotaging because of food cravings? I sabotage out of a combination of craving sugar, sodium, anxiety and boredom. I have developed strategies, that I use as I need them (most days usually).
    1. If you can, identify with why you are overeating when you get home in the evenings...getting to the root of the cause can be very beneficial. Warning... It may be a lot harder than it sounds!
    2. If you are going to overeat at least stock up some "safe" foods to eat. My favorites include fruits, peanut butter, sugar free chocolate pudding, hot chocolate, anything with mint in it, and my newest finds cracker chips from special K and sugar free gum, and eat as much as you need to eat. At least these foods won't completely wreck you efforts, while you search and develop strategies against the root cause.
    3. Diversionary activities--I have found many times I can work through cravings, but I need to be distracted. A good book, a movie, reading the posts on MFP, calling a friend, going for a walk, taking a shower, brush your teeth---you get the point!
    4. Try exercising hard before you get home. Nothing takes my appetite away faster than a truly hard workout where I am slightly sick to my stomach afterwards...plus it is an awesome calorie burn
    4. Try to have a protein snack before going home. If you avoid the sugar, it may decrease both your appetite and the rebound effect sugar can cause to want you to have more.
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    [4. Try exercising hard before you get home. Nothing takes my appetite away faster than a truly hard workout where I am slightly sick to my stomach afterwards...plus it is an awesome calorie burn

All great advice but #4 is my fav! I have NO appetite when I come back from boot camp where I work out. All I want is my protein shake and a shower!!
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options

*** I've also taken your idea of changing my font colour to avoid confusion, perhaps we should all do this?

I just changed my font colors to be cool! Te-he-he-he!!

Hi loves! Hope you all are doing great!!
  • danizaga
    Options
    Thanks for the insight Carolina. The diversionary activities that are big for me are cleaning. The past couple of weekends I’ve been spring cleaning like crazy.

I have stocked a drawer at work with oatmeal, soups, think thin and special k cereal bars and wheat crackers. I’ve completely cut the eating at work to within my calorie budget. When I hit the gym straight after work I’m usually too tired to eat just shower and go straight to bed. It’s just on the days I go straight home or the weekends that I overeat.

I’ve realized if I’m hungry and can usually combat it with drinking massive amounts of water and iced tea. I drink a ton of water even if I don’t always log it. I have 2 32oz water bottle that I refill and drink all day at work. At home I have a huge cup that I fill with water or iced tea and carry with me around the house.

I think one of my biggest problems is my family and the lack of support from them. We’re all in different states of obesity in my family but for the most part they’re supportive and trying to make better choices like for Super Bowl Sunday my aunt put out a veggie tray. I have been trying to eat most of my calories at work and save myself about 300 calories for a post workout snack. I’m still struggling with being hungry on about 1890 calories a day but for the most part on gym days I can “deal” with being hungry.

But back to after work usually when I come home my sister is eating. My sister works from home at stops about 6p basically when I come home and she’s usually eating something like pizza, fast food or lately she’s been making Mexican food. I try to drink at least half my water cup before I eat anything but I don’t know if it’s the social aspect of eating that sucks me in or that my family eats in front of the tv.
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I vanished for a while there! I guess that means I’ve been busy and doing all kinds of stuff.

My yesterday (Wednesday) was a little crazy. I met my friend in the morning and helped her through her workout. We did 6 x 800 meters at 10 minute per mile pace. Then, showered up at the gym and went to work. Ate a ton at work, because I needed to get food in early so I did not get sick for my EVENING workout. After work, I went back to the track to run with the Wednesday night group. And wow, that was a tough workout. My group ran 6 x 600 meters aiming to go through at 2:21. For us Americans, that’s about 6:15-6:20 min/mile pace. The first few felt good, but as I fatigued, they got tough. The last few were a little slow and I really did not want to do them, but having the group there really helped a lot. At the end of the day, I was over on my calorie goal, so I’m happy about that. I’ve been making efforts to make sure I get everything in - and doing these two per day workouts can make it tricky - just from a logistical standpoint.

I was feeling good all day, a little tired (slept like poo on Tuesday night). During my second track workout, My nose was running like crazy - I kept having to spit out lots of snot. Super gross - but it happens sometimes. By the time I got home, my head was fully stuffed up. I went to bed feeling like I would wake up majorly sick. My fiance even slept in the spare bed because I looked so miserable. I’m not as stuffy today, but tired. I might go work a portion of my shift today. I’m drinking lots of green tea. I’ll stop by the grocery store later and get some juice too.

Glad it’s my planned day off from exercise today. :)

I’ve also been struggling with my own NEWT challenge! I guess I thought I eat more fruit and veggies than I really do. I’ve been upping it though with a little effort, I’m getting more in. Again, I can’t wait until Summer!

Dani - maybe get something pre-made for when you get home? Sort of like packing a lunch, but not. Eating is important, you can’t just NOT eat! But, if you made up a salad or something in advance with a portion limit already in place, you might have some luck?

Alaska, welcome! Hope you find a lot here to like. Tell us a bit about yourself. Do you live in Alaska? How much are you wanting to loose? Have kids? What kinds of exercise do you prefer? What are your goals?

Molly - sorry about the family stuff. At one point, when I was younger, BOTH my parents were with step-jerks. It sucks, but at this point, all you can really do is manage your reactions and attitude. As an adult you can make other choices - like how far away you live from them, how often you visit family... Until then, keep on doing the good things you can do! Enjoy your time with friends!

Bum - I see you went swimming the other day. Any incidents to report? And good for you for going to the gym yesterday! You make us proud. I struggle with upper body stuff too. I’ve been doing push ups now and then - and really need to include that more often.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Woo, I'm officially on half term! Technically I shouldn't finish school until 4pm tomorrow, but it's snowing like a maniac outside (by that, I mean there's like 3 inches of snow which is pathetic I know, but causes the entire country to almost collapse because clearly every year, we are unprepared for winter and every year the snow/cold weather/rain takes us by surprise. Britain, eh?) I live 30 miles from my school so I'm not going tomorrow as it's too far to travel with "so much snow" on the roads. I'm not complaining, I'm always up for a day off :laugh:

I did 124 minutes of exercise today which I was really happy with! I've updated the spreadsheet with H.P's, OWLs and NEWTs. I am really hoping for a loss this weekend, really really hoping. We'll see on sunday!
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Woo, I'm officially on half term! Technically I shouldn't finish school until 4pm tomorrow, but it's snowing like a maniac outside (by that, I mean there's like 3 inches of snow which is pathetic I know, but causes the entire country to almost collapse because clearly every year, we are unprepared for winter and every year the snow/cold weather/rain takes us by surprise. Britain, eh?) I live 30 miles from my school so I'm not going tomorrow as it's too far to travel with "so much snow" on the roads. I'm not complaining, I'm always up for a day off :laugh:

I am glad to know other countries do this too! Back in St. Louis they act like it is the deep-south and that they never expect snow. Not that I can drive it it!! LOL! I can bike in a few inches though! :wink: I am by no means used to Chicago snow (yet) I am glad I wasn't here last year when they got like 27"...There's always next winter. Sigh!

Yay for the Workout and enjoy the time off... or day or what not!!
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think I've got a cold. :( It's been over 4 years since I've had one, so I guess I'm due.

Almost fell asleep in my lunch today and then missed a turn going to the grocery store!

At home, curled up on the couch, I feel pretty good - but any minimal activity knocks me out.

Blah.
  • alaska11
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation bumflapassassin. Does your week run Sunday through Saturday?
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation bumflapassassin. Does your week run Sunday through Saturday?

Welcome to Hufflepuff! Our weeks for OWLS and NEWTS run Sun to Sat and we weigh in anytime between Sat and Mon
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Happy Friday Hufflepuffs!

Another long week comes to a close..."mindless mandatory education" . I need to snag a laptop this morning, so I can multitask on long overdue procedure updates...I refuse to do on the weekend. I know... a great way to spend the "day off" Just irritating because I postponed it last Fri to get some clients into clinic...they never showed (and why I did not expect it, I still don't know) and now this is the last day for the training, so I have to go to work sigh...rant over

Amber...great workout. I just started some workouts with a group. I thought I would not enjoy because I am so slow, but I found that working out with a group pushed me to go farther. Feel better soon. It is going around this year...I hope you have the milder version of it

Molly...Great job on the exercise Enjoy every minute of "spring break" with your friends and the surrounding snow. The threat of snow shuts us down most times, spikes sales of alcohol, bread, junk food etc...and then it is like an extra day off because the threat rarely amounts to anything down here unless it is a true ice storm..

Jenn...Great to hear from you and glad you made it to the spreadsheet

Danielle...Would your sister be interested in healthier versions of pizza or Mexican you prepare in advance and share? I have had to develop a big set of blinders for all of the junk my husband eats. I have started eating dinner at work so I am not tempted by the fast food alley on the way home, and then again tempted with the junk he is eating. It is working so far. We are now just about completely separated where meals/snacks are concerned. I am hopeful one day we can come back together with both of us being healthy eaters overall (and he realizes I AM NOT shrinking his clothes in the dryer :laugh: ), but the more I "nag" the more likely I am to push him to unhealthy eating out of spite, so I will just occasionally hint and lead by example.
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bum - I see you went swimming the other day. Any incidents to report? And good for you for going to the gym yesterday! You make us proud. I struggle with upper body stuff too. I’ve been doing push ups now and then - and really need to include that more often.

hehe, no further aquatic incidences although that's not to say that I haven't been a berk while doing other things!

I tried the sauna this week since I went in the steam room the week before and I must say I was more comfortable in the sauna - the steam room made my eyes really hurt. I have no idea what it's meant to do to me other than make me feel extremely hot and a little bit bored. Someone said it's good for arthritis but I haven't noticed any difference. bah.

This weekend I'm going to be making a robot costume and decor for my 30th which is next week (I'm having a robot themed party). Some of my friends have been making their costumes for weeks but mine will be made up mainly of cardboard boxes and tin foil.

Danni, you asked a while back about workout muzak. I listened to the song you mentioned and I think we have different ideas about good music to work out to although I thought I'd share a few of my favourites:

-knifehandchop - gabba/hardcore is really good to run to.
    -ozomatli - Latin influenced hiphop type stuff; happy and generally upbeat.
    -The rumble strips - British indie band a bit like Dexy's Midnight Runners
    -Best Fwends - quite fun and noisy electronic music - another that is good to run to.
    -serafin - another British indie/rock band with sturdy beats and not too boring to listen to.
    -Red Aunts - Noisy punk girlband. Quite angry; short songs with good tempo
    -The King Blues - reggae influenced pop punk
    -Blink 182 - a guilty pleasure but they're good to move to
    -Leftover Crack - More punk with a good tempo.
    -The pogues - another that's good to move to
  • alaska11
    Options
    Alaska, welcome! Hope you find a lot here to like. Tell us a bit about yourself. Do you live in Alaska? How much are you wanting to loose? Have kids? What kinds of exercise do you prefer? What are your goals?

Thanks for the welcome! What a workout you had!! Hope you are feeling better today.

I chose this house because I like that everybody communicates and its not just posts on the wall. Everybody comments about each others activities and comments. I have already found a lot to like here.

I am married and a mom of 3 with 2 grandchildren. My oldest daughter is 27 and a special ed teacher (mother of my 3 year old grandson). My son is 24 and just got out of the marine corp. Going to college so he can return as a marine corp. pilot (father of my 2 year old granddaughter). My youngest is 18 and a senior in high school. She will be attending University of Texas in the fall. I live in Texas.

My screen name is Alaska '11 because I started my weight loss journey in order to lose weight as part of a contest between my sisters, mom and me. In 2010 we started planning a cruise to Alaska and wanted to be fit for some of the excursions. I won the contest and liked the way I felt so much that I decided to continue on my weight loss journey. I have lost 43 lbs. so far and have about another 35 or so to go.

I started with the Jillian Michaels 30 DS and a couple of her other DVD's. I liked them and they worked for me. I also started walking and eventually added in a little jogging. I have participated in a couple of 5K's (walking/jogging) and ended up winning medals in my age group (I'm 49). Now I attend a bootcamp 3x's a week and I LOVE it!! She has us doing strength and cardio and I really like the intervals. We burn about 500 - 800 calories in an hour. I have never really liked exercise although I played tennis in high school so I am amazed at how much I am enjoying the workouts.

I gained back about 5 lbs. of what I had lost since winning the contest in June. I decided to recommit to my weight loss journey on Jan. 2nd and have lost 10 lbs. and 5.5 inches from my waist and hips since then. I am working in 90 day increments and my first 90 day challenge is to lose a total of 30 lbs. by April 2nd so I have 20 left to go. Another goal is to attend all 3 days of bootcamp and add an additional workout 2 days a week (I'm struggling with that one). My sisters are planning a trip to Hawaii in Sept. and my ultimate goal is to be at my goal weight and swimsuit ready by the trip (if I am able to go).

I am looking forward to getting to know the people in Hufflepuff. I am typically very competitive and am hoping this will help me reach my goals. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this house.

Kathy
  • alaska11
    Options
    Karen - Thanks for the info about how the weeks run

Molly - enjoy spring break - interesting to think of spring break with snow on the ground. The college students over here would not be happy. Spring break is typically beach party time. :drinker:

Nikki - Robot party sounds like fun. Would love to see some photos from that party.

Amber - I love group workouts as well. Being with others keeps me motivated as well. Also, more inclined to participate since I spent good money to attend! :wink:

Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • danizaga
    Options
    Molly- hope you have a great half term despite “all” the snow.

Amber- feel better soon. You’re advice has been super helpful.

Carolina-to get my sister to do anything I have to make her think it’s her idea. At this point I haven’t figured out how to get her to think eating healthy versions of our favorites is her idea. My sister is so stubborn, anything I say she interprets as a nag or a judgment statement. she says "she's too fat too function" whenever i try to talk to her about making some small change.

Bum-the one time I went into the steam room my skin started getting this burning sensation. I had to run out. thanks for the music suggestions. Haha ozomatli I used to be really into them in college, glad to know someone else likes them around here..como ves, como ves

Alaska- welcome welcome. where in texas are you from? my sister went to college in dallas so i've spent some time there.
  • alaska11
    Options
    Alaska- welcome welcome. where in texas are you from? my sister went to college in dallas so i've spent some time there.

I live near Corpus Christi.
  • danizaga
    Options

I live near Corpus Christi.

OMG IS THE SELENA MUSEUM STILL THERE!?!?!? i went to her store in san antonio right before it was closed. techno cumbia love that song
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Good morning fellow Hufflepuffs (or good afternoon or good evening depending on your part in the world). I am happy to report a 3 pound weight loss this week (or net 1 pound loss from last weeks sodium disaster)

Kathy-your trip to Hawaii sounds like a great goal. I went to Kauai once, and it was beautiful. the flight nearly killed me though, almost 10 hours total plus layovers. I loved all of the fresh tropical fruit and fish that was readily available. Bootcamp is a great way to get into shape. I have not quite been brave enough to try our class yet at the gym (though I am spinning during their class). Start with short easy workouts on your off days and build from there. I can't even begin to imagine how sore you are after class and the next day. Take it slow.

Dani--I understand completely about your sister, sometimes laying low on the advice is the best way, as not to alienate however sometimes it is hard watching someone you care about hurt themselves

Nikki-Happy birthday (early) Your party sounds like a great way to celebrate your birthday. Steam room bothers my eyes too, not sure why either, maybe it has to do with the moist environment vs the dry environment.

Have a great weekend everyone!