Hufflepuff Common Room

Options

Replies

• carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The challenges sound great...especially since I was going to make some homemade tomato sauce and portabella mushrooms
    No specific plans for Valentines day or the superbowl. I am bred and born a Steelers fan, so no personal interest this year, but it should be a good match up. I think either team stands a chance, it will all depend who plays better! My hubby and I are pretty low key, or to use Amber's term lame!! Gained 2 pounds this week. Not too upset because I know it is the sodium. I got nice and sweaty today and have lots of fresh fruits and veggies planned this week. Tomorrow I am going to be volunteering at an indoor sprint tri. I think volunteering is just much fun as competing. I love cheering people on!

Amber and Mandy... great job with the NSV this week :)
    Queeda Have fun at the pool with your superbowl party...I think I can safely say I have NEVER attended a pool party and a superbowl at the same event!
    Molly sounds like an awesome weekend! Have fun!

edited to add weekly HP since I don't think I posted this week
    HP for this week 345. owls and newts were a bust for this week...ready to get started tomorrow though!
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday morning!

I realized yesterday that I only counted minutes of running for this weeks house points and did not add any points for the other exercises! I'll get there yet!

Yesterday, I got 6 newts and 0 owls, but ran for more than half an hour. I was going to do 10 miles or so, but was feeling a little off.

So, weekly points total for me:

Newts: 44
    Owls 17
    HP 229

Also, weighed in this morning at 89.6 pounds, EXACTLY what I weighed in at last week.

Yes, let's all go visit Queeda! Pool party in February? Excellent!

Today probably won't be a great day for me as far as produce goes. Fiance and I are having lunch at my moms and dinner at his folks house. I do have some fruit and an avocado that I'll bring along with us so I have something fresh to snack on!

Ms Carolina, I like your attitude!
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1 Owl for each set of 10 if you did any exercise towards our house points.

Sorry guys but what does this mean? My brain doesn't seem to be working very well recently.
  • amber10101
    Options
    If you do exercises like lunges, sit ups, push ups, barbell curls... If you do 10 of 'em you get a house point.

So, 10 of anything = 1 point. 10 pushups and 10 minutes of running would be 2 points.

60 minutes of running, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups would be 8 points. :)
  • skinnysuzie
    skinnysuzie Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Sorry guys but what does this mean? My brain doesn't seem to be working very well recently.

Sorry Bumpf.....that was a typo, I meant to say 1 Owl for any exercise towards house points, but that has been upgraded to 1 Owl for each 10 minutes of cardio. Sorry for the misprint.
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    I think I have not posted any stats since tuesday, so at the risk of repeating myself, here are the rest of my stats for the week. That is another reason why the spreadsheet is so nice, I won't have to try a go back to reread posts to figure out the last time I posted stats.

Newts:
    Owls:
    House Pts.:
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Whoops, hit the wrong button and the computer posted my post before I was done, sooo here are my stats

Wed. 2/1 through Saturday 2/4

Newts: 28
    Owls: 0
    House Pts. : 27
  • bumflapassassin
    Options
    OK, thanks, I get it now. A mechanic is looking at my car tomorrow...I sense an expensive quote (along with a wagging finger and a stern "you shouldn't have put it off for so long") I got stuck at my friend's house last night because we had a bit of snow and the taxi drivers freaked out and stopped answering the phone. I have therefore had a disrupted Sunday, although I did end up meeting with some old friends and helping them put some pictures up in an exhibition in the local shopping centre. They took pictures of me pretending to contemplate the artwork and I look like a real geek in them. heh. Hope you all have a good week
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Hello!

Sorry I didn't post yesterday.

Stats for Saturday 4th

OWLs - 2
    NEWTs - 6
    H.P - 240

Weight is now 149!! I'm so so happy.

This weeks challenge. I understand that it's 1 OWL per set, but then an additional OWL for every 10 minutes of exercise completed? So 20 mins of exercise is 2 OWLs, plus however many completed set. Someone please correct me if I am wrong! :)

5/02

OWLs - 8 (5 from 50 mins of exercise, 3 from sets of crunches, lunges and jumping jacks)
    NEWTs - 3
    H.P - 50

6/2

OWLs - 5
    NEWTs - 1
    H.P - 50

I hope everyone had a good weekend!
  • bumflapassassin
    Options
    I did a 30DS workout today but only someone with severe counting problems could keep track of the sets you do in those. So I thought I'd award myself 20 OWLs for that, which would be below the number of sets I did but any more seems greedy. Is everyone ok with that? I did also do a bit of walking-as-though-I'm-going-to-be-late, so I'll be adding that as cardio mins too.
  • amber10101
    Options

Sorry Bumpf.....that was a typo, I meant to say 1 Owl for any exercise towards house points, but that has been upgraded to 1 Owl for each 10 minutes of cardio. Sorry for the misprint.

Oh.... Oh... Wait....

So, did you mean that if I did 10 push ups, 10 sit ups and ran for 30 minutes, that would be 3 OWLS? one point for each exercise?

Somebody, decide and stop me from making more of a mess!!
  • amber10101
    Options
    How did it get to be Tuesday already??

Sunday was a strange day for me as far as eating goes. I went to my moms for lunch and then my fiances parents for dinner and super bowl stuff. Both meals were seriously lacking in veggies, but I managed to get a couple servings in. Sundays run was nice though. That little bit of a cold I’d felt on Saturday was gone, so I was able to get in the 6 miles I’d wanted.

Monday was better for me in regards to eating. I had veggies with both lunch and dinner and was able to get some fruit in there during the day. On Monday nights, I lead my running group. It was lots of fun last night. We are getting new members this time of year, so it’s great getting to know other people.

Today, I was loathe to get out of bed to get my 6 miles in before work. My bunny wanted to snuggle, and when she demands snuggles, one must oblige. So, I stayed in bed with her for an extra half an hour. Did some push ups, leg lifts and crunches this morning. Will get my run in after work this evening.

I’ve got collard greens on the menu for tonight. Anyone else with big veggie plans?

Molly - that’s the way I understand it. I think we have the potential for high numbers this week. So, let’s all get going!!

Bum - that is a lot! Good for you for doing all that work. I’ve never done one of those videos, so I don’t really know what it’s like. I think I may have mucked up the OWL challenge... Let’s let Suzy clarify?

Queeda - how goes the new job? Getting settled in? Have you found any new and exciting produce, half a world away?

How is everybody else doing?

Sunday:
    OWLs: 6
    NEWTs: 2
    HP 60

Monday:
    OWLs: 4
    NEWTs: 4
    HP: 40
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to add my HP to the mix... Are we using the google thing?! If we are I am confused... Nothing new!!

Jenn_W House Points for 1/29 to 2/4 is 500...

Thank you Lovies!!
    Have a great week!!
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I still feel like I am coming down with something though I am not actually "sick" Annoying really, I just prefer to be sick and get it over with! I go through this the every year and know the pattern all too well. Extra Vit C and airborne for me this week. I have been sleeping an extra hour in the mornings, so I am only working out about half of what I usually do.
    I'm kinda of bummed I have to come in to work on the 2 days (just part of it) I had scheduled off, I have now acquired 3 meetings and a training :( I need all the time away I can get since it seems I can't ever get one complete week off due to staffing)
    In the past, I have always counted any owl activity into my House points, my vote is to count them both together, which I agree can produce some higher numbers!
    I made a great broccoli salad this weekend. The ingredient mix is kind of odd, but it tastes great.. It has broccoli slaw, toasted almonds and toasted ramen noodles (uncooked), cranrasins and oilve oil and vinegar for dressing. I also have some portabella mushroom caps I want to roast in the oven a bit later this week.

Jenn--as far as I know we are using it now. we posted a starting weight, a goal for the month. I am going to update the spreadsheet every couple of days with my totals

Amber--still have not acquired a taste for collard greens...even since relocating to the south where it is a food group all on its own and even then when they are cooked in fatback (I personally think that is more gross than eating them plain)

bumflapassass great job with starting 30DS

Queeda--enjoy every minute of that 80 degrees while you can! Hope things are going well as you settle in.

Hope everyone's week is going well!

Hope everyone is having a good week.
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I’m back and so glad to no longer be lurking or sick
    Queeda- glad you and the kids are safe and sound. I was watching international house hunters this weekend and it was in abu dhabi!! I was totally thinking of you when they were showing the mall and all the moms doing their mall walk.

Amber- I’m not sure if I’m an idiot or just googledocs challenged but how do I view the rest of the owl challenge? I can only see “1pt for each 10 min ca” what’s the rest of it? or how can I view it? FYI I love spinach dip and the type that’s made with sour cream.

Molly- I have to say my mantra during college was a 3.0 gpa is good enough, so I underachieved a tad bit I still got into graduate school and had LOTs of fun.

No plans for valentine’s day other than going to the gym but I’m taking that Thursday off work to bum around. Molly sounds like you and your friends are going to have a lot of fun. I did nothing but eat on super bowl Sunday which I spent at my grandpa’s house. My 2 high school guy friends came over and my family thought they were a couple, but they’re not. It was a good laugh better than half time. I just kept waiting for something to happen.
    I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone working on the owl/newt challenges and the googledoc you guys are awesome and keep me coming back for more.

Bum- you count the set you do in 30DS? Hardcore

Carolina- fight the sickness! i was the last in my house to get sick but I got it worst. Hope the airborne makes a difference. FYI I ended up eating lots of cake instead of ice cream, lots of yellow cake and funfetti cookies

i'm just going to move forward with the challenges from this week forward since i was way behind.
  • skinnysuzie
    Options

Oh.... Oh... Wait....

So, did you mean that if I did 10 push ups, 10 sit ups and ran for 30 minutes, that would be 3 OWLS? one point for each exercise?

Somebody, decide and stop me from making more of a mess!!
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    I didn't mean to clarify, 1 owl for each set of 10 pushups/situps/jumping jacks.....whatever kind of calisthenic you do PLUS 1 Owl for each 10 minutes of cardio, so 10 situps, 10 pushups and 30 minutes of running would be 5 owls.
    Dani, I did run out of room while trying to type the owl challenge into the google doc, but it is here in the message boards, and if you don't want to scroll all the way back, it is here in this message Heehee.

Yayy. it is hump day,,,,,c'mon Friday. Have a great day Huffles.
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi Hufflepuff Members! I would like to join your house. What do I need to do? I have read through a few posts and I love the way everybody communicates and encourages each other.
    Thanks!
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    skinny- thanks for the clarification

i've been inspired by googledocs to make a couple of handy spread sheets for my measurements and blood pressure. i was going old school and actually writing them down on random bits of paper.

does anyone have any new music suggestions? i've just heard gotye's song "somebody that i used to know" yesterday and i was like WHOA, where have i been?!??! actually i've been listening to slacker radio's top hits of 2011 i'm so behind on all the new stuff. it's so slow at work! just got to get over the hump
  • bumflapassassin
    Options

Bum- you count the set you do in 30DS? Hardcore

BLIMEY! No I just awarded myself an arbitary 20 owls becuase I COULDN'T keep up with the counting! Looking back I think I may have sold myself short there...

Today I talked myself out of going to the gym then I reminded myself that if I don't do excercise I have to do something really boring so I talked myself into going again. Glad I did too because even though my upper body strength is pitiful still, I can feel my puny arms getting slighty more resiliant.

Hello Alaska, indeed we hufflepuffs are pretty cool :glasses:
    Not too much needed for this group really, we are in friendly competition with the other hogwarts houses:

1. Each week we weigh in between Friday and Monday and the % lost is averaged and whichever house has the greatest loss at the end of the month wins the quiddich cup.
    2. Hufflepuffs keep a record of the number of mins spent excercising. 1 min = 1 house point. Again, this is %'d. The house with the most points at the end of the month wins the house cup.
    3. Within Hufflepuff we have house challenges; food (NEWT) and excercise (OWL) challenges. These change on a weekly basis and the 2 Hufflepuffs that win these challenges are selected to be prefect for 2 weeks. Prefects get to chose challenges for 2 weeks, having a go at both food and excercise.

This week we are being awarded 1 NEWT per fruit/veg portion we eat and there is a slightly more confusing OWL challenge where you earn 1 OWL by either completing a set of 10 of something or 10 mins of cardio excercise...and I may have misunderstood but I think if we did 100 jumping jacks in 10mins we could get 11 NEWTs?

Also there is this document where we are now recording our stats, making things so much easier for our head of house, Queeda (Lhurtubise).
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkCoTRlaFXkodDZXZ2hZLUhlUEpKODdaSEhXR0FBWUE

I have also changed my font colour because I don't want to accidentally alter someone elses numbers