Week 5

Options

Replies

• diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Last week was supposed to be my week 5 but i came down with strep throat. I only got one run in, so today I started week 5 again and just finished W5D1 pretty easily, the rest of the week looks tough though, should be interesting.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    just finished week 4 training yesterday and having cold feet to begin week 5....

This is exactly where I am at the moment, except I finished W4D3 today. Although all of the positive stories about W5D3 is encouraging. I hope I get to post my own encouraging story in a few days!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I did W5D1 this morning. I made it thru all the 5 min runs, but WOW was I slow. I ran/walked a 5k on Sunday and I'm still feeling a bit stiff from that. I'll see how it goes, but I'm not optimistic about being able to run 20 minutes straight later this week!
  • HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Can I join in the chorus of "What?? 20minutes straight?? Are you kidding me??" I finished Day 2 today, the 8 minutes were hard... guess I'm gonna have to talk myself into the full 20 tomorrow. :frown:
  • HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, I woke up this morning and it was raining! I almost chickened out, but I forced myself out of bed. Ya know what, the 20 minutes wasn't THAT bad. It was hard, and the last 2 minutes I really had to push myself but I was able to do it! If anyone else is scared of the Week 5 Day 3, it's not as bad as we think it's going to be. You can do it!
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Did week 5 day 2 today, and while i have not had much trouble up until now, this run was brutal. I am contributing that to the fact that I did a very intense weight circuit just prior to the run.....guess I should just focus on one thing at a time for now, redoing this run tomorrow and then the dreaded 20 mins on friday.
  • shydaisi
    Options
    W5D1 this evening... My hamstrings are a little sore from a circuit training class on Monday. Hoping they won't inhibit me... thinking the soreness is light enough that it should disappear once they warm up a bit.
  • shydaisi
    Options
    W5D1 complete!!! My run was fantastic!!! I have been doing my runs at my gym on an indoor track. I am not sure exactly how far one revolution is, but I am guessing it is 1/16th of a mile. It seems like it has really supported my watch the clock habit. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to do my first few weeks in a controlled environment where I am ensured I can run without distractions because my son is in the childcare. However, today's run I decided to take outdoors, and it was A-MAZ-ING!!!!! I completed all three 5-minute runs without issue. I was able to focus on the run and how I was feeling rather than how many times I had been around the track - me and my analytic brain had figured out that I generally ran one revolution in approximately 30 seconds, so I would count as I ran to mentally keep track of how much farther I had to go.

When I got home today, I used Google maps to determine exactly how far I ran in the 31 minutes of the program today, and it looks like I was right at about 2.8 miles in 31 minutes. I am hoping the map program was correct, because that means I completed the session at a pace of about 11:04 minutes per mile! I will be fantastically happy if I can complete my 5K on December 19th at that pace!
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating week 5... family illness derailed my running efforts this week. So I redid week 5 day 2 on Tuesday and almost died. 20 minutes today - where last week i was feeling really confident, this week I'm very scared... Will report back in how I went!
  • Primalgal
    Options
    Week 5, Day 2 today and it was a breeze! I was really dreading the 8 min runs, but they didn't seem hard at all! Looking forward to the challenge of the 20 min. run.....will either do it Sunday, or Monday.

Everyone is doing great!
  • Primalgal
    Options
    W5D3..20 minute run.......DONE!!!! Was not as tough as I thought! Don't fear it.......you can do it!
  • shydaisi
    Options
    I will be doing my 20 minute run tomorrow...I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.
  • shydaisi
    Options
    I am so fantastically proud of myself!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! Not only did I run 20 minutes, I ran 2 miles (the ENTIRE 2 miles) in 21 minutes and 40 seconds, giving me a pace of 5.5 mph, or 10:50 per mile! (I really wanted to run the entire 2 miles, and I felt like I could have run farther had time allowed!)

It was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I found my stride some time in the first 5 minutes or so...I made sure to pace myself, and when the voice came on and said "You are halfway there, you have completed 10 minutes of running!", I didn't even feel like I had been running for 10 minutes! In my mind I was thinking that was 2 minutes longer than my longest interval so far...if I can do that, surely I can finish!! I also was able to turn my focus towards the distance rather than the time. I *really* wanted to clear the 2 miles in the 20 minutes, so I think my pace towards the end was a little faster as I focused on the goal rather than maintaining a feasible pace. This also helped with the mental aspect of the length of the run.

Interestingly enough the run I dreaded the most (I have dreaded it every. single. day. since I began the program) is the one I have (to date) enjoyed the most. I am sure it has SOMEthing to do with the fact that I am sooooo insanely proud of myself...but either way...lol
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am so fantastically proud of myself!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a great feeling isn't it! WELL DONE!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the 20-minute completers!

I've done it before on my last trip through C25K. I'll do it again this week, and hopefully outside, and not on the (*$@*& treadmill. I hope the weather warms up soon.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Boom! W5D3 done. 2.44 miles, including warm-up and warm-down.

10:14 pace for the first mile running, around 10:30-11:00 for the second. I'm happy with that result.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/mVpFW7kDPQc

See y'all in the Week 6 thread!
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Anyone experience having a hard time on Week 5 day 2? Was running and seems as though it was harder than Week 5 day 1. Oh well will try again probably since i had a tough time.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought W5D2 was the hardest run of that week - worse than W5D1 AND W5D3 (although maybe that's because I was building up W5D3 in my head). I did W5D2 twice and then W5D3 was fine.
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Week 5 day 1 done, went quite well, ran outside. I even did a 10 min run afterwards!
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I did W5, D1 yesterday and I felt SO good afterward! I got new sneakers this weekend, and I think that actually really helped. I've always HATED running, but this makes it so easy and I actually really enjoy it! W5 D2 tomorrow...