Week 5

Options

Replies

• ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I finished W5D3 on Friday and it felt great! I run on the treadmill in my garage and have found that covering the display on the treadmill with a towel greatly improves my focus and determination to finish! Good luck everyone!!!
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 2 done! I took it easy pace-wise and didn't have a problem. It was really hot all day but luckily it cooled down in the evening and a breeze came up. The first 8 minutes weren't a problem, so I was feeling confident and the second 8 minutes were fine as well - in fact I continued running throughout the cool down period so ran for 13 minutes without stopping - haven't done that since high school! I jogged at a really slow steady pace though, which I'll do again for the next run. I can work on speed later.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I jogged at a really slow steady pace though, which I'll do again for the next run. I can work on speed later.

Great approach! I hated W5D2 and needed 2 goes at it...and the speed comes with practice (well, I'm faster than I was, I wouldn't say I was speedy) :noway:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Did W5 D3 on Friday...It was rough. The last 6 or 8 minutes killed my legs and I was jogging about as fast as I'd normally do a brisk walk. But I still finished and was pretty proud of myself. It was also the first time ever in my life that I jogged a mile. That's a HUGE milestone for me.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Starting my Week 5 tomorrow, anxious to see how it turns out :)
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 5 and ending up doing Day 1 twice just because Day 3 scares the crap out of me. What a weenie,eh? ;) After reading all the responses,I am just going to suck it up and give it a go! :)
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Just finished Week 5 Day 1 :) It actually went well!
  • ProjectTina
    Options
    I did day 1 on Sunday and day 2 today. Both went pretty well actually. However, during the last two minutes of day 2 I started to struggle a bit and had to lower my speed. I think it's a mental thing that I know I can get past if I do day 2 again. I've also followed somebody's suggestion to cover the timer on my treadmill, and it's been working so well!

Ugh, I can't make up my mind if I'm going to go for day 3 on Thursday, or repeat day 2... The advice is to not be afraid of repeating days, but you shouldn't be afraid to move on either. I'm not sure which afraid I am though... :-/
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I did day 1 on Sunday and day 2 today. Both went pretty well actually. However, during the last two minutes of day 2 I started to struggle a bit and had to lower my speed. I think it's a mental thing that I know I can get past if I do day 2 again. I've also followed somebody's suggestion to cover the timer on my treadmill, and it's been working so well!

Ugh, I can't make up my mind if I'm going to go for day 3 on Thursday, or repeat day 2... The advice is to not be afraid of repeating days, but you shouldn't be afraid to move on either. I'm not sure which afraid I am though... :-/

I would forge on to Day 3 and if you feel you need more training then repeat the whole week. I wouldn't skip to the next Week Level until your comfortable.
  • ProjectTina
    Options

I would forge on to Day 3 and if you feel you need more training then repeat the whole week. I would skip to the next Week Level until your comfortable.

Thanks, that's a good advice :-) I've surprised myself several times so far, so will just take it slowly and see how it goes.
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I just did w5d2 tonight too, it actually went pretty well, but I was definitely worn out by the end of the second run. I contemplated doing d2 again, but I think most of my hesitation about trying d3 is mental not physical. So... I'm going to give it a try! Worst case scenario I'll take a walk break at some point and try it again another day.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! I found W5D2 harder than W5D3 (and yes I did do W5D2 twice 'just to make sure' - that was the only day I repeated). Just go for it and hey, you may surprise yourself!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Woohoo Just did W5D2 , it went well but I'm noticing my average HR has gone from 134 to 141 which is not bad at all but it showing me that it's definitely getting more difficult.
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I jogged at a really slow steady pace though, which I'll do again for the next run. I can work on speed later.

Great approach! I hated W5D2 and needed 2 goes at it...and the speed comes with practice (well, I'm faster than I was, I wouldn't say I was speedy) :noway:
    Thanks flabulous!

I managed to do W5D3 yesterday - yay! I think I made a mistake running before dinner though, I usually run 1-2 hours after dinner - but it's getting darker earlier, so I thought I'd try before. I only had a light no-carb lunch and I really struggled. I forced myself to do it, mind over matter and everything - but afterwards I felt really weak. And today I've just felt lethargic and unable to exercise. I presume it must be something to do with glycogen stores?

I'll definitely only run after a good meal from now on!
  • ProjectTina
    Options
    I did it! :D So pleased right now. And towards the end it actually felt like time was moving faster, something which has never happened this far. I basically followed everyone's tips about taking it slow, focusing on getting halfway first, breathing properly, etc. All this helped me get through the most challenging bits when I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Plus I thought about all those severely obese people on The Biggest Loser who can run for longer than 20 min, and I wasn't about to be any worse *lol*
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I just finished Week 5!!! Man that was so awesome :) Can only imagine the pain coming in Week 6.

By the way if anyone wants to be friends and support each other through this I'm more than happy to help. Just send me a friend request :)
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did week 5 day 1 yesterday and felt good.

I just peeked at week 5 day 2 and day 3 and I am terrified!

I just need to keep reminding myself I was terrified of three minutes and now that is easy-peasy.

I may redo week 5 day 1 tomorrow and do day two twice before doing day 3. I had the stomach bug earlier this week and my days are "off" anyway. BLAH.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options

I just need to keep reminding myself I was terrified of three minutes and now that is easy-peasy.

I may redo week 5 day 1 tomorrow and do day two twice before doing day 3. I had the stomach bug earlier this week and my days are "off" anyway. BLAH.

You'll be ok it look daunting but I think you'll come through it and feel great!
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I made it through day 3! I debated all day whether to go to the gym tonight, I had a big exam this morning and didn't get much sleep last night so I wasn't sure I was quite ready for the big run. I decided to give it a try though and it actually went great. I made it 2.1 miles in 20 minutes and was tired by the end, but didn't feel like I was going to keel over.

Good luck to everyone else who has day 3 coming up soon :)
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options

this is me exactly!!! well, minus the stomach bug part! My ankles started hurting with about 2 minutes to go on my last 5 minute run today. Not sure if I am going to move on to day 2 or repeat day 1 and see how my ankles feel. Or is it a mental block? lol aaahhh!