2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Oh, Amy, I am so sorry! I honestly can't relate, but I can only imagine what you and your family must be going through.You and your family are in my prayers. As for Halloween, don't go if you don't want to. But if you do, you will still rock that costume because you have a smokin hot bod!!!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Amy - I'm so sorry about your father. I will send as many good vibes your way as possible. I think you should do whatever you want for a few days. Times like this put our quest to lose 10-15 lbs in rather harsh perspective. *hugs*

Ashley - I sucked it up last week too :/ my 'easing' in turned out to be barely getting into it. Way to get some runs in though!

Beeps - good for you for experimenting to find what works...I'm sorry you don't feel you can have an open diary. I hate how judgey people get! I will just not log usually if it's been bad/all over the place.

Chloe - sorry about the test! I hate missing my period (which sometimes happens to me on the pill...I'm constantly having to switch to lower dose ones so my body has periods)...I get nervous I'm pregnant when I'm not even trying!

2 week goals:

1. Crossfit 3-4 times a week (finished the intro classes and pumped to start!), 1-2 'other' workouts - lunch circuit class or yoga.

2. LOG EVERYTHING and complete everyday!

3. Try to keep 80-90% of calories as 'good' calories, trying to keep clean, whole foods etc.

4. Check in with friends/this group more. Interaction helps keep me on track!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    thanks all for your kind words. I think you are right, revealing my mid-section for a costume is not the most important thing on my mind. and I can try to limit the drinking and smoking for my mental health and physical health, and exercise and just not add to the stress in my head right now.
  • SarahClag
    SarahClag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Amy, I hope you are hanging in there! I'm praying for you and your family. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I can't imagine what you must be going through. Lean on those close to you, and don't be hard on yourself these next several days. Take what time you need.

Kate- excited to hear about your delve into crossfit. It's something I'm interested in trying as well. Also, accountability is good for me.

How is everyone doing? I'm excited about starting NROL4W over from the beginning- today was stage 1 workout A. Today was a good food day too. Finally feel like i'm getting back on track. I had three big parties this weekend, so this feels like a good starting point.

Goals:
    Keep with as many 3 day lifting weeks as possible.
    Try to stick with 1500 cal weeks (with good macros), so I can justify a bit more on the weekends.
    Log everything.
    Try to fit in running between lifts.
  • SarahClag
    SarahClag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sarah - lifting has strengthened my weak back in ways-and-means I would never have believed, before. I used to stick to cardio and hot yoga, believing THAT was "good for my back". Nuh-uh....lifting has been SO MUCH BETTER. My back has greatly improved, as has my flexibility. Good luck with the lifting! It's worth it!

Thanks very much for the advice, beeps!! It really helps to hear. I was a little apprehensive about starting NROL today, but it really didn't feel any different than the mild discomfort I feel during the course of the day.
    Also, I was interested to hear about your findings about eating and not eating breakfast. I'm not usually hungry in the morning when I wake up, and don't feel like I would be naturally until around noon.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Amy - that sounds like a great plan (especially with the smoking! :) Take care of yourself and be kind to your body.

Sarah - you'll be a regular pro at stage 1 this time around! Good goals, you can do it!

Did my first 'full' crossfit class yesterday which was great. I am still deciding if I am going to go again today...they program so that you can do it in a row but my hip flexor is a bit unhappy with me this morning so I am going to play it by ear. Finally yesterday I felt like I had a well balanced day yesterday. I could still clean it up a bit but I am slowly but surely getting there.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I am feeling really good today....crazy how a good healthy day with good food and exercise can change up your mentality! I also think returning to logging my exercise cals with my HRM with motivate me with workouts. Makes me feel like I am "getting something" from my workouts. Got in a good 3 mile run last night. Plan to do the same tonight. I will lift either tonight or tomorrow depending on my mood.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Sarah - I think you'll really enjoy NROL4W!

chui - I pulled my neck/back/shoulder AGAIN - it went into full spasm during my sleep (or lack of it) last night. So, yes, listen to your body! Congrats on getting a 'crossfit" class under your belt, though....I remain very interested in crossfit, but am not going to get ANOTHER membership when I already have one!

Yay, Chloe - welcome back to the REAL YOU!

I might have to take some time off from lifting because of this injury - we shall see. I guess I could always at least do the bottom half of my body - it's what NEEDS the most work, anyway. Right now, I'm still in quite a bit of pain - haven't taken any advil, but might have to.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the running can prove to be theraputic (more so than smoking or drinking, although I'll be honest, that's always my first instinct when something tough comes along).

Beeps, sorry to hear about your shoulder/neck/back. That is a horrible place to hurt, hope it feels better soon!

Chloe, glad to hear that you got some answers, and are getting back to yourself again!

Chui, glad to hear you like crossfit. I'm kind of interested in it, but not in the membership costs. It has my attention though :)

My cold is 90% gone, but I'm stuck with a hacking cough that makes cardio difficult. So, this week I'm going to stick to 3 days of lifting (one down, 2 to go) and one day of cardio and hopefully I can kick the cough. How I ever smoked with a cold is beyond me, I must have been crazy. I spent yesterday lifting at the gym with my hubby, it was fun, and he was able to check my form on some lifts that I was questioning, so it was very helpful. One more workout and phase one of NROLFW is done!

I also need to make sure that I'm drinking enough water, I didn't do a very good job of that this weekend, but I did a decent job of keeping my calories in check. So for the next 2 weeks I'm going to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day, and keep my macros in check.

Hope everyone has a great week!
  • chuisle
    Options
    So true, Chloe! Glad to hear you're feeling better too!

Rogie - yeah, it can be a bit pricey! I found a gym where I got the intro classes and first month for $100 and its $110 a month for 3 classes per week after that. I probably wouldn't consider it if my work didn't have a 'fitness' subsidy ($250 a year) I can spend on on this stuff. That said, I really felt I wanted to take it up a level and that a group setting and people pushing me would do that. I will likely, assuming I like the first month, do it through the end of the year and reevaluate. Hope you start feeling better!

Beeps - sorry on the pull! I know you're right and I am trying to be extra considerate of my body since crossfit can be tough. I'll let you know how it goes! Already I feel NROL has been great preparation...the coaches are over the moon about how solid my form is on a lot of these things and the base strength I already have. I felt like a rockstar in the beginner class, I have a feeling you would too!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Chui- I have a few friends who do crossfit and they LOVE it! Maybe next year after I get some old bills paid off!

Beeps- Sorry to hear about your back/shoulder! I know you love to lift, but take care of yourself first.

Rogie - I feel you! I have been sick since last last Tues. Today is the first day I've worked out since Tuesday. I just did the elliptical, but I feel better.

So, I'm bummed that I stopped logginf while I was sick. I thought about going back and filling it in, just to day I logged it, but then reallized there's no point. I know I didn't eat all crazy, just carb heavy. I've been thinking my macros are way off for the day, but they balanced almost perfectly for the week 41/29/10. If it's balanced for the week, does that count?

Tonight, I get to bake 100 mini cupcakes for the fall carnival. YEAH! Tomorrow I'm going back to my youtube video workouts, which I'm very excited about!
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wow! So much to get caught up on. I had a crazy week followed by a weekend away. Every fall I go up to my parents cottage on a lake here in NH with my sisters, some friends and our moms. We do scrapbooking, eat & drink (a lot), watch chick flicks, go for walks and relax. It's awesome, but I did overindulge big time, so I need to get back on track. I am currently doing the P90X program for my exercise, but I need to get back to logging my food and staying within the guidelines for eating.

Amy, I am so sorry to hear about your father. Chloe, I am glad you are doing better. Beeps, I hope your back/shoulders feel better soon. I've been there and it's awful. Kate, you are awesome for doing Crossfit - it's hard core! Rogie, I have been going through the same thing - the cough has lasted over two months and is still going. Yuck! I hope you feel better soon.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Abigail - I was WONDERING where you'd gone to! Sounds like you had TONS of fun - good for you!

I just got through a BRUTAL job interview. I won't be getting THAT job....wasn't sure I wanted it, but, now that I've made a complete jack-*kitten* out of myself, I really wish I hadn't bothered.

Sheesh.

Anyway, my shoulder is still very sore. I hope I get some sleep tonight. I'll have to find JUST a lower-body work-out tomorrow, I think - anyone care to post their lower-body stuff?? (yes, i can do lunges with DB's, I expect. I can probably also do squats with DB's. Not sure I can deadlift, but probably.)
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options

anyone care to post their lower-body stuff?? (yes, i can do lunges with DB's, I expect. I can probably also do squats with DB's. Not sure I can deadlift, but probably.)

I do all my stuff with dumbells. I can't lift as much, but it's better than nothing. I do squats, one legged split squat, dead lifts (stiff, regular and sumo which I love), and cleans.

I need to work out. All I've done is walked this week. Tonight, I do strength! I tweaked my right lower calf/ankle. It started hurting after running on the mill Sunday, but I think its just muscular. I hadn't been on that thing in months. Hopefully I can get an outdoor run in on Thursday and maybe over the weekend. I got new shoes and I LOVE runnign in new shoes! I also got a gomoji and it's fantastic. I've been rolling my hips and IT bands. I'm determined to get those things loose! Check them out; I got the handheld mini masager one at my running store. http://www.gomoji.com/products/moji_360__ultimate_bundle/38.php It doesn't look like they sell just the mini online. My store charged me $30 I think.

I hope you're all having a great week!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Careful with that tweak, Better!

I've decided I'm just going to do cardio at the gym, today. My shoulder/neck/back is just too sore. Even carrying DB's around probably isn't the best idea. I haven't had a "break" from lifting in 2 months, so I'm going to take an "unscheduled' break right now. It's not really what I 'want', but I think my body does!

I am ALREADY worried about the DOMs when I get back to the lifting. In the meantime, cardio, at least, makes me FEEL GOOD when I'm done. I'm kind of craving that sort of relaxed/de-stressed feeling, anyway.

HAVE A GREAT DAY, LADIES!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks, again, all you NTH Ladies, you're very nice. The tumor board says my dad's right kidney should be removed next week, so just glad that we will have that, and maybe some more information and course of action because sometimes the waiting is the hardest part. I have been running, and drinking, but not smoking, so that is a balance, or something.
    Kate, I think cross-fit is pretty cool, I did a couple of intro classes but couldn't commit because I already have two gym memberships and take advantage of the $250 year my work gives me too!
    Beeps, I think you are a rockstar for putting yourself out there on the job interviews, that can be the hardest part, so don't beat yourself about it, you're good enough and smart enough and remember, you're interviewing them too!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Amy- still thinking of you and your family. And nice job on staying away from the smoking!

Beeps- I hate that feeling when you leave an interview and are like "yep definitely not getting that job", sometimes the personality of the person interviewing just doesn't mesh with your own I think

Abigail- have fun on your girls weekend!

I had a pretty much perfect Monday through Wednesday this week. I plan on keeping up the perfection today throughout the day. But, tonight we are going to a friends for chili. I have a couple cocktails prelogged and going to take today as a rest day. I will be over calories, but I created enough of a deficit the past few days that I am justifying it. I am off work tomorrow and I am really going to try to keep on track this weekend. The scale is moving down and I really would like to keep it that way!
  • chuisle
    Options
    Abigail - glad you enjoyed! Sounds like a great time!

Beeps - Amy is 100% right -you're a catch and an interview is a two way street (even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes). Plus you should be proud you're trying to push yourself-so many people don't bother. I hope your shoulder improves! Taking a break sounds like a great idea. LP says 8-12 weeks a full stop break is called for.

Amy - good job trying to maintain balance. I'll be thinking about your family and hoping for good news.

Chloe - again, love the photo. Way to go on your beautiful logs! I think a cocktail or two is nothing to worry about :)

Another Crossfit class down today! I am really enjoying the workouts! We warm up, do a strength skill (so a specific compound or olympic lift) then do a WOD which varies a lot. I'm pumped to keep going and see how I improve. Last night I had a work event and did pretty well. I ate chicken before I went, only had a few beers (the event is called TechCocktail so people were all drinking) and then came home, ate my chicken and rice and veggies and went to bed! I'll do another crossfit session tomorrow then hopefully a run or yoga over the weekend.

Ready for it to be Friday!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ashley--I hope your calf/ankle is feeling better!

Beeps--it's probably a good idea to take it easy on the lifting until your shoulder/neck/back is feeling better. Even if you're not targeting those areas, it's probably prertty hard to avoid engaging those areas when you lift.

Amy--I'm still thinking about you and your family! Hopefully they'll have more information for you soon.

Choloe--Nice work on your perfect Monday through Wednesday and pre-logging those cocktails! Weekends are the hardest for me too, but I'm sure seeing the scale react to your good habits is a great motivator.

Kate--Nice job keeping things under control at your work event! Crossfit sounds like a lot of fun, I've heard good things but I've never tried.

Not much going on here. I didn't do so great on my logging last weekend, and I went way over my calories on Friday (although I did log it at least to keep myself honest), but I've been logging everything since Monday and have stayed within my calorie goals. This weekend will be tough again because I'm going to a charity event tomorrow and I'm having brunch with a friend on Saturday, and I'm always bad about logging if I can't do it right after I eat or if I eat food that I didn't prepare it myself. But I have a 10 mile race on Sunday, and I'm doing a marathon the following Sunday, so it's not really the end of the world if I go over my calories since I need to carb up a little anyways.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Amy - everything you are doing, in the midst of your dad's trauma is OKAY. All of it. Whatever it is....it's ALL okay! However, I am SUPER-impressed that in all that craziness you ARE getting your runs in! THAT IS AWESOME!

Chloe - my scale is moving down, too....so, yes, I want to keep POSITIVE MOMENTUM going! I'll hold YOU accountable, my dear....and you can do the SAME for me! congrats on the "pre-logging" that should help!

chui - I swear, WHATEVER you do, you NEVER give less than 100%. Ever. That is something I have noticed about you since you started posting on this thread. You are a "do-er"....you just NEVER quit. I *love* that trait!

Ris - sounds like you are right on plan....best of luck in your 10-mile race! THAT is NO SMALL FEAT!

Oh, as an update on my stupid failed interview - I sent out a nice "thank you" e-mail, yesterday, and promised myself that was it. And then, out of the blue, I got called into a MAJOR project at MY work! Which is great.....if I'm not bored, at work, I don't take the interviewing THAT personally. But, when I. Am. Bored. The WHOLE world looks BLAh!