2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Kate posted something on my profile and I thought, hmm, this is interesting, maybe the NTH girls want to "weigh in" (I weighed in this morning and I up a bit, I thought my skinny jeans were tight from my huge muscles, but I am not so sure:wink: )

"I have been coming around to the performance before aesthetics attitude but I honestly believe its more effective in achieving the aesthetic goals. Intuitively, if you want a body that looks strong and fit should you actualy be strong and fit? Also this: "When you’re in the gym, or outside sprinting, focus on your performance, not burning calories. You’ll be more motivated if you’re concerned about getting an extra rep or running an extra sprint than about working yourself to complete and utter exhaustion. Oftentimes when people train for fat loss, they perform grueling workouts that leave them huffing, puffing, and crumbled into a delirious heap of sweat on the floor. Just because you finish a workout exhausted or nauseous does not mean it was an effective or productive workout. The value of your workout is not determined by how tired you are afterwards, or even how sore you are the next day. You should follow a sound training program that emphasizes improved performance to achieve your fat loss goals."

I found that for myself when I shifted my focus to fitness goals (do a pull up, do 10 real push ups are both goals I'm still working toward, ha!) I was able to maintain motivation. Even better for myself was tracking my progress of reps/sets and seeing improvements that didn't revolve around measurements or a scale. It was a mindset shift for me that helped a lot. I think when I get too focused on the aesthetic goals I tend to sabotage myself when I don't see them quickly. It's like the fitness goals are a distraction to keep me busy and not so focused on the aesthetic. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    For me, the ONLY thing that has made me lose fat ended up PURELY being because of aesthetics!

Right now, I am 0.2lbs from being in the 140's....THAT has been my goal ever since I came to mfp....and, I was bumping around the 160 mark MOST of 2012!! VERY DISCOURAGING!!

Now that I've finally discovered the "look" that I want, that helped determine the ROAD-MAP to getting there.

I'm likely *still* 10 lbs away from "the look" that I want - and, on my frame, that means: a) I need to gain 1" in the shoulders; b) I need to lose about 1.5" at my natural waist; and c) I need to lose about 3" on my hips. So, I have PLENTY o' weight-lifting work to do in 2013!

But, because my "weight" issue (that damn LAST 10 LBS!) has *finally* been solved - or more accurately, is in the PROCESS of being solved - I am WAY HAPPIER WITH MY PROGRESS.

And am willing to keep my focus and my momentum to get "the look" that I'm after.

Yes, I also (still) want to be able to do unassisted pull-ups/chin-ups and push-ups from the floor....but, that does NOT excite me as much as seeing my musculature when in skimpy clothes.
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ashley - the plank series looks like a great workout, I'll have to try it some time.

Ris - that sounds like a good plan, i am also going to try not to overindulge too much over the next week and I am working on a plan for the New Year. i'll post it when it's done.

Amy - my skinny jeans always get a little snug when I work my legs a lot

Beeps - I am with you on the aesthetics thing - dangit, I just want to look good in a bikini!

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Beeps, your recent progress is really impressive! and I know you have been working hard for a long time, so it is great that you have found what works and you're killing it, but I would argue that your goals are both aesthetic and performance in some ways...
    Shmoozy, I know how you feel, I am the same way about having a flat stomach and I work hard and don't see results fast enough so I give up, or try something else too soon. The other thing, being, maybe the aesthetic isn't actually possible so setting ourselves up for disappointment, whereas the performance is possible if we just try harder and push ourselves, or train appropriately, and seeing success there will encourage us to continue and thus, eventually achieve the aesthetic when we pursue the performance.

Ashley, that plank workout looks intense, I would like to try it, but I don't know how to do some of the moves... is there a video or pictures?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    One of the things "2012" taught me was that, I really didn't have "the last 10 lbs" to lose....more likely it's "20 lbs". So, now that I'm in the midst of "losing the fat", I have LEARNED that I had rose-colored-glasses on regarding HOW MUCH WEIGHT (fat!) I would need to lose to get "THE LOOK" I want.

Totally eye-opening....and, I didn't know this in March or July or even September!! It has only been as I've worked my way through my toils and troubles that I've learned this about my own body.

I also believe that, once I get to MY "MAGIC NUMBER", maintenance will be a biyatch....as in, I won't know what the heck I'm doing and the scale will likely drive me BONKERS.

But, that's a 2013 matter, so I'm not worrying about it, just now. While I would REALLY like to be done 'cutting' about now, I've still probably got 3 months to go.....the fat is dropping off MUCH slower, now, and that's okay - I *get* that it's a PROCESS.

I still concentrate on getting in 3 x weight-lifting sessions per week. I'm not GROWING any muscle, just now....but am trying to maintain what I got so that there's something THERE when the fat dissipates.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!

(I kind of figured it might be quiet in here for the next few days....but, I'm working, so will keep checking back!)
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! My husband & I are heading off to a Bed & Breakfast in Camden, ME for our anniversary today. It's on the coast & has some great shopping and restaurants & we booked our favorite room at the inn. We will be celebrating 15 years of mariage on Thursday - so excited! This will be the first time I am away from my kids overnight in six years. The last time we went to Camden I was five months pregnant with my little one so I am really looking forward to it. There will be no computer and no cell phone service so I'll check in when I get back.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone had/is still having a nice holiday break. I am back to work today. Boo. Tomorrow is weigh in day and I am really not excited. I haven't been working out, and I've been drinking pretty much every day, and my diet has been less than fantastic. Not absolutely terrible, but not great either. This is how it goes at Christmas. I was hoping to at least work out some, but between company, working around baby nap time, and just wanting to relax, it just didn't happen. I'm ready to hit it hard come January. I'm thinking about doing 2 weeks of pretty restrictive diet; I'm thinking 1200 calories a day no excuses. We'll see. I hope you all had / are having a great holiday!
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    {{For Ris, lots of love your way.}}

My attempts this week are:
    1) LESS SUGAR AND SALT IN MY DIET. Why do I love salt more than oxygen?
    2) At least two at-home (ones I put together) ballet classes a week (studio is on a holiday break) and stretching every day.
    3) More FFH (Food From Home!)
  • ShmoozyQ
    Options
    I'm so relieved the holidays are over and I can go back to eating what I want without all those huge meals and temptations, ha! As of yet, we don't have any plans for New Year's, and I think that's OK with me. :) I'm looking forward to feeling balanced with my meals at home again.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Abigail - happy anniversary and I'm sure you'll have an absolute BLAST with your hubby! Congrats!

Better - ugh at weigh-in day....that bites! My tummy is TOTALLY distended today and there's no way I'm getting near a scale before the weekend. Plus, I'll be drinking 15-16 glasses of water, everyday, to help move the bloat out of my body.

The Spicy - ballet - VERY COOL!

Shmoozy - I'm totally cool with the holidays being "over", too (I'm back at work!).

I indulged myself, yesterday on everything! I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and tracked NOTHING. IT WAS FABULOUS!

And now, I'm right back on plan. Going to fast as long as I can, today (which is tough - I can tell I ate carbs, carbs, CARBS! because my body just wants MORE MORE MORE!!). And, I'll go lift at lunch.

In a few days, it'll all be good, I hope. Photos/measurements are 5 days away! YIKES!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    I am falling off the deep end this week! I am ready for normalcy as well! My family will be here this weekend so I have been using that as an excuse this week to not get back on track yet. Whatevs. The scale rewarded me for my carelessness; up 1.5. I guessed what the scale was going to say and was right. I'm sure some is water weight, but I am ready to gear up come January 2. I'm not sweating it too much; the weight will come off once I get back to working out and eating well. I literally had chocolate for dinner last night. And then around 10:30 warmed up some short rib leftovers and split it with my husband. I need to clean out my kitchen!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Schmoozy- I wish my holidays were over! We have another party tonight. And so much junk in my house that my husband/ kids won't let me throw out and I can't stop eating!!
    Ashley - I was up a pound this morning. I'm not recording it. I just need to put the chocolate down and workout.
    Beeps- Good for you! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

So I'm tired of all my workouts and have been trying to decide what to do next- CLX, Turbo fire, S90. I worried about spending the money on CLX since I am a program drop out. I'm not a huge cardio dvd fan. I decided to order S90 yesterday from Amazon. Because it is so cheap, I started to look for other DVDs so I could get free shipping. Then I saw Cathe Friedrich. I had heard good things about her and I ended up going to her website. She has a new program called xtrain that looks awesome! It costs the same as clx. I LOVE how her dvds have a variety of premixes so I can do a longer or shorter version, depending on time. I ordered a few to try and if I like them, I may order Xtrain. SO EXCITED! Oh, one of them was a daily deal for half off and I found a 20%bathing off coupon, so I didn't spend that much.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Better - yep, January usually means GOOD things for everyone! (At least fitness related.) I actually HATE the gym in January because all the "new year's resolvers" show up!! But, they are gone by mid-Feb, so it's only a short 6 weeks of PROBLEMS.

kclynch - oooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, I'd like to hear all about your adventures with Cathe's new program!

I think I'm going to delay my eating, daily, for as long as I possibly can over the next few days. Photos/measurements are upon me and I want ZERO bloat and I'd like to lose a pound or two prior to measurement time! (Usually I don't eat until about 12:30 pm or 1 pm, anyway....but am going to try and delay until 3 or 5 pm, if possible!)
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of working on performance goals. I think that getting gratification out of each workout is pretty motivating and immediate. I tend to focus on performance goals when I run as well, but I still definitely still need to keep the aesthetic goals in mind to keep my total calorie intake in check.

And I know what you all mean about getting back to normalcy, I'm so looking forward to being able to eat what I make again….

Beeps--you made amazing progress in 2012, and I have no doubt you'll meet your goals in 2013!

Abigail--happy anniversary! Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned.

Spicy--excellent goals! And thanks :smile:

Kelly---great job finding a workout you can get excited about! You'll have to let us know how you like the DVDs.

So I think that any Christmas weight I gained was offset by the fact that I got a stomach bug on Christmas night and haven't been able to eat any solid food besides crackers for the last few days. Not exactly the way I wanted to lose weight but I am down a little. This weekend I think I'm just going to focus on getting my appetite back and then get back to the logging next week.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just wanted to check in. I am still working out everyday, but I am on vacation until Wednesday so I have been eating and drinking too much that is for sure. Tuesday I am throwing away every bit of junk left in the house and I am going to attempt a no booze January I think.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm totally NOT doing a "no-booze" January....because somewhere, in the middle of january, hubby and I are sneaking off to mexico for a few days! No kids! No work! Hello tequila!

Today is my hubby's birthday. To celebrate, we're going to take a few days in march and head down to palm springs! His mom will be there from mid-Feb to mid-Mar (she resides in the UK) and it will be nice to have a visit with her (again, sans kids!! WAHOO!)

Today, I'll lift at lunch. My fast went so-so, yesterday....my first food was at 2:30 pm. Today, I'll fast until after my lunch-time work-out. It really does help me keep to ONLY the alotted calories I have, for the day, if I skip all morning eating and try only to have a protein shake for lunch.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Sounds fun Beeps. Have a great time! You deserve it. I love to hear about your fasting. I have been brainwashed to believe if I don't eat within 90 minutes of waking, my body goes into starvation mode and my metabolism slows (and I need all the help I can get). I have done some reading about this, and this seems to be BS. I have tended to skip or eat very small breakfasts in the last several weeks as a means to restrict at least some of the calories I've been scarfing. I've actually been thinking about doing a 24 hour juice fast. I have done "detoxes" probably 4-5 times; consuming only juice and berry smoothies and a bunch of cleansers and supplements. I too think most of THAT is BS, but a 24 juice fast (I make my own) just sounds like a nice little mini cleanse. Ideas?

It sounds like we've all had some indulgences over the holidays. I'm a little depressed about how I feel. All my clothes were getting loose, and now they're tight again. I know a lot is water bloat and some may also be TOM. It came back (barely) after 20 months. This could be affecting lots of things. Anyways, just trying to stay positive and not screw up too bad through the rest of the year. I got a fitness plan together for mini training with a little strength training. It's going to be tough to get it all in as my workouts now on work days tend to be 30 minutes or less and I'll be running 3-5 miles on some weekdays with long runs on Saturdays. My strength i'll be doing every other week will probably take 45 minutes, so adjustments will need to be made in my schedule. I hope to incorporate some morning workouts so I don't have to use weekday after work baby time in the gym. Anyways! Sorry to ramble. I tend to think out loud. :smile:

I'm also on for Just Say No January with 2 night exceptions (concerts). I'm excited. And I'm not. I love drinking but I think it will do me some good and maybe help a little with some weight loss. I plan on a couple weeks of pretty restrictive eating also. NOt exactly sure how I will stay within cals; maybe a little fasting (skipping breakfast), maybe just eating much smaller portions and lots of veggies. I just need to do something to get back to where I feel comfortable.

Sorry to not individually respond to everyone, but I need to get back to work! Have a great weekend ladies.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think I might need to get on the no-booze January bandwagon. I'll probably have to build in a few days of exceptions if I expect to stick with it, but I'll think about joining you all....

Sounds like fun travel plans, Beeps!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I have a cold and feel grumpy. I did workout this morning but haven't logged it because I want to try to get in a little more. My tummy looks extra flabby. :sad: even though the scale isn't up much. I got a confirmation email for my Cathe DVDs and they won't be here until Jan 7th. I was hoping it would be here sooner. I need something to get me motivated NOW. I'm going to Vegas for Presidents Day weekend to meet up with brothers and cousins and all of our families. I really want to look my best.

Beeps - I'm jealous of your upcoming vacations.

Good luck to all you ladies on your dry January!
  • ShmoozyQ
    Options
    Beeps - I'm jealous of all your fun travels coming up! Have a good time, and happy birthday to your hubby!

Chloe - Good luck with your no-booze January! That's something I might think about doing too. I'm soooo partied out after the holidays. I feel like I need a detox, ha.

Ris - Hope you feel better soon :)

BetterBalance - 'Just say no January' <-- I like that. Sounds like a good way to get back on track after all of the holiday indulging that I was doing.

kclynch - Good luck with your new program! Hopefully it will show up soon. Feel better!

For now I'm trying to focus on stretching a lot. I have piriformis syndrome I've been seeing a PT about. Has anyone else ever dealt with that? It's basically nerve pain in the butt caused by sitting. It isn't ALL terrible that I can't sit for long periods of time, though I do like to sit on the couch at the end of the day. Haha. The good news is it feels better with activity and doesn't hinder any activities (besides sitting on my butt!).