2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Beeps, you really just booked your flight? to leave in less than a week? Do you find that you get better deals that way? I am just curious. I would worry about flights being booked and not getting the resort I wanted or something but I can see how it might be a great way to go, I am just too much of a planner but I thought maybe an anniversary trip we could just plan ON it and then see if there were any great last-minute deals...
    Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hey All!

It's been GO GO GO since I got to San Diego for my conference...not helped by the fact that my first night here I came down with food poisoning around 2 am. Yuck. But I am fully recovered, did crossfit today and some walking. I haven't logged the last few days but that's okay-I decided not to start cutting officially until January 7th so that i wouldn't have to stress too much over travel and logging. So for a 'warm up' I'm doing okay...gotta get back in the swing.

Chloe - sorry you hurt your back! I hope you recover quickly!

Beeps - congrats on the 140's! (and hey, we NEVER lose weight as quickly as we think we will). I think its great and I'm sure you look better than you think you look. We're our own worst critics. Also...I agree on the 'eat more weight less' whatever. I think that maybe applies to women who chronically undereat or are naturally very thin...which has never been my problem. So yeah, to cut I need to cut!

Jen - nice to see you!

Ashley - glad you are feeling better :)

And on body fat...not my favorite subject because I am a number person but also a stickler and the fact of the matter is the only way to truly know someone's body fat is an autopsy (wah wah). That said there are some major methods-I'll just talk about the 'at home' ones (not hydrostatic, bod pod DEXA etc) I won't get into it in too much detail for those handheld things (or the scales) that tell you your body fat are *okay* but have very high error ranges and vary drastically with hydration (though handheld>scale for accuracy). The next major way is by caliper. I would try to caliper yourself but a *trained* individual can do it for you-make sure it's the same person and you take it twice and average the result. The last way is pictures (and measurements). LP recommends this as the best and you can get a decent idea of where you are from her body fat pictures blog post.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Not too much time to comment....but I have to say I am soooo happy that you all finally realized the whole eat more to weigh less thing doesn't work! I never really got it and it definitely doesn't work that way for me!
  • Carlabarla23
    Options
    Hi everyone! New to this group. My 2 week challenge (which I've never heard about before but am assuming you can set your own goal for 2 weeks?) Anyway mine is to get back in the swing of things as I was doing before the holiday! This 2 week challenge will be: 2 spin classes each week and swim laps 3 times a week (if I do more, then great!). Also, continuing on with my burpee challenge - adding to my burpees each day - on Jan. 30th, I hopefully will be doing 100! Thanks for this group!! It's exactly what I need.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,927 Member
    Options
    Hi Ris!

Amy - no, I don't think we got "better" $$'s by booking later. (I've NEVER been a "last-minute" booker!) My problem was that I was waiting on my boss to approve my holidays and it took until FRIDAY for him to do that! So, he approved and I handed over my visa to the online booking agent 3 secs after that! Our prices are "good", and our flights are "direct", but I don't think we got any better deal than if we had booked in October (which I tried to - my boss is a DORK).

chui - very interesting on the "body fat" measurements. I really have NO idea what my body fat % is....but, since I'm still morphing my shape and trying to reduce body fat, I don't really care WHAT it is (just now). At the end of my "cut", I think I will get a DXA scan and just see what it says.

Chloe - you needed to CLUE ME IN WAY EARLIER IN THE GAME! I *wasted* WAY too much time, in 2012, doing the WRONG stuff. :(

Carla - awesome 2-week challenge!

Here's mine:

1. rest
    2. relax
    3. drink plenty o' liquids (of all kinds!)

PS - I am going to lift today and Wednesday, but will take a "lifting break" while I'm in Mexico....haven't done a lifting break since the beginning of November, so I'm due.
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I am so joining this two week challenge! I think it will be a good way to hold myself accountable! And everyone seems so supportive!

My two week goals are:
    Insanity 6 days a week (just started today)
    Keep to running schedule (4 runs a week 40 kms a week)
    Try and rotate Physique 30 min work outs after work (if not too tired from insanity!)
    No coffee
    No Alcohol

Hoping by sticking to these goals I will start to see somechanges at the end of these two weeks :) Yay! Going to Mexico in the beginning of April so need to get on my bikini bod!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Welcome new ladies!

Beeps, have an awesome time! You deserve it. Have a cocktail for me!

Kate, I knew you'd chime in on my BF question! :) I read about calipers, almost bought a set (they're cheap) but then thought I would never get an accurate read as I am not a professional. Maybe it's best to just keep measurements. My BF number really doesn't matter all that much; I'm just curious. I do wonder if there is an "imput these measurements to get general bodyfat calculator" type thing I could use too. I may need to do some research of my own.

Everyone else, I hope you're all well!

Well I survived my first alcohol free weekend! Yipee! It wasn't that bad and I feel great today.

I'm also doing my "fast" today. So far so good. I had a store bought (all juices) berry "smoothie" for breakfast, my green drink for lunch and have a blended veggie soup for dinner. My green drink is kale, collards, brocoli, celery, carrot, parsley, apple, ginger juice and is pretty good. I'm also having detox tea, and tomorrow will have some green rolls (blanched collard, blanched napa cabbage, rolled around carrot with cilantro that get dipped into a vinegrette and dipped in black sesame seeds) and still have a ton of greens leftover to eat with some protein for dinners this week. So basically I'm eating a ton of green veggies, tomorrow I'll add some proteins and a little quinoa and pretty much eat that through Friday.

Just from getting back to workouts (I got my 4 in last week!) and eating well and not drinking, I dropped a pound from Thursday to Monday. I'll be weighing everyday, but not recording again till Thursday. I think I may go back to 1200 calories a day next week and have one cheat day. My cheat day this week ended up just being about 1700 calories and a bunch of carbs. Pretty boring.

I'm probably going to keep my workouts pretty mellow this week as I'll be at a pretty high deficit most days. I may do some leisurely walking on the mill after work and may also help my husband figure out some type of workout to do. He is determined to get back in shape this year. He has weighed the same since we've been together, but his shape has become more round over the last year or so. :ohwell: I'm excited; I have always wanted him to be more into fitness. His "fitness" tends to be golf, disc golf, and working around the house/yard. Well his disc golf buddy moved, and his other golf buddy moved and he hasn't done a lot of house and yard work since the baby has come so...... I don't expect him to be a big buff guy; that's not him. But I wish he was more regular and consistent with his activity and it was something we could share. He's running all three races in prep for the mini this spring which we do most years, so I always enjoy doing that with him.

So here's a fun question: What is your significant other's fitness level/interest/etc.?

I hope you all have a great week! Keep it up!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Ladies, ladies, ladies...I'm like a pop in/pop out kind of companion lately. What is wrong with me?! Completely unreliable! :wink: Things have been hectic to say the least between work, life, and although I've been logging my activity on MFP has been down. I do try to pop in and I'm glad to see everyone back in action after the holiday.

Beeps- Congrats on your end of year progress. Fabulous job!

Kate- You are still such a busy busy girl. Glad Crossfit is so widely available! Definitely perfect for the traveling professional that you are!!

Chloe-How is TF? I had to take a Chalene break last night and go with another workout..just needed someone else to motivate me! As for the EM2LM, I'm of the 'everyone is different approach'. It definitely works for a lot of my friends but it hasn't worked for me. Part of that is definitely my inability to keep my eats very clean consistenly. Yes, M-F but Saturday and Sunday my restraint is moderate at best. Also, I definitely wouldn't try the EM2LM again unless I was seriously into heavy lifting. I have been at home strength training and though I find it to work for me- it's definitely not the same as those big bad puppies at the gym! I'm just glad that we are each finding our own rhythm in this game. I'm with Beeps on the fasting, though mine aren't as long. The limiting my eating window has (for now) definitely been the key for me mentally staying consistent and on top of the nutrition portion of it all.

Ashley- Great job on the alcohol free weekend. And congrats on the drop. I totally get the strict weekend with some leeway over the weekend. That's pretty much my only consistent approach for weight loss. Tighten up M-F and give just a little wiggle on the weekend to not be BAD but to stay sane. :tongue:

As for your fun question- DH is the main reason I got back into 'fitness' after taking time off after having the babies. He started heavy lifting and packing muscle on his leaner frame. It just made me more conscious of how I was treating my body. He's still definitely at a 'higher' fitness level with consistently reaching PRs on his lifts and all that good stuff. But I'm working on it! :wink:

I'm still working off the Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme. I break it up once in awhile with a run (I'm considering training with runs again but just not sure my heart is in it as much as I want it to) but other than that just working off the calendar. Back to my 12-8pm eating window and just getting back to that after the holidays has helped me get back down to my lowest weight. Now if I can just bust past my lowest and create a new lowest- I'd be happy!! :smile:

I'm hoping to be around more if things allow it. Either way- keep at it girls you are amazing!! :flowerforyou:
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    Hey ladies! And welcome newbies!

So I am still pretty crippled. I literally could not move Thursday or Friday after I hurt my back on Wednesday night working out. Saturday and Sunday I felt better, but did not workout. Tonight I think I might do an easy walk on the treadmill and some stretching. So Mama to answer your question Turbo is not happening right now at all. Last week was week 3, so I figure whenever my back is totally healed I will pick back up there.

There is a yoga studio by my house that does hot yoga and cycling workouts too. They are doing a special for new members $50 for a month unlimited. I am thinking about doing it. I miss yoga and when I was doing that routinely I never had injuries. I am thinking of starting on Saturday morning with a hot yoga class depending how my back does.

I am also doing a 7 day cleanse this week and keeping cals really low especially because I know I wont get in much activity.

On the husband question. When we first started dating over 5 years ago he was a super skinny and never worked out. But, he got a membership to the gym I belonged to and started getting into lifting and running. We ran the marathon together 2 years later. Now he will run occasionally (he's one of those people that can not run for months and then just pick up and do 5 miles like nothing). But, he still does heavy lifting religiously. Its actually funny when people see him that haven't seen him in awhile, they think he looks so huge. I really don't notice it, maybe cause I see him everyday though.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Today is first day back to work in 2 weeks. It's just an inservice day so no kids. I have gotten use to staying up late and sleeping (well, until 7) so my 5am wake up call came super early today. I just did hiit on the elliptical. Hopefully Cathe will be in mailbox when I get home! I've been doing really well with my nutrition goals, but skipped a lot of workouts. Oh well, now that I'm back at work, I should get back into the routine.

Chloe- Sorry You're still not feeling well. I'm sure yoga will help your back, when you're healed enough to give it a try. My girlfriend LOVES hot yoga. I love yoga, but it just doesn't appeal to me to workout in the heat.

My hubby is naturally thin, although he's put on a few pounds over the years. He doesn't work out but his job is physically demanding. I did ask him if he wanted to do the warrior dash with me, but he just laughed. He used to snowboard every weekend when he lived in CO but not since he moved here. I haven't gone in over 10 years, so I'm afraid I'll break my neck. But, I do want the girls to learn so one day, if we ever get snow, or maybe visit some friends in CO. I think my husband would do more, but sadley, he doesn't have any guy friends that do anything here.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Welcome, kelsey - your 2-week challenge looks really good!

Better - wow, you've done really well if you're limiting alcohol AND fasting AND working out AND AND AND. WOWZERS!

mama!!! Glad you posted! Happy New Year!

Chloe - gosh, sorry your back is still really wonky. THAT SUCKS! I *do* miss my hot yoga sometimes.

kclynch - nutrition is key....I really *do* believe it's about 80% of the battle!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    As for my hubby, because he's a former athlete (semi-pro football), fitness *is* very important to him! And, it's always been important to me. He *always* tried to get me into weight-training...then, when I FINALLY succumbed, HE went the OTHER direction, and dropped MOST of his weight-lifting in favour of doing triathlon training! Grrrrrrrr. Anyway, he's been having fun learning how to run (he didn't run, for YEARS, because of his knees, but he's discovered a "new" and recommended running style, and it's working for him), getting faster/better at swimming, etc.

I *love* it when he's all buff from working out - but, he can get barrel-chested practically just by LOOKING at a bench press. Meanwhile, here I am STILL trying to do push-ups/pull-ups, etc. No barrel chest for Beepsie-poo.

:(
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    My husband's FAVOURITE lift is squats. For me, for sure, it's my worst lift....I suck at it and it has taken me A LONG TIME to get good form! I have problem-hips.

Anything "shoulders" is MY favourite lift....and my husband hates them because he broke his collarbone when he was younger and one of his shoulders is about 2-3" shorter than the other so the lifts are always problematic.

Gosh, we sound UBER-OPPOSITE just now!

'tis okay, when we get to Mexico and bump uglies, we'll remember WHY we LOVE EACH OTHER SO MUCH, lol!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    OMG, first of all, Beeps, I about spit my water out laughing when I read your comment about bumping uglies, lmao!!! Exciting about the trip, you SO deserve it!

KC – lucky you! I had to go back to school last week. Congrats on the nutrition, that for me is the biggest battle!

Amy – great goasl! Thanks, the suit is from Victoria’s Secret

Ris – I’m with you, if I’m grumpy, I may have a drink ;) But otherwise, I will try to keep it I check ;)

Kate – glad you are feeling better and back at it. I admire how you keep things in check even while traveling!

Rogie – hope the honeymoon is going well!!
    Better – good luck this week and congrats on the quick progress! Fun question, I’ll play! My hubby works out 5-6 days a week and has done all the races I’ve done (5ks, mud runs, warrior dash and extreme 5k). He logs on here with me and eats everything I cook. He’s been doing this for 2-3 years now and it has definitely brought us closer and made us stronger as a couple :D

Chloe – Hope you continue to heal. The yoga sounds like a great idea! Good luck with the cleanse!

So my challenge:
    1. Log and stay within cal goal
    2. Weights 3x week
    3. 7 hrs of sleep a night

Looks like everyone is off to a great start!!
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    HEllo again everyone!!!!

Thanks Beeps!!!

Day two of my two week challenge! I did my physique 57 30 minute work out last night after doing the insanity fit test in the morning which was fine, but woke up this morning feeling ultra sore! Still stumbled through insanity, but have decided that the physique 57 workouts will have to wait till my body has adjusted to insanity!!!! Have a 10km run tonight still!!!! So far no coffee or booze as well woot woot!!!

Chloe- I think yoga is a great place to start again for your back!

As for the SO question, my finace is super into hockey and soccer, and since meeting me he has taken up running as well :) We have ran 3 half marthons together so far! He is also doing insanity with me! I love how we push each :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jenomaha, I should have prefaced my statement about "bumping" and "uglies" by saying my husband has had a TERRIBLE cold this week and it's a SERIOUS DROUGHT at my house where "naked time" is concerned....I'm desperately missing him, missing my sex life, and CANNOT WAIT for us to be alone, without kids, in Mexico! HEAVEN!

Sounds like everybody has pretty supportive spouses when it comes to "fitness" and, even better, that the spouses are also doing fitness-pursuits. I think it would be very tough to be in a household where one person is VERY "into fitness" and the other is a couch potato. (Just like I think it's very difficult for one person to be a non-smoker in a household where the partner is still a smoker.)
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    Bumping uglies....haha never heard of that one before! Actually googled it to be sure I understood! Beeps I am so jealous. We always take a trip in March (we have every year for the past five years we have been together), but we decided this year we need to work on paying off some debt. So no vacation, this is going to be pretty rough. I hope you have a great time!

Kelsey- Insanity is pretty intense, when I was doing it that was pretty much my only workouts.

My back is feeling better than it did yesterday. I went and got a massage yesterday after work and I think she got some of the knots out. I think when I hurt my lower back last week it created a bunch of tension everywhere else. So I just really feel sore all over. I also did my TurboFire Stretch 40 dvd so that felt good.

I am not sure what I will do tonight. I might try doing a workout, but just keep it low impact. I am all signed up for hot yoga Saturday morning. So as long as my body cooperates, that is the plan! Yesterday was good with eating and I plan the same for today!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Ha ha Beeps! You're funny. ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!

Chloe, I did hot (specifically Bikram) yoga for a bit and had a love hate relationship with it. It's so freaking hard when the studio gets to 110 degrees and what feels like 300% humidity, but I also felt amazing after and vowed I was going to quit everything else and just do Bikram 6 days a week. Of course that never happened. I hope it helps your back.

Kelsey you're doing awesome! I have not done P90X, but it seems like a tough program so that fact you're adding on is amazing!

Jen, glad you're back! Looks like you've got great goals!

Helloooooo to everyone else.

As for my goals, I got 4 workouts in last week, did my "fast", and haven't had alcohol in 8 days. I have not completed my morning workouts. I'm eating very low calories this week, so it's doubtful this one will happen. Whatevs. I'm very proud of my no drinking and my detoxing this week. I hope to stick with a pretty strict diet for most of January until I start my mini training. So the beginning of January is really all about diet for me. I'll still be working out, but am going to focus on diet for a bit. I think my body really responds best to this.

The "fast" yesterday went well and i was down 2 pounds this morning. I'm sure that's not real weight, but I feel really good today. I wasn't as hungry as I have been on past fasts. This may be something I work into my routine. Maybe do a fast once a month or every other month to "reset".

I hope you all have a great week!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yes, it's gonna feel good to "escape winter" - supposed to be 26 degrees celsius, in Cabo San Lucas, when we land on Thursday!

Like Better, I have done Bikram hot yoga (and I've tried zero other types of hot yoga....) - I was a regular-attender for 2.5 years - usually 3/4 times per week. I think, even now, in a "perfect" world I would lift weights M/W/F, do bikram hot yoga Sun/T/Th and do my step-cardio-class on Sat. To me, that *really* would be my version of perfect fitness LIFE!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a lot to catch up on here! I can't respond to all but
    Beeps, have a GREAT time!
    AshIey, I think your fast sounds great, very wholesome, I am curious about your results but it sounds reasonable and healthy, not crazy:)
    I will also respond to the fun question: My husband is pretty fit, he has been working out since college even though he doesn't participate in any sporting activities. I think right now he does lift, some kind of two-day pushing and pulling split. He tries things periodically, like barefoot running, yoga, swimming; but he also always seems to be nursing an injury. Right now it is his shoulder. He probably works out about 3 times per week but it makes me mad that he is so much fitter than me, even when I am trying so hard, training for warrior dash, he finishes 15 minutes faster! I think he is thinner than when we met, too, and I am heavier, but when we met I was a smoker who rarely exercised. He is very supportive of my fitness now but we don't share in it very much.
    I am working out tonight, lifting.
    My dad had his first chemo treatment yesterday and he did really well, I hope it will slow/stop the progression.