2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Beeps - I work full time as a research analyst and I take one math or statistics class a semester. I'll be applying phd programs in economics this fall and they're important for grad school. Right now I am taking real analysis II...its basically proving calculus but in dimensions beyond just 2 or 3. And a skip day is nothing to worry about as long its only one and you don't do it often. good luck on zig zagging, let us know how it goes!

Chloe - congrats on making a decision and woo hoo on the races! You and Reese will be racing it up. Awesome on the marathon! That takes so much mental toughness between the training and actual race. I admire it though I have never had any desire to do one! Ick. Too much running, not enough reward! Plus, like you said, hard on the body!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    yeah, well, my boss came and gave me a TYPING assignment. WTF?? (To "meet" his expectations, I'll finish it by Monday....to "exceed" his expectations, I'll finish it by tomorrow.) Um, I have REAL CLIENT work to do. So, I go into his office and say, "now you have me TYPING??" He says, "no, I think it is DRAFTING..."

omg

Alright, I just shoved 2 handfuls of chocolate-covered almonds into my face....I obviously have "emotional-eating" issues on top of stupid FML boss issues.

So, not sure I'll still be under my calories for today - but I'll log the almonds, just in case, lol!!

chui - go for the economics PhD, for sure.....you ROCK and law SUX.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and sadly, the chihuahua had to be euthanized:ohwell:
    I was supposed to workout last night but my friend who is still struggling wanted to hang out so I drank a bottle of Pinot grigio.
    I did lift tonight. Still the week has been a fail on eating! All my good intentions...
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Awwwww, Amy - that's sad. But, you did what you could do - you're an AWESOME CITIZEN OF THE WORLD!!

It's always nice to see that it's Friday. I like that!

We have survived week one without our nanny. My parents (who came to help out this week) are leaving first thing in the morning....my Mom has done all the cooking (and made sure my kitchen was *sparkling* when I arrived home from work - nice!) and my Dad has chauffeured the kids all around to their various activities. Whew. And, I had a *surprise* visit from my oldest son, last night....I knew he was coming for dinner, tonight, but he showed up yesterday (as well) - needing a break from his university exam-studying and for some of "Nana's cooking".

My temporary nanny flies in tomorrow night and then we'll spend Sunday teaching her the ENTIRE household routine! Whew!

I've also decided to focus, strongly, on my nutrition for the next 10 weeks. That brings me until the end of June and I'm going to really work on chiseling that 10 lbs. off (while heavy lifting - don't worry!). So, cheer me on....this is something I wanted to accomplish by end of 2012, but I've decided to bump up that goal and see if I can achieve it by end of June.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Aww, sorry, Amy :( At least he had people who tried to help him! I have such a soft spot for dogs. Well, let's me honest I'm sort of softy for a lot of things but especially dogs! And don't worry about that wine...that's one of those moments where we just have to remember that life is about *so* much more than nutrition and exercise. I'm sure it meant a lot to your friend.

Beeps - thanks...there was a hot second a few years ago I consider law but then I realized I didn't ever want to be lawyer! Plus, economics just makes me tick so it was a pretty easy decision. Now its just a matter of getting in! Good luck with your boss...I know the feeling. I get really irritated when senior scholars ask me to copy things...I have triple honors degree in economics math and French so I can copy your stuff when your admin is at lunch? No thanks.

How nice of your parents! I must say, I think its FABULOUS you have help. Given that I'm so career oriented but I want a family I decided a while ago that if/when that time comes I want to hire help. There's just too much to do in a day and I would rather spend the free time i have not doing the dishes :) This article is great (about two of my favorite economists): http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/business/economics-of-family-life-as-taught-by-a-power-couple.html?pagewanted=all

Perfect life? I think so!

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!

Off to a good start...I had kickball last night, only indulged in two beers instead of three AND burned way more calories than I thought I would (335 to be exact). And we won and I dominated on second base. Now a weekend of starbucks and studying :)
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies!

Amy- Sorry about the pup, but at least you tried, more than most would do unfortunately!

Beeps- I think 10 pounds in 10 weeks is definitely realistic, with dedication and hard work of course!

Kate- Good luck with studying, I don't miss those days! I remember spending an entire weekend at my kitchen table when studying for the CPA exam.....sucked big time!

And today begins my challenge part of the week....the WEEKEND! I think my frame of thinking for tackling this challenge needs to be, to indulge and have my cocktails and not 100% healthy dinners, but keep my portions small and skip appetizers and desserts. I think also my problem with the weekend is its hard to plan because I'm not always sure what we are doing. Tonight we have friends coming over to make dinner and they picked it, pasta and chicken. So I will eat that, but have a small portion and have some wine, but drink water in between each small glass and see how that works. Tomorrow I have no idea what we are doing or Sunday either, so that is a tough one. I just need to be mindful about everything I put in my mouth and no careless eating. Wish me luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yes, I do lead an exemplary life....no doubt about that!

And, yes, I *can* cook and I *can* clean and I *can* "keep house" and I *can* drive my kids around and I *can* be a SAHM. But, none of these things do I *want* to do. I choose not to. I chose not to, actually, a L-O-N-G time ago (I've been a professional for 20 years, now....). And, our current nanny has been with us for 9.5 years, so, it has been *quite* the adjustment with her taking this (extended, well-deserved) vacation.

My parents wanted to come to town for Easter and I just said, "nope - but if you arrive one week later, you'd be helping me out the one week I don't have assistance!" And, they did!! Which reminds me, I need to order some flowers for my mom so they arrive at her home on Sunday/Monday - as a "thank you" for everything they've helped with!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Chloe, I think your approach to the weekend is sensible. Please post back on how you think your progress is going??

For my "10 lb loss" challenge, I'm going to try 2 things:

1. zig-zagging my calories; and
    2. reducing my weekly calories by 1,400 calories (so, approx. 200 per day).

I will track on mfp. I will post results here - and maybe weigh myself weekly to see how it's going??

(Gack!! The SCALE!! I'm toooooooo afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • amysj303
    Options
    I stepped on the darn scale this morning but it wasn't too bad, I really haven't gained much. been hovering around 112 for over a year now, I think. I was at 114 today, but this is 5-6 weeks of the higher cals so I can see that it is working out ok.
    Lifting last night went ok, too, my form felt good for everything. I was trying to do a deadlift that wasn't a sumo deadlift and it was 85 lbs. So I am just going to keep with the Stronglifts routine until June, then I will add some cardio to cut a little fat for Polo formal and Vegas pool time.
    Someone here at work thought I was 26 instead of 36. that was nice but I think it's easier to be an "undeterminate age" when you don't have kids.
    And, I did go to lawschool. I am not a lawyer though. Glad I went when I did, because it's a lot more expensive now, but I don't think I gave it much thought, just thought it was a graduate degree I could get without a lot of math:tongue:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think you look about 26, too, Amy....

My bff from law school never became a lawyer (either) - she became a novelist! (And, noooooo, she hasn't published anything, lol - separate story.) And, she reads tarot!

Anyway, Amy, I think stronglifts is an awesome program and I'm seriously considering it when I'm done NROL4W. (Speaking of which, I *thought* I'd be done NROL4W by end of June, but I think my timing was off....I bet it bleeds into July.)
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    I will let you know how my self control goes this weekend for sure! Actually maybe I will check in here a few times this weekend to keep myself accountable knowing you are all watching me :wink:
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    I thought about going to law school after the CPA to become a tax attorney, but then that exam kicked my *kitten* and I decided I was done!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    lol, Chloe, I did all my in-depth tax work (accounting side) about 10-years after law school....so, I *am* a tax lawyer, lol.

Hey, we iz a board of totally SMRT WOMEN.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. I used to be a part of this thread when it was a thread and not a group and now that I am back to work after having my baby girl Daphne late January, I need more to do on the site. :wink: I recognize some of my friends here and glad you are still here. Almost 900 memebers?! Wow! I imagine less than 10% actually post regularly.....Anyways, I just wanted to have another group to follow.

Here is my rundown: I gained about 30 pounds while pregnant and continued to work out - mostly running and walking - up until about 37 weeks. I still watched what I ate but indulged a little. Obviously I quit drinking but was a moderate-ish drinker before and enjoy a drink or three now (I'm nursing still). I lost 20 pounds in about 3 weeks after Daphne came and 12 weeks post partum I have 5 more to go to get to my pre-preg weight which was after losing about 6 pounds over 6 months using MFP. Ideally I'd like to lose about 3.5-6.5 more after getting to my pre-preg, so basically 8.5 more pounds to goal weight. I began running about 1-2 months ago with my stroller and baby (I had c-sect so had a long recovery) and have begun to tone my muscle back from mush. It's amazing what 2-3 months of little activity will do. It's amazing though how muscles remember. I want to keep running 3 days a week and try to incorporate strength and yoga back into my routine and firm up and lose this belly fat I have left over. Anyways, that is me.

So do you all just post goals for 2 weeks?

-Ashley
  • amysj303
    Options
    welcome back, Ashley! Muscles do remember. I just read about how people who once in amazing shape can get it back much more quickly and easier than those who have never been fit. It said these people are often used for the "before and afters" for supplements. That they take the "before" picture after going soft for awhile. I thought it was interesting. Anyway, you will get your old bod back in no time.
    Just pick a two-week goal that you want to make a habit, whether workout, or nutrition, or challenge and see if you can stick with it for two weeks, you can pick the same thing in two weeks, or you might find that it becomes a habit and you add something new.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hello Ashley....that's probably the first-and-last time I'll remember your name....I tend to use "handles" to post responses - hope you're okay with that!

Amy started this thread months ago - and, yep, I've been noting "2-week-challenges" for myself (on here) ever since. It's awesome because I only have to do it for 2 weeks....but some of the "new" good habits have a way of sticking around (long after the 2 weeks are done!).

Congrats on your baby girl....is this your only child?
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    OK then. I just started back to work this week and am actually going to be reducing from my former full time to 3 and 4 day work weeks. Still, I'm trying to figure my schedule out. SO my first 2 weeks challenge, starting for next week will be to do some form of cardio - running, walking, etc., - 3 days a week and lifting at least once a week. We'll see how that goes to start.

Beeps - No problem on my name. And yes this is my only kiddo. She's fun. Thanks!
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    Well I haven't worked out at all this weekend. But, I think I'm ok with that. I am feeling really pumped to start my new 3 month program tomorrow and get back to a schedule. I did pretty good with my eating this weekend, but not so good with drinking. But I think with my deficits I had Monday-Thursday it kind of evened out over the week. Today it is tons of water and getting back on track!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I had a spontanee, yesterday, and I didn't drink alcohol and I actually did really well with avoiding all my "trouble" foods while company was here. But, when they left, I tied into those cheezies like a banshee - MAJOR fail. That was only my 3rd "late-night snacking" binge this month, which is an improvement from a year ago....but, it was dumb. I hold myself accountable.

Anyway, today is a lower calorie day as I move through zig-zagging to see how my body likes that. Also, during the 10-week-challenge, I've asked my husband to be a bit helpful with my "accountability" - you know, if he sees me going for alcohol, just piping up a little bit to say, "Beeps, is that "really" what you want?" (Same with snacking....)

I had thought I could do this all by myself, but, even with online friends, it isn't working the way I want it to. So, for 10 weeks, I just want to try "super-strict" and see what happens. At work, I'm a super-star with my diet....so, no worries there. At home, I am too lax - and I'd like to tighten that up so that I get what I REALLY want (which is a layer of fat removed before summer)!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Amy - I'm sorry about the dog :( At least you tried your best <3 And I don't think you look 36 at all either! 114 is pretty good too with upping your calories and stuff, are you noticing a change in measurements at all??

Chloe - I'm glad your weekend went pretty well! Drink up! (with water!!)

Ashley - Welcome back!! Your daughter is beautiful and you'll be back to your goal in no time at all!! Congrats on losing most of your pregnancy weight already!

Beeps - 3 nights in a months is not that bad!! I'd think of it as a success :) That's great that your husband will help you with accountability! It is very hard to do without someone to help in person (I end up caving to the "peer pressure"... maybe I need to find someone!) I hope he helps you out :)

I talked to my mom a little bit this weekend about my workout intentions... She commented on how I'm getting more muscle in my arms (yey!!) and I told her that I LOVED having muscle and that's why I want to work out. I told her I don't understand why girls want to look like a waif, that I want to look athletic and strong.. not huge body builder.. just fit and strong and that I know lifting weights will help me get there.... I think that made her happy to hear that I wasn't trying to get all waify and supermodel skinny, so maybe this will change her mind about me working out more and eating healthier at home :)

I went a little overboard this weekend.... Friday was okay, I went to the gym in the afternoon, had a healthy lunch and had a veggie burger for dinner... along with 3/4 a bottle of skinny girl cosmo.... Saturday I had cereal for breakfast and then greek yogurt and a ritz pb crackerful for lunch and then went on wine tastings to 3 vineyards with my family.... I was a BIT tipsy after that!! And then we went to dinner with my bf's family where I (for some reason) had a cider and a veggie burger with onion rings... along with the other appetizers they ordered.. fried pickles, soft pretzels and sweet potato tater tots... Of course I shoveled it in!! Yesterday we had a surprise baby shower for my jazzercise instructor where I had more food than I needed!! The rest of the food wasn't too bad, but still too much... I wanted to work out yesterday, but I'm trying to get my projects done for my master seamstress class that ends in 4 weeks and I still have a TON to do! (I'm making a blazer with traditional tailoring techniques... meaning A LOT of hand sewing... I still have to hand sew my entire lining into the jacket!! eek! and I have to make myself a bathing suit as well... this will be a loooong 4 weeks!) But I'm hoping I will be able to keep some motivation to get more work outs AND more of my projects done!

Sorry, this has been a long post!! I hope everyone has a great Monday!