2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new ladies!!! Lots of good stuff going on in here!!! Yay for the successes so far on the challenges, upcoming trips, upcoming weddings, galas, races/marathons...so much going on!!

A couple of things have stuck out to me in the recent posts:

1. Pictures/measurements - This is such a great way to see changes!!! When I was working on my abs this summer, taking a weekly pic helped me see the changes and it was so motivating!! With pics and measurements, even if the scale doesn't move (which the scale is only one way to measure the progress/success of our efforts) your measurements/pics may show some change because of the recomposition of your body. Which brings me to point #2.

2. Strength training - Before fitness became my job, and when I initially lost 17 pounds and got to my goal weight, I was still disappointed with how my body looked. I was only doing cardio and counting cals. I did the research and started to focus on quality of cals and started lifting heavier and it totally changed how my body looked. I prob only lost about 5 more pounds, but I lost a ton of inches (especially around the mid section), clothes sizes and BODYFAT!!! I looked tighter, skinnier and healthier. Lifting weights is SOOOOOO important for burning fat and increasing/maintaining muscle. (especially if you are doing a lot of cardio). You don't have to do THAT much cardio.

I on the other hand, teach so many classes, I have no choice to do all that cardio, but I do some walking around and checking form so I'm not constantly going at it for an hour. I also lift REALLY HEAVY and I love it :) Well, I did til surgery :ohwell: As soon as I hit my 1 month mark, you can bet I will be working my way back up to those big weights again :happy:

Keep up the great work ladies!!! So happy to :flowerforyou: have this group
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    Welcome Nadine!
    Sounds like you have great goals and you know where you are headed. Are you doing any strength training? We have found that really helps a lot in addition to cardio when you are already relatively lean.
    I am a bit nervous about the running not leading to weight loss. I am training for a half marathon (just started) and have been counting on that cardio helping me get to my goal weight. I am also weight training 3x a week, so maybe that will make the difference.

From what I've been reading you can still run and lose the weight, you just need to run differently. Apparently doing a 30 minute run incorporating 6 x 30 second sprints (literally sprinting as fast as you possibly can) with long slow recoveries in between will be as good for you as a 90minute steady run. The idea is that you have slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. When your running long and slow you're only using the slow twitch muscles, and these don't do much for burning fat and they don't grow when they repair. It's the fast twitch muscles that get bigger and burn the most fact, but you have to activate them by going all out. My plan is to keep doing the long runs, because your feet need to be able to handle pounding the pavement for that long, but mixing in sprints throughout them.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    Options
    I am not lifting "heavy", yet jenomaha, but that is (sort of) my goal. I can say, at this point, I am increasing the weight that I work with each and every day that I am doing strength-training. So, on that level, I'm excited!!

And, nadine, I think the "HIIT" you are talking about (for runners) also makes total sense. So, thank you for posting that - of course some runners have amazing physiques, etc., but I also know a LOT of runners whose physiques I would NOT trade for, at all.

(Same with guys at the gym lifting "heavy" weights - lots of them don't have bodies that I'd be too proud of...)
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Week One Day Two went well. I stayed within my calorie goal and ate according to my plan for the day :-) I even lifted weights for the first time in weeks and, although I didn't run nearly as long as I had planned, I did manage to put in some time on the treadmill also.
    Hopefully I am finally back on board and shaking off the eating everything in sight that has been controlling me for weeks.
    I was reading a thread yesterday about a medication that I started taking recently and that shed a lot of light. Seems like the increased appetite can be partly blamed on the meds (along with the random nausea, hot flashes, lightheadedness, and other side effects) although it is still my fault that I acted on the increased appetite and chose the foods that I did. I am meeting with my doc about the meds next week - I will be begging for anything else without these side effects!
    I already feel so much better just being back on a "program" and motivated again.

@Beeps - "Heavy" is a relative term. If you are lifting as heavy as you can and are working your way upward, then you are definitely lifting "heavy". :-)

@Nadine - I will try adding in the sprints once I have gotten to a point when I can actually run a decent distance again. Thanks!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    My 2 week challenge is to keep going strong with my TurboFire and Chalean hybrid program, I am currently on week 7 of 12. Also I would really like to chill out with the drinking during the week at least for the month of December because I know all the holiday parties will add up, so if I cut out my glass or 2 of wine a night that may give me a little more of a cushion for the weekend!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Welcome, Nadine!
    I finished Day 3 of the Jamie Eason Livefit Trainer (why have I not acronymed that yet?!) It went alright, I am sore today and it is my legs now.
    I am not sure about her plan because yesterday all the work was on the machines, and I had learned from the KISS workout that we should be doing more free weights for the other benefits, but I am going to stick with her plan. I think the first couple of weeks isolates muscles. There were some weighted squats with the bar, yesterday, but the rest were leg machines.
    I was pretty good with my food and I have not drank since I started the plan. I am going to try not to drink except a little on Friday and Saturday.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    I am not lifting "heavy", yet jenomaha, but that is (sort of) my goal. I can say, at this point, I am increasing the weight that I work with each and every day that I am doing strength-training. So, on that level, I'm excited!!

And, nadine, I think the "HIIT" you are talking about (for runners) also makes total sense. So, thank you for posting that - of course some runners have amazing physiques, etc., but I also know a LOT of runners whose physiques I would NOT trade for, at all.

(Same with guys at the gym lifting "heavy" weights - lots of them don't have bodies that I'd be too proud of...)

I haven't figured out all the lingo, lol, but yes I have the un-desirable semi-chubby marathoners body! Even a lot of the very slim marathoners I still would not want to look like, they're slim but it's a "skinny fat" there is no muscle tone. I wan't to be toned! I am on a 5k plan right now, and I just want to run it as fast as I possibly can, hopefully in under 22 minutes. It only has interval training 1 day a week and too many long easy runs, so I will probably deviate from it a little bit and do more interval days.

Didn't make it to the gym last night because I was feeling sick, but still stayed within my calorie goal and got lot's of sleep so I feel good today. Todays goal is 30 second stair sprints every hour, yoga at lunch, bodyrock workout after work followed by 5k W3D2: interval training: 6x400m sprints in 1min45sec each. And yay it's Sunny out!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    asjerven - I don't know anything about the "research" on using free weights, rather than machines. I am using a lot of free weights on upper body. But, my entire lower body weight-training is with machines. Part of the reason I am doing that is I do NOT have a work-out partner - so, nobody to watch my form, except me. I have lower-back issues - and I'm pretty comfortable that when I am using the machines, my back isn't going to pop-out.

I'd be worried about my back popping if trying to do squats or lunges (with barbells, for example). Does the research show that there is a LOT of difference between free weights and machines??
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today is my upper-body weight-training. I actually don't feel, in my back, when I do dumbbell rows, so I have switched that exercise for a lat pull-down exercise (on a weight machine). I started that on Nov. 25th, so we shall see if that makes a difference.

I need to do some measurements, I guess...to see if I've made any progress. All the paperwork I am filling out shows a steady progression of the amount of weight that I am lifting, but the scale sure shows nothing. And, it has been 2.5 weeks at this point.

Even if I just measure myself as a benchmark for where I will be at week 12, that's probably a good thing. I just ate out last night, though, and am probably carrying extra sodium around - not sure I want to measure my belly TODAY...
  • amysj303
    Options
    asjerven - I don't know anything about the "research" on using free weights, rather than machines. I am using a lot of free weights on upper body. But, my entire lower body weight-training is with machines. Part of the reason I am doing that is I do NOT have a work-out partner - so, nobody to watch my form, except me. I have lower-back issues - and I'm pretty comfortable that when I am using the machines, my back isn't going to pop-out.

I'd be worried about my back popping if trying to do squats or lunges (with barbells, for example). Does the research show that there is a LOT of difference between free weights and machines??
    I think they just said it's better for core strength to use the free weights because you have to use more muscles to stabilize, but the Jamie Eason plan really tries to isolate the different muscle groups so I think that is why they use the machines.
    what is wrong with your back, Beeps? Have you seen a physical therapist? I think they are super-helpful when it comes to advising you on exercises you can do that target the instability. I used to have back pain but it has been better since I have been working on strength training.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    There isn't anything wrong with my back at the moment. But, about 6 1/2 years ago, I put it "out" - simply by bending over when brushing my teeth. Aaaaaggghhhh!! It was actually that "injury" which had me looking for an outlet, like bikram hot yoga, to try and SPECIFICALLY strengthen my back.

Anyhoooo, after 2 1/2 years of bikram, I put my neck, shoulder AND back out in mid-August this year. Which, for me, really means that bikram, while a super-duper exercise, isn't really "strengthening" the way I thought it was. Flexibility? For sure. But "strength"?? Um, not really.

So, I'm back to strength-training, now. I do agree that using one's core is a good thing. But, my husband thinks it is all "bunk" to try and do all this core stuff (he is an ex-athlete....an opinionated one!). I'll never be any good at planks, for example - my back cannot take that stress and it wants to "pop". I can do ab exercises on a mat or on a bench, but not in plank form.

I've been to the chiropractor, for weeks after the original injury, and then for about 10 treatments after my August injury. He helped TREMENDOUSLY.

So, there is no pain in my back, at present. But, I can sure tell, when I'm doing various strength-training, the exercises that want to "aggravate" that injury.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hey Beeps, when you do your DB rows, are you doing single arm? bending over? lifting heavy enough? That would be targeting your mid back. Switching to the lat pull down is going to target more of your side back muscles (hence your lats). If you'd like to target the mid back, maybe you can try a seated cable row? Instead of putting your feet on the foot rest, put your feet on the floor, engage your core, pull straight back with your elbows brushing alongside your ribs and squeeze between your shoulder blades, releasing with a 4 count. Or on a freemotion machine, you can combine squats with cable rows or even hold a squat while you row, or incorporate single arm rows...
    I used to have a weak back and lot of lower back pain. As my core has strengthened and as I've stretched my hamstrings more, my back pain has disappeared. But I suppose it depends on each individual, the cause for the pain and other factors. But increased core strength has definitely improved my back all around.

And lastly, on the squatting with a barbell and not having a spot...I know there has been controversy on using the Smith machine or not, but I've incorporated it in my workouts and I feel really comfortable doing it on my own using it. I am able to go deep and a little heavier.

Ok, I'm done! Just some of my thoughts, lol!! :happy:
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Day 3 of week one. Excercise great - food not so much. Trail mix is evil. It seems like a healthy snack but it's addictive and the fat and calories add up quick. I must get rid of it!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm late with my two week goal.... To get at least 15 minutes of exercise each day. Considering I work 13.5 hours a day and spend an additional 2 hours in traffic this would be good for me. Since the weather has turned cold, I've basically quit walking so I don't get any exercise. Need to change that!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Down to my last 1lb and my calorie goal is now 1500 NET. Trying to stick to that and not weighing myself for 2 weeks, that is my challenge at the moment :)

Hopefully by Dec 16th I will be at my target weight- fingers crossed!
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Day 3 was a success! Ate well (except for those tootsie rolls, but still came in under goal) and managed a 3.2 mile run in 31 minutes without walking :-). I don't know why there is such a difference in my ability to keep going when I run outside (yesterday) and run on the treadmill (Mon and Tues), but it is getting colder and I won't be able to convince myself to run outside much longer.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday and boy did I FAIL!!!! I had a whole plan where I would be under calories, but then a coworker brought me a brownie in the afternoon. Had a couple extra drinks at dinner and then the husband bought me a birthday cake for when we got home for dessert. I forced myself to log everything this morning just to make sure I work on have the deficit over the next few days to make up for it!
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    Day 3 was a success! Ate well (except for those tootsie rolls, but still came in under goal) and managed a 3.2 mile run in 31 minutes without walking :-). I don't know why there is such a difference in my ability to keep going when I run outside (yesterday) and run on the treadmill (Mon and Tues), but it is getting colder and I won't be able to convince myself to run outside much longer.

I am in the same position, I have a really hard time staying motivated on the treadmill and end up cutting my workouts short. I find it helps to break it up into intervals but still... I ran in 6 inches of slush the other day just because it was more appealling than spending an hour on the treadmill.
  • amysj303
    Options
    Happy, Birthday, Chloe!
    Congrats, arwensb! I run so much better outside too!
    Bif snowy day in Colorado today...
    I stuck to the Jamie Eason plan, 4 days so far. Now we have 3 days off from exercise, so I just have to be good about food.
    Ended up drinking last night, so that was a mini-fail, but it was red wine and I should have stuck to two glasses but I had 3. I wasn't over too bad on cals all together, but with the JELF (Jamie Eason Live Fit) she doesn't care about calories, just eating the approved foods, and that will never include wine, but we gotta live our lives...
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday and boy did I FAIL!!!! I had a whole plan where I would be under calories, but then a coworker brought me a brownie in the afternoon. Had a couple extra drinks at dinner and then the husband bought me a birthday cake for when we got home for dessert. I forced myself to log everything this morning just to make sure I work on have the deficit over the next few days to make up for it!

good for you for logging it all! I really need to be more disciplined about doing that when I mess up.