What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    I just watched the new Dune movie - it ends halfway through the first book - I heard they have been given the go ahead for the second movie. Ok - not nearly as good as the book.

I am in a library wait line for book 4. I guess the popularity of the movie skyrocketed the popularity of the book series?
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I am enjoying my slow reading of the Legend of Perley Gates western series by William W. Johnstone, with J. A. Johnstone (his niece and co-author, since William passed away in 2004). This is a later-written series so I guess the niece is the sole author.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading The Cook's Tale, by Nancy Jackman, and I love it. It is a biography of her life working "downstairs" or in domestic service.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Ooh, gotta love a Kindle book sale! $1.99 - $3.99 per book. And a "buy $25 get $6 in credit" offer too!

I bought Savage Legion and Savage Bounty by Matt Wallace, Empire of Black and Gold and Dragonfly Falling by Adrian Tchaikovsky, Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi, A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine, Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley, and Ariadne by Jennifer Saint. That earned me the $6 to go toward Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander #9) which is pretty expensive at $16, releasing Tuesday.

I'm reading the fifth Perley Gates western by Johnstone, Red River Vengeance. I've enjoyed this series a lot.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    1000 Years for Joys and Sorrows by Ai Weiwei
    Interesting memoir of his father and his own life by dissident Chinese artist
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Ayad Akhtar, Homeland Elegies
    Complicated mix of fact and fiction about the Pakistani experience in the U.S. after 9/11. Eye-opening and repellant all in one...
    I need to read something lighthearted and"fun." Do they still make that?
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »
    Ayad Akhtar, Homeland Elegies
    Complicated mix of fact and fiction about the Pakistani experience in the U.S. after 9/11. Eye-opening and repellant all in one...
    I need to read something lighthearted and"fun." Do they still make that?

I read some Patrick F. McManus recently for that reason. He was a humor writer on the back page of Outdoor Life magazine for years, so many of his stories relate to fishing and hunting and being in the outdoors as a child and young adult. I like them, but they may not be for the non-outdoors-person. The genre still exists though. Richard Peck is a good one, I've written much of what he wrote.

I just finished Cytonic (Skyward Flight #3) by Brandon Sanderson (YA sci-fi) that came out Tuesday. I gave it 5 stars, as is usual for anything written by Brandon.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I read some Patrick F. McManus recently for that reason. He was a humor writer on the back page of Outdoor Life magazine for years, so many of his stories relate to fishing and hunting and being in the outdoors as a child and young adult. I like them, but they may not be for the non-outdoors-person. The genre still exists though. Richard Peck is a good one, I've written much of what he wrote.

I've got a Patrick McManus book around here somewhere, Catfish_Fan, so I will dig that out. Thank you!
    In the meantime, I've started "Murder in the Locked Library" by Ellery Adams in the hope that it was be diverting. You and our dear friend on Spark People turned me on to Richard Peck, and I'm so grateful.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finished Jeff Wheeler's Grave Kingdom trilogy last night with book 3, The Immortal Words. He left the door open for a book 4 or another trilogy, ending on a cliffhanger of sorts.

Now I am reading a lighter urban fantasy, #11 in the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey, Ballistic Kiss. It's more of what I expect from the series. I heard that the series is ending soon, at least I hope the ending is funny.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I had to abandon "Murder in the Locked Library." Just too "cozy and cute" for me. "A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka (a "comic" novel about dysfunctional immigrant families) is much more my speed.
    :D
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Really enjoying "Sergei Tretyakov, A Revolutionary Writer in Stalin's Russia" by Robert Leach, though I admit it might not be for everyone!
    <3
  • Hanoverlady1
    Hanoverlady1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really miss the small town Ireland novels of Patrick Taylor who has retired. So I was glad to have stumbled on the series by Felicity Hayes-McCoy. The first is "The Library at the Edge of the World". I enjoyed it and will read the others in the series but I didn't fall in love with the characters like I did with the residents of Ballybucklebo.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I'm trying a new fantasy author, R.A. Salvatore. Started The Spearwielder's Tale trilogy with book 1, The Woods Out Back. And my hold on Dune book 4 finally came in at the library, so that is up next.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Thanks to Hanover Lady and Catfish Fan, I've now got Patrick Taylor and Patrick McManus in my queue!
    <3<3<3
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I am currently reading The Cook's Tale, by Nancy Jackman, and I love it. It is a biography of her life working "downstairs" or in domestic service.

BTW beccaboo, thanks so much for this review. I read the book as a result and was enchanted. Such a marvelous voice.
  • Hanoverlady1
    Hanoverlady1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just finished the second of two related books by Dave Eggers - The Every. He calls these two (The first is "The Circle") satires but a lot of it is right on the money about how large tech companies invade our privacy. I've been recommending them to everyone I know who works in any technology-related field.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finished God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert but I didn't "get" it. I gave it 2 stars.

Now I am reading King Bullet, the final Sandman Slim urban fantasy novel, by Richard Kadrey. This is book 12 and it is time for the series to end. I would read more by this author though.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Jackie Fraser, The Bookshop of Second Chances. Seems like a rom-com with a twist. I'm enjoying the change of pace...
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Patrick McManus, The Huckleberry Murders. Just loving it!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    So I actually liked Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, even though it is entirely YA and quite unlike the cutesy movie made from the book. It had some themes that were not for younger audiences though. It was an easy, fluff style read.

Now I am reading the recently released audio version of Ilse Witch (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara book 1) by Terry Brooks, as an immersion read. I have read this book before but it was 20 years ago. The audiobook versions of this trilogy have never been produced until this fall.