What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Red Rising by Pierce Brown. I've read this one before but I can't remember it well enough to continue with the series. Apparently the last time I read it I liked it, but I don't remember much of it so far.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Gave up on Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner, at least for now. Interesting, but a bit overwrought.

Today I'm starting Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. I was happy my library had it!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Red Rising by Pierce Brown. I've read this one before but I can't remember it well enough to continue with the series. Apparently the last time I read it I liked it, but I don't remember much of it so far.

I truly read this book before? I guess it was in early 2017... Well my take was a bit different this time. I agree wholeheartedly with the top review on Goodreads of this novel.

"When I first read the book I must have been on crack, because it went from 4 stars to 5 and my favorites list! It's bloodydamn awesome! Let me just say the second time around listening to it on audio was fanfreakingtastic! The narrator nails it and there is a song in the book and a woman sings it at the end and I got freaking chills people. Chills!"

I don't usually follow a book with it's sequel because of book hangover and burnout and all of that, but this one just has to be followed. Golden Son by Pierce Brown is my current next read.

o07u46zf6hg7.jpg

w6fepgpb41ub.jpg

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    I don't usually follow a book with it's sequel because of book hangover and burnout and all of that, but this one just has to be followed.

I find this statement amazing. I prefer my book series like I prefer my movie series...all of them in a row, maybe not binging in a single day but without another title in between. This makes for me the series seem less like a string of single books, and more like a single long, involved saga with commercial breaks throughout (time spent eating, working, sleeping, swapping one book/DVD for the next, etc.).
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I had to put Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl on hold. It's interesting, but requires more commitment than I can make right now. I've switched to Donna Leon, The Temptation of Forgiveness, and as usual it's the perfect antidote to stress and irritation. Love me some Guido Brunetti in Venice!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I am enjoying an audio lecture series from The Great Courses, How to Listen to and Understand Great Music by Professor Robert Greenberg. It is a series of college course lectures of 45 minutes each, and the total is 36.5 hours of learning. So far it is very good.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I am enjoying an audio lecture series from The Great Courses, How to Listen to and Understand Great Music by Professor Robert Greenberg. It is a series of college course lectures of 45 minutes each, and the total is 36.5 hours of learning. So far it is very good.

While this is very long, I have also started a book of short stories based off Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back entitled From a Certain Point of View, edited by Elizabeth Schaefer. This provides a break from all the learning about Baroque Fugues and such, which while fascinating, gets a bit dry after several hours in a row.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Ghosts of Bungo Suido (World War II Navy #2) by P.T. Deutermann
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I've just started Home in the World by Amartya Sen. I've enjoyed some of his scholarly work so I'm excited to read this memoir.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Just started The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams for the first time.

Finished The Misremembered Man - 3.5 stars rounded to 4 on Good Reads.

• Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read part of A Million Ways to Die in the West by Seth MacFarlane. I wish I hadn't. It was so bad that I quit. As far as it goes, it was supposed to be an irreverent Western, but it fell completely flat for me. I guess it was based on a movie that I will never watch.

Now I am reading Sentinels of Fire (World War II Navy book 3) by P. T. Deutermann. I like this historical fiction author. Not as good as Jeff Shaara, but not many are.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Misery by Stephen King
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Beneath the Keep: A Novel of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    Game of Thrones, book 2: Clash of Kings

I avoided the GoT books for years, figuring if non-fantasy peeps liked it, I wouldn't. But for once, the public perception was correct, and I've enjoyed these books immensely.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

I avoided the GoT books for years, figuring if non-fantasy peeps liked it, I wouldn't. But for once, the public perception was correct, and I've enjoyed these books immensely.

I'm kind of in that boat too. I hear everyone rave about the books and show and keep meaning to get to them, but if they are so popular probably I wouldn't like as much as everyone and be let down. I have read other GRRM stuff though and really liked it, I don't know why I hold off? Wildcards series is great, granted he was just an editor and other authors contributed, but still. I've read some non GoT stuff too by him and liked it.
  • FitMary202
    Options

It's nice when the group gets it right for a change! I've been disappointed by many bestsellers. Great to hear of one that didn't disappoint!

Speaking of crowd pleasers, I finally finished the Guido Brunetti book I was reading (#27 in a series of 31!), and I've started something completely different, an edition of letters by an early Moravian settler to Pennsylvania called The Letters of Mary Penry: A Single Moravian Woman in Early America, by Scott Gordon. Very far from my normal fare, but worth a glance.
  • Btrflydog
    Options

I have the first 3 books sitting on my TBR shelf(pile) - Haven't started them because I felt the same way. Glad to hear you are enjoying them. May try to start the books this year.

Currently reading Mercy - David Baldacci
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone by Diana Gabaldon
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Finally got a copy of The Every by Dave Eggers from the library and I'm really enjoying it!
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    The Killing of the Tinkers - Ken Bruen