What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Lightning Down: A World War II Story of Survival
    by Tom Clavin

I needed a non-fiction book for a kindle challenge and this story of a downed airman who was sent to Buchenwald death camp fits the criteria.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Started Hamid Ismailov, The Dead Lake.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The Silent Patient - Alex Michaelides
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read and enjoyed Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, and found it to be a lot different than I expected. This was my first Heinlein book and was written in 1959. I had in mind the (bad) movie I saw but I was surprised that it wasn't like that at all. A lot of philosophical discussion in the book for a sci-fi, some of it fairly controversial, especially for the time.

Then I finished up The Spearwielder's Tale trilogy with book three, Dragonslayer's Return by R.A. Salvatore. It was an immersion read and was narrated rather poorly by Paul Boehmer. The storyline wasn't super either but I finished it.

Now I am starting a novella, Made Things by Adrian Tchaikovsky, narrated by the author. I don't know what to expect, I have read some of his before and liked them a lot, but they are strange. This one is fantasy and should not take me very long, it is pretty short.

And next up is Wolfskin (Saga of the Light Isles #1) by Juliet Marillier. It is a 23 hour fantasy narrated by Saskia Maarleveld (another immersion read). Not sure if I will get that one finished in April.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Ismailov's The Dead Lake was amazing! Now I've started Fine Boys by Eghosa Imasuen. It's billed as a coming-of-age story set in Nigeria and it's also starting out very well.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Finished The Silent Patient - Alex Michaelides - 5 stars on Good Reads. Had a great gothic feel to it. I used to read a lot of Victoria Holt as a teenager, and it reminded me of her. Funny to see he mentioned her in the credits at the end.

Next up The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club by Laurie Notaro.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Wolfskin was a 5 star read, I have liked everything by Juliet Marillier that I have read. More mythology than fantasy.

I read Riding Shotgun (Red Ryan #1) by William W. Johnstone with J.A. Johnstone, it was ok for a cheesy western.

Now I am reading Hawk, which continues James Patterson's Maximum Ride series with a new generation. It is #10 in the series.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Past Tense (Jack Reacher book 23) by Lee Child
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1)
    by Brandon Sanderson
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Blood Memory by Greg Iles
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    The Searcher - Tana French
  • FitMary202
    Options
    All that She Carried: The Journey of Ashley's Sack, A Black Family Keepsake by Tiya Miles
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Read How it Went Down by Kekla Magoon. This was an immersion read with the audiobook, narrated by many voices. I rated it 4 stars.

Now reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Needed a distraction so I'm trying The Eyre Affair, a Thursday Next book (who knew?) by Jasper Fforde.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Sometimes we need to read something light and fun. Alias Grace was a great book but pretty intense. I am now reading Morgawr (The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy book 3) by Terry Brooks, it is a lighter fantasy that I last read many years ago.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,460 Member
    Options
    I shall never understand how you can pick up a random book in a series and get involved, without reading all the preceding books recently to get familiar with situation, characters, etc.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I shall never understand how you can pick up a random book in a series and get involved, without reading all the preceding books recently to get familiar with situation, characters, etc.

It does seem strange, I admit, but I've done it so many times, and some writers seem to expect it, or at least make it easy to drop in and drop out. Donna Leon's Guido Brunetti mysteries are like that. If I end up loving the series, I sometimes go back and read in order, but not always!
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited May 2022
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

That is how books are released in a series, if you read them when they get released. Terry Brooks' books are a year apart and in the same series. I don't save them all up until the series is finished to read them, I read them as they come out. That being said, because I read so many books in a short time I try to limit the number of continuing serial series that I have started at one time. I read the first and second books of The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara series in the previous year's time, so it is very easy to remember what I had read and remember my place. YMMV with long books like The Song of Ice and Fire series, I have not read that one. I did read the Outlander series at about one book a year pace, because they are so long... 45 or more hours long on audiobook format. And the gap between book 8 and 9 was 2014-2021, I was able to remember most of what was going on. I reread book 7 before I started book 8 though, because it had been a long time between my readings of those.