Passing - Nella Larsen
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Lost Among the Living - Simone St. James
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What We Carry: A Memoir by Maya Shanhbag Lang. Thinner than I'd expected...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The Expert System's Brother by Adrian Tchaikovsky
  • FitMary202
    Options
    When time stopped: A Memoir of My Father's War and What Remains by Ariana Neumann
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Etched in Bone (The Others #5) by Anne Bishop. This is an audiobook immersion read, I may not finish it in 2021 yet because it is 16 hours in length. I don't like to race when I read, if I get to it I do, if not it will start out 2022.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Winter in the Blood by James Welch. I'd never heard of this, but it was absorbing. So evocative of the American West...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I couldn't quite manage to finish the book I was reading in 2021, so it is added to 2022 stats, I finished it today. Now I am reading Dark Screams Volume 4 edited by Brian James Freeman. It's a book of short stories that isn't very long, should finish today. One of the stories was written by Clive Barker but it wasn't very impressive, some of the others are more interesting.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    P.T. Deutermann, Pacific Glory. This is a historical fiction about the Pacific theater Navy in World War II.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    After Midnight by Irmgard Keun. Fascinating!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Evershore (Skyward Flight novella #3) by Brandon Sanderson. Looks like another 5 star read so far.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I've started Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner, which I expected to love. Not sure yet though...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Pacific Glory and Evershore did not disappoint, 5 stars each. I'm now reading Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler and can tell (about 20% into it) that it will be a 5 star read too. 2022 is beginning with a streak!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    I'm trying a new fantasy author, R.A. Salvatore. Started The Spearwielder's Tale trilogy with book 1, The Woods Out Back. And my hold on Dune book 4 finally came in at the library, so that is up next.

For the record, Salvatore is new to you, but he's been writing for decades now. I've been reading his Drizzt books for almost 30 years now, and he just came out with book 1 of a new trilogy. Love them all! By contrast, I read his Spearwielder's Tale, never got quite as into it.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I'm trying a new fantasy author, R.A. Salvatore. Started The Spearwielder's Tale trilogy with book 1, The Woods Out Back. And my hold on Dune book 4 finally came in at the library, so that is up next.

For the record, Salvatore is new to you, but he's been writing for decades now. I've been reading his Drizzt books for almost 30 years now, and he just came out with book 1 of a new trilogy. Love them all! By contrast, I read his Spearwielder's Tale, never got quite as into it.

Oh yeah, I know. Drizzt is on my gigantic TBR pile. Salvatore is "new to me" (I should have clarified), meaning I have never read him before only, other than his Star Wars Attack of the Clones movie novelization. I found the first book of the Spearwielder's Tale to be kind of a parody book of Lord of the Rings, not to be taken super seriously, and I haven't read book two yet. They were available in Kindle Unlimited and I checked them out because of that but maybe that wasn't the best place to start reading him. Do you think his other series, "Chronicles of Ynis Aielle", "Crimson Shadow", or "Chronicles of the First King" are better? I own paperbacks of those as well as the Drizzt series, just haven't gotten to them.

I'm now reading Projekt 1065 by Alan Gratz. It's a YA book about the Hitler Youth and Messerschmitt 262 jet fighter in World War II. I don't know how it is going to turn out but it is a short read at least.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I picked a couple more from Kindle Unlimited. Right now reading Wintersteel (Cradle book 8) by Will Wight.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Pacific Glory and Evershore did not disappoint, 5 stars each. I'm now reading Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler and can tell (about 20% into it) that it will be a 5 star read too. 2022 is beginning with a streak!

I read Octavia E. Butler's Kindred not long ago. It's amazing how well the story held up even though she wrote it in the 70's. I've been looking forward to reading Parable of the Sower - just need to find a copy.

Currently reading The Misremembered Man - Christina McKenna