Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are you reading currently?

Replies

• Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,496 Member
    Thanks for sharing all that and great job on losing weight. I too am gearing towards the number on the scale for my next doctor's visit the beginning of November. If I can lose another 12 pounds or so I will only be overweight and not obese. As for your search for well-fitting affordable shoes. Last year I could barely go on a walk because of my Achillies heal hurting so much. I got a pair of Vionics. They can be expensive. Bought a second pair at Amazon. Sometimes the Vionics site has clearance or coupons. And Amazon Prime days are just around the corner - try watching for deals there.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the book.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 481 Member
    I'm reading the second book in the MaddAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood, The Year of the Flood. In my workout time I am enjoying the YA books by Alan Gratz. They are easy reads and easily listened to on audiobook format while I put in my steps. Something Rotten was good, Ground Zero was very good, and I'm into Two Degrees today.

My shoe solution was the New Balance model I have been wearing in size W, or 2E. I never knew that size existed, I have only ever seen 4E or D widths in stores. Amazon stocked them and my size was only $57. They fit great! I'm averaging 11,000 steps per day this week.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,448 Member
    @Catfish_Fan That's an inspiring story, especially in light of the problems finding a decent fit in shoes! Well done. Good luck reaching Onederland! I'm sure you've got that in you by August!!

I finished No Live Files Remain by Andras Forgach by the dissident writer who learned that his parents were both informers in Soviet Hungary. It was a tortured story, of course, so in contrast The Ministry of Time: A Novel by Kaliane Bradley has been a real blast to read...

Good to be home after time away visiting family in cool Colorado!
  • Btrflydog
    @Catfish_Fan - Glad you got your shoes!

Finished It Ends With Us - Colleen Hoover 4 *

Next up Coraline - Neil Gaiman
  • Btrflydog
    Finished - Coraline - Neil Gaiman 4 stars on Goodreads

Rereading The Firm by John Grisham next before I read the sequel. I first read it back in my late teens early 20's. Will see if I enjoy it as much as I did then.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I read Margaret Atwood's second book in the MaddAddam trilogy The Year of the Flood and found the music and singing to be just weird. The whole book had a strange feel to me, but the singing was over the top. I really liked book one, Oryx and Crake.

Then I read the Kwame Alexander trilogy The Crossover including The Crossover, Booked, and Rebound and liked that quite well for the age group it was aimed at. As an adult I generally don't read a lot of middle grade books but these were short and I finished them all in a day.

I'm currently finishing The Iron Druid Chronicles with Scourged by Kevin Hearne. I am ready for this series to end, but I have read this far so I will read book 10. That talking dog stuff is not fun anymore.
  • FitMary202
    Finished The Ministry of Time, which was fun, though she went off the rails toward the end. I absolutely LOVED This is Happiness by Niall Williams and will look for another book by him at the library very soon. Also reading Slow Noodles by Chantha Nguon and about to start Stoner by John Williams.
  • FitMary202
    Finished Stoner, working on Slow Noodles, and getting ready to find another Williams novel and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow for a Z author.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I'm reading a book off the list I created from the Great Courses lecture series I listened to about Great American Bestsellers. I picked a classic, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I have never even heard a summary of the story before I had listened to that lecture.
  • FitMary202
    Finished Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow so I'm looking for another book. I got several from the library, including The History of Rain by Niall Williams, so I hope there will be another winner there. Summer is wonderful!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Finishing the J.A. Johnstone western series "Have Brides, Will Travel" book 3 Till Death tonight. J.A. is the niece of her late uncle William who's name she writes under. This series is a bit better than the usual Johnstone fare, which is typically pretty formulaic as far as westerns go, but they are entertaining if I want a light read.

I moved some books at my mom's garage sale in the last couple of days, in other news. She posted some sets on Facebook Marketplace and got hits on the Stephen King set from all over the US, people wanting me to ship them ($4 for 5 books was the asking price! Not shipping them! Or delivering them as one person asked!) Some of the inquiries were from North Carolina or Florida, that listing must have been "featured". No, you have to come to my house in Michigan! Someone made a special trip for a box of John Grisham hardcovers from 30 miles away. I sold the Stephen King books to a neighbor today. I have had no hits on my set of Anne McCaffrey "Dragonriders of Pern" hardcover set though, I have the first 17 novels in the series and I am only asking $20. Those are classic sci-fi. On eBay they are selling "lots" of 7 or 8 well worn/used novels for $35 + shipping, I thought I might get *some* kind of interest at my low price. I'll keep them rather than give them away for nothing.

And tonight I found a deal on Humble Bumble for all 19 Ender's Game novels by Orson Scott Card in e-book format for only $18. I have a few of those in print, the first two series and a few of the others... I can get rid of the print books now, no need to move them to a new home ever again. Spent my earnings from garage sales book sales on e-books, that is the way I roll. I am making some money on other junk too, cleaning out my closet, my biggest sale was $50 for a catfish reel.

• Btrflydog
    Well done on the book sales! Nice to clear space and pick up a few bucks.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I started one immersion read, Victoria Schwab's The Near Witch, and while I have been preoccupied with the sale I am listening to J.A. Johnstone's Winchester: 1886, a western.
  • FitMary202
    edited July 27
    Love the idea of clearing some space! You're inspiring me, @Catfish_Fan !
    I just finished another Niall Williams book, History of the Rain, which--against all odds--he manages to make uplifting.
    I might start Charles Dickens, Hard Times, next.
  • Btrflydog
    Finished the Firm by John Grisham 4.5* even though it is now dated. Looking forward to see where the main characters go in the sequel.

Now reading It Starts with Us - Colleen Hoover.
  • FitMary202
    Picking up Anne Enright, The Gathering from the library today.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I have been active so listening to Winchester:1887, the sequel to the other book I read, and I haven't made any progress on my immersion read. I made my first batch of salsa verde today, but it has jalapenos and those bother my stomach so I have to wait to eat some until after my morning doctor appointment tomorrow lest I get sick...
  • Catfish_Fan
    I read the 22 hour audiobook/immersion read of The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy for the past three days. I found it to be a "meh" book for me, it had a good premise but I have been involved in psychiatry as a patient for over 20 years and I have never met a psych provider that acted at all like the psychiatrist in this book (they do pills only and appointments last 15 minutes at the top end, not lengthy conversations like in this book), and then she slept with the main character at the end, which is kind of over-the-top preposterous. I only rated it 3 stars and I was generous.
  • Btrflydog
    Finished it Starts with Us - Collen Hoover 4 stars - the first book was better.

Next up - This is Not My Beautiful Life - Victoria Fedden

I have to agree @Catfish_Fan - I've read The Prince of Tide twice. Both times because I had watched the movie. You get more of the back story about the twin sister in the book. But not a "literary gem".
  • FitMary202
    I agree with you both about Prince of Tides, though my memory of it is hazy...

Ian Johnson, Sparks: China's Underground Historians and Their Battle for the Future is fascinating.

DNF Enright's The Gathering. I gave it a go, but that is a nasty book.