Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are you reading currently?

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 481 Member
    Legends and Lattes by Travis Baldree is pretty good so far, and short.
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited August 3
    I liked Little Women (parts 1 & 2 which I didn't realize were two books until I got into the second half, Good Wives). I'm now reading Little Men and enjoying that one too. I have an omnibus that contains all of the three (or four?) books, also Jo's Boys, that I got for free one day on Amazon for kindle. It is a good series.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Finished Louisa May Alcott with Jo's Boys tonight, which wasn't as strong as the others to me.

Now I am starting book one of The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell, Dauntless which has been on my TBR pile for a long time. Military Sci-Fi/Space Opera.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,448 Member
    Started reading a travelogue by Robert Louis Stevenson called The Amateur Emigrant about his journey from Scotland to New York in steerage. So far it's quite interesting and very well written.
    Congratulations on your great progress and all those peppers, @Catfish_Fan ! Impressive work all round!
  • FitMary202
    Really enjoyed The Amateur Emigrant so I'm following that up with Across the Plains. Also reading The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I'm continuing the Jack Campbell series with book 2, Fearless, because I really did like book 1. The books are named after names of the starships in the series.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,496 Member
    Started reading The Exchange by John Grisham this evening. It's the follow up to The Firm which I just recently reread. Only 54 pages into it but so far so good. If I didn't need to get to work in the morning I' probably be up reading for another few hours.
  • FitMary202
    edited August 14
    Just got Lula Dean's Little Library of Banned Books by Kirsten Miller from the library. Let's see how many stories I can juggle at one time... Maybe this will be a quick read?
  • Catfish_Fan
    I finished the Lost Fleet series and then read Tom Lake by Ann Patchett, which was only ok for me, I say "meh" I could have taken or left it. 3 stars was generous, it wasn't a poorly written book it just didn't interest me so I gave it the benefit of the doubt, maybe it is a really good book to someone else.

I'm reading Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo now, something I checked out from Kindle Unlimited back in 2022 when I saw it there (it is not there anymore) so it has been on the TBR list for quite a while... It is pretty good so far.
  • Catfish_Fan
    The sequel to Ninth House, Hell Bent, was also pretty good.

I'm taking a break to read some shorter books for a day or two, both of those clocked in at 16.5 hours each.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Reading a couple of Ellen Hopkins novels, they are short... and banned... so they are worth my time. I have read almost everything by Ellen Hopkins already but there were a few more recent ones I missed. What About Will was good, and I am now listening to People Kill People.
  • Btrflydog
    Yep - nothing like someone banning a book to make me want to read it.

Finished The Exchange - John Grisham - was a good follow up to the characters in The Firm, and so much better that The Boys From Biloxi. I always enjoyed his books, but lately they seem to be hit or miss. This one was a hit for me.

Now reading The Witch Elm - Tana French - so far so good 40 pages in.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I switched gears from Flameborne by Rosaria Munda to Youngblood Hawke by Herman Wouk. I was not getting into the first book and will revisit it when I can concentrate better. The Wouk novel is 40.5 hours long and I have 24 to go, I have 3 days left to get it done by the end of the month. It isn't a race though and if I don't get it done by then I have not lost anything.
  • FitMary202
    "Nothing like someone banning a book to make me want to read it." Now THAT is a great quote!
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited September 1
    I finished Youngblood Hawke, which was not as good as I hoped it would be, then read Red River Seven by A. J. Ryan who is the pen name for fantasy author Anthony Ryan. The book was disappointing also. However, I got up to 10,000 pages read in August according to Goodreads, by far my highest count for a single month and a bar that will stand for a long time in my records as unbeatable.

Now I have 2 days left on my library loan of Flameborne so I got back on the list and I'm in waiting position 7 on 2 copies... Hmm... Do I start the book and hope to complete it on a holiday weekend, when I am busy with other things, or just put it on hold until it comes back in? At that point I would probably have to start over to figure out what is going on. I hate it when library loans are only 14 days instead of 21.
  • Btrflydog
    @Catfish_Fan - that's an impressive page count. It's around what I read in a year. I'd be hard pressed to finish a book in 2 days. I'd have to do nothing but read, and that is usually not an option unless I'm sick and confined to bed.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I didn't get to read today at all, so I am going to have to go in a different direction, not try to get that book done. I won't pay Amazon $10 for it either, that is why I use the libraries.

There are an infinity number of good books out there to find... I am starting to look at articles with recommendations for the better fantasy and sci-fi literature to pick out, with all the authors to choose from. I want to tackle some of the more impressive novels on my tbr mountain, but like Youngblood Hawke that was a bit intimidating at 800 pages. I don't want too many of those long books in a row, I'd burn out on reading.

The page count thing on Goodreads isn't very accurate as to the length of the books being read. I could read a middle grade chapbook with 450 pages in a day, or I could read a James Clavell novel in two weeks and only get credited for 1000 pages. I use audiobooks so I can look at my hours in a little spreadsheet I made, I wasn't too far off my average from previous months on time listening/reading. I happened to read those Ellen Hopkins YA novels and those are written in poem form, few words to a page, so they added an impressive number of pages to raise my monthly page count.

I hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend, or a good weekend if it isn't a holiday for you.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Much slower month, so far. I have finished Fireborne, read a Star Trek: Picard tv show novelization book, and now I'm starting Frank Herbert's Heretics of Dune, which is #5 in the original Dune series. I picked up a "lot" of 19 Brian Herbert Dune books from HumbleBumble for my Kindle, but I want to finish his father's original series before I get into those others. Still popular, I found one of my public libraries had a kindle copy, while the others all had very long wait lines.
  • FitMary202
    Reading The Oppermans by Leon Feuchtwanger and I got How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu. Y is the last letter on my alphabetical list! I'm also dragging my way through Dickens' Hard Times.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Starting the Discworld series with The Color (Colour) of Magic by Sir Terry Pratchett. These are shorter books but there are quite a lot of them.