Stage 2

Options

Replies

• emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    jsextrasmooth: on the topic of shoes - I have written about this before but I am a HUGE proponent of Vibram Five Fingers (the funny looking barefoot running shoes). I have VERY expensive orthodics for over pronation but it SUX wearing them to lift. Any type of running sneaker isn't great for lifting because if throws off your balance with all that padding. The same reasoning behind suggesting converse applies to Five Fingers: they are flat and won't affect your balance. I love the five fingers though because they feel SO natural. I also do trail running and mud runs and the five fingers are PERFECT for that! So there is my two cents...

Thought I would be doing 2A for the second time tmw, but it turns out I have appendicitis (which = massive stomach pain!) which is being treated with antibiotics and means I am not working out until next week probably.

keep kicking butt!
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    jsextrasmooth: on the topic of shoes - I have written about this before but I am a HUGE proponent of Vibram Five Fingers (the funny looking barefoot running shoes). I have VERY expensive orthodics for over pronation but it SUX wearing them to lift. Any type of running sneaker isn't great for lifting because if throws off your balance with all that padding. The same reasoning behind suggesting converse applies to Five Fingers: they are flat and won't affect your balance. I love the five fingers though because they feel SO natural. I also do trail running and mud runs and the five fingers are PERFECT for that! So there is my two cents...

Thought I would be doing 2A for the second time tmw, but it turns out I have appendicitis (which = massive stomach pain!) which is being treated with antibiotics and means I am not working out until next week probably.

keep kicking butt!

Thanks for the info! So you don't wear your orthotics when lifting then? Will try my Speed Cats tonight which are also very flat and thin soled, without the orthotics and see how I go. Hope you're back to your best again very soon :flowerforyou: At least you can enjoy Thanksgiving without feeling guilty about going to the gym!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    FINALLY finished Stage 2 today. I'm only posting my weights for Workout B because my weights for A did not increase much. I pushed through Stage 2 during almost three weeks straight filled of 12+ hour days. Thus, my strength was not what it should have been and I lacked the energy to push as much as I wanted to!

Deadlift: 85lbs
    > 115lbs

Split Squats: BW
    > 40lb BB
    Underhand Lat Pulldown: 70lbs
    > 90lbs

Reverse Lunge with Reach: 5lb DBs 6" step
    > 20lb DBs 13" step (psycho move...my butt is killing me today...)
    Prone Cuban Snatch: 7.5lbs (bad form)
    > 10lbs (good form) could have done 12.5lbs but got lazy

SB Crunches: 12lb ball
    > 18lb ball 12-15 reps depending on my mood
    Lat Flexion: normal
    > with side crunch thing

Cobra: 60s (didn't care to up this)

My husband loved this Stage. He won't stop grabbing my butt, which he insists is somehow "more awesome" than it was before. :noway: Men.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Awesome job holley! You've increased quite a bit! I'll be posting my Stage 2 increases next Monday! Wahoo!!
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow Holly brilliant!

And i was just going to say I don't feel really stretched by this stage. I don't think I am upping my weight too little as during the workouts I am puffed but I don't get any muscle fatigue or aches as I did after stage one which in a funny way I quite like, cos then I know I have really worked. Can't wait to move onto stage 3. Just two more workouts. Still haven't got my head round FSPP so have split if down to an over head press and a separate squat and Super set them.
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Nice stats Holley, great job!

I did 2nd B workout last night with the speed cats which were much better on my feet, but boy was I tired, nearly fell off the step on the reverse lunge with forward reach as my legs were so tired, the abs exercises were a relief in comparison! My legs and shoulders are feeling pretty stiff today. Didn't have the energy for the HIIT so will do that tonight, which leads me to my f**k up!

I've remembered my Doc appt wrong and feel terrible about it! I thought it was tonight and just checked online as wasn't sure if it was 7pm or 7.30pm, only to realise it was last night so I'm officially a Did Not Attend - Oh the shame of it! Have booked an appt for tomorrow and will offer a grovelling apology when I show up.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you celebrating this evening!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    What is making my back sore? I'm on week 3 and I have a lower soreness. I wouldn't call it pain necessarily. More like DOMS I suppose. Is it the Cuban snatch move? Or deadlifts? Or underhand lat pulldown? (I did workout B yesterday) Just curious which of stage 2 exercises, workout B hit that lower-mid back...?
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What is making my back sore? I'm on week 3 and I have a lower soreness. I wouldn't call it pain necessarily. More like DOMS I suppose. Is it the Cuban snatch move? Or deadlifts? Or underhand lat pulldown? (I did workout B yesterday) Just curious which of stage 2 exercises, workout B hit that lower-mid back...?

When I raised my fspp weight a bit too much I felt myself pushing through my lower back. Or maybe if you have too high a weight on the static lunge without good core strength? Or bad technique on the twisting one which I can,t remember the name of cos I don,t do it :)
  • livlovra
    Options
    Last stage 2 work out tomorrow! I can not wait to get on to the next stage. I'll post my stats tomorrow.

Also going to do 3x this week again. I really like going 3 times but not sure I can keep it up.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Just did my first stage 2 workout - I lowered my weight for the FSPP and didn't find it too bad, I'll increase next time. However, the dumbbell one point row - where you're on one foot making a T, that one was awful for me, I can't balance at all, I could only do like two reps before I'd fall sideways, is that normal?
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Just did my first stage 2 workout - I lowered my weight for the FSPP and didn't find it too bad, I'll increase next time. However, the dumbbell one point row - where you're on one foot making a T, that one was awful for me, I can't balance at all, I could only do like two reps before I'd fall sideways, is that normal?

Yeah it's tough to find the balance point with the weights, you need to drop the weight a little to get your stability, then build from there. That's what worked for me me anyhow.
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Last stage 2 work out tomorrow! I can not wait to get on to the next stage. I'll post my stats tomorrow.

Also going to do 3x this week again. I really like going 3 times but not sure I can keep it up.

I'm half way through and seem to have gone the other way, from 3 to 2 per week - which is annoying as I'd like to be done with this stage. Must try harder!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

The wide grip deadlifts from the box. Totally different distribution. I am sore doing those too!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Okay, finished stage 2 today, and man my arms are jello!!!

> 100lbs (lost form after this)
    FSSP 45lb
    > 60lbs Once I got the hang of the form, I could do more!

One-leg row things 20lb DB
    > 25 lb DB (losing balance!)

Split Squats: 15lb DB
    > 25lb DB
    Underhand Lat Pulldown(altered for home, no cable): 30lbs
    > 45lbs

Reverse Lunge with Reach: 6" step 15lb db
    > 25lb DB
    Prone Cuban Snatch (altered for home): 15lb
    > 25lb DB

> 25lb ball 20 reps
    > with side crunch thing

Cobra: 60s
    > 90
    Plank 90s

Push-ups 12
    > 20
  • livlovra
    Options
    End of Stage 2!

A
    FSPP 45lbs - 45lbs (I didn't manage to progress at all with this and ended up doing squats and an over head press. Finished Squatting 133lbs / 60kg)
    Step up - 35lbs step with 1 riser - 35lbs step with 2 risers
    DB 1PR 16lbs / 7.5kg - 33lbs/15kg
    S Lunge RFE 35lbs step with 1 riser - 35lbs step with 3 risers
    Push up feet raised on step with 1 riser - feet raised on step with 2 risers
    Plank 60s with breaks - 60s straight through
    Cable HWC no.3 - no.6 (doesn't equate to kg or lbs so not sure what weight that is but managed to increase each time)

B
    Wide D/L from box 89lbs/40kg - 133lbs/60kg
    B S/Squat 11lbs/5kg - 33lbs/15kg (I was able to use 25kg power bag on my shoulders but as i wasn't using my arms I thought this was like cheating!)
    u/h Lat pulldown 69lbs/31.5kg - 102lbs/46.5kg
    Rear lunge with reach 11lbs/5kg - 22lbs/10kg
    D/B prone c/snatch 5lbs/2.5kg - 16lbs/7.5kg
    all the crunches etc 10 - 20
    prone cobra 55s - 65s

ok looking at this I don't feel like I achieved much during this stage. Still I think I maintained what I had gained during stage 1 - at least not slipped back at all.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think this stage is short enough that you might not see huge increases like we all have in stage 1, and I think the exercises don't all lend themselves to heavy weights. I ended Stage 1 doing 110 deadlifts and 80 squats, but I'm way down on the wide grips and the FSPP. Increasing slowly but surely!

Today, my 3rd A and I'm feeling them! I really do not do well on the DB 1PR - my balance sux, and my ankles are very wobbly - they are seriously my weakest point. I'm going to use braces next workout and see if that helps. I could easily lift more weight if I could stay up on 1 foot long enough to actually do the full # of repeats.

My big accomplishment today was doing full 60sec planks on both sets! I have been able to do 60 on the first but never the 2nd until today!

And I've increased risers and weights on all the others. Saturday I'm shooting for 45 on the FSPP. I can squat the 45 easily it's the overhead press that is my wekaness. We'll see what happens!

Rock it ladies!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That's true that this is a shorter stage than stage 1 so we're not going to see as much progress right? I'm glad I"m not the only one who sucks at the dumbell row balance thing...I end up putting my toe on the riser a lot just to keep my balance:)

I'm on 4A tomorrow...
  • livlovra
    Options
    Okay, finished stage 2 today, and man my arms are jello!!!

> 100lbs (lost form after this)
    FSSP 45lb
    > 60lbs Once I got the hang of the form, I could do more!

One-leg row things 20lb DB
    > 25 lb DB (losing balance!)

Split Squats: 15lb DB
    > 25lb DB
    Underhand Lat Pulldown(altered for home, no cable): 30lbs
    > 45lbs

Reverse Lunge with Reach: 6" step 15lb db
    > 25lb DB
    Prone Cuban Snatch (altered for home): 15lb
    > 25lb DB

> 25lb ball 20 reps
    > with side crunch thing

Cobra: 60s
    > 90
    Plank 90s

Push-ups 12
    > 20

Hey April dis 3A1 today - wow that's a killer. Are you starting it today too? I didn't bother with a break this time, just wanted to get straight on with stage 3.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Done with Stage 2 - I can't believe I'm actually working my way though this programme!

FSPP: 15kg (falling over) to 20kg
    Step up (5 risers): 12kg to 14kg
    DB 1 pt row: 7kg to 14kg!
    Static lunge: 10kg to 14kg
    Push up: struggling to do 10 badly to managing 10 reasonable form
    Plank: 30 secs to 45 secs
    Didn,t do the wood chop thing.....

DL from box: 40kg to 45kg that i the highest weight barbell my gym has (
    Bulgarian SS: 4 risers 20kg to 24kg
    UH Lat pulldown: 35kg to 40kg
    Rvs lunge from box: 6kg to 10kg
    DB cuban snatch: 6kg to 7kg
    Crunch (not swiss ball): 10 hands on chest to 10 with 2kg weight at ears
    Rv crunch: 10 barely lifting off floor to 10 high
    Lateral flexion: 10 just legs to 10 both
    Cobra: 60 secs to 60 secs
    HIIT treadmill: 7/9.5 to 8/ 10.5

Having Friday off and starting Stage 3 on Monday - should be finished in time for xmas!
  • livlovra
    Options
    Brilliant work MrsAgl!

3B1 done this morning - not nearly as hard as 3A1 which I found a total killer. I am just doing intervals during my normal run to the horse so much harder to track progress, but did do gym, run then ride for an hour so think I am packing in the cardio - oh and an hour of raking the leaves!