Stage 2

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :flowerforyou:

I did stage 2 WOA this morning. I am so clumsy lol. Balancing on one leg is not my strong point. Also the front squats are awkward for me. I had a wrist injury years ago from bench pressing. I used to do wrist curls daily to try to build it back up, and I think I'm going to have to do that again because I could feel it wanting to give out on me. Did you guys manage to do the little jump you're supposed to do when doing the press? I squatted then just did an overhead press, instead of one fluid movement. I was falling forward a little bit just with that. I'm afraid if I try to do it faster I will fall forward.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :flowerforyou:

I did stage 2 WOA this morning. I am so clumsy lol. Balancing on one leg is not my strong point. Also the front squats are awkward for me. I had a wrist injury years ago from bench pressing. I used to do wrist curls daily to try to build it back up, and I think I'm going to have to do that again because I could feel it wanting to give out on me. Did you guys manage to do the little jump you're supposed to do when doing the press? I squatted then just did an overhead press, instead of one fluid movement. I was falling forward a little bit just with that. I'm afraid if I try to do it faster I will fall forward.

I was able to do the squat and up with one movement, but afterward, one of my wrists was all messed up, really, really swollen and painful. I didnt' do the up on toes part....

So far, I don't like stage 2.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    @glwerth-
    I feel like if I jump, I'm just going to fall forward, which would end badly. So I think I'll stick with two separate movements. There seems to be a big focus on balance in this stage. I actually liked A more than I thought I would. I've been really contemplating switching to stronglifts, but I'm wondering now if I need to stick with this to work on my balance. I should be able to stand on one foot without falling over lol
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I did S2B last night. Did a warm up set of deadlifts from the box, then decided to just move the box and do regular deadlifts. It was too awkward trying to get the weight up from that box. I broke down and used straps the gym keeps around, so I could push my DLs more. Using them let me go from 145lbs to 185lbs, which made me realize I need to buy a pair! The trainer at my gym told me if I get there early on Monday, not only will he show me how to use the Versa Grips, but he would work out with me - which means I'll get a killer workout!!!! So looking forward to Monday at 7am now! (and I hate mornings LOL)

I am also using low weights on the cuban snatch. It's working smaller muscles, so you need to use less weight. I did my first set with 5lb, and my 2nd set with 10lbs. I think I need 7.5lbs.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    I did S2B last night. Did a warm up set of deadlifts from the box, then decided to just move the box and do regular deadlifts. It was too awkward trying to get the weight up from that box. I broke down and used straps the gym keeps around, so I could push my DLs more. Using them let me go from 145lbs to 185lbs, which made me realize I need to buy a pair! The trainer at my gym told me if I get there early on Monday, not only will he show me how to use the Versa Grips, but he would work out with me - which means I'll get a killer workout!!!! So looking forward to Monday at 7am now! (and I hate mornings LOL)

I am also using low weights on the cuban snatch. It's working smaller muscles, so you need to use less weight. I did my first set with 5lb, and my 2nd set with 10lbs. I think I need 7.5lbs.

I did regular deadlifts as well. It seemed way to awkward. I have back problems, so I didn't want to run the risk of hurting it.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else who is about to start stage two???
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else who is about to start stage two???

I'm starting on Monday, I believe. I will do my last working in Stage 1 tomorrow or Saturday. After reading the posts on this page, I'm pretty nervous!! I think I will practice the moves at home with light dumbbells before doing it for real at the gym. The thing I am excited about is that I have already been doing the overhead press as an extra bonus. I'm pushing 50# now, struggling to get out a set of 8. Will likely lower to 40# when I start, but at least I have that one move down (but....have to add in the front squat!! eekk).
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm on Stage 3 now, when I did Stage 2, felt pretty much like all of you. I am not in love with Stage 2 at all, and really didn't feel like I got a whole lot from it. Like many of you, I'd felt really strong coming out of Stage 1 and then ended up dropping down in so many of the Stage 2 exercises. Well, don't look now, but Stage 4 is pretty much a repeat of Stage 2. That said, Stage 3 is AWESOME despite the body weight matrix, and as I am in the last 2 workouts of Stage 3, I'm feeling much more encouraged about Stage 4, despite not wanting to move to it. I feel like I've made great strides, not just in weight but more especially in form and experience. Something for you to look forward to!
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    I will be starting Stage 3 next week. I agree....Stage 2 really challenges your balance. I still wobble!

My question: Do any of you do NROL4W at a gym? I have been doing mine here at home but recently got a free full membership to Axiom through my medical insurance. Today was my first time to do the NROL4W at the gym. So I had my clip board, pen, exercise pages. I see that I was the only one in the gym doing this. What do you do?
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I will be starting Stage 3 next week. I agree....Stage 2 really challenges your balance. I still wobble!

My question: Do any of you do NROL4W at a gym? I have been doing mine here at home but recently got a free full membership to Axiom through my medical insurance. Today was my first time to do the NROL4W at the gym. So I had my clip board, pen, exercise pages. I see that I was the only one in the gym doing this. What do you do?

I do my workouts at home. If I did go the gym I wouldn't worry about everyone else. You're there doing a specific program and if you need a clip board to keep track then so be it. If you still feel weird try to find an app and take your phone instead
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I always bring my log and fill it in. You just haven't seen anyone yet, but there are plenty of people who workout and record their progress. You should always log your workouts and for me it's better to write it down right then.
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    Thank you mommyred35 and suelegal for your replies to my question. I know I would not remember how much I lifted or how much I had lifted previously if I did not log and have my log with me. So thanks for reiterating that for me!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    nana6799 - I do NROL4W at the gym and I always have my workout log and a pen with me. There are a few other people in my gym (all guys) who log their lifts. I think it is the best way to track progress. For all the ridiculous looking things I do in the gym (I've never seen anyone else rock a Bulgarian Split Squat) no one pays me one bit of attention, and I am the only girl (and I am small - 5'1") using the free weights. so don't worry about anyone else!

I am FINALLY finishing Stage 2 tmw! After 2 bouts of different illnesses and the holidays this 4 week stage has taken about 2 months!! So, I didn't make too much weight progress with it, but at least I am seeing it through!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

I do mine at the gym, & I see several others with either a notebook or a sheet on a clipboard during their workouts. Mostly guys. When I see them, I think "that person is serious about their training...awesome." Definitely not something to be self-conscious about! And keep in mind that many people probably use their smartphone to track it, I've done that before too.

emgel9 I went through something similar with Stage 1, towards the end there was a death in the family so it took me longer to finish than I planned. But it's done!
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    so I am NOT enjoying stage two at.all.

The split squat is awkward. the rest I just feel weird at. probably because it is all still new. I also hate that I am finding my weak spots. The dumbbell prone Cuban snatch I had to do with five pounders. and even that was awkward. not too much weight but just awkward on the bench I was using to support me and all.

Hoping to get used to it all and feeling better with it before it is over because this stage does not last long does it?!
    I know it's rough to find your weak spots, but I assure you that is exactly the point of the different stages. Stage 1 gets you familiar with some basic compound exercises, now in Stage 2 you do some different ones that are variations of familiar ones to challenge different muscles. Trust the process!

I too had to drop the weight significantly for the front squat & am only using 10 lb dbs for the snatch, but I definitely want to strengthen & shape my shoulders & I can tell these exercises will do the job. Don't worry, the exercises won't feel as strange or awkward after you've had some practice doing them. Hang in there!!
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    I've only got one more repeat of the A & B workouts then I'm on to Stage 3 starting Saturday! How's everyone else doing?
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Is no one doing Stage 2 right now?

I'm closing in, only one regular workout left of both A and B and then the AMRAPs. After that, I'm done with stage 1! Can't believe it. Anyways, is someone doing it now or starting soon?
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    I just finished it, started Stage 3 last weekend. I didn't bother with the AMRAPs & just jumped into Stage 2 because I was tired of doing those workouts, lol. How has Stage 1 been going??
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just started Stage 2! (One A done, first B today. I've got all my photocopies from the book at the ready!)

I think since there are only 4 workouts each in this Stage, it's not as long a thread as some of the others.

My goal this week with starting Stage 2 is just to figure out the moves (and mapping out my progress around the gym, where different equipment is, etc.) So I've strategically gone for lower weights. Next week I plan to really push more on increasing weight significantly.

Would love to hear how others are doing in this Stage!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    I just finished it, started Stage 3 last weekend. I didn't bother with the AMRAPs & just jumped into Stage 2 because I was tired of doing those workouts, lol. How has Stage 1 been going??

It's been going great. I am very happy with it and I have been seeing steady progress. I am now past my personal best EVER in all the exercises. I got to that point after A and B, workout 6. It just feels great. So I love to compete with myself right now. I had been seeing little to no progress previously for a few months so I am so ready to rock on ;) I did my 8th A workout today, but I think I will add another one before the AMRAPS, because I was at a different gym than usual and none of the weights had any numbers on them so I had no idea what I was doing on most of the exercises. It just sucked. For sure, I won't be visiting that gym again any time soon. But I am looking forward to exercising at my regular gym again and to then go on to stage 2 :)