Phase 1

Options

Replies

• stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the walking lunges; there's not enough room at the gym for that. However, I did regular lunges with dumbells and just stepped in and out of them. It's going to be essentially the same effect as far as muscles it works. Oh, and I LOATHE lunges. And squats. My legs don't hurt today, though. It took 4 days for the soreness to work itself out, which means I got a heck of a workout, so I'm okay with being sore. Yesterday I did chest flies (flys?) and tricep extensions and whatever else was on that particular day's list of workout and I'm sore today -- but yesterday, I had hardly any strength in those parts. When I was trying to drive home from the gym, I had a hard time with the steering wheel -- not because I hurt myself, but because my muscles were so fatigued.

I gotta say, even though I'm sore as heck most of the time, I'm liking this so far. I like being challenged like this and I'm doing something to make myself stronger. Now, I still can't do a pushup to save my life and I'm not lifting as heavy as others (Depending on the workout, the highest I've gone is 80 (leg press) and go down from there the more fatigued I get just to make sure I have good form) but I'll get there. Everyone has to start somewhere.
  • FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    I started this past Saturday (2/25) and very excited about the program. Had to break up my days though since I have previous classes that I've paid and signed up for (yoga). So basically have been doing Day 1, next day yoga, Day 2 next day, etc. It seems to be working out for me this way (so far).

Started Clean Eating 2 weeks ago and already seeing a MAJOR difference in my skin, clothes are looser, feeling an extra pep in my skip.

Glad to be a part of this group!

Melissa

Hey Melissa,
    That's awesome you are seeing results already! Did you take before photos?
    I think I'm noticing my clothes fit better too, I can't wait to measure myself in a couple of weeks at the end of phase one. I will say, for me personally, I lost 2 lbs total since doing it (on week 3 now). But I also gained it back. I do look a lot more toned though, so hopefully it's all muscle.
    PS we are glad to have you as part of the group!:flowerforyou:
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I didn't do the walking lunges; there's not enough room at the gym for that. However, I did regular lunges with dumbells and just stepped in and out of them. It's going to be essentially the same effect as far as muscles it works. Oh, and I LOATHE lunges. And squats. My legs don't hurt today, though. It took 4 days for the soreness to work itself out, which means I got a heck of a workout, so I'm okay with being sore. Yesterday I did chest flies (flys?) and tricep extensions and whatever else was on that particular day's list of workout and I'm sore today -- but yesterday, I had hardly any strength in those parts. When I was trying to drive home from the gym, I had a hard time with the steering wheel -- not because I hurt myself, but because my muscles were so fatigued.

I gotta say, even though I'm sore as heck most of the time, I'm liking this so far. I like being challenged like this and I'm doing something to make myself stronger. Now, I still can't do a pushup to save my life and I'm not lifting as heavy as others (Depending on the workout, the highest I've gone is 80 (leg press) and go down from there the more fatigued I get just to make sure I have good form) but I'll get there. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Oh... I didn't do the walking lunges either, I just go down and come back up, but that is still killer!
    Yea, I'm doing day 2 of week 3 tonight. I'm not surprised you were shaky on the way home. I was too!! I love that though. I do bring a little protein drink with me though, they say to try and drink/eat the protein within 20 minutes of the end of your workout, so when I'm done working out and I'm shaky, I go drink my shake :wink:
    Yes, 80 is actually good for the leg presses too though. I seem to lift 80 for most of my things like the leg curls etc. (That's at 80% for me), it's hard! I'm loving this too though, week 3 is the hardest and the most fun so far! We are all going to look.feel so good after.
    Since you are just 1-2 days ahead of me now, please keep me posted as much as possible. :tongue:
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options

I gotta say, even though I'm sore as heck most of the time, I'm liking this so far. I like being challenged like this and I'm doing something to make myself stronger. Now, I still can't do a pushup to save my life and I'm not lifting as heavy as others (Depending on the workout, the highest I've gone is 80 (leg press) and go down from there the more fatigued I get just to make sure I have good
    form) but I'll get there. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Good for you! Don't worry about what or how much you are lifting...the fact that you are doing it is enough! I haven't done the walking lunges yet but I've done them before and they have always been a killer!

Keep up the great work!
  • debwaid
    Options
    I started this past Saturday (2/25) and very excited about the program. Had to break up my days though since I have previous classes that I've paid and signed up for (yoga). So basically have been doing Day 1, next day yoga, Day 2 next day, etc. It seems to be working out for me this way (so far).

Started Clean Eating 2 weeks ago and already seeing a MAJOR difference in my skin, clothes are looser, feeling an extra pep in my skip.

Glad to be a part of this group!

Melissa

Hey Melissa,
    That's awesome you are seeing results already! Did you take before photos?
    I think I'm noticing my clothes fit better too, I can't wait to measure myself in a couple of weeks at the end of phase one. I will say, for me personally, I lost 2 lbs total since doing it (on week 3 now). But I also gained it back. I do look a lot more toned though, so hopefully it's all muscle.
    PS we are glad to have you as part of the group!:flowerforyou:

Great to hear how this is paying off for you already! I too, am excited about how I feel already! Stronger for one! Keep it up ladies!
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am finishing up week 1. I had planned on doing days 3 and 4 together because I wanted a rest day before I started week 2. Unfortunately, by the time I got finished with the leg program my legs were shakey so I decided to wait and go tomorrow to do shoulders and abs. I want to give each workout my very best. Food is a huge challenge for me. I'm just having trouble getting it in. I'm a teacher and I am bsy from the time I walk in the door of the school until 4 pm. I do take a short lunch, but that's just not enough. I need to find ways to get my meals in throughout the day. I may have to take in more shakes to get it done. I'd rather have real food, but hey you gotta do what you've gotta do, right?
  • debwaid
    Options
    Hey! I am finishing up week 1. I had planned on doing days 3 and 4 together because I wanted a rest day before I started week 2. Unfortunately, by the time I got finished with the leg program my legs were shakey so I decided to wait and go tomorrow to do shoulders and abs. I want to give each workout my very best. Food is a huge challenge for me. I'm just having trouble getting it in. I'm a teacher and I am bsy from the time I walk in the door of the school until 4 pm. I do take a short lunch, but that's just not enough. I need to find ways to get my meals in throughout the day. I may have to take in more shakes to get it done. I'd rather have real food, but hey you gotta do what you've gotta do, right?
    I don't know if you have tried any of Jamie's protein bars but they would be an easy way to get in more good food! Just make them ahead of time and take a small cooler with you. While your kids are busy, just have a quick, healthy snack right there at your desk! The shakes would be a great idea too! I made up 3 batches before I left on my long weekend trip back home, so I had some healthy choices while driving! Good luck!!
  • sumnerfan
    Options
    I haven't made any of the protein bars yet. I was going to make the cinnamon bread but I didn't have the right sweetener. I'll look at the recipes again.
  • debwaid
    Options
    I haven't made any of the protein bars yet. I was going to make the cinnamon bread but I didn't have the right sweetener. I'll look at the recipes again.
    I haven't made that one yet! I've made the Lemon, Pumpkin, Chocolate and Carrot Cake ones. So far, the carrot cakes are my favorite!!
  • sumnerfan
    Options
    I'm definitely going to make some today. My butt and thighs are letting me know they are not used to getting that kind of workout. I can't wait for the soreness to turn into beautiful muscle. :)
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    How is everyone doing??

I just finished week 3's exercises, woooo!!!
    I will start week 4 in a couple of days.

Week 3 kicks your butt for those of you who haven't done it yet but it feels so good. I'm definitely losing inches and toning up, although I don't think the scale has gone down at all. She said to expect that though since we are building muscle. Also, I can't believe how much I've sweated this week during workouts (Dripping sweat), lol....yucky.

With week 4, I think the only difference is adding 30 minutes of cardio to week 3 workouts. I've actually been holding out as directed on the cardio so I'm excited about starting the cardio again, especially because I think the weight will really start to come off within the next couple of weeks I'm betting. And I'll keep you guys posted on that.

Exercise- something that is introduced the very last day of week 3 is the "Roman Chair Leg Raise".:sick: Let me know what you guys think of that...haha. It was hard for me!!
  • debwaid
    Options
    How is everyone doing??

I just finished week 3's exercises, woooo!!!
    I will start week 4 in a couple of days.

Week 3 kicks your butt for those of you who haven't done it yet but it feels so good. I'm definitely losing inches and toning up, although I don't think the scale has gone down at all. She said to expect that though since we are building muscle. Also, I can't believe how much I've sweated this week during workouts (Dripping sweat), lol....yucky.

With week 4, I think the only difference is adding 30 minutes of cardio to week 3 workouts. I've actually been holding out as directed on the cardio so I'm excited about starting the cardio again, especially because I think the weight will really start to come off within the next couple of weeks I'm betting. And I'll keep you guys posted on that.

Exercise- something that is introduced the very last day of week 3 is the "Roman Chair Leg Raise".:sick: Let me know what you guys think of that...haha. It was hard for me!!
    Good for you! Because of my pulled muscle, I decided to redo Week 2 but I have looked ahead to Week 3 now and I am very excited about starting it next week! I do remember Roman Chair's!!! Wow....kinda anxious to see how I will fare doing that one now! LOL Good to hear that you are seeing results!

I did lose 1 pound on Monday's weigh in and that being from March 1. To top that off, it was over my long weekend visiting family and friends back home and that means diet was not perfect!! I did hit the treadmill a couple of times for a fast, brisk walk though!

Good luck ladies and keep up your hard work.....it will pay off!!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm actually repeating week three because I had a, uh, motivation/consistency problem last week. I missed a couple of days (i did three out of the five) but want to do it RIGHT. So, I'm back on track now. :) I'm just having a hard time motivating myself to get out of bed early to get my lifting done and out of the way because I know myself -- I'll have a million and one excuses why I won't go to the gym after work. :\
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Im only on day 6 and I feel LAZY! Before I started this I was burning ~700 cals a day....itching to go to the gym, but trying not to. PS- beware if you make the cinnamon swirl protein bread, its ADDICTING!

~Allyson :flowerforyou:
  • debwaid
    Options
    Hey everyone. Im only on day 6 and I feel LAZY! Before I started this I was burning ~700 cals a day....itching to go to the gym, but trying not to. PS- beware if you make the cinnamon swirl protein bread, its ADDICTING!

You're the first person that I've seen who like it! Now, I got to make it!!!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I'm actually repeating week three because I had a, uh, motivation/consistency problem last week. I missed a couple of days (i did three out of the five) but want to do it RIGHT. So, I'm back on track now. :) I'm just having a hard time motivating myself to get out of bed early to get my lifting done and out of the way because I know myself -- I'll have a million and one excuses why I won't go to the gym after work. :\

No big deal, just repeat it. I took everyone's advise to repeat week 3 as well and I'm so glad I did, I got so much more out of it this time around. It's good you are getting it out of the way before work too, I wish I could do that. I'm actually going really late at night most nights but better late than never I suppose.... Just keep up the good work, you are doing good. Also, if you are feeling a lack of motivation on a certain week, feel free to post every day/ each work out. I find that helps motivate me.:wink:
  • FlTGlRL
    Options

Haha...Now I want to try the cinnamon swirl too.
    I still have not tried any of her recipes. Geez...I really need to bring my butt to the store and at least try one of her recipes this weekend.

700 calories a day, wow! That's good but I'm guessing you want to build some muscle/tone up now too? Were you doing a lot of cardio before? Anyway, just keep at it girl, you won't be sorry. Start posting more, that will help motivate you too. :flowerforyou:
  • debwaid
    Options

Yes no harm done in repeating! I'm re doing week 2 and I can see an increase in strength by doing that! If I don't go early, I'd never make it at night! FITGIRL kudos to you for making those nights work!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Haha...Now I want to try the cinnamon swirl too.
    I still have not tried any of her recipes. Geez...I really need to bring my butt to the store and at least try one of her recipes this weekend.

700 calories a day, wow! That's good but I'm guessing you want to build some muscle/tone up now too? Were you doing a lot of cardio before? Anyway, just keep at it girl, you won't be sorry. Start posting more, that will help motivate you too. :flowerforyou:

I havent been in the forums in awhile, so it will take getting used to, but I have FINALLY made it to a size 6 and still feel, idk squishy? lol
    I lose weight VERY slowly, and figured I needed something more structured. The calories in/ Calories out thing wasnt working for me. I increased how much I ate thinking I was in starvation mode, but everything just kind of stayed the same.
  • sumnerfan
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one that needs to repeat a week. Looks like I'm going to be repeating week 2. It seems like the week that grades are due is always a complete loss for me. I get up super early in the mornings (like 4am) to work on them, then go and teach all day. By the time I get home (between 4 and 5) I'm wiped out.

Also, I think I need to adjust my expectations on this program. I really liked coming here and logging my meals and exercise and seeing that I was near my calorie goal for the day. It made me feel productive and was a source of pride for me. Now I can log my strength training but I don't get any 'points' for that. I need to realize that not everything is immediately gratifying and that my hard work will pay off in spades later. I just feel out of the loop with my MFP friends, because I don't have much to report.

Thanks for 'listening'. I will try to be more upbeat and positive from here on out. :)