Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Going to popping in here soon. I introduced myself in intros and now am a newbie to the NROL4W! super excited for the program. Talk to you soon
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a tad worried. I've been eating at maintenance for a month now. My pants are just getting tighter and tighter. I think the books recommendation might be a tad high for me. I am going to try to insert a deficit and hope that this solves the issue. I understand the purpose of eating at maintenance, but perhaps my BMR is just lower than expected. OR maybe I am not logging my food correctly. Regardless, my expanding belly tells me I need to eat a little less.

Beeps - I hope you have a GREAT vaca.

Oceanity - why do you regret going for the deficit method first (if you don't mind me asking)?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Going to popping in here soon. I introduced myself in intros and now am a newbie to the NROL4W! super excited for the program. Talk to you soon

Hoosiermomma! Hello again ... that's two threads we share now! How are you doing?
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well that's it for Stage 4. feel like I really gave it my all today. Deadlifts 110 (started at 95) Split squat 35lbs (25), Cuban 10lbs(8). On the A side somewhat less improvement.Highlights: Front squat thing peaked at 55 (45) Step ups 60. Can now do t-pushups with 5lb weight. If I can manage some HIIT tomorrow I will but otherwise might finally take a few days off before the next stage. 120 second planks still a struggles but looks like I'll get another shot at those. Just for fun was able to do 2/3 of a full chinup today so hope I will get there in Stage 6. Keep on lifting heavy ladies. So glad I found this forum/site/book! Slowly increasing calories and I like what it's doing for me :)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    @kcfaber: Fantastic! Great improvements! I just started 4 today, and felt good that I increased all my weights from where I ended on stage 2. I hope to make some significant gains like you have. I understand completely about the planks...those make me quiver like nothing else! Great work!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I figured this would also be a good thread to sticky! It's wonderful to see all you lovely ladies!! This is my favorite board!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Pretty new here, and loved reading through this thread! So much valuable info, thanks to everyone for sharing!

I had a rough February. I ran a half-marathon in January, and right after, I caught viral pneumonia. That set me back, which was a bummer because the January half was really just a test run for my February half! To make matters worse, I got food poisoning two days before my February race. I finished, made decent time, but I ended up severely dehydrated. And then I caught a nasty cold, which we passed around the whole family.

So I got the book this month since my running season is over and I want to focus on strength training for an endurance event in June. I haven't started yet. I'm trying to figure out if I should just jump in or try to find a buddy to workout with because that has always helped in the past. If I just jump in, do any of you think it would be weird if a friend joined later?
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i just want to say hi to everyone :D
    i introduced in the intro thread, but have been following the chat and started finished my stage 1 week 2 workout today. having done a series of ab classes through the summer, fall and winter, i must say that the exercise ball crunches are pretty easy. i'm curious how to add a weight plate or medicine ball to make them more challenging. i tried holding it straight up, but it didn't feel like i was working any harder.
    i deadlifted a 50lb barbell, which was pretty cool. should i feel that in my lower back a little? i'm making sure to arch slightly, and it's definitely working my hamstrings and glutes. almost feels squat-like.

somehow i got weaker on my shoulder presses. i'll attribute that to TOM.

anyway, hi chat lifters. i'm really happy to be part of this group.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi, Wendy!

I hold a dumbbell @ my forehead for the crunches...up 25# now, I think. Careful of neck strain with this, though. Maybe a lighter dumbbell, with arms fully extended overhead?

The deadlift should feel very much like a squat. It IS NOT a back exercise. Have someone watch your form to make sure you aren't rounding your back. I only feel mine in my back when I pop my hips forward at the top, to get maximum glute action. Is that when you feel it?

I've noticed my progress hasn't been linear...I'm up and down with my numbers on certain moves, but as long as the total trend is going up, I don't stress it.

@Barefoot: Jump on in, I say. You can mentor, if you find a friend to join later. Oh, and Welcome!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The deadlift should feel very much like a squat. It IS NOT a back exercise. Have someone watch your form to make sure you aren't rounding your back. I only feel mine in my back when I pop my hips forward at the top, to get maximum glute action. Is that when you feel it?

Oh Jarrettd I'm confused now, everything i've read / watched tells me the DL IS a back exercise. (eg: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/clean-style-deadlift-technique.html, and the NR book). I know it does the glutes/hammys like the squats, but also the upper/lower back, in fact most of the body, or am I doing it wrong? Well done on your gains, hope i'm still doing that well when i get to stage 4. I'm just finishing stage 1!!
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey girls, just getting started. Here's what I posted in the intro thread and maybe you can all ease some of my fears :)

"Hey there, mind if I join? I just finished reading the book and I have an appt to meet with a trainer in the morning just to go through all the exercises in stage 1 so I can make sure I know where to go and how to do it when I start by myself on Monday.
    I think what scares me the most is the fact that I am going to need to eat so much more than I currently do. Right now on MFP I am at 1200 calories per day plus I am eating my exercise calories back. I have lost a little over 30lbs in past 5 months and while I am pretty happy with where I'm at and not really looking to lose any more (of course a few more lbs off wouldn't hurt ) , I am most concerned about not gaining it back.

The book makes so much sense but my mind has always been programmed the opposite way. Please tell me it's gonna be ok!! :)

I look forward to getting to know you all and please feel free to friend me, I would love some support from other NR women!! "

Also, another concern I have is ditchng my now weekly routine..
    Monday - Cardio for about an hour on the eliptical doing intervals
    Tuesday- Same but adding alot of core using the ball
    Wed- Kettlebell class which I LOVE!
    Thursday- Cardio again, same as Monday
    Friday- Basic training class ( again, LOVE this class!)
    Sat - Usually take a day off
    Sunday- Yoga

I would be fine with dropping everything except my Wed and Fri classes if I have to, so how do I work these in?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

Oh Jarrettd I'm confused now, everything i've read / watched tells me the DL IS a back exercise. (eg: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/clean-style-deadlift-technique.html, and the NR book). I know it does the glutes/hammys like the squats, but also the upper/lower back, in fact most of the body, or am I doing it wrong? Well done on your gains, hope i'm still doing that well when i get to stage 4. I'm just finishing stage 1!!

It is a compound exercise, you are recruiting upper body and back muscles but this should primarily hit your lower half. Some soreness in your back/ arms may be normal but if you are feeling the after-workout soreness primarily in your lower back (as opposed to your glutes/legs) your form may be off. You may be rounding your back or trying to lift the bar too far out away from your body. Eyes should be straight ahead, back straight, drive up with your legs/glutes keeping tension in your upper body. You're using your upper body to hold the weight but your lower body should be driving it.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It is a compound exercise, you are recruiting upper body and back muscles but this should primarily hit your lower half. Some soreness in your back/ arms may be normal but if you are feeling the after-workout soreness primarily in your lower back (as opposed to your glutes/legs) your form may be off. You may be rounding your back or trying to lift the bar too far out away from your body. Eyes should be straight ahead, back straight, drive up with your legs/glutes keeping tension in your upper body. You're using your upper body to hold the weight but your lower body should be driving it.

Oh that's cool then, that's what i'm doing.

Phew!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Bump

Hoosiermomma! Hello again ... that's two threads we share now! How are you doing?

Yes, here I am again! Thought I would use the daily chat to hear the latest on NROL4W. My big question, which I realize might be back somewhere in these pages, is about Calorie intake. Have most of you been able to up intake without noticeable growth in the undesirable areas? (stomach, butt etc) I am upping my daily intake from 1500+ cals to 1700+ and 2000 on weight work days. Previous to this it seems I had to stay very close to 1500 and 4-5 workouts a week to maintain or lose a bit..

Stats:
    I am 5"5" and 135+ or - a few
    50 years
    Have lost 26 pounds up to this point
    Would like to lose just a few more but not making this my main goal
    Am using protein powder to try to reach over 100 grams of protein a day. just not easy for me!

Thanks for any help. Love to read up on all of your experiences!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Yes, here I am again! Thought I would use the daily chat to hear the latest on NROL4W. My big question, which I realize might be back somewhere in these pages, is about Calorie intake. Have most of you been able to up intake without noticeable growth in the undesirable areas? (stomach, butt etc) I am upping my daily intake from 1500+ cals to 1700+ and 2000 on weight work days. Previous to this it seems I had to stay very close to 1500 and 4-5 workouts a week to maintain or lose a bit..

Stats:
    I am 5"5" and 135+ or - a few
    50 years
    Have lost 26 pounds up to this point
    Would like to lose just a few more but not making this my main goal
    Am using protein powder to try to reach over 100 grams of protein a day. just not easy for me!

Thanks for any help. Love to read up on all of your experiences!

I was trotting along on maintenance for a while on 1650 per day. Since starting NROL4W, I've increased it by 200 / 300 (typically), but I have noticed my weight has increased a little. I can actually see the increase - my boobs are a bit bigger for a start, and my ribs are no longer so visible. I'm trying not to panic as I know you have to gain a bit of weight for the muscle - I'm just trying not to gain too much. Some of it might be water, anyway. I am eating absolutely tons of protein on a vegetarian diet. I'm just about making 30% every day now, and when I've eaten my exercise calories, that can amount to an awful lot of protein - I think I got to 190g the other night!

Stats:
    5' 4"
    114lbs (but very small frame)
    Age 53
    Have lost ... can't remember; probably about 25lbs?
    Don't want to lose more, but would like to convert to muscle (I am 'skinny fat' or is it the other way round - 'fat skinny'??)

Edited to add: I don't get too hungry on lifting day, but the following day I am ravenous, no matter how much extra I've eaten the day before. I reckon that because I lift in the evenings, I should eat the extra on thast second day, as that's what my body seems to want.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I was trotting along on maintenance for a while on 1650 per day. Since starting NROL4W, I've increased it by 200 / 300 (typically), but I have noticed my weight has increased a little. I can actually see the increase - my boobs are a bit bigger for a start, and my ribs are no longer so visible. I'm trying not to panic as I know you have to gain a bit of weight for the muscle - I'm just trying not to gain too much. Some of it might be water, anyway. I am eating absolutely tons of protein on a vegetarian diet. I'm just about making 30% every day now, and when I've eaten my exercise calories, that can amount to an awful lot of protein - I think I got to 190g the other night!

Stats:
    5' 4"
    Age 53
    Don't want to lose more, but would like to convert to muscle (I am 'skinny fat' or is it the other way round - 'fat skinny'??)

Edited to add: I don't get too hungry on lifting day, but the following day I am ravenous, no matter how much extra I've eaten the day before. I reckon that because I lift in the evenings, I should eat the extra on thast second day, as that's what my body seems to want.
    Hey ladies, I don't check in here much. I'm fairly active in another group. I just wanted to comment on the weight gain stuff. During stage 1, my weight went up 5lbs or so, up then down. Pretty much, all of it shed off during the rest week. I too noticed a measurable and visual "bloating" I thought I was getting fat at first, but I tried to stay calm and stuck with it. It did end up being water weight. I could literally measure a 1" difference in my tummy, calves, and thighs. I don't want to tell you to eat too much, but just let you know that my weight and bloat did relax out once my muscle rested.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi, Wendy!

I hold a dumbbell @ my forehead for the crunches...up 25# now, I think. Careful of neck strain with this, though. Maybe a lighter dumbbell, with arms fully extended overhead?

I've noticed my progress hasn't been linear...I'm up and down with my numbers on certain moves, but as long as the total trend is going up, I don't stress it.

@Barefoot: Jump on in, I say. You can mentor, if you find a friend to join later. Oh, and Welcome!

thanks! forehead! right!!! ::forehead smack:: i'll go over form next week, for sure. i don't want an injury. :)
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

Stats:
    5' 4"
    Age 53

Hey ladies, I don't check in here much. I'm fairly active in another group. I just wanted to comment on the weight gain stuff. During stage 1, my weight went up 5lbs or so, up then down. Pretty much, all of it shed off during the rest week. I too noticed a measurable and visual "bloating" I thought I was getting fat at first, but I tried to stay calm and stuck with it. It did end up being water weight. I could literally measure a 1" difference in my tummy, calves, and thighs. I don't want to tell you to eat too much, but just let you know that my weight and bloat did relax out once my muscle rested.

Thanks Armaretta, that's very reassuring indeed! :smile:
  • barefoot76
    Options
    Went to the gym today and OMG MY BUTT IS ALREADY SO SORE!

Actually, it was a great workout. I've been lifting at the gym for about 4 months, I've seen minor changes in muscle tone, but I didn't really know what I was doing, I was just going from machine to machine. Today I was one of those dorks that walks around with a little notebook writing everything down, LOL, it was pretty cool.

I haven't felt sore in a while, this is great!

Miss Maggie, you are tiny! I am 4'9" and I am 107 today, trying to get down to 98. Actually, I'd love to get down to 93, but I'm not sure if that is too small for my medium-sized frame. We'll see how I look/feel at 98. Last time I was at 98, I was also at 19% body fat, so a little high for my taste, but not too bad. I'm a pretty curvy lady naturally.
  • barefoot76
    Options
    Also, Miss Maggie, I want your arms!!!!! :-D