Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    So, I am working out at home and don't have a squat rack. Any suggestions for increasing the intensity of the squat? I can only lift 50 pounds above my head on the barbell to get it on my back --- and have not been able to go over that. But since that is where I am starting with the squats, what can I do to make it harder? Should I be looking at different variations? I have been focusing on just going deeper into it and pausing a bit, but since I am so early, I know there is a lot of room for improvement as I progress through the program.

We've come up with a bunch of options over the last month or 2-
    1 get someone to help you get it on / off your shoulders (husband/large son/ etc)
    2 get a weight bench where you can adjust the supports high enough to get the bar at chest level (I got afairly cheap workout bench to do this, but it feels quite flimsy, don't want to put more that 50kg on it)
    3 BUILD a squat rack (search on here, someone's done it!)
    4 improvise furniture / chairs (but be careful)

Or if someone's feeling generous on your birthday, make the most of it!
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey again! I just did my 2nd workout in stage 1. I feel great! Question for those that were working out like fiends before starting...

I am used to working out 6 days a week and spending at least an hour if not 2 at the gym on any given day. I finished today's workout in about 45 minutes and kind of felt weird just leaving after that so I did a quick cardio on the eliptical just to get myself a little more sweaty and my heart pumping a little more.

Did anyone else feel like this when starting? How did you handle it? Do I just completely surrender myself to the program instead of going with my gut to push myself more?
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That's something I'm wondering about myself. Before I bought NROL4W, I got Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred." Would it be okay to do this on cardio days? Will I slow the benefits of weight training by doing so? I haven't done the JM yet, but I hear it's pretty intense.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hey again! I just did my 2nd workout in stage 1. I feel great! Question for those that were working out like fiends before starting...

I am used to working out 6 days a week and spending at least an hour if not 2 at the gym on any given day. I finished today's workout in about 45 minutes and kind of felt weird just leaving after that so I did a quick cardio on the eliptical just to get myself a little more sweaty and my heart pumping a little more.

Did anyone else feel like this when starting? How did you handle it? Do I just completely surrender myself to the program instead of going with my gut to push myself more?

I love the book, but the workout schedule absolutely didn't work for me. I have to work out every single day, or I will end up just stopping altogether, and I'm a runner at heart, so my workouts have to also coordinate with my running schedule including speed work and increasing mileage. And I also am used to being at the gym for at least 90 minutes, so I needed a longer workout schedule to help me feel fulfilled, like I actually worked out.

So, I am using all of the principles in the book, but I'm not following the exact plan. I hope I'm still allowed to be in the group after admitting that ;-)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the short work outs while you can, because they are short only in stage 1. :) I used to do extra stuff while I was in stage 1 on my lifting days to make the work outs longer too.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Oh, the effing reverse lunges with forward reach in 4B!! Too much going on at one time; trying to get deep into the lunge (without falling over), get into the reach (without falling forward), and keep my back straight...well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but it's got my mid-back mad as hell! I must have rounded on more than one rep, but it didn't hurt at the time. Not until a few hours after.

Live and learn, right?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Oh, the effing reverse lunges with forward reach in 4B!! Too much going on at one time; trying to get deep into the lunge (without falling over), get into the reach (without falling forward), and keep my back straight...well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but it's got my mid-back mad as hell! I must have rounded on more than one rep, but it didn't hurt at the time. Not until a few hours after.

Live and learn, right?

Great new pic! Love it! I hated rev. lunges with forward reach too!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I got my new workout and will be starting in about 5 minutes! My trainer finally came up with a routine for me. It's actually A, B, and C workouts. They are all different with its own emphasis. He calls workout A MxS, which I think means mass x strength. Workout B is hypertrophy. Workout C is called work capacity. It's certainly interesting. Today, workout A, I have to do 4 alternating sets of squats and close grip bench presses - increasing the weight on all sets and doing AMRAP on the 4th set. Then I am alternating 3 sets of romanian deadlifts, dumb bell split jerks(which I had no idea so I had to look it u on Youtube), and cross body hammer curls. Can't wait to get started!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Finally getting back to my workout today. I was supposed to on Friday but did not get up early enough (did not go to BED early enough :noway: ) Have lots to do and a whole day to get it done!! It's going to be a busy week so I want to start it our right! Really want to make this a Normal part of my schedule!! Have a great week everyone! Here is my plan:

Mon: NROL4W
    Tue: Light cardio and stretching
    Wed: Elliptical
    Thur: HIIT Elliptical
    Fri: NROL4W
    Sat: Day off
    Sun: A walk

It's on "paper" so now I'm committed!
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Didn't have enough time to start Stage 5 today so went for a quick run instead. I have taken about 2 mins off my mile pace (11 min miles, now 9 mins miles) since starting this program which I attribute to the effectiveness off the HIIT and all the lunges/squats. In other news I did three full unassisted chin ups today. All I can say is keep track of all your progress and trust in the program. It works!!!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm only on Stage 1 (workout 4), but I'm seeing a difference in overall strength already; I do cardio on a stationary bike on non-lifting days, and after about a year at the same level of resistance, it's now just too easy and I've gone up a level. How good is that?
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I don't post a huge amount but just wanted to say how much I am loving the programme AND this message board. It sometimes feels like the only forum on MFP with normal, sane people on it!:flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't post a huge amount but just wanted to say how much I am loving the programme AND this message board. It sometimes feels like the only forum on MFP with normal, sane people on it!:flowerforyou:

That's because there's no need to be all dramafied over nrol4w . . . we've already bought into the program. I love this place!
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    I love it too! So glad I started the program and joined this group to help me along. Today did 2nd week on Workout A in Stage 1. Got up to 55 lbs on back squat (used a chair and my weight bench to hold it up!) I asked hubby for the squat rack for my birthday, so I think I will be getting it soon! I love how we increase/improve with each workout! Makes me really feel like I am accomplishing something when each workout I hit a new personal goal!
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That's something I'm wondering about myself. Before I bought NROL4W, I got Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred." Would it be okay to do this on cardio days? Will I slow the benefits of weight training by doing so? I haven't done the JM yet, but I hear it's pretty intense.

Anybody?
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    30 day shred: I have it and really enjoy it although have never done it 30 days in a row while still watching my food choices. It is only 25 minutes so that is good. I think the challenge with integrating it into this program is that is does involve light ( I could only do 5lbs) weights and intervals which might interfere with your recovery time. It seems like there are lots of people doing supplemental cardio which I think is doable in the earlier stages but might be hard to maintain in the later stages when the weights are so heavy and the workouts are more intense. In any case, if you are pumped to try it then see how you feel when you're trying to do both and then evaluate if it is sustainable. Hope that helps!
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Uggg. So annoyed. Was supposed to do my 3rd workout in stage 1 today, and I didn't listen to my gut telling me not to take a workout class yesterday. I ended up stressing my knee and now instead of doing my NR workout today I am home icing my knee :(

Now normally tomorrow I would be taking a kettlebell class, but I think I just need to stop feeling guilty about taking a break from these classes and start focusing on NR and what the book says about taking rest days.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Kelekat- Personally, I wouldn't do any Jillian workouts while doing this program, or not the ones with weights anyway, like 30DS or RI30, they do not seem like a break from lifting to me. But that's just me.

I'm trusting the guidelines in the book, and just doing some HIIT or walking.

Plus I hate cardio anyway, so any excuse not to do so much!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    Kelekat - I believe that too much cardio will affect your development in the program. The "rest" days are specifically designed so your body can rest. If you aren't tired by the end of your weight work-out, the theory is that you did NOT lift heavy enough....
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    It's a little rainy this morning in Maui, so I'm catching up here at mfp.

The vacay is awesome...lots of swimming and snorkeling and NO organized exercise - which was my goal! Just good family times. And, diet-wise, while I am having fish and greens everyday....I'm also drinking (which I normally don't do), eating ice cream (also not normal) and snacking on bad/yummy food. It's fun! And, I'll deal with the ramifications upon my return to real life, soon enough!

I'm nervous about how much srength I've lost and how far DOWN in weight I'll have to go when I hit the gym on Monday....but, logically, I'll gain it all back, over time. So, I'm okay.