Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I hate the cardio machines! So I do Tabata -20sec.max effort, 10 sec. rest for 8, so that's 4 min. total, on my non lifting days. KB 2 handed swings, burpees, bench over jumps, front squats, kb thrusters are all great for me! I do 2-3 a day.

Welcome, 55topretty and jimmychoo2sho!

Welcome back ,beeps!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    idauria, I know what you mean. I love to work out but I also have specific fitness goals (and a desire to look hot in a bikini!). I hate working hard and feeling like I am not progressing!

I found the video on this page ("Felicia Romero's Fitness Program") to be a really helpful, especially where she talks about how "abs are made in the kitchen," lol, and it is a reminder to me that I really, really have to eat super clean. If I want it 100%, I have to do it 100%! I have strength at the gym, now I need to practice strength in my kitchen!!!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-cutting-program.html
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that more and more and more cardio is NOT going to get you what you want.

Anyway, I made it to the gym, today. Thank goodness. I *do* love exercise and, yep, while the break was really fun, I feel MUCH better now that I've had a work-out, lol!!

My quads burned out 5 minutes into it....which means I'll be walking funny, tomorrow. But, I'm back on the train and after an "ease-in" week, I'll really get going next week (if not before).

Lifting heavy is AWESOME....even if, like me, you're only lifting MEDIUM, lol!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    idauria, I know what you mean. I love to work out but I also have specific fitness goals (and a desire to look hot in a bikini!). I hate working hard and feeling like I am not progressing!

I found the video on this page ("Felicia Romero's Fitness Program") to be a really helpful, especially where she talks about how "abs are made in the kitchen," lol, and it is a reminder to me that I really, really have to eat super clean. If I want it 100%, I have to do it 100%! I have strength at the gym, now I need to practice strength in my kitchen!!!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-cutting-program.html

Thanks for that link. I know I need to focus more on my eating. But I know I am doing better than even a year ago and I feel like not only has nothing changed, I think I have put on body fat, even after completing new rules. I am doing my new program now and incorporating more cardio and being more strict. My problem is that I can be good all week and then I fall to pieces on the weekends. I tend not to cook so I go out to eat at least once. However even when I do go to a restaurant I order the healthiest item on the menu, even skipping the bread, potatoes, and rice. But....then I will go out for frozen yogurt or have some chocolate. Obviously something I am doing is wrong. I wish it were easy to figure it all out. I want to look good in a bathing suit this summer too!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Martin Berkhan - "
    If you're adding 2-3 sessions of HIIT to your 3 sessions of weights, it is almost comparable to adding 2-3 days of weights. Keyword is "almost", I'm obviously not drawing direct comparisons. That's all fine and dandy if you think working out 5-6 days/week is a good idea on a diet. But I don't think anyone - no matter what level of experience - needs more than 3 days a week in the gym when cutting. (Yes, this goes for competitors and beginners alike.)
    In conclusion, if conditioning is not terribly important for you, if your goal is really about getting shredded while keeping your muscle, I highly suggest limiting moderate to high intensity cardio on a diet - or ditch it completely. Save it for some other time when your recovery is good and not limited by your diet. A calorie deficit is a recovery deficit. Avoid deficit spending."
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Okay, ladies, HOW MUCH ARE YOU LIFTING?? I feel like I'm doing pretty well, steadily increasing, but I feel like a wimp -- some exercises I can lift in excess of 100lbs, others I struggle to do 10lbs. I'm not sure if I just need to be pushing myself harder or if I will risk injury... I never know what to lift. How about you???
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Morning, all! I'm in week 3 and I'm finally feeling comfortable in the free weights section of the gym! I was so intimidated, but reading all of your posts gave me courage.

I'm also getting less nervous about trying out the heavier weights. My first week, I started out with dumbells between 7 and 12 pounds each and barbells at 20 lbs. Now I'm starting with the 12 pounders and 40 pounders! I was nervous because I actually was able to lift less and do FEWER reps my second week, but this week I am lifting better than ever. Progress!!!

I did pull a muscle in my abdomen the other day and I'm not sure what to do. I've been trying to up my protein intake to help with muscle repair but, GAH, I am having such a hard time! I am supposed to eat between 90-160 grams of protein a day, and I can barely seem to get in 70! Help! Any suggestions?! I can eat lean chicken, fish and seafood, beans and legumes, but no soy or dairy.

Welcome, jimmychoo2sho and 55toPretty! Can't wait to hear more from you about your progress!

Oh, a question about HIIT (because it really works for me, too) -- I used to do HIIT exclusively on the treadmill, but I am bored with running now that my race season is over. I decided to try the stationary bike and elliptical. I tried out the "Hill" setting which seemed to be similar to the HIIT -- any experience with this? I worked up quite a sweat, and I tried to focus on bringing my heart rate up and down between hills to get that HIIT experience... Feedback appreciated!

I'm doing HIIT on a stationary bike at home. My 'hill' setting also looks like HIIT, but is actually nowhere near intensive enough in my case. I set mine to manual instead of using a programme, then go flat out and time myself.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Okay, ladies, HOW MUCH ARE YOU LIFTING?? I feel like I'm doing pretty well, steadily increasing, but I feel like a wimp -- some exercises I can lift in excess of 100lbs, others I struggle to do 10lbs. I'm not sure if I just need to be pushing myself harder or if I will risk injury... I never know what to lift. How about you???

Well I've just started and I feel pretty much the same way. I thought I had been pushing myself as I was feeling challenged during the workout but I was really disappointed with how much weight I was actually using, to be honest I'm not even close to 100 on anything! The only weights I had previously used were circuit machines which of course provide a lot of assistance so I think that may be why I was expecting I could lift more based on how much I could do on the machines.

Oh, and hi everyone! Just started the program and joined the group.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this is gonna get me flamed, but many trainers say, unless you are an ELITE athlete, the whole HIIT interval training is NOT really going to add much to your overall fitness goals.

Not "flaming you" but I couldn't disagree more. I found MASSIVE improvements when I started incorporating HIIT into my training and I am SO not an elite athete... check out this link... an excellent article on the benefits of HIIT and Weight Training over "chronic cardio."

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

PS - for anybody who hasn't read the "Spezzy" article on Nerd Fitness - check it out!!! So Amazing!!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm feeling very happy this morning and wanted to share with my 'new' friends. This morning my very sweet, wonderful, kind scale didn't groan when I stepped on it and it said 199 pounds. I got below 200 last year around May or Junes, but then lost my drive and have been up and down with the same 5-10 pounds. I've been able to drop about 8 pounds in the last three weeks since I've gotten back in gear.

Here's the best part - I've read NROL4W but haven't started yet. Just think once I get moving on the program! :bigsmile:
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm feeling very happy this morning and wanted to share with my 'new' friends. This morning my very sweet, wonderful, kind scale didn't groan when I stepped on it and it said 199 pounds.

Congratulations! Huge milestone!!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

I'm in stage 4, and just broke 100# on the step-ups @ 14" step (I'm 5'11" tall; it DOES matter!)
    I did wide-grip deadlifts from deficit last night with 111 #; a 6# increase from last time.
    Had to back down to 15# dumbbells from 20# on the reverse lunge from box w/ forward reach. My lower back wasn't liking them for some reason.
    Pulling 80# on the wide-grip lat pulldown, but have been for 2 or 3 sessions. Hoping to try for an increase on this one soon.
    Can't break 10# on the prone cuban snatch; form is barely there as it is. (Why is this one so friggin' HARD?!?!)
    I'm doing v-ups for the crunches, and reverse incline crunches for the flexions, but they are HARD!

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Anyone else feel like sharing?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

One of the worst things you can do to yourself esteem is compare your capacity to lift against someone else. Everyone of us is coming here from different levels of fitness to begin with, we all have different body sizes and frames, previous injuries, lifestyles that contribute to what we can lift. Also, as women, we tend to be stronger in our lower halves than our upper. If you are completing your sets so that you struggle to lift those last couple of reps, you are doing the appropriate work load for YOU. If you keep it up, eventually you will be one of those people you envy now and will be giving them the same advice. It sounds like everyone here is doing their best and making progress, we'll all get there!

edit to add after reading jarretd's post above- Nothing wrong with comparing notes. Just don't use it as an excuse to feel down on yourself about where you're at in your program.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, don't compare with others on the weights you can lift. As long as you go heavy for you and up the weights, then you're doing great. I'm better on the deads than I'm on squats and I'm sure all of you have somethings that you better and things that need work. Keep working and you will reach your goals!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I agree with jam and denine....at the start of the program, I was reading threads where ladies were lifting ENORMOUS numbers and it was counter-productive to my own personal motivation.

I am 5'9" tall and I *know* I am not lifting as heavy as many (most?) of the other tall women doing NROL4W. But, that's okay....it's a marathon, not a sprint, and I'll get there.

My upper body is definitely stronger than my lower body and my front half is definitely stronger than my back half. Trying to get all of my "weaker" spots up to snuff is taking quite a LOT of time, actually. (And effort!)

I have morphed to HIIT and like it ONLY because it is 20 minutes (instead of 60), but I tell you, my lungs don't like it AT ALL. As a life-long asthmatic, it has taken a LOT of mental preparation for me to do HIIT because the lung BURN is incredibly painful, actually!! (And, don't worry, I'm on proper medication and my asthma is well-controlled.)

I still do steady-state cardio on Saturday mornings. Just because I like it. It might be interfering with what I'm trying to accomplish in NROL4W, but that is a *risk* I am prepared to take.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm new :) I plan on starting tomorrow, but it will be very light. I might even have to modify many of the abdominal exercises. I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair 6 weeks ago and just have been cleared to start weights. I was in pretty good shape before going into surgery so I have bounced quickly back into running, hoping it's the same for strength!

I tried a push-up today and it was uncomfortable in my abs, so I will start on my knees. My problem is, I could probably do 30 on my knees before my arms are tired...should I do 30 instead of 15 because of this?

Also, it's still spring racing season so I plan on running a bit, actually I won't give up running since I'll start training for a half marathon in late June. Should I run after lifting, or do it on off days? I only plan on running two days a week, one will be intervals, the other will be slow and steady.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Welcome katapple!

I would hesitate to tell you to do too many pushups. I'm reading your post as having done one pushup. These workouts will tax your core muscles (not just the ab exercises) so you might see how you do overall before you start adding more pushups. Even at half they will be working your core too.

If you find your abs are holding up, you could do more half pushups or maybe try a backpack with a weight in it. But I would get at least one workout in without adding too much to see how you do during the work out and then after.

I haven't had a tummy tuck but I did have a c-section and while I was cleared for exercise after 6 weeks, it took me much longer for things to work comfortably again. But I was also out of shape too, you may bounce back faster.

I think a lot of us would agree to do the running on off days.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hmmmph. Not happy. I've been having some pain in my left shoulder, like an electric shock, randomly for the last few weeks. I put it down to poor posture when I am at my workstation. But then I tracked it.

It's the day after deadlifts, and into the second day after. I'm stretching well, but this doesn't even feel like muscle pain. I'm puzzled and pissed. It hits hard and quick; sharp enough to make me cringe and vocalize. I'm thinking nerve? But what to do about it??

Thoughts? Suggestions? Rude remarks?
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, all. Just finished my fourth workout today. My upper body is definitely weaker than my lower. I can only do 8 pounds (each hand) on the dumbell overhead press (I can't remember what it's actually called). And I'm doing the easiest push ups (off a bar at about hip height). I'm just using the bar for squats (45lbs.) but I'm pretty sure I can up it on my next workout. I'm doing 65 pounds on the deadlifts. I'm doing 45 pounds on the seated row, but my form is pretty weak by the end, so I'll probably stick with that for a bit. I actually only did body weight for step ups, because I was struggling with not using my trailing leg, but I watched some videos and have it down, so I should be able to start using some weights next time. I'm doing 15 lbs (each hand) for the lunges. Basically, I'm feeling really good about the program. My biggest challenge is probably getting on track with the diet, but it's a work in progress.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Welcome katapple!

I would hesitate to tell you to do too many pushups. I'm reading your post as having done one pushup. These workouts will tax your core muscles (not just the ab exercises) so you might see how you do overall before you start adding more pushups. Even at half they will be working your core too.

If you find your abs are holding up, you could do more half pushups or maybe try a backpack with a weight in it. But I would get at least one workout in without adding too much to see how you do during the work out and then after.

I haven't had a tummy tuck but I did have a c-section and while I was cleared for exercise after 6 weeks, it took me much longer for things to work comfortably again. But I was also out of shape too, you may bounce back faster.

I think a lot of us would agree to do the running on off days.

Thanks! It was on the full plank push-up I was having troubles, I didn't feel any pain when I switched to my knees. I'll start with 15 and if that doesn't work I just might have to try the back-pack thing! I had 2 c-sections, but I wasn't a workout freak when I had those. It didn't bother me at all that I couldn't workout for 6 weeks then! LOL

I will let you know how it goes!