Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    If this REALLY is about changing your SHAPE.....then you can do this. 100% you can do this.

I cannot promise you anything about the "scale" number.....but, shape, yep, there *is* a formula and if you follow it, slowly, but surely, things will CHANGE.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I got a message from Beeps a couple of weeks ago about this thread and I checked the message on my phone, therefore I TOTALLY forgot about it but here I am!

I am also doing NEOL4W and I just started stage 4! My name is Kayli by the way! So far I LOVE the program and I'm feeling very good! I don't know if I have seen changes...I should probably take pictures! :smile:

I do the lifting 3x/week (MWF) then on Tues I walk for about 30 min and on Thurs I have basketball and/or volleyball so I usually don't do my HIIT workouts on Wed if it calls for it, that gets taken care of on Thursdays!

Also, on pinterest (love that site) I found what looks like a GREAT walking "routine" I suppose you could say. I am going to try it on Saturday or Sunday (depending on what my off day is) here is the link to it... http://www.pbfingers.com/2012/02/22/incline-walking-is-no-joke/

I'm excited to try it!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement! Beeps, you are right, I haven't been 100% true to my diet. I do put things in my mouth that I shouldn't. I have no excuse. Most days I do great, I eat what I am supposed to, no cheating. But some days I just can't seem to help myself. I think your success is incredible. I did talk to the trainer today and he asked me what I do for cardio. I said I have been doing the elliptical, 5 minute warmup, 10 minutes of intervals(15 seconds all out, 45 seconds recovery) and then varying intensities for another 25-25 minutes. I also just added 4 mins of kettlebells swings post elliptical, tabata style. He said intervals are good for fat loss and I should maybe do more. I told him I want to lift heavy. Btw, I got all my measurements today. According to that I am lean. But of course I still want to whittle my middle! For my waist measurement, he measures at the belly button(even though it's the widest point, it's the easiest way to assure they measure at the same place every time). Anyway, it measured 27". I kind of freaked out, after they explained that it's my widest part I was kind of ok. They are going to work with me to come up with a good plan for building muscle and promote fat loss.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hold on, you're 37, have had 2 kids (as per your page) and have a 27" waist? This is NOT a problem! I haven't had a waist that tiny since i was a teenager, and i've never been pregnant!

Maybe you're seeing your body differently to the way it really is? If your trainer thinks you're lean, that can't be bad. Where do you keep your fat when you have it? Mine is on my tum, wish I kept it further south, but that's life!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Weighed myself for the first time since starting the programme (4 weeks) and have "gained" 2lb!

Not sure what it's down to but I think I was eating a bit TOO much in the beginning, and the rest is probably water as I feel like I am always sore at the moment.

The thing is I still have some fat to lose so I have just given myself a small deficit for now.

@Idauria I know exactly what you mean- why can't we just choose where the weigh comes off?? My thighs and bum are still a mass of lard (in my eyes!) yet my chest and neck are starting to look s bit scrawny which I don't like either:angry: Just gotta keep going & things WILL start to change eventually.

I am actually more scared of knowing my body fat % which I am getting measured the gym tomorrow- last time I looked which was last summer it was in the high twenties somewhere!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement! Beeps, you are right, I haven't been 100% true to my diet. I do put things in my mouth that I shouldn't. I have no excuse. Most days I do great, I eat what I am supposed to, no cheating. But some days I just can't seem to help myself. I think your success is incredible. I did talk to the trainer today and he asked me what I do for cardio. I said I have been doing the elliptical, 5 minute warmup, 10 minutes of intervals(15 seconds all out, 45 seconds recovery) and then varying intensities for another 25-25 minutes. I also just added 4 mins of kettlebells swings post elliptical, tabata style. He said intervals are good for fat loss and I should maybe do more. I told him I want to lift heavy. Btw, I got all my measurements today. According to that I am lean. But of course I still want to whittle my middle! For my waist measurement, he measures at the belly button(even though it's the widest point, it's the easiest way to assure they measure at the same place every time). Anyway, it measured 27". I kind of freaked out, after they explained that it's my widest part I was kind of ok. They are going to work with me to come up with a good plan for building muscle and promote fat loss.

Hugs to you! I have 2 kids and the mid section of my body is the hardest to recomp. But then again I'm not that strict with diet, so I guess it's all up to me. I hope the trainer gets you where you want to be. You can do it!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Weighed myself for the first time since starting the programme (4 weeks) and have "gained" 2lb!

Not sure what it's down to but I think I was eating a bit TOO much in the beginning, and the rest is probably water as I feel like I am always sore at the moment.

The thing is I still have some fat to lose so I have just given myself a small deficit for now.

@Idauria I know exactly what you mean- why can't we just choose where the weigh comes off?? My thighs and bum are still a mass of lard (in my eyes!) yet my chest and neck are starting to look s bit scrawny which I don't like either:angry: Just gotta keep going & things WILL start to change eventually.

I am actually more scared of knowing my body fat % which I am getting measured the gym tomorrow- last time I looked which was last summer it was in the high twenties somewhere!

Do you see a change in your body or looser clothes even with 2 lbs. " gain"?
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Do you see a change in your body or looser clothes even with 2 lbs. " gain"?

My arms and back definitely look better but my chest seems bonier for some reason. I can't work out whether my stomach is flatter or not but I swear my legs and bum are fatter!

It has only been 4 weeks though and I am not expecting the results to happen overnight.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Keira, my thighs and bum are a little bigger too, but it's all muscle increase. I don't carry my fat there (unfortunately! easier to hide), so i know it's lean muscle i've gained, it's easy to feel. My fat area (middle) did lose an inch. Maybe the increase you feel there is the you packing on the muscle. I'm sure our leftover fat will go in time, it's a long term program :wink:
  • deninevi
    Options
    Also, don't pay too much attention to the scale,as the weight will fluctuate daily. If you weigh after a lifting day, you will be up. Weigh yourself on the weeks when you are off of lifting between stages or even better throw that sucker away, :) I know, easier said than done. If you haven't lifted before you will have rapid gains, but things will normalize and start getting back to normal in the later stages of the program. If your bum is getting rounder, that that is a good thing. If your legs are getting more muscle , just think how much more weight you can squat. Just think that you are getting stronger and forget the 2 lbs. If your body fat is going down then the "gain" is a good thing. Good luck to you!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Everyone posting here is AWESOME! Supportive....we just want to see everyone SUCCEED!! So, "not giving up" is gonna be STEP ONE (for everyone) ALL THE TIME!!

I've noticed the biggest loss in my boobs....and I didn't have any to begin with! My hips/thighs/bum are my problem areas and they are losing (quarter) inches only VERY SLOWLY. Very.

If I went by how FAST this was gonna be, I'd be dismayed. But, I'm doing this as a lifestyle - i.e. permanent - so whether it comes "off" in 6 months or 12 months or 18 months (as my bodybuilder colleague says it took her 2.5 YEARS!), is IMMATERIAL.

It isn't HOW LONG it takes that matters....it is how "improved" you are doing in relation to lifting heavy with good form and eating properly to fuel your body.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    idauria sorry this is 24 hours late in responding and hope today you feel better about yourself. I really can't add any more than whats been said by the others and I do agree that maybe you aren't eating enough and you see you body differently to others.

I was scared to increase my calories (my eating disorder pass doesn't help :cry: ) but I've been reading some of kdiamond postings on here. She is also tiny maybe slightly taller than you and she really changed my mindset about the calorie intake. I have no second thoughts now about eating at maintenance and maybe higher if I can't move the weights up. She also doesn't eat 100% clean, she has young children, husband, busy lifestyle and still eats cake, chocolate and biscuits.

Like beeps said this is a lifestyle change. I can't eat clean because I would never maintain it, any form of control with my eating has devastating effects and causes relapses. I eat everything I enjoy. I definately have body dysmorphia(sp?) and hate what I see in the mirror but I listen to my closest friends and family who tell me I'm perfect its all in my head.

Its people like you who help ME the most, people who honestly open up about their feelings so thank you for feeling safe enough to share with us. Big hug Gillx
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If I went by how FAST this was gonna be, I'd be dismayed. But, I'm doing this as a lifestyle - i.e. permanent - so whether it comes "off" in 6 months or 12 months or 18 months (as my bodybuilder colleague says it took her 2.5 YEARS!), is IMMATERIAL.

It isn't HOW LONG it takes that matters....it is how "improved" you are doing in relation to lifting heavy with good form and eating properly to fuel your body.

Well said, Beeps! I have to constantly remind myself of this... its tough not seeing the numbers (on the scale or measurements) change as quickly as I would like but I FEEL better and stronger. Thats all that should matter.
  • deninevi
    Options
    Let's not forget all the good for your health side effects of lifting!
  • kkauz42
    Options
    idauria (and everyone else of course)- this may help with the calorie intake/weight gain stuff while lifting...

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I saw that on a thread and it made me feel a lot more comfortable!

Quick question for you all that have your calories set to maintenance (because I have mine set there)- do you still eat your exercise calories back? I know with the formula in the book it's just caloric intake which would be on the "food" part of our intake not the "net". Basically, do you go by the "food" calories or "net"??
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Kayli, what I am doing (and this is JUST me....so, take it with a BIG SPLASH OF SALT!) is just using the base calculation from the book. And, NOT eating my exercise calories back (whatever they may be).

So, I'm eating 1,800 calories every day - whether I work-out or not.

And, the first five weeks, I didn't see much change in the scale (2 lbs down, I think) or measurements (I lost 1/4" here and there). But, THIS MONTH?? 100% DIFFERENT story.

I'm down nearly 4 lbs. on the month and I'm down 1" - 1.5" on various parts of my body.

I have to weigh/measure this weekend, and take photos, for some of the fitness challenges I am in....and, I stepped on the scale today and was WOW-ed. So, I snuck some tape measurements in (of my own - the official ones won't happen until Sunday) and I was AWE-d.

Seriously - unexpected in the biggest way.

EAT YOUR FOOD, GIRLS....EAT YOUR FOOD BECAUSE IF YOU FUEL YOUR BODY AND LIFT HEAVY YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR SHAPE.

The end.
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Kayli, what I am doing (and this is JUST me....so, take it with a BIG SPLASH OF SALT!) is just using the base calculation from the book. And, NOT eating my exercise calories back (whatever they may be).

So, I'm eating 1,800 calories every day - whether I work-out or not.

And, the first five weeks, I didn't see much change in the scale (2 lbs down, I think) or measurements (I lost 1/4" here and there). But, THIS MONTH?? 100% DIFFERENT story.

I'm down nearly 4 lbs. on the month and I'm down 1" - 1.5" on various parts of my body.

I have to weigh/measure this weekend, and take photos, for some of the fitness challenges I am in....and, I stepped on the scale today and was WOW-ed. So, I snuck some tape measurements in (of my own - the official ones won't happen until Sunday) and I was AWE-d.

Seriously - unexpected in the biggest way.

EAT YOUR FOOD, GIRLS....EAT YOUR FOOD BECAUSE IF YOU FUEL YOUR BODY AND LIFT HEAVY YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR SHAPE.

The end.

Is the 1800 cals your maintenance level, "active work out" #, or 300 cal deficit #?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Kayli, it is about a 250 calorie deficit.
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Oh ok! I just kind of eat when I'm hungry but I make sure it's good food (or try to) and I log it. I have been at or around my "active workout" # every time. I just can't NOT eat. I get SO hungry! I guess it's better to eat though! I haven't stepped on the scale. I kind of want to talk to one of the trainers at my gym and see if he can do bf% on me and measure it at the end of every stage.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You ladies are making me feel better.

I'm halfway through Stage 1 and I added 1/4" to my calves but also to my belly (where I carry a lot of weight). I was starting to doubt the amount of calories I've been eating. It was discouraging this week, but I just need to be patient and keep eating!

Plan on lifting tomorrow and hiking Sunday. What about you ladies?