Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    ROCKSTARS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k8MPGFMFgHM

okay, this guy isn't doing the "rockstars" (called "hurricanes" in this video) very FAST, but the movement is the same....with rockstars, you have to imagine a smooth/fluid movement and imagine that you are EXPLODING up so that the PUSH comes from your legs (and not just your arms once your legs have straightened out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k8MPGFMFgHM

in this video, they are called "lumberjack thrusts", but he is doing a better EXPLOSION. Where he "fails" to be considered a "rockstar", in my opinion, is that he isn't going parallel in his squats and he isn't going up on his toes at the TOP of the motion.

I hope this helps!
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    jam, I do like cottage cheese. Will investigate if I still need to up my protein (after I get back from Hawaii).

carrie - don't give up on Stage 2!! What don't you like about it? If it is "balance" issues, or even flexibility, remember that STRENGTH training means working on these areas, too. Plus, if some of your "weaker" areas are being hi-lited in this Stage 2, all the better!! Working on your weaker areas is also necessary for getting stronger.

Shyloh - I wrote about the "rock-stars" on another thread here at NROL4W. They are a very good substitute for squat/push-press. (I can PM you, if you'd like more info!)

I'm doing cardio today. The end.

Thanks Beeps,

I'll have a look!:flowerforyou:
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Think I must be the only UKer???? :cry:

I'm also curious about that guy now :laugh:

Since starting NRFL my diet has been dreadful so no way would I open my diary, it totally gives out the wrong message!! I've done well today so far, now my husband has just suggested chinese takeaway tonight :ohwell:

Please feel free to friend me though :heart:

You're not alone, i live on the cold wet isle too!:grumble: wish i lived in Hawaii

EDIT: Sorry am reading this thread backward.. i hate stage 2 as well.. the front squats hurt my wrists and i cannot get my elbows up. i miss back squats and front squats with the bar in the crook of my arms. but i will stick with it, i have never finished any kind of fitness program and i will be annoyed if i don't finish this one!

Greek yogurt is the Dogs, i started paleo so i get to eat it less, but i do sometimes sneak it in with honey and walnuts or flaxseed, the trick is to stir it up so it is not set anymore, set yogurt makes me gag.. oh and PB rules!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Think I must be the only UKer???? :cry:

You're not alone, i live on the cold wet isle too!:grumble: wish i lived in Hawaii

Me three!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Me 4! Except I escaped :tongue:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Legs are feeling sore today which is a good thing right?

I added 10 KG to the olympic bar for the squats yesterday, next time I will be adding more! I made the step a lot higher for the step ups too and used 7 kg dumbells so was really pleased with that.

Really enjoying stage one- am on the 8th workout now and keep looking forward to the next one!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Wanted to get my WO in yesterday, but wine got in the way. <<<giggle...snort>>> Can you just imagine attempting ANY of this even slightly tipsy???

Today is actually my "scheduled" day to lift, and I should have no trouble getting it done tonight. I only wanted to do it yesterday because hubs and the crew also workout on Sundays, and it gets very distracting and crazy with all of us working out at the same time. (Not to mention, his "crew" is our 20 and 21 yr old sons and their friends, and SORRY, but THEY SMELL!)

I may have to make a permanent change to the schedule at some point, because my Ladies Club meeting was at my house last night, and the girls took an interest in my home gym. I demonstrated a few moves, and we even did 10 minutes or so of Turbo Jam. They LOVED it, and were talking about starting our own "crew"....how cool would that be? I guess I'll have to wait and see if they are serious or just talking out of their hats. I know I had the best of intentions (and not much else) for the longest time before I actually got off my butt and did something!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options

(Not to mention, his "crew" is our 20 and 21 yr old sons and their friends, and SORRY, but THEY SMELL)
    This made me really LOL. I have 14, 21 and 24 yr old sons and they all smelt LOL!!!

Hi UKers think I've sent friend messages to you all, don't feel so alone now.

OK, HUGE step for me, I've opened my food diary to friends. I feel totally vulnerable about this but hoping it will keep me on track.

I have an Eating Disorder past and at times very helpless around food but improving and gaining confidence. It helps that you ladies eat and don't try to live on fresh air believe me!!!!!!!!
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Speaking of smell...this as good a place to bring it up as any, I guess.

Have any of you noticed that your body odor changed when you started eating more protein and lifting weights? My tried-and-true anti-perspirant/deodorant doesn't cut it anymore. I've had trial and error with 3 or 4 brands now, and still haven't found one that can go the distance once the sweat starts to fly.

Thoughts?
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I got overwhelmed so posted to the general masses, but if yall have ideas about special workouts, would love to hear!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/495813-nrol-special-workout
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    about to begin my "week off" between stages 1 and 2. trail running today & thursday. tabatas tuesday. pole dancing wednesday. so many options out there. makes me happy.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    After 4 days of rest from lifting I am wondering if it will help or hurt. The most I have taken off is 2 days. Thoughts? I was thinking of increasing my squat from 135 to 140 or 145. I'm in slug mode and need to snap out of it:smile: BTW Beeps this was a great idea! You are a star!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and haven't done any exercise since Friday! I was supposed to lift weights yesterday but I was in no condition to do so. I'm going to rest today again and try to do something tomorrow. I meet with my personal trainer again on Tuesday so I probably won't lift tomorrow. I hate missing my workouts!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jarrett, I hope you DO end up with a "girl crew" - that would be soooooooooooooo amazing!

grape - your physique is AMAZING! And, your pursuits during week-off are also amazing!

Laurie - I bet the rest did you good....hell, you're already squatting HIGH WEIGHT! So, I think you'll just totally PUMP it up next lift day!

idauria - I hate missing workouts, too.

I'm not lifting until Wed....so, it will have been 5 days since my last one.

Hubby has an awful cold, so he isn't coming to meet my new nephew with us.

:(

First "family day" NOT spent as a family. Fail. Anyway, my oldest son is bringing his gf and driving to hometown after his work-shift. Little 2 and me will leave right after lunch. I'm pretty excited to see my siblings/parents and meet this little baby! I haven't held a baby in my arms since his brother was born 2 years ago....so, I'll get my "baby kicks" BIG-TIME today/tomorrow.

I'll log in remotely to keep my food tracking....but, I won't be around the boards for a couple days.

KEEP LIFTING HEAVY, gals!
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Beeps: enjoy the baby and your time with family! We'll hold down the fort til you get back.

Grape: LOL @ pole dancing. I can see me telling hubs that I want to try that next.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have fun Beeps!

I have spent the day scouring the island for ricotta cheese to make my blueberry ricotta pancakes, my fave day-off breakfast. Nope. When one place runs out they all do!
    Will venture further afield tomorrow.

I also searched all my nearby gyms for squat racks/power cages today- also to no avail! I now know what a Smith machine looks like, I was proudly introduced to 2, both places were surprised that I was not impressed! There is one maddeningly well stocked serious lifting gym right near me, but it's men only. I can't really challenge that in the arab world. Think i'm going to have to get a power cage made for when my weights are much higher. My current gear can cope up to about 50kg i reckon, i'm up to about 30 on the squats.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hey Beeps,I hope you have a great time!:smile:

I've decided to stick with NROLFW for right now,I found a site that shows variations of the exercises and works the same muscles. I only plan to sub with the odd exercise that I'm not too found of.

Here's the link:

http://fitbie.msn.com/exercise/barbell-front-squat-push-press-women#nogo

Keep lifting heavy ladies!
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is the Dogs, i started paleo so i get to eat it less, but i do sometimes sneak it in with honey and walnuts or flaxseed, the trick is to stir it up so it is not set anymore, set yogurt makes me gag.. oh and PB rules!

YAH! GO PALEO!!!!!! Loving it!! (although - I'm still doing some dairy... I have no idea how I would get enough protein without it... Greek yogurt with homemade granola & a bit of maple syrup for breakie, cottage cheese for snack)...

Beeps - thanks for the links to Rockstars - they look kickass! Can't wait for stage 2!!

Sorry I've been AWOL - I use my iPad on the weekends and can't seem to find the Community link there?? Anybody else have that app?

Speaking of Smith Machines... I decided to get BRAVE and ask some dude in the weight room who has using it to show me how to work it... I've still been using the pre-loaded bars for squats but now am reaching the point where I can't press enough to get into "squating position." So - I've been eyeing up the Smith Machine as an alternative to going full on olympic squat bar... I guess I'm just scared of "Hardcore" squats... SO - votes ladies... does the Smith Machine for squats count as "barbie weights?"
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I read some where that you can use adjustable height sawhorses instead of squat rack, but never tried it.

The Smith machine- the bar goes up and down and doesn't go with the natural move of your body when you squat. So be aware that once you go to an oly bar and start squatting after the Smith, things will be different. Don't be afraid of the oly bar and squat rack-just go for it!

Beeps, have fun!

Shylo, great to see you are sticking with the program!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    i had a great time cuddling baby and snapping photos!

But, I've missed my exercise, actually....and will be glad to make it back to the gym, tomorrow. It's just a HIIT day/stretching, but still....I'll lift on Wed and Fri and then (next) Mon and THEN HAWAII!!