Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Jen was going to suggest skimmed milk, then read about your problems. I suffer from that too and never thought to think of the milk content. I probably drink at least 1 pint a day in shakes and tea/coffee.

I stayed away from milk for a year or so when i vaguely followed the blood type diet (A, in which i had to avoid wheat and most dairy except yog and some cheeses), that really helped my regularity. However now i prefer to eat more dairy due to the protein and calcium content. I go for semi skimmed milk (2%?) as i hate skimmed! I do find improvement when i eat plenty of veggies, esp brocolli, give that a try Gilleeman.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    Jen, when I started NROL4W in late December, I *had* to rely on protein bars and protein shakes to up my protein, for sure. There just wasn't any other manageable way to get all that protein in (and many days, it's still tough for me to do - but I do get >120g in, I'd say).

Last weekend, I decided NOT only was the *expense* getting to be unbearable, but I was also having the runs too much and then I read some thread about how BAD protein bars are, anyway (i.e. glorified chocolate bars!). So, I just decided to quit, cold turkey.

From having 3-4 protein bars per day, plus (maybe) 1 protein shake, I now do not. I have altered my schedule to help with this:

1. I get up 10 minutes earlier (than before) and I make 1 egg + 2 slices Cdn bacon - replaces 1 protein bar.
    2. I ask for extra-chicken with my lunch salad - replaces 1 protein bar
    3. I eat yogurt in the afternoon (I know, yogurt isn't a protein....but, my protein bars also had starch parts in them, so I have to keep my carb-ratio up, too!) - replaces 1 protein bar.

I haven't eaten a protein bar since Saturday! And, I feel MUCH BETTER.

This was the right choice for me.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Is anyone esle finding the high protein diet hideously expensive?

I'm a pescatarian, so i get some protein from fish/tuna/prawns/salmon, but i prefer not to eat fish every day (worried about mercury etc). Therefore I rely heavily on greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powder and protein bars, all of which have to be imported to Bahrain, hence the price. Fortunately we're not broke, but i do feel guilty when my parts of the weekly food shopping are way over-priced!

I've just discovered that plain old milk is the cheapest source, so am trying to increase that.

Unfortunately the high-dairy content is causing me to go slow in the 'bathroom department', so will have to make a concerted effort to keep the veg up. Having a 2 bean chilli tonight in the hope that'll help!

What about eggs? Are those available and can you eat them? Those are a pretty inexpensive protein source here in the states. Beans and lentils are pretty inexpensive as well.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    beeps, yogurt has protein-if it's Greek even more.

idauria, kbs are great! and tabata too-hell while you doing it, but ober very quick! Love tabata at the end of my WOs!

How about cottage cheese for protein-a lot less sugars than yogurt.

TGIF!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Thanks all!

jamk- yes, eggs are also my saviour, i average 2 a day (only the white if i'm over on cals), they're cheap too, as is milk.

deninevi- i have cottage cheese every couple of days, but as it's imported that's also pricy.

Beeps- I don't find protein bars give me the runs (maybe the opposite!), and if i ever go back to eating chicken then i might be able to give them up (and save money), but i just can't bring myself to handle raw chicken. I eat turkey once or twice a year at xmas etc, if someone else is cooking it but i haven't handled it or eaten it regularly for about 20 years. Yeah, i'm weird.

I have found some meat-free bacon (soy) which is yum (but also, pricy), i have that for brekky sometimes with poached/fried eggs or egg whites, really good on a bagel if i can spare the carbs. Bit like an egg mcmuffin!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I can't do protein bars either. They do bad things to my digestive system, lol. Same thing with the Atkins bars. I am able to tolerate the protein powder I use. It's 100% whey isolate and I think that makes the difference. I'm on my second protein shake of the day but that's because I am too lazy to figure out what to make for lunch, lol. I eat greek yogurt too and cottage cheese, roasted turkey or chicken slices. For dinner I usually just eat meat and veggies.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Jenlwb, how about beans, lentils? they are good for protein.
  • idauria
    Options
    denine, I am so glad I got these kettlebells! I totally feel it in my core and glutes right now. I hope I was doing the swings right though. I did watch some videos yesterday to get form down. I was making sure I popped my hips at the top and squeezed my glutes too. I'm going to add this to my cardio days from now on.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Well, my Valentine's consisted of me working until 7 and my boyfriend sharing a big plate of lasagna from the local pizza place. It is a miracle to get him to share anything with me, he always refuses at restaurants. Luckily by the time I got home he had already eaten, so the lasagna was his second meal. I hate going out on Valentine's so this was fine with me.

I should have started stage 2 on Wednesday, but still haven't and don't know when it's going to happen. I feel like I'm making excuses but I have no time. I went to Vegas last weekend for a wedding, have to drive 2 hours away to my cousin's wedding this weekend, then leaving early Monday morning to go back to Vegas for work and am not home again until Thursday. I checked the hotel and they do have a gym, but I'm going to be working 12 hour days in Vegas so it's not looking good. I feel like I'm really doing some serious damage and losing strength. I went to a cardio class last night and was struggling with push-ups.

I'm reading this book about motivation and here is something I got from it that I thought really applied to lifting and I wanted to share it with my favorite heavy lifting ladies....

"Remember that deliberate practice ahs one objective: to improve performance. People who play tennis once a week for years don’t get any better if they do the same thing each time. Deliberate practice is about changing your performance, setting new goals and straining yourself to reach a bit higher each time.

Repeat, repeat, repeat. Repetition matters. Basketball greats don’t shoot ten free throws at the end of team practice; they shoot 500.

Seek constant, critical feedback. If you don’t know who you’re doing, you won’t know what to improve.

Focus ruthlessly on where you need help. While many of us work on what we’re already good at, those who get better work on their weaknesses.

Prepare for the process to be mentally and physically exhausting. That’s why so few people commit to it, but that’s why it works."

And just so I'm not plagarizing, this comes from "Drive" by Daniel H. Pink.

I really miss lifting and hope time permits for me to start stage 2 soon. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    denine, I am so glad I got these kettlebells! I totally feel it in my core and glutes right now. I hope I was doing the swings right though. I did watch some videos yesterday to get form down. I was making sure I popped my hips at the top and squeezed my glutes too. I'm going to add this to my cardio days from now on.

I did kb swings when I did bootcamp, it was one of my favorite things. Really noticed a difference in my backside.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

" Focus ruthlessly on where you need help. While many of us work on what we’re already good at, those who get better work on their weaknesses."

Thank you, Kelsey!!! This is just what I needed to hear right now!! I did YTWL's last night and was lamenting how hard and awful they are. I actually slacked on form for the last 2 reps because I just hate 'em. That being said, now I know that I hate them because I struggle with them. Avoiding/slacking on them will only make that worse.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    kelsey, I liked your post about "motivation". Because it's all TRUE. The *reason* all those BUFF girls look the way they do is SIMPLY because they are willing to do ALL the things it takes to get them into that shape. Not some of the things. Not one or two of the things, and then only on Monday and Wednesday....they do ALL the things it takes so that they don't look like any of the out-of-shape-and-whiney-about-it people out there!!

I haven't done kettleballs....but everyone I know who does them, absolutely LOVES 'em! So, yay on the back-side news, that's AWESOME!

I just do NOT get the "greek yogurt" fad. At all. I don't like yogurt, really, but I'm eating it because I'm eating it. But, hell if I'm going to add greek yogurt! I tried it. Even with a big spoonful of peanut butter. And, I just had to spit it out and throw out the container. It. Is. NOT. My. Thing.
  • idauria
    Options
    Beeps, I did not like greek yogurt for the longest time either. I still don't like it when it's plain. But I found that if I doctor it up enough I can eat it. I usually add some pb2 and a packet of splenda or stevia and I'm good to go. Sweetness is the key for me but I don't like the sugar counts of the flavored yogurt, pretty much defeats the purpose of eating it in the first place. I think if you try different things you may find a combo that you like.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    And.....my work-out today kind of sucked.

:sad:

In these last 7-8 weeks of doing NROL4W, I can say this was the *first* time I really was pretty disappointed in myself.

BUMMER.

No reason for it...I had good energy. It was my LAST work-out "A" in Stage 2, so I was EXCITED about it - and maybe getting in some PR's. But, no dice.

I actually had to REDUCE my weight on the squat/push-presses....and, that being the first exercise in the lot, that isn't saying much!

Anyway, I'm glad the weekend is here. I'll do a long-(steady-state) cardio tomorrow, which isn't permitted, but I just want to feel GOOD about myself. Sunday I'll get a stretch in and then we're traveling to meet my new nephew!! So, I won't work-out Monday. Then, hubby is out-of-town at a conference all next week, so I'll have to do my level best not to SNACK ON BAD THINGS when I'm alone at night.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    idauria, I'm sure you're right about the Greek yogurt, but I am just not interested in it.

I'd rather just have a scoop of peanut butter!! I mean, THAT I KNOW I WILL LIKE!!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Beeps - have you tried the flavored greek yogurts? I get the Chobani fruit yogurts and I just love them!! much better than the plain. A tad high on the sugars and carbs, but great for a little extra protein. I usually just use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just have a scoop of peanut butter!! I mean, THAT I KNOW I WILL LIKE!!

My only problem is I never stop at just ONE scoop!! lol
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Peanut butter used to be my "go to" breakfast. Peanut butter on one slice of toast. That was IT. Then, my husband started working for a company that produced low-GI food products and, about 5 years ago, I went on the "Low GI diet". Peanut butter was 100% OFF the eating list.

I cried for 2 months. (Also, caffeine is OFF the list....so, I switched to decaf!)

Anyway, eventually I got used to it and, about 2 or 3 times a YEAR, I'd have a little peanut butter on a bagel, or something.

When I started into NROL4W and realized that I COULD HAVE PEANUT BUTTER AGAIN, I cried.

And yet, I haven't. I've been PETRIFIED to add it back into my diet. Simply PETRIFIED. But, I'm going to....I just haven't figured out where or when. And, because I don't eat bagels or bread or anything, I do NOT want to add any of that stuff back into my diet.

Interesting, huh??
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Oh - I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER.

I love everything about peanut butter. I just am terrified of re-introducing it into my diet. TERRIFIED.

1. Terrified that I'll love it soooooooooo much I'll find 100 excuses to eat it everyday.
    2. Terrified that I'll love it soooooooooo much that I have to smear it on bread, crackers, bagels - all of which are on the 'NO-NO' Beeps list!
    3. Terrified that I'll start bringing it to work and bingeing on IT, in the afternoons, rather than the good ol' yogurt cups in my bosses fridge.

No, Beeps, NO!!!!!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Deninevi- thanks, I do eat lots of lentils and beans, but find them v high in carbs and low protein, eg, my dinner tonight is my own 2 bean chilli recipe with veggies, which has 10g protein and 38g carbs! I always go over carbs....

Beeps, you have issues :tongue: but seriously, greek yogurt. The chobani ones with fruit are yum. The first time I had plain greek yog with honey I HATED it, then the 2nd time i thought it was ok, then the 3rd time I really liked it. My fave is plain yog with 2 teaspoons honey and about 15g chocolate chips!