Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I had a backwards day...and I'm just feeling crappy about it. I had to go backwards on my squats today, I did 65 the other day, had to go back to 55 today, I did 6 at the 65 and I just wasn't feeling it. My form felt off and I just didnt' feel...like I was really putting it all in. So I went backwards to 55 and finished that set and my others...but yeah...I was totally bummed out, It was workout 4A. Blech

Just kind of put a damper on what would have otherwise been a great kickass workout today.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    lol@jen. Yes, I *do* have issues!! You have seen through my "woman of mystery" mask, lol!

cgrout - same kinda day for me, too...

Chin-up! If nothing else, IT IS FRIDAY!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Beeps, how do you feel about cottage cheese? It has a good protein profile and it's convenient like yogurt (although a few of the artisanal types can be pretty tangy like the yogurt). I like Daisy it's pretty mild and creamy. You can add things to it just like with yogurt.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Ok, ladies. I have a confession. I hate Stage 2. I am seriously considering stopping New Rules and going on my own. I want to keep doing regular squats. I don't like the new exercises. I don't like doing 2 sets of 10.

There. I got that off my chest.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    idauria, I'm sure you're right about the Greek yogurt, but I am just not interested in it.

I'd rather just have a scoop of peanut butter!! I mean, THAT I KNOW I WILL LIKE!!

No biggie. It's just a matter of finding things that you do like. I hear ya on the peanut butter. I put a tablespoon in my protein shake every morning. I could eat it straight out of the jar too but I don't. My problem is more with chocolate. It's all or nothing. Once I have a little taste I just want more and more.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ok, ladies. I have a confession. I hate Stage 2. I am seriously considering stopping New Rules and going on my own. I want to keep doing regular squats. I don't like the new exercises. I don't like doing 2 sets of 10.

There. I got that off my chest.

Carrie,

I can understand how you feel,I'm not loving Stage 2 as much I liked Stage 1.....

I was thinking about buying the book Starting Strength?? Or maybe just I'll just tough it out with Stage 2,hoping that Stage 3 will be better?

I'm having a tough time the Front squat,push/press.:frown:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hmmm this week has been a bit of a disaster diet-wise for me, my clothes are feeling tighter and I haven't weighed myself for about 4 weeks. Valentines day I cooked a 3 course meal for my hubby (rabbit cacciatore- mmm!) but it didn't end there, I have had a week off work and have literally been WAY over my calories every day. I usually eat between 1700 - 2200 but there are days where it's been 2600 or more!!

Does anyone else get really, really hungry since starting the programme? This didn't even used to happen to me before I started lifting. I am aiming for 100g protein a day so I should be nicely full all the time but I just feel starving :angry: !

I have had to cut back to 1500 (NET) now just to reign myself back in!
  • cgrout78
    Options
    i may have dropped my squats back yesterday, but I can really feel it today...Zumba this morning though!! Woohoo!!
  • cgrout78
    Options
    Hmmm this week has been a bit of a disaster diet-wise for me, my clothes are feeling tighter and I haven't weighed myself for about 4 weeks. Valentines day I cooked a 3 course meal for my hubby (rabbit cacciatore- mmm!) but it didn't end there, I have had a week off work and have literally been WAY over my calories every day. I usually eat between 1700 - 2200 but there are days where it's been 2600 or more!!

Does anyone else get really, really hungry since starting the programme? This didn't even used to happen to me before I started lifting. I am aiming for 100g protein a day so I should be nicely full all the time but I just feel starving :angry: !

I have had to cut back to 1500 (NET) now just to reign myself back in!

I have been a LOT hungrier as well. I'm usually eating now like 1700-2000 calories a day rather than the 14-16 I was before. Are you getting enough fats and fiber as well? Those are biggies too for keeping me full, and water of course. my gallon a day...LOL
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Yes definately get hungrier. I've increased my calories to 2300 from 2100 on non lift days, and about 2500 lift/exercise days. I'm 5ft 11 in btw. When I feel that hunger I know my metabolism is working efficiently. Also get hungier when I eat more often too i.e. 5 times a day and I know thats how you speed up your metabolism so in my eyes its all good. I actually think I've found the right balance at last calorie wise. I compared myself to others and was undereating for ages and wondering why I was starving and not losing weight. Now I've upped them I'm content with the amount I'm eating and don't feel ill!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jam, I do like cottage cheese. Will investigate if I still need to up my protein (after I get back from Hawaii).

carrie - don't give up on Stage 2!! What don't you like about it? If it is "balance" issues, or even flexibility, remember that STRENGTH training means working on these areas, too. Plus, if some of your "weaker" areas are being hi-lited in this Stage 2, all the better!! Working on your weaker areas is also necessary for getting stronger.

Shyloh - I wrote about the "rock-stars" on another thread here at NROL4W. They are a very good substitute for squat/push-press. (I can PM you, if you'd like more info!)

I'm doing cardio today. The end.
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Stage 4 workout 2B did 100lbs on deadlift today. woohoo! definitely hungrier. experimenting with calorie intake and trying to hit the macros 40-30-30. I too depend on greek yogurt. I like the plain with 1/4 cup granola (bear naked peak protein) and fruit if I have it to add some sweetness. It's so thick and creamy tastes like a dessert to me. also doing morningstar veggie burgers for some lunches. a lot of beans and quinoa to work the protein because not doing any protein bars or shakes. tried to do a chin up or a pullup today on our roman chair thing and a looooong ways to go but worth working towards. will be so psyched if i can do some at the end of this program, think we are going to pick up NROL and NROL abs today for hubby and later me when we finish. glad I found out about this program and really love reading about everyone's experiences!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    kcfaber, i'm jealous your hubby is involved! Mine is supportive of me, but not interested in trying it himself. I'd feel less guilty about taking over the spare room if we both used the stuff.

I was looking back at my diaries for last Aug/sep when i was on a 1lb loss a week intake of approx 1250 a day, and doing jillian michaels RI30 daily, with very little results. Now i'm eating 1660 before exercise cals, I'm way stronger already, my stomach is flatter, and I can eat!! I will never be a cardio queen again- i hated it anyway.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    beeps, what are the Rock-stars?

idauria, and anyone into kbs, myohmytv.com has some pretty cool workouts with ketllebells. I love her stuff!

kcfaber, chin ups/pull ups are one of the hardest things to do. But keep at it, it gets better. Try the grip where your hand are facing each other or a close grip chin ups-shoulder wide with palms facing you. If you have to jump a little , just jump, hold on top as long as you can and go slowly down. You will get there.

We all have bad days at the gym and great days at the gym!

Carrie, I was the same way after stage 1- I hated stage 2. I love the simple squat, deads and hate the rev. lunge with front foot up and reach or cuban snatch. Good luck to you!

Have a great weekend every one!
  • cgrout78
    Options
    OK...i'm still doing cardio 2 or 3 days a week besides my 3 days of lifting. Am I sabatoging myself? I'm still quite a ways from my weight goal, and so I want the extra calorie burn, but not if it's going to keep me from hitting the goals I want for lifting. I'm wondering if I didnt' overdo cardio the other day and that's why my lifting was tougher yesterday and I had to drop weights back?

I'm really happy with squatting 55 or 65 pounds though. And i think now that I'm going into workout 5 and it's lower reps again I'll be able to get to the 75 I want, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    cgrout, I only cut back my cardio cos i'm in maintenance now. I still do 25 mins of HIIT on the bike twice a week. If you're still trying to lose, it sounds tricky. Maybe just ease off so you don't compromise your lifting days? Your weights sound good, better than mine! I'm still struggling with squat form, but i'm about to post on that.
  • cgrout78
    Options
    yeah...my form was pretty weak yesterday at 65, so i dropped it back to 55 to keep that steady. Maybe I'm just expecting too much too fast. I'm not the most patient person in the world!!!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    posted my query in the fitness thread, for a wider audience of any other lifters out there!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/495025-shoulder-flexibility-esp-for-barbell-squats
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    OK...i'm still doing cardio 2 or 3 days a week besides my 3 days of lifting. Am I sabatoging myself? I'm still quite a ways from my weight goal, and so I want the extra calorie burn, but not if it's going to keep me from hitting the goals I want for lifting. I'm wondering if I didnt' overdo cardio the other day and that's why my lifting was tougher yesterday and I had to drop weights back?

I'm really happy with squatting 55 or 65 pounds though. And i think now that I'm going into workout 5 and it's lower reps again I'll be able to get to the 75 I want, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing

You don't have to cut out cardio, but it makes a difference if you make lifting your main priority. So for example, you wouldn't generally do cardio right before lifting weights since you need your energy for lifting, but some light cardio after lifting or on your non-lifting days is great for minimizing soreness from lifting and for calorie burning for losing the extra pounds. Once your fitness level increases further, you can also do internaval (HIIT) cardio after lifting or on non-lifting days.

I generally have the opposite problem - my lifting impacts my cardio... my legs don't have the energy they normally do (because they are sore and/or tired from squats, etc.) for me to run as frequently or as long as I used to, but I think this is also just a general fitness issue and I need to continue to build up my strength and endurance.

There are a lot of factors that impact how much strength we have on any given day (time of day of workout, sleep, nutrition, etc.). Unless it was a cardio session that was out of the ordinary in terms of intensity or duration, I'm not sure a cardio session the day before would impact you needing to drop your weights back. Just my opinion. It is important to learn what impacts our bodies and make adjustments, so you might want to change up your cardio and drop it back a bit to see if that makes a difference.

Good luck (and congrats on lifting 3x/week! you are doing awesome)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Rock-stars:

1. utilize the Olympic Bar (OB);
    2. find a "pivot" at your gym, or else use a corner (not recommended) and insert one end of the OB into the pivot;
    3. you can load up the opposite end of the OB with some weight plates, if necessary;
    4. grab the end of the OB that is OPPOSITE to the pivot and hold it with your hands placed one in line with the other and that end of the OB at about chin level. Your feet should be just wider than shoulder-length, toes pointing toward the pivot or slightly outward (with your knees tracking over your toes);
    5. Proceed to squat while keeping your arms tucked in and the end of the bar at about your chin level;
    6. EXPLODE upward, through your whole foot, and raising your arms into the air so that you will finish on your toes with your arms up (but not straight up above your head, they'll be at about a 30 degree angle, meaning you could see your hands in you line of vision without having to look up).
    7. Heels back down to the ground. Bend your arms back down so that the OB is again at chin level.
    8. Repeat the squat and the EXPLOSION back up.

Rock-stars take away some of the "balance" issues that people have with the squat/push-press. But, otherwise, it works all the same muscles that the squat/push-press does.

I'll try and find a link....

I really liked the rock-stars because I could squat really deep in them and I really liked trying to EXPLODE up out of that deep squat - it just felt REALLY GOOD for my body!