Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Gretchen - my understanding of BCAA's is that they are amino acids that replenish your muscles. So I bought some (very expensive - grr) powder at GNC called Cellucor BCAA. I put a scoop in about 10 oz of water and drank half after my workout and the rest up until noon. It tastes OK -- very sweet. According to the container, you can take it before, during, or after a workout. They have 0 calories.

ETA:
    Forgot to mention that I completed another Stage 3 B workout today totally made up for the FAIL workout from last week. I make myself take all 105 seconds of rest. I feel like it helps. Does everyone take the full rest recommended in the book? Just curious.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Gretchen - my understanding of BCAA's is that they are amino acids that replenish your muscles. So I bought some (very expensive - grr) powder at GNC called Cellucor BCAA. I put a scoop in about 10 oz of water and drank half after my workout and the rest up until noon. It tastes OK -- very sweet. According to the container, you can take it before, during, or after a workout. They have 0 calories.

ETA:
    Forgot to mention that I completed another Stage 3 B workout today totally made up for the FAIL workout from last week. I make myself take all 105 seconds of rest. I feel like it helps. Does everyone take the full rest recommended in the book? Just curious.

To the BCAAs....I wasn't going to buy those, but do you think I should?

As for the rests...I don't time them. I rest until my heart rate slows back down. For the bigger lifts, it takes a little bit longer than say, for the pushups.

I did 2A yesterday, and I actually had to take rests in between the lunges...I mean after each leg. Not because I needed to for my legs or body but because I upped the weights to 25, and my grip was aching! LOL
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Great work going on out there - WAY TO GO LADIES!

sue - I *love* the gym.

kmsai - most days I take ALL the rest that a program provides. And, I remember, in Stage 7 of NROL4W, I had to ADD IN EXTRA REST TIME because my heart-rate could not handle the 30s rests!

April - your grip strength will come along in no time - no worries. PS - I often take a "rest" between legs when doing lunges or split squats - NOT because of "grip strength" issues, but purely because I want to bring my heart rate down, lol!

With the updates to reporting in for Week 1 of the 7-WEEK CHALLENGE, the score is now "ME": 6/"NEW": 4

If manic, Samntha, Agent99, mermegan and briebear let me know their Week 1 results, I can close off the scoring for this week!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Yeah, I probably needed to lower my HR too when I rested between legs. LOL My heart freakin' POUNDS!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Finally had my office birthday lunch out....along with my paralegal who celebrates her birthday next week!

One of my groupon's is expiring tomorrow - so we went to that restaurant for lunch. Turns out they wouldn't accept the groupon for "lunch" - has to be a dinner! So, I've planned an impromptu "date night" (with husband) for tomorrow night!

Hubby won't mind....
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Awesome! I love impromptu date nights! We get so few date nights, though, I'll take one, impromptu or not. LOL Enjoy!

I took today as a rest day. It's normally a cardio day, but I'm tired, so I'm resting. I'll make up for it this Sunday (normally a rest day)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    One point for me! I upped my time on both my regular planks and side planks by 15 seconds. Not a major increase- but an increase just the same. :smile:

who are you kidding! 15 seconds longer on both is outstanding!! Congrats!
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sue!!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, I can already tell you all this week will be a NEW week for me. On Sunday I had no appetite and by Sunday night was feeling pretty sick. Turns out I have appendicitis (apparently this can actually be treated with antibiotics if not too advanced), but it means my stomach is super tender and I am not at all hungry...It also means no work outs =( I'm def bummed bc for me my am workouts are an important part of my routine, but I guess Thanksgiving week is as good a time as any to take a break! MAYBE I'll be back in the gym on Friday, if not then def Monday.

I'm gonna keep reading on all your awesome progress though!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Well, emgel, if EVER there was a GOOD EXCUSE to give the (early) point to "NEW" - YOU HAVE FOUND IT!

Gosh, I hope you feel better soon....I think it's strange they won't take the appendix out - what happens next time if it BURSTS or something?? (Then you're dealing with an emergency appendectomy, rather than a planned one...) Anyway, I really hope you're feeling better soon - take care of YOU!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    I give this week's point to ME! It's early, but Monday, even though I was tired, and even though the pushups come up halfway through 2/A...I pumped out 20! That's a 5 rep increase! Granted, that sets the bar high for next week, but I can do this!

emgel - feel better! Get lots of rest. I agree with Beeps. Take care of yourself, and we'll be here with open arms when get back!

2/B tonight, and I'm ready! I rested yesterday instead of cardio and went to bed early. I was so tired. I'm getting better and better at actually RESTING on rest days, even though it's still not easy. I am going to get cardio in tomorrow before everyone arrives for Thanksgiving because I sure as hell won't be able to do it AFTER we eat! :)
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    emgel-feel better soon! I hope the antibiotics work and you are back at it in no time. Both my husband and I have had emergent appendectomies and the sick before hand is no fun.

I squatted 95 today. which is almost exactly half my current weight. I am so pumped. and my oldest was there with me watching and learning about weight lifting and such. it was fun to have her with me and to explain things to her. also fun to see her little eyes bugout when I told her how much weight I was squatting with.:laugh: Happy thanksgiving y'all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Congrats, April, on the push-up progress! That's a 34% increase, right there! Awesome! I must say that my push-up progress is nowhere near as, um, awesome! I can now do all 3 sets of 10 push-ups from the 4th rung up on the smith machine! I hope I can get to the 3rd rung in a couple weeks and then down to the 2nd rung. 2nd rung would roughly be equivalent to one step on a staircase....so, I'm guessing the 4th rung is roughly equivalent to the 2nd step on a staircase. With any luck, by Jan or Feb I can get them all down to the floor!

gadenni - I read about your squat progress on the "home" thread! AWESOME JOB!! That is an AMAZING thing and what a GREAT WAY to justify weight-training! IT MATTERS!

Great job, ladies!!
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi! Checking in from vacation--was sick all last week and this week I'm in Florida which means no progress. Hmmm maybe ill attempt a wall climb in my hotel room. Or perhaps ill just hit the buffet. Questionable...
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Beeps, change my goal to getting to the gym three times a week. Last week I did not earn my point as I only got there twice and this week looks good so far. I'm loosing my motivation. In fact I feel like I'm getting "sad" again. Not good. I'm also TOM and eating like complete crap which I'm sure is having an effect s well.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Gretchen that's awesome. You are woman. Hear you roar!!!

Megan - hope you feel better!

My NSV today: I added 15 seconds to my plank -- total 75 seconds. Woo! I wasn't even going to try until I realized that I had made it 45 seconds in and wasn't doing too bad (as far as trembling all over - lol). I managed to do 3 sets too!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    mermegan - tough for me to feel "badly" for you, what with vacation last week and Florida this week....so, I'm not feeling too badly for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy your Thanksgiving and go KILL IT next week!

samntha - you have boots. You have straps. Pull yourself up by those boot-straps....get thee to the GYM!

kmsai - holy hannah, 75 sec planks x 3!! AWESOMENESS!!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    km - that's terrific!

I finally increased to 100 for my DLs! Wahoo!
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ok WHAT is ME and NEW?? I am so confused.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    briebear - the acronyms are for the 7-WEEK-CHALLENGE. You are participating (according to my records!).

ME: point goes to "ME" (meaning YOU) if you did the "extra" work you have committed to for the challenge.

NEW: point goes to "NEW" (meaning "Not Enough Work") if you did NOT put in the 'extra' work you have committed to for the challenge.