Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Actually, Stage 1 of NROL4Life has the exercises back at 2 sets of 15 reps. No thank you.

So, I'm doing it up as 3 sets of 12 reps - which already drives me koo-koo. Even at Stage 3 of NROL4Life, the reps get reduced to 10, and you're doing 4 sets of each, but sheesh, I'll be BEGGING to get down to lower reps by then, I figure.

I'm adding in some extra glute-prep work into my NROL4Life work-outs, and probably will add in some arm work.

I'm not sure I ever really "believed" in the Schuler/Alwyn admonishment of specifically doing some "arm" training - I have been doing "some" arm work these last 12 weeks and, frankly, my arms look the BEST they've ever looked!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Update!

He is much better today! They moved him to CCU to actively monitor his heart rate. It became elevated last night, and the doc wanted him more closely monitored. Today he actually was out of bed and standing on his own. He still has an epidural in at the incision site and a pain button, which he only has used 2x. The surgeon is pleased with his progress. But he's in a room with a true crazy man, who rants and tries to get out of bed etc. I finally said something to one of the aides about how unfair it is to my husband's recovery to be in the same room with this nutcase. If the cardiologist clears him, Mike will go back up to finish his recovery on the surgical floor, where he's been for the past week. All in all though he's been steadily improving.

Stage 4 A this morning - I upped all my weights - 45 on the FSPP!!! That's my very best ever! I did 120 sec on 2 planks but only did 2 sets of those damn things. Better than last time, and I'll do better next time! I confess. I'm liking these workouts better than I did last time through.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So glad he is feeling better. And I hope he can get moved away from the crazy person soon! Really awesome on the workout, especially with everything else going on.
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I started stage 1 on Monday, did stage 1 workout B this morning. I'm a little bit confused - quite possibly overthinking things. Just hoping some of you who have been doing NROLFW for a while, might be able to shed some light....

1 - Has everyone increased their calorie intake? I have been working on 1200 plus workout calories. I'm struggling mentally with bringing it up to the 1690 before exercise and 1932 with exercise as suggested in the book.

2 - Cardio - should I do it? I enjoy my cardio and feel that if I don't then my wobbly bits won't disappear. Also with increasing my calorie intake, I'm wanting to work out more to compensate.

My stats are:

Weight: 57.5kg (126.5 pounds) as of 9 Feb
    Height: 158cm (5'2")
    BMI: 22.5 (according to book, but my scales at home say 24)
    Goal: to reduce weight to 52kg (114.4 pounds) - basically I want to be lean. I can see the muscle under my layer of fat and I can feel it - especially when working out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I did up my calories a little bit. But I didn't have to raise them too much because I wasn't at a big calorie deficit to begin with. I haven't had a problem eating the cals, because lifting really makes me hungry! You can still do cardio if you enjoy it. I believe it is Chapter 12 of the book where he talks about additional exercise.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Sue - I'm AMAZED that you went and banged out your work-out! YOU ARE AWESOME - congrats on the FSPP - that's INCREDIBLE!

Terri - you still have fat to lose, but you're kind of in the "last 10 lbs" club. I would increase your calories by only 100 per day, for the time being. If you are "hungry", try increasing by another 100, per day, next week. You might find, given your tiny stature, that 1,300 or 1,400 calories, per day, is PLENTY - if you are still wanting to lose fat. I wouldn't do anymore cardio, frankly. The calorie deficit will take care of your fat loss and the heavy-lifting will tend to the "wobbly bits".
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Sue - I'm AMAZED that you went and banged out your work-out! YOU ARE AWESOME - congrats on the FSPP - that's INCREDIBLE!

Beeps honestly, working and sweating helps! I was really frantic last night after they moved him to CCU. I didn't sleep well and honestly didn't think my workout today would be worth a penny but it pushed it anyway. Helped me destress and I felt awesome when I finished.
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cardio today.... 1 hr 10 mins and 540cals!!! Yay me :) lol

Lifting tomorrow morning then work for 2 days then off for a week! Can't wait :)

Thinking of adding planks to my cardio days since my midsection is my biggest problem... any opininons?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Vicki - way to work! Have fun lifting in the am...me too!

Sue - FSPP is my fave move of stage 2. Congrats on the personal best!

Terri - I try to keep approx 500 cal deficit every day, which is apprx 1500 plus workout cals. I lift and do different cardio. I am losing a little less than a pound a week. You will see people on mfp succeed with different deficits and different workout programs. You need to figure out what you will stick with AND what works for you. Would you have any deficit at all at 1690? (That's assuming all of your cardio, right?) To lose the fat, you need to be at a deficit. You don't have to starve and you don't have to do cardio, but if you enjoy it, go for it, because you can eat more.
  • coachmjfitness11
    Options
    Hi All! Joining soon, currently working with beachbody programs chalene extreme and turbo fire (these programs lost me the first 30 lbs, but i'm ready to challenge my self int a different way!)

I am about halfway done with the book and reading through the workouts trying not to get too confused, haha. The biggest thing for me is this question:
    HOW do you know how much to lift? Trial and error? I'm lifting about 50 lbs on squats/lunges with my clx program (mostly combination moves) and capable of several rounds of push ups....so i'm really uncertain what to use for this program as i am no longer sore from 25 lbs in each hand. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Thanks so much for your advice. I have increased my calorie allowance and I will do some cardio as well. I'm a bit restricted cardio wise due to tendon injuries in my left foot, but I can still use the bikes and cross trainer (no jumping/impact allowed).

I also had a bit of a sticky beak at your profiles and it is great to see some ladies around my age group who lift. Woo Hoo!

Thanks again girls.

coachmjfitnes - I have been lifting for about 6 months now (so I'm not the most qualified), but I would suggest increasing the weights you use now by 5 & 1/2 lbs (I'm a metric girl from Australia, but I think that equates to around 2.5kgs) and see how you go. If you finish your first set easily, then increase the weight for your second set and if you can't complete the first step, then decrease for the second. Hope this helps.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi All! Joining soon, currently working with beachbody programs chalene extreme and turbo fire (these programs lost me the first 30 lbs, but i'm ready to challenge my self int a different way!)

I am about halfway done with the book and reading through the workouts trying not to get too confused, haha. The biggest thing for me is this question:
    HOW do you know how much to lift? Trial and error? I'm lifting about 50 lbs on squats/lunges with my clx program (mostly combination moves) and capable of several rounds of push ups....so i'm really uncertain what to use for this program as i am no longer sore from 25 lbs in each hand. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

We are looking forward to having you join us! Basically, you have lots of opportunity to add weight. Start where you think it might make sense and go up in weight when you can do the planned reps with excellent form.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    @coach - You do what you think you can do for the required repetitions. When you start, it is 15 reps. If that was easy and you feel like you could easily have kept going, then add more weight for the 2nd set. If it is too hard, and you know you aren't going to make it to 15, then stop and lighten it up.

@Terri - I'm very new to lifting, and I'm no spring chicken. But I feel really great just a couple of weeks into this program.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Did my first Stage 4 B work out this morning and I did 3 sets of everything (minus the lateral flexion because I still don't understand it) and that took up my whole gym time! This was the FIRST time EVER that I got zero cardio (even HIIT) in on a workout day - and yet I am exhausted! Those bulgarian split squats were kicking my butt all over the gym! And no matter what my back leg (that is elevated) feels so uncomfortable doing the BSS...o well!

I had a killer cardio day yesterday so I think missing my cardio today is just fine.

Biggest challenge of today: finding time to go to the grocery store! I am out of eggs (o the horror!).

Sue - so glad the hubby is doing better! and you are a BEAST for getting to the gym.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Sue I am glad to see that your husband is recovering nicely. I applaud you for getting your workout in!

I have missed a few days and that means pages of daily chat. :sad: I will never catch up.

The short story in my world is I broke tooth last week and it has been crap ever since with fixing it, not being able to fix it, finding an abcess in a different tooth and trying to deal with a dry socket. it sucks. I have not worked out because of pain and recovery. I will get a good walk in tonight and hope like hell to be lifting again on Friday or Monday at the latest. I have a root canal tomorrow afternoon so we'll see how that all goes before I decide on what I am doing Friday. I can deal with pain but tooth pain is a special hell all its own.

this also means I have been bad at my monthly challenge. hoping to start kicking butt again with my protein soon.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    gadenni, good luck with the root canal! The sounds incredibly unpleasant.

Yesterday I did a pretty intense cardio workout on the spin bike and it was awesome. Today I am finishing up my last workout for Stage 1!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    (((gadenni)))

Welcome to all the new ladies to the chat....

Today, I lift! It's my first "B" work-out in Stage 1 of NROL4Life.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    gadeni - I agree with you that tooth pain on an entirely different scale...best of luck!

lbll2 - great work!!

beeps - help me out...you are always good at the progressions. what about pushups? I am doing inverted pushups (feet on cardio step with 4 risers), but is just using more shoulder and less chest, rather than making your chest work harder.

emgel - sounds like an AWESOME workout!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to catch up with this thread either. Life got in the way this week, I had a day of emotional eating/no logging, and now I'm back on track. Completed another A workout of Stage 6 yesterday and I have DOMS all over again (pretty bad - like worse than Stage 1). Going to run on the treadmill today for a very quick workout.

Welcome to the newbies! I kept my calories around 1550 when I started New Rules and just upped them on lift days. I have basically stayed at a deficit and steadily lost weight. In the beginning I did little to no cardo and STILL lost weight much to my utter amazement. I could really live out the rest of my days with no more cardio... :) I am 5'2" and 42 years old. I also am just a solid gal and cannot live on 1200. Even tried 1350 but that wasn't enough for me. Momma loves to eat!

Sue - glad to hear the news about your hubby and am amazed you are still working out.

I will catch up with everyone in detail soon!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think the best progression for push-ups is to do them with the smith machine. That way, you can raise the bar up (at the beginning), push-up in the full-plank position, and then as you get better, drop the bar down one rung. Then, once you can do all your push-ups at that level, drop it down again....this is how I'm working on my progression.

Your other choice is hundredpushups.com - they'll have a program that is PERFECT for you, lcuconley!