Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    So, yep, my weight is UP 0.4 lbs from a week ago. Alas, that means I'm dumping my cardio (again!). I'll do my long cardio class on Saturday - and I have to teach 2 more Tuesdays in February (just our little office thing), but that's it. I'm only going to lift 3 x per week and keep 1 x cardio per week. Why I messed with what was working for me is BEYOND me!

So stupid.

And, even for the days I "teach" at work, I actually don't have to "do" the exercises - I could just TEACH them!

For whatever reason, if I permit my body to rest/recover between weight-lifting days, the weight comes off. As soon as I put cardio on those days off....I STALL. And, maintenance SUCKS (right now).

PS - i got my "extra" glute work in and I am feeling it! So, that's good. I'll keep the 3 x 10 glute bridges and 3 x 8 (each leg) single leg back extension as a "primer" for the NROL4Life work-outs. AWESOME!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I think the best progression for push-ups is to do them with the smith machine. That way, you can raise the bar up (at the beginning), push-up in the full-plank position, and then as you get better, drop the bar down one rung. Then, once you can do all your push-ups at that level, drop it down again....this is how I'm working on my progression.

Your other choice is hundredpushups.com - they'll have a program that is PERFECT for you, lcuconley!

I totally agree that push-up progression is great on the smith machine, mostly because it is not moving!

so, do you think the answer is just to do more reps? Today I did hands on the ground/feet on a step with 4 risers. I would LOVE to work on doing 100 pushups! hmmm...
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    OMG I am so hungry it's driving me mad. I've eaten way over what I should have today. I really over did it yesterday but right now I could eat another meal. It's driving me mad!
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

I hope everyone had/will have a great workout today. Well I did some cardio this morning. 50 mins on the cross trainer can get tedious, but hey I did it. Can't wait until my foot gets better. At least I can do some treadmill work then.

Gadenni - I hope the root canal goes well. Toothpain is hell!

kmsairam - thanks for the info on your calories. There is so much info out there and differing opinions. Having the "don't eat more than 1200" preached by so many people for so long makes it tough to get your head around being told to eat more. The funny thing is, since I have been eating more I feel so much happier and I actually slept through the night for the first time in months last night. I know it mentions difficulty sleeping in the book somewhere, but I didn't think I fell into that category. But I must admit that I do love my food.

Speaking of which - it's morning tea time....
  • lcuconley
    Options
    OMG I am so hungry it's driving me mad. I've eaten way over what I should have today. I really over did it yesterday but right now I could eat another meal. It's driving me mad!

What calorie regimen are you trying to stick to? What macros are you targeting? What deficit are you going for?

It's not good to be starving 2 days in a row...I think you need to switch things up a bit.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    lcu - how come you have your feet up on a step? Can you just do 3 x 10 push-ups, from the ground, with perfect form? If "yes", then for sure go to hundredpushups.com, pick the program that's right for you, and give it a whirl! THAT WILL BE AWESOME - report back.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Why did I do that? Why did I add back in all that cardio??

Oh, yes...I remember....after my Mexican vacation, I PANICKED at the number I saw on the scale and immediately regimented myself into 4 x weekly cardio along with my 3 x weekly weight-lifting.

So dumb. I mean, it *felt* so super-smart at the time! But, frankly, I should have REALLY thought this thing through.

So, anyway, here I am doing the cardio-bunny routine T/Th/Sat/Sun and, of course, the Venus routine M/W/F. And, WHAT do I have to show for it??

NUTHIN. NOT A FRIGGIN THING. I weigh 147 lbs. That is 0.4 lbs MORE than a week ago. And, frankly, that's a WHOPPING 2 lbs LESS than January 1st, 2013.

So dumb.

What *was* working for me was doing my weight-training 3 x weekly and doing one day of cardio (Saturdays)....I was losing approx. 1 lb per week from Oct - Dec doing THAT.

Forget cardio. Just forget it. It DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. Not that it EVER did....

So, despite the fact I entered into a February 'streak' challenge (i.e. to create a "streak" of how many days, in a row, I could work-out....) cardio is OFFICIALLY OFF THE TABLE.

If you EVER read my posts and I do the "I wonder if I should add back my cardio", just f*cking STOP ME and kick me in the rectum. HARD.

For real.
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Boot warmed up, ready & waiting.

It's amazing how doubts can creep in, put silly ideas in your head and RUIN everything. I'm sure it won't take long for you to get back on track.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    lcu - how come you have your feet up on a step? Can you just do 3 x 10 push-ups, from the ground, with perfect form? If "yes", then for sure go to hundredpushups.com, pick the program that's right for you, and give it a whirl! THAT WILL BE AWESOME - report back.

Feet on the step bcse its harder. Hundred pushup Workout plan printed and ready to go. I start Friday !
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I started Nrol4W on Monday and today was my B workout. I come from doing Strong lifts so I really didnt know where to start. Um Deadlifts? Yeah, I started at 95 and my back is already screaming at me. This was a hard day but I feel really good about it. With my workout and my cardio, I burned 267 cals today! Yay me!

I havent thoroughly read the book but I plan on doing that this week. I would like to comb through their calorie chapter. Right now, I am eating 1600 a day for a 20% cut.

I am 5 1, 130 (weighing in tomorrow) and 28. I havent lost hardly any weight but inches are coming off.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

What calorie regimen are you trying to stick to? What macros are you targeting? What deficit are you going for?

It's not good to be starving 2 days in a row...I think you need to switch things up a bit.

I am trying to stick to roughly what's in the book and not even the version where I'm cutting calories to lose weight. On top of that I'm also trying to make sure I get a little of my FITBIT calories. I walk around a hell of a lot more on my non workout days. So on a work day I'm burning about 2,300 - 2,700 cals that's according to my fitbit. On my days off (gym day) I burn about 17,000 according to my fitbit.
    I try and hit the 40/30/30 but I'm finding really hard because 1) I have a lot of diet chef left over and I can't afford to throw it away 2) I'm having trouble not having my fat be 50% of my daily calories and 3) the last week I've been binging on processed carbs.
    I've got lots of other reasons (excuses) too.....
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm getting quite bored with Stage 1, only a week left to go tho. Will have to book a session with a trainer to make sure my form on the stage 2 moves is correct as they look a lot more complicated.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    re pushups, I have been using the TRX. That's awesome, it really makes you control your core while doing the pushups! My pushups are stronger for it! I took a look at the hundredpushup site. Impressive! I think I might do the squats challenge first.

I want to really clean up my food choices now. I am eating at the cals suggested in the book, but I know many days I'm not making good choices. I like bacon and I have been eating it too often I think. So I am going to restrict that, eat more chicken and more fish, which I think will help reduce my BF#s.

TADA I have a new PR!! 90# on my underhand lat pulldowns. I could only pull 4 of them but I did it!! woohoo! I've been at 75 for a long time, I was afraid to increase that much but that was the only option at my gym! Bit the bullet today, 2 sets at 75, 3rd at 90!

Fingers crossed, Mike might come home today or tomorrow! He still had that low-grade fever and elevated heart rate when we left last night, but they took out all of his paraphenalia - chest tube, epidural and catheter all gone. He has to learn his own pain management now, since the epi is gone. Last night he waited too long. I'm guessing he won't do that again. They are giving him oxycodone - I hate that stuff - but it seemed to work well for him!

Welcome all you new ladies. I love how alive this thread stays! Such good stuff here. Oh and Beeps... quit it! You of all people know what has been working this past year. Quit second guessing yourself!! :heart:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Sue, he'll probably need something to aid constipation, that oxy is bad news that way.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 A and 2 B workout left to do. I am not really inpressed with the increase in weights I have acheived. But they are just numbers right?
    I do feel stronger, I love how I feel after I lift. But the numbers do not make me go WOW. But it takes a lot to make me go WOW. So I will finish this stage with mixed feeling. I am impressed that I have done this, I am impressed that most days I am the only girl in the weight section, I am impressed that I am no longer intimadated in the weight section, in fact I hold my head up high, make eye contact with the men and smile!!!! I am just a little bummed about my weight I am using and that I still can't do a push up.

My goal was to be able to do a real push up at the end of stage 1, this will not happen. I am still using the window sill.
    So I will make that my goal for end of stage 2.

I do have high hopes for my measurements next week. I think I have lost on my waist and mybe my thighs.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Rachie, I'm still early on, and I have been thinking about the amount of weights, impressed with the numbers I see here and wondering if I will ever reach those. I have been embarrassed to post the amounts I'm lifting. But I have to remember the important thing is to not injure myself trying to do too much, and, the fact that I started at a lower level fitness than other people, and my age is certainly another factor. So the only comparison I should be doing is with myself. I'm pretty certain I won't make the same kind of gains that other people do, and I'm okay with that. Just the fact that I feel so much better, and eventually I will start looking better too, that's the reward.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Question for the group: I have been posting my lifting in the Stage 1 thread. Should I not do that? Does it come off as being too competitive? I was part of a group like this on caloriecount.com and everyone posted.

I agree with all of the positive thoughts that deksgrl and rachie posted and don't want to be "part of the problem"!

Sue - congrats on your PR on the lat pulldown...and glad your hubby is making progress. deksgrl is right about the constipation...there are good natural options that he should start on sooner rather than later...before there is an apparent problem. Guys will ignore that kind of thing FOREVER.

livingdead - sounds like we will be movin to stage 2 at about the same time.

randinek - congrats on 1B1...make sure to concentrate on form in the beginning. stronglifts did not have deadlifts?

thankyou - you will see that people succeed on all different types of macro breakdowns. it is possible that you have been binging on bad-for-you carbs because you are not allowing yourself enough within your prescribed diet. I am working on 50/25/25 and go over on my fat calories almost every day!
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Newb here with questions. I just finished week one and start week two tomorrow. To determine the weight I'm lifting I have a question...how much does the bar weigh?
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the positive thoughts that deksgrl and rachie posted and don't want to be "part of the problem"!

You are not part of my problem, I like seeing other peoples results. My problem is in my head. Please do not stop posting your lifting.
    Thank you for thinking of this, but honestly, please don't stop because of other peoples woes and worries!!!
  • deksgrl
    Options

You are not part of my problem, I like seeing other peoples results. My problem is in my head. Please do not stop posting your lifting.
    Thank you for thinking of this, but honestly, please don't stop because of other peoples woes and worries!!!

^^This. Also, when you post your numbers, it does help challenge me enough so I don't get scared when I start to think this weight is too easy but am nervous about upping it. The fact that others are doing way more makes me feel like I can do a little more.
    Newb here with questions. I just finished week one and start week two tomorrow. To determine the weight I'm lifting I have a question...how much does the bar weigh?

Depends on the type of bar. If it is an Olympic bar, it weighs 45 pounds. But not all bars used are Olympic and would weigh less. I'm not sure what the others weigh, I just wrote "bar" on my log sheet.