Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    ...this thread

Alright, ladies....anything nutrition-related, strength-related, or "other"

POST HERE!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I am completing my month-end progress report. Photos are done. Measurements are done. Scale will be done when I go lift at the gym in a few hours.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be on vacation for 3 weeks, starting a week from today. I do have some goals to get in some kind of workout most days, but I don't know that I will be able to log in here and report, so don't put me on the official roster. I'll jump in with you in April when I start Stage 2.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Crap, I didn't get the chance to jump on and give you my streak results for this week. I was 5 this week.

Beeps, hopefully you were happy with your progress this month.

My goal this month is to get 3 full strength workouts in a week. I'm planning to get my first Supercharged workout in today, but totally forgot DH may be stuck at the hospital all night. Not sure I want to try the first workout with my kids there.

Deksgrl, 3 weeks of vacation sounds heavenly! Enjoy!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Beeps - thanks for your motivational support!!

Deks - goin' someplace warm?

Cowgirl - is your profile pic you?!? you need to change your screen name!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Yes indeed, as far south as I can drive without leaving the country.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    So after my little rant, the nurse came and with her came a group leader who has done changes many many times. She did the change but also showed this new nurse what she was doing any why. Mike's wound looks good but it's healing wonky. The top is healing over the bottom, so the leader nurse had me call his office to let him know what it was doing. He was in surgery but his off. mgr got in touch with him. The tissue is all very healthy looking but the idea of the vac is to keep the top open so the bottom of the wound will heal first. I'm guessing he will open up the area that has healed up so the bottom will be able to heal.

Congrats everyone on doing well on the challenge! Even if we didn't get it all exactly right, we all met the challenge head on and did our best! I remember so many times in other sites joining a challenge and quitting before the week was out.

Deksgrl, I know you're going to have some serious fun with 3 weeks off! Too cool!

Cowgirl yup you need to change your name, just like LCU says!

Beeps you are awesome. Love that you are doing it no matter what! Rock on!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

Yes indeed, as far south as I can drive without leaving the country.

That sounds amazing.

Thanks for the compliment, Sue and lcuconley. I think the workout clothes in the pic do a good job of smoothing out extra chub:) I will probably always be "chubbycowgirl". It's a good reminder to never go there again.

Sue, hopefully they can get things sorted out without any additional pain or issues for Mike.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I survived S2A2 yesterday, even though the gym was so warm, and I was quite tired. Went to bed at about 9:30pm and although I had to get up to feed and drug (anti-inflammatories for her limpy leg) the kitty, I basically got 12 hours of much needed sleep.

I still hate the step ups in Stage 2. I hope I will get better at them/learn to not hate them so much.

lcuconley: Whole30 from http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

"Whole9’s original program designed to change your life in 30 days. Think of it as a short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, calm systemic inflammation and put an end to unhealthy cravings, habits, and relationships with food. Since 2009, thousands of people have used our program as a jump-start to changing the way they eat for the rest of their lives."

Basically I am committing to eating strictly "paleo" for 30 days (might have to do longer). I know I am not meant to weigh during the Whole30 because they want to keep the focus off weight loss, but I am taking part in a monthly weigh in challenge with a facebook group. I had gained during this month (1.6kg) but I managed to bring it down to a gain of only 400gm by this months weigh in date. I shall not be weighing except for my other challenge at the end of March/start of April, and I plan to get my measurements and fat percentage done by my PT just before Easter (the end of this month) which should have seen me 30 days on Whole30 (day 4 today).

Interestingly, following the Whole30 meal template, I am finding it easy enough to hit my calorie goal of 1700 daily. Will have to refigure my TDEE for next week as I am taking a week off lifting - but might do some more bike riding since I will have time.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Mcbell - keep us posted on how the Whole30 is going for you!

Sue -hang in there!

Yesterday I did 2A2. Man, was it an awesome workout. I also restarted 100 push-ups, with a focus on nose to the ground every time. I did 17/14/7/7/11.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    i wrote a great response to someone but it didn't roll over with the thread :(
  • samntha14
    Options
    Samantha - 65 lame pounds.... hahaha, my heaviest lift is about that. Zumba after lifting? Oh, no, the lifting itself makes me exhausted, if I do it during the day I end up taking a nap, or if I do it in the evening then its early to bed. I think I am eating plenty so I guess that means I'm just old. LOL! I am amazed at what I have been able to do so far, feel great, starting to see my body change, looking forward to more!

65 can be discouraging when you know you can DOUBLE that on a back squat. HOwever, this time last year I was doing BW exercises and falling asleep as soon as I got home from my 30-40 minutes of lifting. It's amazing how much more energy and stamina I have now compared to then. I'm also happier more even tempered, and I handle stress better,

Today was an interesting weigh in. At the end of January, after doing a month of cardio and maintain lower calorie goals to allow my wrist to heal, I was up a lb. Two weeks of heavy lifting and I am down that lb and the an additional .6. I LOVE LIFTING!!! Even better though. My husband refers to me as his beautiful wife. In the past it was always said facetiously, but now he says i with true meaning and even better is that I believe. I never put much stock in appearances before mostly because I never believed I had them (low self-esteem due to traumatic child-hood). But now when I look I see a real pretty lady and when I look at old pictures I realize how stupid I was.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Yea Sam!!!! I haven't had that kind of weight loss, but I have lost the initial pounds I put on when I started lifting and eating back most of my exercise calories. I am only up 2 lbs since I started lifting heavy but I'm so much stronger and feeling much much better in general.

My bug is the difference between my back squats and FSPP. I broke my collar bone in a motorcycle accident nearly 10 years ago. My shoulders are so weak! My husband says I have no wings :grumble: When I finished Stage 1 I could easily squat 85 and I think my PR was 100. FSPPs are 35. I can get a few out with 45 but not even a whole set which frustrates me to no end, since it's not the squat but the press that holds me back. My trainer is putting together a workout of upper body/shoulder exercises to help me get stronger.

Yesterday, I went to the gym, did a brief warm up, 40 min of upper body lifting and then 60 min of spinning. My first ever spin class and I loved it! No, I didn't "crank it up" as much as most of the others did I'm sure but I challenged myself for sure. The music was awesome, and the leader was fun! I will do that again!

Today, I dont' know. I'm feeling worn out and worried. I want my husband to be healthy again and everytime we turn around there seems to be a problem. I don't want to cry or show my worry around him, but I have to tell you, I am feeling so anxious. I just want this to be all over and for him to be the strong active guy he usually is. Thankfully, so far, the infection has stayed away, his temp is normal, but today was the last day of his antibiotics. Tomorrow a nurse comes to change the wound vac again - the same nurse but with another supervisor (who will actually do the change). I can't imagine how my husband feels - he talks but I know he isn't revealing everything anymore than I am.
  • samntha14
    Options
    the muscles you use for the push press are the smaller ones in your arms and sholders. When you back squat you are mainly using your legs, quads and hams. Very different exercises using very different muscles. You'll find that your max push press is about half of your back squat. Frankly mine never got above 65 because like you I have weak shoulders...but they look awesome :laugh:

I hope Mike heals quick. I know how you feel. When my husband was in trauma I would leave the room while he was sleeping, have my crying jag, then come back later. I never cried in front of him. I figured he had enough to worry about. I hope the exercise is helping some. It can be a great stress reliever. You really pounded it out this week.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Sam that's exactly what I have been doing. When he's asleep or when I'm out, especially while I'm traveling from home to wherever, I let my defenses down and cry my eyes out.

Oh I would so love to get my press up to 65! Seems like it's taking forever, though I checked and when I started S1 my presses were with 10# so I guess I've improved.

Will spring PLEASE hurry! I'm so sick of cold.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sue, I'm sending you a virtual hug! I can't imagine how hard it is for you. You're still in my prayers. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the spin class.

Sam, you nearly made me cry with your thoughts about how lifting has changed your confidence. I can relate to that. Before started lifting i was convinced i would always be the chunky mom with a baby gut. I don't feel that way anymore. Slowly but surely I will make my body what it should be.

I never see myself getting much above 65lbs on the FSPP either. Maybe after a few more years when I can build those shoulder muscles, but not while I'm cutting....
  • samntha14
    Options
    Right on Cowgirl!!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Sam and Sue - even the front squat is harder than the back squat...I just love pushing that weight overhead, even though its hard.

Sue - I am sure your husband will get stronger every day...he's been through a lot! Glad you enjoyed spin.

So, today I played soccer (we won!). Than I rewarded my hardworking body with a massage...wish it could have been twice as long!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    So, today I played soccer (we won!). Than I rewarded my hardworking body with a massage...wish it could have been twice as long!

Well done! And also very jealous. I haven't had a massage in ages.

My back aches today but then I know my form was horribly off on my deadlifts yesterday. Combination of not feeling quite right, a full weight room (that made me feel ultra intimated and want to not go in there at all) and some bad advice on another forum. Still that was the last workout of Stage One. So time to relax and focus on Stage Two.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Made it back to lifting today! S4A2 - only had time for 2 sets of everything, but at least I did it! I have been running a lot more lately though since I have a 10 miler in a month, so I am a tad cardio heavy right now. 2 days a week lifting is my new goal. I would rather it be 3 but that doesn't always work out well for me.

Now I am sitting at my desk starving as I haven't eaten since my 5am protein shake - but I am too lazy to go out into the cold and get some breakfast.

Cowgirl - thanks for posting your result pics! you look amazing!