Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Completed the first week of half training. It was interesting being back at it but I found my 5K pace to be greatly improved and my ability to sustain sprints for longer periods of time has improved as well. I was a bit tired on my not so long "long" run yesterday but it wasn't terrible. So far, I don't need an off day since I am breaking up the runs with lifting MWF.

I will be close to finishing up Stage 2 this week. I hate the step ups. I can't seem to get above 30# dumbells because my grip sucks and my arms get more sore than anything else. I'm looking into purchasing some VersaGrips and see if that helps.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - congrats on your first week of HM training. Good luck with the balancing!

Emgel - good job getting two sets in! its so easy to say "skip the workout" if you don't have time to do the whole thing...awesome!

venom - sorry your back hurts. are you going to take a break before stage 2?
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - what does your half training look like? I have three races coming up (April, May, June) and then am aiming to do my next half in September. Right now all I can seem to fit in is two 3-4 mile runs a week and a long run (6+ miles as the race gets closer) on the weekends. This is less running to train for races than I have done in the past so just wondering what your balance looks like!

Also, clarification question: everyone goes up on their toes on the FSPP yes?
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Em, for me it is less by a day and a bit less with the mileage. With my schedule during the week I really can't afford to run more than 3-4 miles mid week. I took a plan I had followed before (Hal's intermediate) and just rearranged it to what I wanted to focus on and to what is more doable for me.

For instance, T/W/Th are all different variations (easy, tempo, 400m sprints). I cut out the "easy" run and swapped it for tempo on Tuesday and then Thursday I will do the 400m sprints (starts from 5 x 400 and increases just about weekly). Saturdays are anywhere from 3-5 miles and Sundays are long runs. It's definitely way fewer miles than I'd like to run but I like doing the tempo and sprints because I think that helps me more than adding a few extra miles per week.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I haven't posted here before, but I'm on workout 5B of stage one (and absolutely loving lifting,) and today I deadlifted 105lbs! I'm so excited! I started with just the bar and increased every set that I could. My husband is really supportive but not a weights guy and he has no idea how awesome this is, so I just had to post with people who could understand. Thanks and sorry making you listen to me brag...
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I haven't posted here before, but I'm on workout 5B of stage one (and absolutely loving lifting,) and today I deadlifted 105lbs! I'm so excited! I started with just the bar and increased every set that I could. My husband is really supportive but not a weights guy and he has no idea how awesome this is, so I just had to post with people who could understand. Thanks and sorry making you listen to me brag...

Welcome to the board and great work!! Braking 100 lbs. is very exciting! :smile:
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well today is my first day of my rest week - so so tired (I think it is a combo of actually exerting myself at the gym, and changing my diet). Hope I come back next week with heaps of energy and lifting gains! :o)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

Hitting 100lbs is no small feat! Way to go!

mcbell, I normally feel better and stronger after a rest week. Even when I took a whole month off, I was able to up my weights immediately. You body needs some downtime now and then to repair!

I did my second workout of Supercharged today. It is a really great workout and the format is actually a little better than NROL4W, IMHO.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

Welcome to the board and great work!! Braking 100 lbs. is very exciting! :smile:
    Second that! I just got my DL back up to 85 after time off. so I'm very happy. I'm right behind you lol
    Cowgirl (because I hate calling you chubby) I'm so happy you like supercharged. I think I going to get on that. I just hate paying full price for hardcover lol Then again I killed my other two books. I used the so much the binding is falling apart :laugh:
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi all - I did workout 2B2 this am. Felt OK, but I find stage 2 harder to advance with the weights. Did the intervals at the end...definitely a good "finisher"! Yesterday I took the day off, as I was SO exhausted Sunday. Today, I thought about sleeping in, but am glad I didn't, because I feel great now!
    tessa - congrats on breaking 100!! I can totally relate on the hubby not "getting it"! Keep us posted on your continued progress!

LB2LL - sounds like you have a good running plan. I agree that tempo and sprints are an important part of the training.

emgel - if everyone is not going up on their toes, they should be!!! Thanks for the FSPP reminder.

mcbell - ENJOY your break. I agree with cowgirl...you are very likely to come back stronger than ever!

cowgirl - I am only in stage two, but I am already looking forward to supercharged!!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This morning I did Stage 2 B2.
    I like the A workout better, however I do enjoy running for interval training - even though I nearly died!!!!!

Deadlifts and pull downs I am working on increasing weights as my form is fine. The rest, I am working on form instead of increasing weights. I know by next wokout I will increase weights on the lunges - all the lunges they have us do.

My high point of my workout - in the shower this morning, I couldn't wash my hair, my arms hurt and were weak. I can't believe I think of this as a high point, but I do. It made me feel great.

Oh, and I did manage to wash my stinky hair, I'm just being dramatic today.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    I realized now that I'm finishing up Stage 2 that I didn't do the interval training... whoops! I think it's okay since I am essentially doing that on other days of the week.

Yesterday was my last A workout of Stage 2. Today will be a running day.

Question on Stage 3: (I posted this on a Stage 3 thread) ... when it says to choose one of the starred workouts did you...

1. Choose 1?
    2. Do both anyways?
    3. Switch between both for subsequent workouts?
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    How low should you go when squatting? I was told today I am not going low enough. It felt a lot harder when I went low but I'm nervous I will lose form going low. Thoughts?
  • lcuconley
    Options
    tara - you are right that it gets harder the lower you go! you should be going down until your thighs are at least parallel with the ground, or a bit lower.

LB2LL - I don't like those lateral flexions at all. I just go over to the thing where you stand at a 45 degree angle and lift a 25 pound plate using my sides. I think, though, that they give you 3 options and the 3rd is the hardest, so you have to pick the one you can do. Congrats that you are just one workout away from stage 3!!

Rachie - I know exactly what you mean on the hairwashing! congrats on really pushing yourself!!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Tara, if you are worried about it and your form you could always try a variation of box squats as a warmup (using the touch and go technique without completely sitting). I've heard that helps a lot of people nail down form.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    How low should you go when squatting? I was told today I am not going low enough. It felt a lot harder when I went low but I'm nervous I will lose form going low. Thoughts?
    Your thighs should be parallel or slightly lower. It will get harder the lower you go. Lighten the weight so you can maintain form.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Tara, definitely keep those weights light enough that you go parallel to the floor. Try Youtubing some videos on form. It is really easy to have bad form on squats.

Lol at being glad you can't wash you hair! I love that feeling too.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Yesterday was a running day and that means today is lifting! I will be doing the last workout of Stage 2. Holy Moly that went by quick! Not as many/much of gains as I would like but there still is improvement. I am still at my max for step ups but the last one I did for workout A wasn't as terrible using 30# dumbells as it had been all of the times before.
  • Shtallionchick14
    Shtallionchick14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd join in on the NROL4W fun..

I'm Ashley and I'm on State 1, Workout B 5 today.

Favorite part: My shoulders are getting so much stronger - noticed this when I did a plank for fun the other day.
    Least favorite part: Step ups! I used to hate lunges... but step ups are like 6 times worse.

Anyways, I'm losing some weight and definitely feel like I'm tightening up. I adore lifting.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    stupid stupid fake snowstorm. I am in the DC area which completely shut down today (including my office) so I didn't go to the gym (did some cardio at home though, I have an elliptical, too nasty out to even consider running) so I didn't get to do Stage 4B2 - at this rate (with the two weeks I took off) I will never finish Stage 4! My next gym/lifting day is Monday. Sigh. at least I worked out today, and working from home let me make a really yummy and healthy breakfast!

Keep lifting hard ladies!