Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have some catching up to do :)

I have been MIA since this weekend and yesterday were just crazy. I need to make it a goal of mine to log in more often. My race was on Sunday and I was doing AMAZING until 2/3 of the way in and I got a terrible cramp across my rib cage. That sucked a lot. I somehow managed to rally and was able to sprint through the finish line. My time was 53 minutes and some change. I wish I had never got that cramp because I would have loved to see what my time would have been. but I had to seriously cut down on my pace for about a mile. Oh well. It was fun and that was still a good time so I am happy :)

Yesterday I started up Stage 3 again. I stumbled through 3 of the workouts last month because I kept missing days, etc. so I want a fresh start to do it thoroughly. I'm a bit sore today but it felt really good to get back into it. Today will be a 3-4 mile run.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - glad to hear that you were happy with your race results...with all of the injuries/illnesses leading up to the race, its great that you were able to finish strong! Welcome back to lifting!

kmsai - *sigh* Italy...

Ralph - I will friend you so you can see my diary. I almost always go over my 25g goal for fiber. whole grains and veggies!!! I can totally relate to the "working hard...let's see the results" mindset.

samantha - hope you got some good *couch time* with hubby!

frat - hope you are feeling better!!

manic - glad your sorness is gone...time to HIT IT!!

Beeps - I don't know strong curves...look forward to hearing more!
    Today I did a sprint work out at the high school track. I am going to try to do this a couple of times a week while I wait for the outdoor soccer season to start.

I am questionless today...anybody have a good one to throw out?

Hope everybody has a HEALTHY day!!!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll offer a QOTD: what is your favorite lift?

Mine is actually the bulgarian split squat...it makes me feel bad *kitten* lol and like I am doing something to lift my butt (I have a Kim Kardashianesque backside)

My hip is SO much better today!! The doctor inserts a needle into the muscle (which causes the spasm to release) and then injects a local anesthetic which helps with the pain. I was going to do a nice light cardio workout on the elliptical this morning, but the elliptical is in the guest room and I have someone staying with me this week and he chose not to get up for his morning meeting... bummer! I will do my cardio tomorrow! I am not lifting again until Monday so I don't risk aggravating my hip.

Km - what did the hubby do???

LB2LL - congrats on finishing the race! finishing = winning!

Rachie - I am with you. I have actually decided to start Stronglifts on Monday because I think I can fit it in and also do my interval runs at the gym. I am officially in race season now and just can't afford to not run at least 3 days a week. It will be interesting to see how another lifting program compares!

Happy Tuesday all!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Hmm, I never thought about switching up the NROL days to accommodate running but Emgel, your post reminds me that I should probably do it. I think the whole reason I was battling with issues was because I was lifting a bit much for the running I needed to do. Hmmm. Maybe I will try and do a Tu/Th schedule with the lifts so I can run as well.

Question: Will lifting only 2x/week vs 3x/week show different results? I'm sure my results will be a little wonky since I am doing a lot more cardio than is recommended. Oh, and by results, I mean definition/strength not necessarily in it for losing weight, though a couple vanity pounds lost would be nice.

QOTD: OB squats. I love them. Oh, and the one armed snatch.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts :)

I am seriously contemplating running! My body feels so old. I am out of shape. My knees hurt and the pounding on the asphalt kills me but I really want to do this. Surely it will make me feel better, ya think?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,955 Member
    Options
    HERE'S THE RESULTS OF WEEK 1 OF STAR CHALLENGE:

Date: Apr. 8, 2013
    Handle of Participant Week 1

Beeps 2011 SILV *
    emgel9 SILV *
    lcuconley BRZE *
    chubbycowgirl PLAT *
    fratgirl713 PLAT *
    jcjsjones
    suelegal BRZE *
    mcbellnz
    luvmy4sps PASS
    samntha14 PLAT *

(2 women didn't report in. samntha, I don't have what your weekly alotted calories are - so if you could report that, it would be awesome!)

PLAT = PLATINUM (you ate less than your weekly alotted)
    GOLD = you ate your alotted calories
    SILV = SILVER -you ate 1 - 500 MORE than your weekly alotted
    BRZE = BRONZE = you ate 501 - 1,000 MORE than your weekly alotted
  • lcuconley
    Options
    beeps - wow...here is to doing better this week!

manic - yes! run! take it slow at first. build up your distance. don't be afraid to stop and walk.

LB2LL - I think that 50% more lifting has to result in materially better outcomes. However, I will take that, since other forms of fitness are important to me.

emgel - glad your hip is better. wow, BSS is your fave? I guess I would put in the "love to hate" category!

my favorite lift is the front squat push press.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm partial to shoulder work myself.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    QOTD definitely SLDLs They always work for me!

I just looked at Strong Curves on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642
    Interesting!

Yesterday was nuts, I didn't eat enough, and I might as well have stayed awake - I was up at least 5 times during the night. My workout today SUCKED! I had nothing, absolutely nothing. I struggled through most of it, even did 1 120 sec plank but that's all I could do. It was starting to make my stomach queasy. If I feel better this evening, I'll do the BWM, but I think I'll probably just go to bed.

Em, hope that muscle spasm really eases! I often get spasms in my eyelid and it makes me nuts! I can't imagine having one in my hip area! Yuck!

Mary, funny you would say this about running. I'm adding an extra day at the gym and I think I'm going to do a walk/run sequence to start. If I like it I'll continue, if not, I'll try something else. MANY years ago I used to run 5 daily. But it's been many years!

LB, if you are lifting fewer times per week, you probably won't gain strength as quickly as you would lifting 3x per week.

Congrats to you Platinum ladies! I'll be that next week!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Sue, at least you were able to do something! I hate days when I feel like I might as well have stayed home but they key is you pushed yourself so congrats on that.

Yeah, I realize I probably wont get the same out of NROL if I push it back to 2x/week. I already have big racing goals this summer so I might just cut back on lifting for the warmer months and then when it's winter and I hate running in the cold/treadmill I will bounce back to 3x/week. I LOVE this program but I think I need to tweak it a bit in order to accomplish some of my other goals.
  • fratgirl713
    Options
    Hello girls!

First of all congratulations to all the runners out there. Hard work pays off.

I am hoping to get back to the grind tonight and tomorrow to make up for lost time. Sometimes it seems like one step forwardand two steps back.

Keep us up to date with the strong lifting Rachie.

Beeps, I will have to check out this curve thing.

QOTD: I like squats and step ups.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    tired. Blah!! Going back to read while my eyes still work. HAppy lifting ladies!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm with Mary on this one: DEADLIFTS BABY! I feel quite bada$$ when I do them.

Today was a rest day, but I eeked out a 2.5 mile run yesterday (day after my long run even!) and even some walking last night. Tomorrow is lifting and my HIIT. Love me some HIIT.

LB - Congrats on finishing! That sounds like a great time to me. I'm glad you were able to overcome the cramp and finish strong. Woot woot! I got best results lifting 3X week, but I was doing little to no cardio. When I started training for the half marathon, I dropped it to 2X/week.

Emgel - glad your hip is feeling better. But that injection sounds scary (as in ouch). My hubby was just doing annoying husband things like being a slob..he was seriously on my nerves the other night. lol.

lcu - details on the sprint workout please. :) I love sprints. We have a high school nearby and my mom lives near a track. I'd love to do that. .

Sue - Sorry you didn't get a good rest last night. May not have been the greatest workout, but it was a workout and calories WERE burned. :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I have been super bad about posting here, but I'll give it a go:

Sam - congrats on the size 6! How exciting! I agree about adding in some cardio activity. I am in that 40+ plus crowd, and while I don't do any specific cardio on off days, I do focus on staying active and walking. I'ts been hard, because the weather has been terrible here, but I know once it warms up there will be lots of walks, playing at the park and bike rides with the kids.

Rachie - I'm glad you came up with a plan to make changes that work best for you and your family. NROL4W will always be there if you ever want to go back to it. Sounds like you're going to make some great changes to your diet as well.

Sue - hope you got your bike ride in. I am way too chicken to do BB step-ups.

Cowgirl - Wow you are busy! Hope you enjoyed your wild turkey.

deksrl - hope day 1 of Stage 2 goes well.

lcuconley - 5am is so early. I've tried getting up early and going to the gym but it's been a fail every single time. I would need to be home by 6am for my older two kids, and getting up at 4:15ish is just way too early.

beeps - congrats on getting so close!

emgel9 - hope you get continued relief on your hip! Glad to hear it wasn't anything major. Don't have any input on changing things up, but hope you figure out something that works for you!

QOTD - favorite dessert? I don't know, I love so many. Tiramisu cake maybe? As far as a trip, I have no idea. There are so many places I haven't been. Toss up between New Zealand, the Scandinavian countries and many parts of Canada.

Today I will be doing 1B6. Stage one is going great, and so far have been really happy with my results. I was really hoping to hit 100# for my squat and 135# for my deadlift, so we shall see. I never took before pictures, and now I'm really bummed about that.
    I second this motion

I want to say the Indian food was great, I gave my left-overs to my cousin. Thanks for the kudos on the new look. Nobody at work said a freaking word, not even the kids :(.

Major Kudos to the runners. Better you than me.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Morning!

I did an easy run last night and tonight will be 8x400 sprints.

Km, I think I'm going to drop it down to 2x/week. It's not ideal but I have a lot of potential races in the next few months so I want to focus on running. I'm bummed because I love lifting but I think this is for the best. After race season I can just bump it back up to 3x/week.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Did 3A4 this am. Yea, one more workout in stage 3!! Let me tell you, lifting Monday, sprinting yesterday, and lifting again today was a tough combo. Need to spread out the lifting a sprint workouts more. That being said, I upped most of my weight, or at least my reps, which is cool!

kmsai - here is what I did yesterday
    300s: 50x6 2 sets
    suicide: 4 sets
    30-30s (sprint jog 30s): 4 cycles, 2 sets
    100 yd dash: 3x (planning more, but legs started feeling tweaky, so I stopped. next time!)

LB2LL - have fun tonight!

ok QUESTION of the Day: What is your favorite band/artist?

I have to admit that Nickleback is awesome to workout to...
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Lcu, congrats on the strength gains! Also, that sounds like a killer running workout!

QOTD: Favorite artist is tough. I love so many. Right now I'd have to go with Rihanna because of her song "Stay." I just love it.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    LB2LL - the best workout is *always* the one you'll do....so, if running is your pleasure right now, I SAY "GO FOR IT".

My favourite band is and always will be INXS.

Today, I lift! Good thing....I'm still experiencing some DOMs from Monday's session and I'd like it to move along on its merry way...
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Icuconely, wow! You're really getting the workouts in. Good for you!

LB2LL, I think you will still have great results with 2X week. Especially since you are running so much. I have had many periods that I was only lifting 2X week and I still had great gains.

Sam, I can't believe no one noticed your new look! I say it again, you are looking HOT!

Today is not my "official" weigh in day for the week, but I hopped on the scale because TOM is coming soon and I wanted to see that LOWER number before the bloat starts. I am now 1 lb away from my initial 20lb goal. That's really hard for me to believe!
    KEEP LIFTING LADIES!!!!

QOTD: I am really weird. My favorite bands are The Dixie Chicks and The Isaacs (Bluegrass Gospel group).
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hey chubby:

1. what will you do to celebrate getting to your "original" goal of <20 lbs??
    2. what is your new scale-loss goal?