Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would share my happiness.

While doing lunges with 17.5 pounds in each hand, ladies were smiling and cheering me on. I think I impressed them. It really made me feel good. AND my 18 year old daughter, who had 8 pounds in each hand (that's where I started too), said, "how do you do that?" I replied, "practice, baby practice."

Awesome! My lunges were killer today and I only had 10 in each hand. Whew! I thought about trying 15 on my second set but decided against it :wink:

Question: do you do your lunges in one place or do you walk them across the room? Today I tried them walking across the room and they were a different kind of workout. I liked it better I think.

I do both. No other reason than I get bored standing there.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks Beeps and Manic!
    I'll do some of both to mix it up. Lunges are a tough one for me so being able to make a choice might help me mentally overcome it every time!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    Helga, there's a "10-week challenge" thread, here....come check it out!

forlife, manic, I think "mixing it up" is quite fine. I'd like to hear how it's going for you....so, keep posting on whether you are seeing the results you want!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Last Stage 4 Workout today!! Woo Hoo!

MANIC - That's AWESOME!! You go girl!

Beeps... so sorry about your injury, and your frustrations. I'd like to check out your 10 week challenge thread. I dropped out of the one I was doing (feeling like a loser). But they were doing crazy cardio workouts and it's just not what I'm after in my fitness goals right now.

That is very interesting about the difference in muscle workout between static and walking lunges. Personally, walking lunges are MUCH easier for me. I struggle to step back up in the static lunges. Easier for me to move my back leg up. I've been doing the static because they are harder for me. But maybe I should do walking since they work more muscles evenly?

Sam - I have always done my lifting barefoot, or in socks. Just easier for me. Of course, I'm at home anyway, and I hate wearing shoes in general. LOL. The other stages DO go much quicker. Can't believe I'm getting ready to start 5.

Gill - good to see you here. :smile:
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Today was my last official stage 1 workout!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    DOMS today... But I can still walk alright. Heading to the gym tonight for 1B. :smile: Ready to go now.... Work is BBBBOOOORRRRIIINNNGGGG :yawn:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    birdy, how did your last Stage 4 work-out go?? (I've got mine, tomorrow.)

cander - a good work-out will get you out of boring-work mode - good for you!!

Jessica - are you doing the AMRAPS at the end of Stage 1? Are you taking a break before doing Stage 2??

I have tentatively decided to take a week's break between Stage 4 and Stage 5. Tentatively. Meaning: if I'm *too* itchy, by Monday, to stick with my plan, then I'll just go back to lifting. But, if I can, I'd like to take a breather, fit in some cardio, see if my body appreciates the "rest".
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    birdy, how did your last Stage 4 work-out go?? (I've got mine, tomorrow.)

cander - a good work-out will get you out of boring-work mode - good for you!!

Jessica - are you doing the AMRAPS at the end of Stage 1? Are you taking a break before doing Stage 2??

I have tentatively decided to take a week's break between Stage 4 and Stage 5. Tentatively. Meaning: if I'm *too* itchy, by Monday, to stick with my plan, then I'll just go back to lifting. But, if I can, I'd like to take a breather, fit in some cardio, see if my body appreciates the "rest".

I haven't really thought too much about the AMRAPS. I probably won't do them. I don't really see any reason to. I know I've come a long way. I'm planning to take next week off. I'll see how that goes. Lol! As long as I have the energy, it's hard to stay away. Plus my new power rack arrived today. :-D

How's the injury?
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to share my experience this morning with some like-minded gals...
    I am in Stage One. On Thursday mornings I run with a buddy and then hit the gym afterwards. Last week, I had an awesome workout even though I had just run 3 miles. Today? Not so much. It was HORRIBLE. I had to go lighter on everything in 5B. Deadlifts were a joke. I ended up with just the bar. It was kind of a smack in the face because I thought that I was really hitting stride. Anyone else have that happen? You just assume that your next workout will be better or at least equal to your last and when it STINKS it can really be disappointing.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    austelle - I think EVERYONE either has had, or will have, a day like you are describing...I've had quite a few!!

Jessica - injury is healing. I skipped ALL work-outs, today, stopped logging my calories, ate vietnamese food (salty!) for lunch and WHAM, got my period this afternoon....lol. So, it's a TOTAL write-off of a day and I'll hope for better things tomorrow.

I'll finish Stage 4 tomorrow and I HOPE I kill it - and then I'm taking a "rest" week. I need to re-group for a GREAT MAY!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Austelle I know exactly what you're talking about. Before NROL I was doing some basic strength training and I would follow it with a class. i even did the first week of heavy lifting, but week 2... I almost had to quit the class. I brought my intensity down to zero and didn't do any of the lunges or squats in the routine. I no longer push it like that LOL

I did 2A4 last night. Can't believe I only have one workout for stage 2 left. I felt awesome and increased my weights as much as I could to finish it off. Put my cruddy broken sneakers back on for this one. I need to grow a bare and just kick the shoes off. I guess it will be like walking into the "man" section the first time. Now I run the place LOL JK Also having a pretty good week diet wise. One spike day but the other days were low enough were it more than balances out and then some.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Austelle-- I had the same thing happen to me, right about the same place. It was 5A, I think. And then afterward, I made great improvement in my weight. Hang in there.

Beeps-- ugh! Hope next week goes much better! At least you'll have TOM out of the way!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Austelle, same thing here. I can't remember if I ended up taking a 2 day break or not. I did break through it the next workout and was back up to previous weights.

Not sure what I did differently this workout , other than increasing lunges and dead lifts 5 lbs, because my boo-tay and thighs have that ache. Nothing bad just feeling that workout. Good thing, right ? :tongue:

I am excited to start Stage 2 on May 14th. Tomorrow I plan on doing a combo of Stage 1 workout A & B. Probably 2 sets of each and using starting weights as a warm up instead of the AMRAP. That will give me a full week of Cardio and hopefully losing some weight/fat.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed any psychological changes since starting the program? I certainly have, but I'm wondering if it is just coincidence: As well as positive things concerning confidence, general feelings of strength and well-being, I'm also finding that my anger is closer to the surface than normal. I would also say that I feel slightly more competitive than before - not in the sense of 'who's got the best ...', but in the sense of longing for a challenge of some kind to come along. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just me?
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    MissMaggie, I feel sort of like that. The sense of accomplishment from getting out of my comfort zone and trying something I had never done before absolutely gives me more confidence in myself and in my ability to go out and try new things!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Has anyone noticed any psychological changes since starting the program? I certainly have, but I'm wondering if it is just coincidence: As well as positive things concerning confidence, general feelings of strength and well-being, I'm also finding that my anger is closer to the surface than normal. I would also say that I feel slightly more competitive than before - not in the sense of 'who's got the best ...', but in the sense of longing for a challenge of some kind to come along. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just me?

Maggie, I am thinking the anger is due to the increased testosterone. I have noticed my feelings are harder to mask.

I found this on livestrong.com " Testosterone can be very beneficial to anyone adopting a regular lifting routine, or for individuals looking to build large amounts of muscle mass. Testosterone can heighten aggression and bolster strength, making it easier to perform lifting routines."
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I don't feel any additional "anger", I don't think. But, I *do* feel competitive. Mind you, I think I always have. And, what brought me to NROL4W was a "body fat loss" challenge.....so, I've been in "challenge-mode" since this all started for me.

I really want to bang out my last Stage 4B work-out today - just not sure the injury will let me. We shall see!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I am getting really REALLY discouraged. I weighed yesterday gained 5.5 pounds. Weighed today up another pound. That means 6.5 pounds since starting this program!!!!:mad: I officially finished Stage 1 Wednesday, and TOM began that day. I know a few pounds of that is water BUT I don't have to like it. I don't like it . I DON'T LIKE IT!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Maggie I always been a little hot tempered, so it's hard to tell! Maybe a little worse.

Manic, weigh in again in a few days. Like the book says, a month after beginning the program, weigh yourself and if you're a lot heavier or lighter you are eating too much or too little. The calculations don't work exactly for everyone i suppose.

If you were to reduce your cals would you still be able to fuel the lifting? Do you feel that it's fat or water or muscle? How are your clothes fitting?
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Right now it feels like water because of TOM. Shirts are tighter. The books says that is normal. Waist and hip areas of my clothing felt a tad bit looser last week but this week BLAH!

I've been eating anywhere between 1400-1800 calories a day. I hope as I gain muscle the metabolism will kick in and BURN. I have zero muscle on my lower half. It's all jello. :cry: