Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I am getting really REALLY discouraged. I weighed yesterday gained 5.5 pounds. Weighed today up another pound. That means 6.5 pounds since starting this program!!!!:mad: I officially finished Stage 1 Wednesday, and TOM began that day. I know a few pounds of that is water BUT I don't have to like it. I don't like it . I DON'T LIKE IT!

I went up quite a few pounds too, and on a resting week too! This week I'm lifting again and have gone back down. Where's the logic? I just think we have to keep the faith and not get freaked out by big changes on the scales. Did you see those recent pics of women who've been lifting and the difference in their bodies? I'm going to try to find links for you now; hold on ...
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Not quite as I remembered, but never mind. the first was using P90X, but the point is that her weight was the same.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

The second is more for general motivation!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/416059-more-strength-training-success-pics
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Maggie, I am thinking the anger is due to the increased testosterone. I have noticed my feelings are harder to mask.

I found this on livestrong.com " Testosterone can be very beneficial to anyone adopting a regular lifting routine, or for individuals looking to build large amounts of muscle mass. Testosterone can heighten aggression and bolster strength, making it easier to perform lifting routines."

Thanks for that - I think you are right about it being testosterone. I read another article too, which suggests that weight lifting does often increase testosterone levels in women, although usually not by much at all, compared with men. Amazing what a difference those tiny changes can make though - I definitely notice something going on.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, back from my trip. Everything went well, got a few days of cardio in while I was gone and came back within 1 lb of when I left. Getting my hip adjusted again today and hoping that will help as I am so ready to get back to lifting!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETED STAGE 4, TODAY.

BOOM.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Way to go Beeps!!!

As someone in Stage 1, when did you start NROLFW? Which stages have been the most enjoyable or challenging so far for you?

Taking a rest and then on to Stage 5?
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks Maggie. Seeing that helped me for the moment. :wink: I'm sure next week you will hear my rant again.

Jen, great job. No weight gain and yummy food!

Beeps, awesome. Yes, I would like to know which stage you have liked so far.
  • Helgazon
    Helgazon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Four weeks in to NROL4W and I'm really seeing some changes. The scale hasn't budged much (but I've only been tracking food for 2 weeks). I can see my abs more defined now, my belly is flatter, and I definitely see improved shape and muscle in my arms. Also can lift higher weights and that feels great.

I can now do 10 push-ups without knees on floor! I could get lower to the ground if I were stronger, but even so... I really couldn't do them when I started at all. Today I also did a Plank for 60 seconds--a personal best. It was really hard but I feel pretty pleased with progress.
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am getting really REALLY discouraged. I weighed yesterday gained 5.5 pounds. Weighed today up another pound. That means 6.5 pounds since starting this program!!!!:mad: I officially finished Stage 1 Wednesday, and TOM began that day. I know a few pounds of that is water BUT I don't have to like it. I don't like it . I DON'T LIKE IT!

I have only done 3 days now started Monday. I am up 1.2 since Monday. I bet if you truely take a week off between stages you will start going down.
    I weigh first thing in the morning here are my weights this week.
    April 30 stage 1 A1 - 147.6
    May 1 day off - 148
    May 2 stage 1 B1 - 147.2
    May 3 day off - 148.1
    May 4 stage 1 A2 - 148.8
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    forlife - if you had asked me, yesterday, if I was going to take a week off between Stage 4 and Stage 5, I would have said "yes". Today, I'm kind of like - "a whole week off??? Nahhhh" I'll see what Monday brings.

forlife and manic, I've liked ALL the stages of NROL4W. I was kinda bored by the end of Stage 1, and ready to "dig into" the program. Stage 2 is good - and now that I've done Stage 4, I can see it is mostly a repeat of Stage 2. Stage 3 is AWESOME and I know that Stage 5 (upcoming!) is mostly a repeat of Stage 3, so I'm VERY EXCITED TO GET GOING.

Stage 6 - all by itself - is the "pull-up" stage. CANNOT. WAIT. Simply too excited for words.

Heck, Helga, you're doing push-ups from the floor?? WOW!! That is one of my goals....I'm not there, yet. I believe I will be there by the end of Stage 7. I had hoped to be there, now. Alas, I am not. I'm at about a the 3rd rung from the bottom using the smith machine for push-ups. Dammit.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    forlife - if you had asked me, yesterday, if I was going to take a week off between Stage 4 and Stage 5, I would have said "yes". Today, I'm kind of like - "a whole week off??? Nahhhh" I'll see what Monday brings.

forlife and manic, I've liked ALL the stages of NROL4W. I was kinda bored by the end of Stage 1, and ready to "dig into" the program. Stage 2 is good - and now that I've done Stage 4, I can see it is mostly a repeat of Stage 2. Stage 3 is AWESOME and I know that Stage 5 (upcoming!) is mostly a repeat of Stage 3, so I'm VERY EXCITED TO GET GOING.

Stage 6 - all by itself - is the "pull-up" stage. CANNOT. WAIT. Simply too excited for words.

Heck, Helga, you're doing push-ups from the floor?? WOW!! That is one of my goals....I'm not there, yet. I believe I will be there by the end of Stage 7. I had hoped to be there, now. Alas, I am not. I'm at about a the 3rd rung from the bottom using the smith machine for push-ups. Dammit.

Thanks for the info Beeps. Your excitement is contagious!
    I'm struggling through push ups on a 45 degree angle and, truthfully, it might even be more than a 45! I keep trying one on a bench at home and cannot complete even one. i have a feeling that it will be the push ups that will be one of those things that I will celebrate when I finally do one on the floor!
    I *thought* I could do push ups before this but not when I try the suggested form. Elbows out would be a lot easier!
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I started the program this week and completed A2 today. Rather sore, but dealing with it. I've been lurking here a couple of days now and thought I would join in. Hope you don't mind.

The first workout I didn't use enough weight. Definitely did a better job choosing starting weights for workout B and today. Moved from using the Smith machine at about waist leve for push-ups to using the weight bench today. Definitely more challenging, didn't quite hit 15 for either set, but after seeing this....
    I *thought* I could do push ups before this but not when I try the suggested form. Elbows out would be a lot easier!
    I'm thinking I need to go back and review that part of the book, because I'm doing them wrong. Sigh. And I just thought I was getting it.

Question for those of you in the later weeks....how long do the workouts take you? I just read a comment that some of them take over an hour? Is that true? I hope not because 45 mins is about all I can squeeze in.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Lori!

Stage one didn't take me longer than 35 minutes and that was only a couple times.

Keep the elbows in ! It works on the triceps.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Beeps - LOVE the new profile pic! Your back looks amazing.

I seem to have hurt my shoulder somehow. Probably doing 30lb dumbbells on the squat/push/press. Or maybe it was the 10lb snatches. I went up on both. Ugh. I have a low grade pain even without movement. So today is a rest day anyway (which I HATE lol).

The push ups... I tend to put my hands out an inch or two too far. Need to focus on bringing them in. My triceps need more work.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Not quite as I remembered, but never mind. the first was using P90X, but the point is that her weight was the same.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

The second is more for general motivation!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/416059-more-strength-training-success-pics
    Great pics, thanks for re-posting. I've seen so many of these stories on the boards. STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALES LADIES!

Beeps! THat back looks AMAZING!! I haven't had any trouble with push-ups. I've been flat on the floor since 1A3 and now looking to go harder. (SOrry, that wasn't meant to sound braggy) My trouble is with weight going over my head like the push presses and shoulder presses. Just can't seem to add weight in those areas. Also, I don't find the ab work especially difficult but I still have a much bigger belly than I'd like. I fully understand that it won't go away until I lose more fat, but it's frustrating.

I also had a "forehead smack" moment this morning. I've did the static lunge wrong all of stage 2. I had my foot in the same position as the Bulgarian Split Squat (top on foot resting on top of step instead pushing on my toe). DUH! I did notice that 4 repeats 2 an 5 repeats 3 but with variations in sets and reps. Makes sense if you think about it.
    Oh oh, one more thing. The gym was dead last night so I went ahead and kicked off my shoes for my deadlifts. I really works, I felt super strong and my form WAS better. THen the guy next to me kicked off his :laugh:
    Have a great weekend ladies
  • kbresso
    kbresso Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I also had a "forehead smack" moment this morning. I've did the static lunge wrong all of stage 2. I had my foot in the same position as the Bulgarian Split Squat (top on foot resting on top of step instead pushing on my toe). DUH! I did notice that 4 repeats 2 an 5 repeats 3 but with variations in sets and reps. Makes sense if you think about it.

I had the same "forehead smack" moment yesterday but I was using the foot position from the static lunge for the Bulgarian Split Squat. I saw someone doing a variation of the Bulgarian and was like DUH! Did the correct foot position for workout B3.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I had the same "forehead smack" moment yesterday but I was using the foot position from the static lunge for the Bulgarian Split Squat. I saw someone doing a variation of the Bulgarian and was like DUH! Did the correct foot position for workout B3.

I've had many "forehead smack" moments this week, from doing static lunges vs regular lunges on B1, to forgetting to alternate pushups and rows in A2 and having elbows out yesterday. I'll probably get it all figured out and then it will be time to switch to Stage 2. :-)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I thought keeping elbows/arms in was for a tricep push up, which is a whole different kettle of fish to the regular push up?

Given that i can barely do the regular ones, i think i'll stick to that for now!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

BOOM.

Congratulations! And what a back! Looking really good :)
  • Helgazon
    Helgazon Posts: 23 Member
    Options

BOOM.

Congratulations! And what a back! Looking really good :)

That rocks! Congratulations!