Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    If you simply follow the NROL4W women who have actually FINISHED the program, NONE of them are saying, "omg, what a friggin waste of time that was...."

Instead, they are all saying that it "did" work! The women got stronger. They lost inches. Some lost sizes. Some lost weight. Their bodies LOOKED better.

And, it leads to other weight-lifting pursuits that can result in a liftime of healthy fitness - and a much higher quality of life in old age. I'm sold. And, yes, it didn't feel as "hard" as cardio, in the beginning....but NOW IT SURE DOES!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    I just completed my 2nd last B work-out in Stage 4. I didn't go up in ANY of my lifts, except my last set of bulgarian split-squats, I moved up to a 35 lb. plate. That thing was UBER-uncomfortable to hold!! (And, the difference from 25 lb. plate to 35 lb. plate, in girth, was pretty darned hilarious.) I guess I could have tried to use DB's, but, at this point, I've enjoyed using the plates and I've only got 1 B work-out left....so, I think I'll just leave it as it is.

I think my body will be happy with a weekend of "no lifting". My body is tired. I do have lengthy cardio day, tomorrow and we'll see if I can squish in an HIIT/abs/stretching day on Sunday.

Happy weekend, all!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    ok need some advice. We had a Zumba class at work today. It was very low impact. I only burned 325 for the 50 class and my HR averaged 120 the whole time. Should I still lift today or tomorrow? I have intervals today.
  • samntha14
    Options
    BTW Whoever reommended putting protein powder in almond milk, THANK YOU!!! So delicious, and 100 cals less.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I'm so exhausted. The past few days I've been overly fatigued. I've been steadily upping my weight. I guess that could have something to do with it. Today I know I'm going to go over my calories, because I just feel like I need food. I'm not really that hungry, but I suspect my body is screaming for some fuel. The alternative is to collapse into my bed and not get up until Monday. I find that a very tempting alternative.

Today was my last workout in my 3-week gym trial. I don't know what I'm going to do. My options are stay at this gym (which is a little commercial/preppy/who's your daddy? feeling), try out the other gym in town (much less busy but not quite as nice), or go ahead and buy that power rack I've been eyeballing at ****'s Sporting Goods along with some additional weights. Hmmm. What to do? What to do?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm having the 'weight gain panic'! I'm now 5lbs heavier than when I started NROLFW, and I'm just about to start Stage 3. I can see new muscle - it's definitely there - but I can also see more fat, without question. It's the incredible hunger that's the problem for me; I get it to the point of feeling shaky, and having a deep, deep need for fuel. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. I'm coming to the end of a week off now, and I've even had it this week too (although admittedly not quite as bad). Really don't know what to do - simply can't afford yet more clothes (yes, they are getting tight). Any ideas?
  • samntha14
    Options
    ok need some advice. We had a Zumba class at work today. It was very low impact. I only burned 325 for the 50 class and my HR averaged 120 the whole time. Should I still lift today or tomorrow? I have intervals today.
    Stayed home last night. Plan to do 2B3 tonight. I was just too tired. No good working out if you're not going to get maximum benefits I say.

MissMaggie I know that feeling well. I couldn't stop eating today. I was under my calorie goal, set at matainence, by 200-300 a day this week, but It caught up to me and left me very hungry Friday. I definitely need to eat cleaner. I'm going to try to hit my fruit /veggie goals this week.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Jessica- maybe do a trial week or two at the other place just to compare?

Missmaggie- your diary is closed so I can't say for sure what it could be. Is it possible you are not getting enough protein? Or that you selected the wrong activity level when setting up the calorie goal in MFP and you actually need to eat more? I'm on my phone so I can't post the link but there are a couple of groups you might want to consider checking out if you haven't already.

Eat More to Weigh Less
    Women Who Eat 2000+ Calories

Both of those groups have helped me get a better idea of what I've been doing wrong.

I really could use a spot for my squat form. I'm doing something funny and pulling something on the outside of my right knee. I can't seem to progress past about 100lbs.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Maggie, have you thought about taking a break from lifting for a couple of weeks, this might reduce the raging hunger, and let you cut a little bit? I doubt your progress would be set back at all, you're very fit. Just do a little gentle exercise but not lifting.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    @jamk1446 - your question made me giggle! I've been getting 30% protein (or almost) since I started with NROLFW, but in terms of calories, I'm usually well over 2000 calories a day and yesterday I must have been approaching 3000 driven by that intense hunger. Honestly, I eat tons. In fact, I'm considering cutting down the protein as I was talking to a gym boss/nutritionist yesterday who advised 15% protein for lifting, on the basis that it's energy from carbs that's needed most. I know a lot of people will disagree with that, but i thought I might try it for a week or so and see if it makes a difference. I am technically a member of the 2000+ group already, but I think I belong here more.

@jenlwb - I'm on a week off at the moment actually, but can't bring myself to stop doing cardio (although what I'm doing is relatively gentle, exactly like what I was doing prior to the NR only less intense). I'm really wondering what is going on here. I remember years ago, a trainer told me that I was one of those unusual women who did build a lot of muscle. I really don't know if that's true as I haven't tested it out before properly, but I have been quite shocked this week to see how massive the muscles in my thighs have become, compared to previously. I don't have a problem with building muscle - I want to build muscle. Perhaps I should just try and calm down and give it longer to see what happens; I'm guessing that my metabolic rate is actually quite a bit higher than the book (and MFP) assumes now, given the muscle growth. The only way of knowing really would be to get a Body Media Fit type of device, but I simply can't afford it.

Sorry, I'm rambling on here! I think I've kind of answered my own question though; I'll do the next stage (3), then take stock again.

Thanks for listening!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Miss Maggie, You are eating on maintenance, right? Maybe you need to cut 300 cals from what you are currently eating.

I don't have a clue of what I should be eating. I started out at maintenance per the book and gained 4 lbs in a couple weeks but I am back down 2. I seem to be maintaining on 1500-1800 calories. BUT i am noticing a few differences here and there. My skirt was looser last week fresh out of the dryer and the front of my thighs don't look as lumpy.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    In light of your answer, I'd say chuckle away! I got a BMF and my calorie burn is 300 to 500 more than what the book says, maybe you do too. Trying changing your macros is at least worth a thought. I know a few people who do much better at a lower level even though most need more.
  • samntha14
    Options
    And I am barely hungry today. Still 800 to go at almost 6:30pm and I haven't even worked out yet. Go figure. I'm going to go with, listen to my body.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I really could use a spot for my squat form. I'm doing something funny and pulling something on the outside of my right knee. I can't seem to progress past about 100lbs.
    [/quote]

I do my squats sideways, def helps a lot. you can see your form better (thigs parallel to the ground, knees over the midpoint of your feet, and make sure you're sitting back so your weight is on your heels more) I started off doing squats against the wall sometimes with a ball behind me sometimes not to get the feel. Also, make sure your feet/hips aren't turned out or in.
  • jk262
    Options
    for the step ups, I was wondering what everyone uses? I started using a bench at the gym but the padding makes me way too wobbly so then I started using the aerobics steps.. does anyone use those? how many blocks do you stack on the bottom if you do? three?
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I use a step with 4 risers.
  • jk262
    Options

thank youuu :)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Me too
  • samntha14
    Options
    I use five risers and hold the 25 lb plates instead of barbells, but now I need to increase weight so back to dbs. Wish my gum had kettle bells.
  • sar123bear
    Options
    I have just ordered the book NROL4W and have a question:

How short / long are the workouts typically??