Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• leahfrederiksen
    leahfrederiksen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the hello's, hello to all of you too!

So I completed my first day of this programme on Monday doing all the exercises with just body weight as I didnt have time to go to the gym. Last night I went to a Body Combat class which I LOVE and tonight I will be doing Stage 1 Workout B.

When doing my first workout I looked at the exercises and though I'll be done in 15mins and can probably just keep on this tshirt and jogging bottoms as I won't be that hot, well...... how wrong was I, although the workout didnt take me too long I was sweating by the end of it and the bottoms came off (luckily I was at home not the gym...!) I had mild discomfort in my shoulders the day after but that's probably a lot to do with me not used to doing these exercises and that fact that I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome so it's to be expected.

Excitied about starting this journey, I will have to take some before pics to keep track on my progress. :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to have to seek out a PT to figure out if I have something goin' on in my right elbow/forearm.

I am having some pain in certain positions (i.e. think about lifting a jar of pickles out of the fridge when using your fingers wrapped around the lid)....but, for some reason, I can still do weight-lifting in all the positions (I think). Still, when away, the "thing" didn't really get better (I was hoping 1 week of rest was enough to do it!).

It is totally weird because there's nothing wrong with my left elbow/forearm....and, I don't do one-armed sports (like tennis, for example), so what the hey?!?!?

I thought it might be carpel-tunnel developing (cause I mouse with my right hand), but hubby says "no". He also says, "go see a PT". Who the *kitten* has that kinda time?!??!?!?!

Crap, hit enter without putting in my post!

The PT group I see has very early morning hours - they start at 6! I am in there by 7 each session. It's made a lot of difference but honestly, the pain is still there. I can stretch and relieve it but it's never "gone". I suppose that means I either live with it or go back to the doc for more tests. BUT I will say that PT has given me more body awareness, which is a good thing considering my posture simply sucks!

I lifted yesterday. Lower body, deads @95, decline leg presses @100, and leg curls and extensions @90, then hanging leg raises and incline leg lifts. Not stellar but good form and I feel it today. But I think hanging leg raises might have irritated the shoulder - it's achy today.

PT tomorrow - I will talk about what to do going forward to help and not hurt the shoulder.

Pudding, congrats on being a new aunt!

Hi Cowgirl, hi Sam! Hope you have FUN while you're away doing stuff!

Ali, I swapped out those lateral things quick. I was using a trainer and he had me do side bends holding plates. I do them with 45#s now.

Welcome Leah.

Everyone else, get up and lift heavy things right now! :love:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    I am going to see a PT. Now, I will ask around the office for a recommendation for a "good one".

Meanwhile, I hope I can get in some lifting today....schedule is tight, so likely will have to drop my time to 2-sets (not 3). Still, I'll take it!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I made it to the gym today to do the last workout in stage 5. But now my back is sore! :explode: :explode: Its been a little sore for the last week or so but I think it was from being slumped over a desk all the time and that a workout would help. Turns out I was wrong. So what do I do? I have been resting it for over a week before today and that didn't help. and I don't have the time or money to seek professional help for it until this damn thesis is done. So does anyone know anything that is good for a sore back?
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    DouMc, assuming you didn't hurt your back and its just sore I use a Shiatus back massager. My sister got it for me when I was pregnant and I love this thing( we call it my other boyfriend:laugh: ). I usually use it when I sit on the couch but it looks for like for a desk chair. You can get it at walmart pretty cheap. It really does help loosen the muscles in my back and I can move around on it to hit the spots I need, unfortunately it doesnt work on my shoulders.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HoMedics-Thera-P-Shiatsu-Massage-Cushion-MCS-100-THP/16940204
    Hopefully it can be a simple fix and nothing serious.

Also I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates that lateral flexion & I will try the side bends tonight, thanks for the tip :smile:
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ali, Thats a good idea. I'll have a look and see if I can find anything like that near here.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hey lifting ladies i got laid off today, lol!

Celebrated with a totally leisurely 75 minute weight workout and then ninety minute walk with a gf!

Yahoo!

Weight loss is on tap....hope i find a new job. By november.....but won't look too hard for a couple weeks!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Oh beeps - I hope you find work easily.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Gosh, me too!

But, in the meantime, I am still up at the crack of dawn. And, I am going to the gym THIS MORNING!

omg

Haven't done a weekday morning work-out in 4.5 years....this sounds like it might be fun to see old friends.

I will do a "max strength" class....and then back to my regular weightlifting (by myself) Friday.

Saturday is boring ol' cardio....
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Gosh, Beeps! I hope maybe you can at least have a restful period before finding some work. Enjoy your weekday lifting!

DouMc, I second the massage and maybe some stretching. If you can find a way to foam roll it, that always helps.

I'm convinced I will just have to be content to maintain for a few more weeks. Cutting calories takes more emotional and mental energy than I have at this point. This weekend is another out of town event. It will mostly be fun,but it will include lots of food and some stress too. School starts ( homeschool) Monday. Hopefully I can get my head back in the game as we settle into a routine.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alright, all that max-strength class did was shred my quads....quad work i don't need, lol!

Bret C says "get thee back to Hip thrusting, Beeps" - so, back to Venus tomorrow!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hello again. It's been a while since I checked in but I could use some support. I've been lifting for a couple of years and slowing increasing my squats and deadlifts. I was feeling pretty good that I can now squat 100 pounds and deadlift 90... but now I keep seeing women who can lift much more than that! I'm feeling a little disheartened and self-conscious now. What do y'all think? Should I try to increase a little faster?

I usually do 3 to 4 sets of 8. Maybe I should do fewer reps...
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! :bigsmile:

Hi swimmermama :smile: As the girls here keep reminding me, it's not how much you can lift, but that you're actually doing it and slowly going higher :happy:

I don't know how tall or heavy you are, but it helps little old me feel better when I think of it in terms of percentage of bodyweight instead of a number. So for eg, I can deadlift just over 100% bodyweight (I really like deads lol). Squats I haven't done for a while, but last check they were about 50%... they are what I'll be working on hard when I get to Stage 7. Sounds awesome doesn't it? Then you have to realise I'm 4'9 and weigh 89pds :laugh:

Numbers are just that - numbers. It's kinda like that little number on the scale, sometimes it's not that important. You're working hard, you're getting stronger and slowly increasing the weight. Everyone is different :flowerforyou:
    "get thee back to Hip thrusting, Beeps"

*giggle* I'm imagining you doing an Elvis impersonation with weights :tongue: :laugh: It's Friday, it's raining and I'm obviously feeling better LOL
    Good luck on the job front, but I definitely know the feeling of freedom (however fleeting lol) of not having to be somewhere to work.

Even being sick this week I managed to get my 3 lifting sessions in. Funnily enough, I think it was the slow lifting session (did 6B without upping weights) on Wednesday that helped me start feeling better - maybe the endorphins or whatever kicking in? It helped to clear my head anyway. I still had a lovely nap about an hour later, but I felt better within myself. Extra cardio can wait until next week though :smile:

My form was a little sloppy this morning though. I had to check myself a couple of times with the split squats. I just wasn't paying enough attention is all. Not enough to hurt myself, just enough to make me wake up and take notice and get a little grumpy lol

Pudding, congrats on the arrival of your nephew :happy:

Okay, that's it for me... the Husband is at home trying to get an assignment finished. He's finally up to the maths & statistics part of his Masters degree and it's a little rough going I think! I'm also supposed to be writing articles... I might have another coffee... :wink:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello swimmer mama!
    Do you keep track? If I don't write it down and check my best and last before I lift I tend to stay at the same weight!
    I look like a geek with my folder but it works.

Beeps have some great workouts.
    I am keeping it simple doing the same workout5 lifts, lifting 3 x a week only 30 minutes but steadily increasing.
    I am enjoying the hip thrusts- I've never seen anyone do them at my gym. So I keep thinking "I am working the biggest muscle in my body'"...,,

Bb cowgirl you were right. I am asking you for life advice from now on.

Life is ok - I just focus on what's in front of me and get it done.

Dna you are very strong and the healthiest eater I know.

I have a personal training session tomorrow. I will get my form checked on my main lifts...
    I am looking forward to it.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Dna you are very strong and the healthiest eater I know.

sshhh.... today I have had many cookies, lots of coffee, a huuuuge pile of mashed potato with gravy and rissoles for lunch and I'm following it up with chicken & chips in the air-fryer tonight... maybe I'll have salad with that :tongue: . If there was dairy-free ice cream in the house I'd be having that too (there isn't any left :sad: :laugh: ) - it's a wet and dreary day, and it's been game on for study and work so I think we've been snacking all day :wink: :laugh:

Ah well... gotta have a carb-fest re-feed day every now and then :wink: :drinker:

When this assignment is done and the Husband goes back to work on Monday, I'll be back to my boringly delicious chicken & salad lunches :laugh:

The kids are watching tv and I'm staring at the rain coming down outside... Youth group tonight for the girl so I'd probably better get off the couch soon...
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Back to work this week. It's been wild and I've managed to squeeze in a Stage 7 workout here and there.

Swimmer, what DNA said. Besides, looks to me like you're rockin' that dress!

Pudding, do we get to see squishy baby pictures? :happy:

DNA, a random day with reckless abandon sounds like it's good for you :flowerforyou:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Today I did chin ups and pull ups in the gym. Freakin' awesome
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm back!! It was a fabulous vacation. It will take me some time to go back and read everything. We had a wonderful time, and if you've never been to Niagara Falls, I strongly suggest you go. I was an awesome experience. I will return tt he gym tonight or tomorrow. I was a dirty sleep in this morning. It was wonderful after nearly a week of getting up with the birds at he butt crack of dawn.
  • samntha14
    Options
    *This post didn't quote for some reason.

I did VERY LITTLE strength training in high school for swim team, but I would I was a total newbie starting these programs. I always say, you only have to walk into the free weight section for the first time once. The guys in my gym are great and non-creepy, and they've gotten used to the ladies and even are encouraging. You will find that as you get more into this program, your confidence will grow and even if someone does say something to you, you will not hesitate to put them in their place.

Red hooray for rocking the two piece. One thing I have to say about Nort-east girls like myself, we are a confident bunch. Whenever I'm on the Jersey Shore, or this week in Upstate New York, women of every age, stage, and shape rock the two piece, and all I can say is, you go girl. Seriously, EVERY single mom at the campground was wearing a two piece, even if it was the mom tank-ini.
  • samntha14
    Options
    And I'm sure I looked dumb (doing squats with the just the bar was actually way harder than I expected and I'm sure after my first one I had a very surprised look on my face - LOL!).

We have all been there. I'm always nervous trying a new move in public - but it gets better, trust me. Congrats on choosing a great program to follow :-)

And yes 15 lunges ON EACH LEG, then your prone jack knife , then another 15 on each leg. So 60 lunges in total if your workout calls for 2 sets of 15 reps
    True that!. When I fist started, I was doing everything with body weight, I was such a wimp. I even practiced all of the moves at home with the old Barbie weights and my broom stick so I would have my form right BEFORE heading to the gym. Those were the days lol