Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just checking in.
    Welcome all newbies & welcome back vacationers :smile:
    I missed my first lifting session on Friday because I was baking & playing with my little guy, but it was totally worth it. My Saturday hike upstate turned into a lets find a room & spend the night up here, then a where the heck are we and why is the gps telling us to drive through a lake lol but it was a family adventure and for the most part we had a good time.

I've also decided that I don't like the D exercises in Stage 2 B workout. they do nothing for me, I know what muscles they are suppose to work out & they don't challenge me like I would like and that leteral flexion I just feel stupid doing so I'm going to find alternatives that I can feel challenging me.
    Well we are finally getting some much needed rain here and the temps have cooled off ( suppose to be high of only 99 :bigsmile: ) So I will take the humidty & enjoy the rain, now if ppl could just learn to drive in it.
    Great progression girls & I hope those of you not well feel better soon :flowerforyou:
    Ha, sounds like we were on the same path Wednesday. We totally didn't have time to plan this vacation, so we were sitting with the computer and GPS Tuesday night, where to next honey?
    Which moves do you hate specifically?
  • samntha14
    Options
    Beeps, I'm not sure if I should say congratulations or gee I hope things work out. Enjoy your time off I guess. One of us loosing a job would amount to a tragedy of biblical proportions.

Hubby was in PT for 18 months following his accident for his shoulder. The paon never really goes away, ou just learn t live with it and keep it mobile with decent range of motion. It doesn't hold him back from life and that's the difference. Hell, his soon to be forty-year-old *kitten* just rode his bike from Central Jersey to Freaking Canada :laugh: bum shoulder an all. In fact, he didn't go pro until after his accident at 35 when most guys are retiring from the sport.

I might be dragging him to my chiro today though. He's complaining about his neck. 8 hours a day on the bike followed by sleeping on the ground I think will do that. I totally wimped out. THe first morning I woke up unable to move after the second night, when I saw a K-mart off the highway, I screeched tires into their lot and bought an inflatable raft. Still woke up a bit sore, but at least I was able to sleep through the night.

happy lifting ladies.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sam, sounds like a great time!

Pmag, I think your "keeping it simple" routine is perfect.

Swimmer, this will be long, but if you're really pushing yourself and lifting to near failure, then there's no reason to be worried. We all increase strength at an individual pace. My DL weight is 165lbs X 5 reps. But I weigh 145lbs. There are other ladies who are the same size as me who DL 200+lbs. the main thing is that you ARE steadily increasing (this is why it's called "progressive overload"- required for muscle building). However, if you're eating at maintenance and aren't seeing weekly or monthly progression in your lifts, you might want to consider a few things. 1) Form. I'm assuming your form is good if you've been lifting a while, but bad form can prevent us from gaining strength. 2) Nutrition. Are you eating enough protein? Are you timing carbs around your workouts? Regardless of what the IF crowd preaches, most people find that eating carbs right before their workouts enhances workout performance. I am one of those people. BCAAs during and after your workouts can help too. 3) Calories. Are you eating enough overall to support your strength training? 4) Rep ranges. Typically trainers and pros advise that you don't spend more than 2-3 months within one rep range. 1-5 reps is considered optimal for increasing strength. 5-12 is the muscle building range. More than 15 and you're going into the endurance range(of course these all overlap). So if you've been training for 8 reps for a while, it's probably time to switch it up.
    Just some thoughts for you to ponder!

I increased all my lifts except good mornings yesterday. Thrusts are up to 170lbs X 5, my BP is pathetically only 75lbsX5. Good mornings I'm doing 85lbsX8- I find I can do these with an empty bar and still get a good workout. Overall I really like the Strong Curves program. It's been fun to try a slightly different routine.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Today I did chin ups and pull ups in the gym. Freakin' awesome

I'm jealous! I don't know that I will ever be able to do a chin-up unassisted. Are you still seeing progress with the increase in cals?
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sam, I hate the lateral flexion most, but I took the advise given and did side bends, but I held a 25lb plate instead of a 45 (I'm not as strong as Sue) I didn't think it did much at first but I felt it the next day :bigsmile: so I'm happy about that. I also added the 25lb plate to the swiss ball crunch and switched the reverse crunch for regluar sit ups. I know it doesn't target the same exact muscle but I didn't like how those felt.

My last workout had a "fun "ending as I was doing the prone cobra ( my older son calls it the dolphin :laugh: ) My BF opened the baby gate & let the dogs & my toddlers in. Nothing like trying to hold that pose for 15 more sec with 2 little dogs licking your face & a 3 yr old saying what are you doing mommy? & trying to do it too. And all my bf could say for himself was "I'm sorry it was funny" :grumble:

Dna I'm glad you're feeling better. Now I woke up this morning with my heading pounding, my sinuses hurt, my throat feels like its on fire & my nose won't stop running. I hope the lifting will help me as well since I lift tonight. I don't want to be sick, the kids visit their Dad this weekend and that when I get things done, I don't want to be laying in bed all weekend :sick:

Beeps good luck finding a new job, that process sucks & can be very stressful.

Swimmermama, listen to these girls they know their shh stuff :tongue:

Hope everyone has a great weekend .
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Today I did chin ups and pull ups in the gym. Freakin' awesome

I'm jealous! I don't know that I will ever be able to do a chin-up unassisted. Are you still seeing progress with the increase in cals?

Still seeing slow increases in strength, not gaining weight on 1950 cals. Hard to know whether strength gains are due to cals or the lifting program though!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I'm missing the gym right now because my children are impossible when they are in the same room at the same time. What did I do wrong as a parent? They are currently locked in their room for their own safety.

update: Now they are being put in separate rooms for my sanity.
  • aubeatle
    aubeatle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice re: rest week. I think I will still do cardio but no weight training, at least not heavy weight training.

I had a fantastic mental victory on Friday. Although I am not completely new to weight training, I am new to heavy weights. I had been doing my squats with the all-in-one barbells but once I got to 40 pounds, it got way too difficult (and probably dangerous) to get the bar over my head to my shoulders. I had always been nervous about the Olympic size bar on the squat rack at the gym. I don't really know why, it just seemed overwhelming. I'm rather short (5' 1"), so maybe it had something to do with the thought of balancing something that was almost as long as I was.

However, Friday was my last weight increase for Stage 1 (workouts 7 & 8). I knew it was time to conquer that bar.....and I DID! It wasn't even that difficult, just took a little getting used to. I started squats with 20 pounds, now I'm at 65. 100 pounds, here I come!!

It felt great to get over that mental hurdle!

:bigsmile:
  • samntha14
    Options
    Way to go Aubeatle!! Picking up the big girl bar for the first time is HUGE!!.

Well, I got to the gym today, yay. However, my workout was rushed and aggravating. A couple of serious heavy lifters, male and female, occupied the squat racks for 45 MINUTES. At first when I saw them I was just impressed by their physiques and numbers, but totally unimpressed by their attitude. Like I was somehow invading their world. I say this because she overheard my conversation with a friend saying that I was waiting for a squat rack. Then she says to her guy, "I'm waiting for her to say something." Well, the only reason I didn't was because of some misguided attempted to prove her wrong. I improvised and did front squats using the bench. It got the job done and I finished my workout in time to pick up the kids. <sticks tongue out> mature I know.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sam your kids need school. So do mine.

Aubreatle nice job.

I had my first personal training session. My gym tries to match you with someone you like which is great. I got a female trainer who looks like me 20 years ago with longer hair, more makeup and who lifts heavy.
    She promised to teach me to bench press. She told me I have pectoral muscles. I don't believe her, but I bought five sessions. I think I need help with form.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Sam- what an obnoxious couple at your gym.
    How did you manage to walk away?
    Hopefully all your anger went into your workout.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Pmagnan, i am excited to read how your personal training goes....sounds verrrrrrry promising!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I had my body fat measured. I am 28% body fat. Bummer.
  • samntha14
    Options
    REst day:
    From my status:
    Looking at my food diary, I've been very inactive for August, between being sick and on vacation. However, I've been well below my calorie goal (over 5 k for the month). As you know, I no longer own a scale, but I FEEL bigger, not smaller. What's up with that. Then again I was the person doing 5 hours of cardio a week and didn't lose a single pound until I started lifting 3 hours a week instead.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You are a pear, right, pmagnan?!? If "yes", that's a totally awesome bodyfat measurement....for reals!

I lifted today. I hiked for over two hours yesterday. And i did my saturday cardio! I think i have worked out six days in a row!

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Samntha....could just be "bloat" that is making you feel bigger! I hope you can get back to the gym really soon!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I started stage 6 today. I think I really like it. I was nervous about doing the negative chin ups because I wasn't sure if I could even get myself into the starting position but they actually went ok. I have 3 more weeks of just focussing on getting some exercise in and not worrying about my eating while I finish my thesis and then it is back to some serious body recomposition planning!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Beeps, you are one busy lady.

DouMC, those negative chin ups are no joke, but super effective. I'm sure the eating habits you've developed will stay with you for the most part and you'll do just fine.

I hit the beach today for "NAtional PArks birthday" all NPS parks were free today (thank you president Eisenhower) including my local beach. I got my butt handed to me in the breakers. I was beyond exhausted. Tomorrow I'm going to hit the gym BEFORE I go do something else so I'm not too tired when I get home. It's all good, I'll still get in three for the week.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yay DouMc! - Stage 6 is pretty fun once you get over the initial worry lol I'm enjoying it a lot and I can feel myself getting stronger, which is pretty cool. I love my muscles so very much :love: :laugh:

2/3 for last week checking in.

1. Lift 3x week - yep all done
    2. Cardio min 2x week for 30min - nope. Just the one cardio session last week - it was the first thing out the window when I wasn't feeling well :wink:
    3. Meal plan & healthy snacks - on track, and I made a really yummy gluten-free muesli slice that I've cut into little squares for snacks. It's not perfect yet, recipe still needs a little tweaking, but it's edible lol

Which reminds me, I need to go buy some millet meal (randomly inserted thought there lol)

Sam, I agree with Beeps, once you are able to get back to the gym things might start to settle down again.

Lots to do, once again my schedule is out the window. The Husband has organised a farewell dinner for a friend tomorrow night - at our place LOL Guess who has to prep dinner, and apparently blue cupcakes? He's lucky I'm such a nice wife and it's for a good friend :tongue: I have to go find naturally coloured, gluten-free blue food colouring that is also low preservative... he couldn't choose something simple like, I dunno, pink (cochineal). I know there is one, I just need to find the shop that sells them lol
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Lifting was superb today! I am glad to be back in action - and I can now see through walls! Lol!

Let's do this, ladies!!:drinker: