Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Wow... you all are so active!! I love how alive this thread is. I'm sorry for not posting more often. I'm not feeling chatty, actually feeling very frustrated, ready to give up. For the first time since yesterday, my shoulder finally has stopped throbbing and aching. It's been creaking, I've been popping ibueprofen and icing and FINALLY, after more than 24 hrs, it's stopped aching. I know some of it is the new exercises I'm doing, and probably some of it in the change in the weather but I have to tell you that after 4 weeks of PT, I was hoping I wouldn't be this sore anymore. And despite FEELING like giving up, I refuse! I had planned on getting to the gym this morning but seriously couldn't. So I will go tomorrow before we head out to BBQ up north with friends.

I have to read back, but I do want to say Mary, I'm really glad to see you back in the thread!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks , SueBoo! I had pneumonia after surgery so I had to be re-admitted to hospital for 2 or 3 days. I can't remember it all is a blur. I was so sick! I didn't care about logging or anything.

Jamaica, I am hoping when I go back for a 6 week (09/22) follow up Dr will allow be to start lifting again. We'll see.......
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the step back Mary. I hope your recovery goes more smoothly from here. Feel better too Sue. Hubby pulled his IT band badly on the way to Niagara. Trying to convince him to see the doctor, but he's a man.

No gym all weekend. My intention was to sit on my butt my last few days off, but instead I've been running around like a crazy woman and finishing up my shopping and cleaning. On the bright side, the last of bloat flushed out with my cycle.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    JL, you are killing your goals! I haven't been motivated to be careful about my food at all this Summer. Go you!

dna, enjoy Stage 7. I thought it was cruel, but it does give you a great workout!

Sue, I hope the shoulder feels better quickly!

Jo, 3 months is a really long time!

It's time to be more careful about my food and get serious about cutting. I figure I have about 15lbs left to lose. I'd love to lose 10 of that by Christmas. But I don't know how realistic it is. The good news is that with all of my eating, My strength and energy levels have been great. So even though I am about 3-5 lbs heavier than I was in April, I am stronger and I feel good. Hopefully some of the 3-5lbs is muscle.

Today I did hip thrusts 3 sets X 4 reps X 185lbs. My goal of 200lbs is getting very close!
  • suelegal
    Options
    I just came to tell you that I DID go to the gym this morning. I did good mornings instead of deads because I figured they would be less stressful on my shoulder. Then I did decline leg press, leg curls, extensions, tricep extensions and curls. Oh and 15 on the elliptical.

I changed my daily calorie goal. I recalculated my TDEE (at Scooby's workshop and IIFYMs) and figured in a 20% reduction. I know I won't make that every day, but I also exercise more than 3x per week, so I think they will balance out. And I started out today over because I couldn't resist the home made crème puffs. OMG to die for!

Mary, I'm glad you're feeling better! Please take good care of yourself, my friend!

PT tomorrow!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I DID REAL PUSH UPS!!!!! REAL LIFE ON THE FLOOR ELBOWS IN- CHEST ALMOST TOUCHING THE GROUND - THIS IS SPARTA PUSH UPS!!!! I decided that today, after only doing one work out last week, was the day that I would try push ups from the ground. I've been doing them at about a 35 degree angle on my sofa and decided today that I was going to do a set of 8 on my sofa like normal, do three on the ground, and then finish up the set on the sofa. I went to do my three on the sofa and after the first one I stopped and thought to myself "this is way too easy girl what are you doing wrong?" But I wasn't doing anything wrong. I'm just an upper body badass.
    TOM has had me feeling really blah and unmotivated. It's also packed on a whopping five pounds. I weighed myself saw that number and giggled. Normally that kind of fluctuation in weight would have had me hiding under my bed but now I know to just wait a week or so and the number will be back down.
    I had a talk with my mother about how she has to stop thinking that losing weight is some mystical and magical thing and her body defies the laws of science and can't be held to the same standards as everyone else's body. I know she likes to think she's special but.... I've been preaching the beauty of resistance training and heavy lifting. She preaches the endless walking. She's been walking for years and still doesn't like her progress-what little she's had. I've been lifting since march and have cut five inches off my waist and if my measurements are accurate 5% of my overall body fat. Then at the annual family crab crack there was this large conversation about how the women in my family can only lose weight doing certain types of exercises and eating certain kinds of food. I just didn't have the energy to fight that fight again. I did however mention that I must be adopted because I've gotten positive results and I eat pasta every day.
    I'm potentially going to Atlanta to visit an ex in October so I've got further motivation to keep lifting heavy and keep my eating under control. Because honestly is there anything better than the look of shock and awe on an ex's face when you have your body right? So for the ladies that were suggesting we do some type of challenge I am ALL for it! Happy lifting this week ladies!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Red, way to go!!! You are such an inspiration! You are going to have to help your ex pick his jaw up off the floor, I'm sure!

Sue, I saw your post to my wall so thank you; I am going to try those calculations once both boys are back to school tomorrow (do you hear me breaking open the bubbly??? ;) ).

Barbell, I'm also setting myself a goal for the rest of the year. I have to get my food right or I could run and lift all day and it wouldn't matter. I think we can do it. No, I KNOW we can!

I finished stage 7 today, all 12 workouts, and am very happy. Hit a PR on deadlifts and got a random compliment from a stranger on my squats. I'll take it :)

One week off lifting now, just some cardio for a "break," then its Supercharged time!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Congrats pudding!
    And red
    And Jo
    And sue- great you got back in there

I got back from Vancouver bc-- now I want to live in Canada.
    I didn't lift for six days. Some hiking , swimming, biking and I found a weight room but did brief workouts.

I ate amazing vegetarian food and some fish.

It's nice to be home though.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Bb good luck with your cut

Mary September will fly by and you will be back lifting .

Sam- I wish you a peaceful week after all your errands.
  • sub2orbust
    sub2orbust Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been pretty good about logging my food and when I got on the scale Friday I had maintained perfectly (0.2 lbs under last weeks weigh in), which is exactly what I'm going for right now. Figured I'd follow what the book suggested and attempt to maintain my first 4 weeks on the program. I'm exactly halfway through stage one, having completed by 8th workout yesterday. I'm excited to see where I'm at in another 8 workouts.

Red - that's awesome! I finally decided to try to do real pushups. I could barely do one or two but I'm going to work on it.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I went and did my lifting today....at the different gym....and there were waaaayyyyyy more DB's and BB's and mirrors and everything! Loved that!

I will step on the scale tomorrow.....ten weeks left in my self-challenge!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, checking in after the long weekend. It was busy but the kids had a good time. Whatever thisillness is made a come back with coughing & congestion in my chest, I'm getting a bit concerned cause it feels like trying to breathe water. Hopefully it'll clear up by next weekend or I'm going to the dr to make sure its nothing serious.
    I've got a job interview tonight, I'm trying not to make myself too nervous so I keep telling myself that I'm not desperate for a job (which I'm not) so if I don't like the schedule or pay or anything I don't have to accept a job or if they don't call back its no big deal but good experience. Of course maybe it'll be a great job, with great benefits & they'll offer me a position (gotta try to stay positive). I was surprised and happy when I tried on my "interview clothes" that they didn't fit, they were way too big. My pants were a size 10 and I had to go & get a size 6 YAY ME!!!! :happy:
    And I got a nice compliment from my BF, he told me that I do have abs and he can see the changes in my body, thatI'm looking really good. The ab thing is big since we had a "discussion" on how he thinks women can't have abs unless they have really low almost no body fat :noway: (I know, how stupid & insulting does that sound) It felt good proving him wrong ( Of course he tried to back track lol) So even with my little bit of stretch marked, loose skin by my belly button I'll take my 4 pack & be happy.

Red, you are doing awesome, remember to bring a napkin for that ex so he can wipe his drool.
    Jo, 3 months :noway: :noway: :noway: 3 weeks was hard enough.
    Beeps, glad you liked the new gym, maybe it can be permanent?

I hope everyone else continues to do well & lift heavy thing.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    Ali, a 4-pack is NO joke! Good for you!

I won't make this change gym permanent...too far a drive and, when slippery winter roads arrive, i will remain happier at my local gym! But, for the next little while, i think new gym will be fun!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Beeps, a good gym is worth it's weight in gold.
    ALi, you go mama!! For some reason even when I was a skinny minnie I never had abs, totally impressed. Please see the doctor.
    Red, you are doing so awesome!!

Today was my first back at work. It was 95 with over 90% humidity, and I was moving furniture without A/C. I came home and went right to sleep.
  • mroe2
    mroe2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Red, you are an inspiration! (As are all of you New Rules ladies!)

I haven't been active on the board since posting about how to do the work outs properly. When I finished Stage 1 I felt so great!

But then my waist size and general chubbiness returned during my break between stages. The break ended up being a little longer than seven days, due to vacation. I also haven't been strict in my diet (though, truth be told, I wasn't very strict in my diet during the workout period... just kept my post-workout protein shakes constant and upped the protein in my diet).

Today was my first day back to the gym, and I can already tell how much better I feel! But I have been a bit discouraged by the apparent loss of muscle/gain of fat in the past week.

Anyone have similar experience? What does it feel like to get past Stage 1?
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hi lifting ladies! I've been following along but decided to jump in and start posting too!

I did stage 1 and then took last week off (was away for a family wedding). I'm starting stage 2 today!! How many of you modified stage 2 at all? I'm not sure about some of the B options?

Anyways, off for A!! Keep up the good work ladies!,
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Red, you are an inspiration! (As are all of you New Rules ladies!)

I haven't been active on the board since posting about how to do the work outs properly. When I finished Stage 1 I felt so great!

But then my waist size and general chubbiness returned during my break between stages. The break ended up being a little longer than seven days, due to vacation. I also haven't been strict in my diet (though, truth be told, I wasn't very strict in my diet during the workout period... just kept my post-workout protein shakes constant and upped the protein in my diet).

Today was my first day back to the gym, and I can already tell how much better I feel! But I have been a bit discouraged by the apparent loss of muscle/gain of fat in the past week.

Anyone have similar experience? What does it feel like to get past Stage 1?
    Yes! I feel this way too! I think it's too much indulging on my vacation :(. I'm back to clean eating and lifting and hope to regain that strong leaner feeling I was enjoying at the end of stage 1. Wish I'd taken "after stage 1 " photos before I left. I don't want to now! Lol!

I just did stage 2 A. Not too bad, but took longer. About an hour, but that's partly b/c I had to recheck my book for several of them-unusual routine.:noway:
    The push press part of the front squat will take some practice...the momentum coming out of the squat seems important to getting that bar up. Need to practice that one!
    Step ups are familiar.
    The raised leg lunges were good!
    Those bent over things were challenging! I agree that heavier weights actually worked better, but still need practice and better balance. Sort though, and I hope to improve quickly.
    Planks were hard-I have skinned elbows from tubing on my trip, I did straight arm planks instead, and will need to build up with those too.
    Loved the wood chops!
    Push-ups were fine-always a challenge to me.

Overall I liked it. I'm not sure about B? I'll try it as written but have a feeling I will be making some adjustments? ;)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Red, that's awesome!!!

Beeps, enjoy the gym while you can!

Ali, most of us DO have to get into sub 20% BF to have truly visible abs, so yay for you! You should be very proud of yourself!!!!

Sam, blah! Stay hydrated!

Julie, the main thing I remember about Stage 2 is how hard the DLs from a box are. If you're not 100% confident in your form, don't do them- just sub regular DLs. After two years of lifting, I have no intention of ever doing DLs from a deficit again. I just don't have the right anatomy to perform them correctly.

I just spent two hours decorating a cake for my middle ones birthday. Which means lots of taste testing. So I don't expect to have great macros today. I'm off to lift!
  • suelegal
    Options
    Hey everyone, happy hump day and welcome Julie.

I am back on schedule pretty much. Got up early and did lower body this morning - deads, glute bridges, planks, pushups (OMG horrendous!!) walking lunges, hyperextensions, Russian twists, standing side flexions and some weighted swissball crunches. My upper body workouts will be PT for as long as they keep me.

Still having difficulty getting the eating right, but I think I've improved some. It's so hard for me to get back in gear again!!

Beeps, I'm glad you are enjoying your new gym

Wish I had more time but I have to work!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I havent been here in a while so there is a lot to catch up on.
    Jo, three months with the in-laws? Why would anyone do that??? it sounds awful. and I love my in-laws but after a weekend with them I always want to get away.

Manic, sounds like you have been through a really hard time. I hope you are feeling better and will get back to full health soon.

Barbell, I also have about 15lbs left to lose. It was 4 at one stage but then I started eating all around me.... We got this though, we CAN lose it! And more importantly, got stronger along the way.

Red, yay for the push ups!! I have recently started doing full push ups too. The most I have managed at one time is 8 but I am working on improving that.

Sue, glad you are getting back into it. How is the shoulder? is it still hurting?

I am halfway through stage 6. was planning on doing SL5x5 for a while when I finished the programme but then today I had a moment of madness and I bought Supercharged online so looks like I will be doing that next! I hand in my thesis next week so after that i will be able to devote more time to eating right and working out.