Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Thanks for the welcomes. :-) I'm a workweek user of the site until I get a new phone. I had to delete the app due to memory issues. Soon.

Julie, your progress is amazing! Great job!

I just realized I still had 3 workouts in Stage 3 to do. I did B today. The one thing I can't stand about the RDL/bent over row combo is that I can RDL so much more weight than I can row. I started the stage using 85 for this move. I'm still at 85. I can still barely complete the row. It's so interesting how much more I can row when I'm using the cable machine though. Good ole gravity. I just realized...am I supposed to use DBs for that combo?? LOL if I am. I have the book with me in the gym but never think to refer to it because I think I know what I'm supposed to be doing. smh
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls! It's good to see a change even if the scale isn't saying nice things to me. I'm growing in my independence from the scale!!

Red-wow!! Congratulations!!! Love your epiphanies!! And you're rocking the scale too! WTG!!! :bigsmile: Thanks for sharing your adjustment with me. I'm still adjusting my cals and macros. Hopefully dropping my cals down to 1550 (it's only been a few days) will help. Dropping the carbs to 30% keep the hungries down too. I'll reevaluate again in a month I think.

Love-I'm experiencing something similar with my front squat push press-I can't push press what I squat! I decided to do as many pp as i can then finish the sets with at least front squats. Progress not perfection!

Jo-in our bodypump class we did bench presses lying on the step, with a riser or 2. Gave full range of motion without feet dangling. Not sure if you're lifting too heavy to start that way though. with BP it's lighter weight and higher reps. I'm not doing that anymore, btw, but thought about the set up as an idea.

I live in AZ and we're having record rainfall here. Crazy flooding, schools closed, 200year record broken overnight. So insane! Moving my workout back to later this afternoon...but I am getting it done!
  • mroe2
    mroe2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Julie- AMAZING progress pictures! You are an inspiration! I love your "progress is not perfection" attitude because your change is REAL and good!

Red- love hearing your confidence and pride too! You've worked hard to challenge yourself and push yourself outside your comfort zone.. amazing inspiration too!

I have felt a million times better since I started lifting in stage 2. The B workout was probably the hardest workout I've ever done in my life. Bring it.

Also, I have a mild obsession with this recipe from chocolate covered katie: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/13/single-serving-chocolate-chip-cake-in-a-mug/ . It tastes WAY better than it looks. It's truly satisfying. I've been using coconut oil for the oil, and ran out of my jar yesterday. When I went to buy it again, I was SHOCKED at the saturated fat grams content- 12 gs!! Plus 2 more grams of other fat! With all the hype over coconut oil health benefits, I could not believe that I finished. the. entire. jar. I'm going to replace coconut oil with canola oil, and hopefully see and feel positive results.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    I am jealous of the "ten lbs down". Mind you, i've bugged you, before, to "post pics".....post 'em. it actually helps ALL of us and gives ALL of us some energy.

:)

I hurt my back while hip thrusting, today. So, I did up my weight and, obviously, my form was off b/c I barely walked afterward.

:(

I did some extra stretching...and I have taken advil. I am on a plane in 14 hours.

I will walk as much as I can tomorrow, and will try the weight room at my hotel wed and thurs

Dumb back - but, dumber me for not keeping pristine form when I added more plates on.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Ouch Beeps.

No gym today. Came home to a mess and a migraine.

RE: Benchpress. dbs is about 50lbs (25dbs) and with the bar I can do about 70lbs. Getting the dbs into position without help is the problem. I will usually put my feet on the bench to keep my back flat.

Mroe, the 2B workout is not joke!!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Mroe-thanks!! I think the deal with CO is that it's a medium chain triglyceride (mct) and our body processes it a lot differently than regular oils. If you look online you'll find all kids of testimonials of people who love it and swear it helps them lose weight. I didn't have that experience myself :(, but I'm an odd case. I'm liking stage 2 so far too :).

Beeps-I'm with you, I hurt my lower back-near my hip the other day. I stretched well today which helped, but it gets more sore as I sit. Hope your travel doesn't aggravate it. I have to be really careful, and even then I can hurt it. Sigh.

Stage 2 A number 2 done. Those bent over things are going to be the death of me!! I'm pathetic!! Nearly falling after 5 reps? I reset and do the other 5....but I feel ridiculous! Clearly I need to improve my balance! Gah!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Lovetowrite, I remember having the same issue with that move. I just worked with the heaviest weight I could use for the bent over row and worked on increasing it.

I began Supercharged today with Basic Training 1A and it was really nice to get back to lifting. This workout involved 2 sets of 15 pushups and I've never been able to do that many on the floor, so I moved back up to do them on an incline. And I need to focus on form, not having elbows splayed out to the side. So hard for me! So, I only got in ten reps on each of the two sets but I'll keep working at it. I know it will be worth it in the end.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So I got a trainer to work on bench press. I have some ideas but mostly I think it needs a spotter.
    I felt that my bench was miserable and never improved,
    I think without a spotter dumbells are the way to go. Like you Sam - it is getting the dumbbells into position that is rough,
    With a spot I can do 70 lbs (including the barbell)

Without a spotter I like flys especially superset with seated rows.
    I also like setting up in the rack so that I am lying on the ground and just lower until my elbows hit the ground.

But I've only been working on it for one week sooooooo

This week has been crazy // long commutes and the start of school. Everyone is a little stressed - I hope it all settles out soon

Jul balance is the worst

Pudding nice job on push-ups

Beeps hope it gets better soon
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's Supercharged workout didn't feel that difficult, besides the stupid push ups :P but I am sore today. Especially my obliques and my lats. Guess the side plank with pull was more challenging than I'd thought. I didn't have time to do the intervals yesterday at the end of the workout so I moved them to today and tacked on an extra 15 minutes of steady state jogging on the treadmill. I was dripping with sweat.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    jo, I can definitely out eat any workout (and sometimes I do smdh).

pmag, thanks for the words of encouragement. It made me feel a whole lot better. You too Julie.

julie, great progress!

red, yea, I think I might just have to eat what my body wants that week but in MODERATION. Congrats on finishing stage 4 and especially on getting so close to your goals!

pudding, welcome to Supercharged! I love it so far.

Ladies, just like I thought, I gained last week. 1.4 lbs to be exact. Oh well. Moving on.

So I'm back at work (teaching) and my schedule is FULL. I'm stressed out just thinking about it. My daily commute alone is 3+ hours. Add in all my teaching hours, lesson planning, etc. Plus gym time. Plus family time. Plus planning my wedding. I'm seriously freaking out right now.

My plan for this week:
    1. 3 days of lifting
    2. 1 day of HIIT cardio
    3. 3 days of no junk food
    4. Eat TDEE - 12% in a calorie cycling fashion
    5. At least 25% of calories should come from protein
    6. Drink 6 cups of water daily
    7. 3 servings of veggies daily

Notice I've taken out "no late eating" and I may have to take out HIIT next week as well.

Anyway, heading off to class now. Talk to you gals later.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    jamaicanlady - you are so good with your goal setting. My goal is generally just to get through the week :laugh:

So, with bench and dumbbells I can only do 50lbs, but with the bar I managed 60lbs.... so a definite difference. And like many of you said, its getting the dumbbells into place that is the issue. I guess I need to keep trying different things... no spotter to help so it has to be a method that works with just me on my lonesome. I'll get there.

Day off today, which works out well as I have boob ache, shoulder ache and butt ache (aka DOMS)! xxx
  • mkcongrove1
    mkcongrove1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, is it OK if I just jump in here? I recently started the program, getting ready to go out to my barn and do Stage 1, day 5 (which I believe is a weight increase day if I read the book correctly). So far I have all the equipment to do everything in stage 1 except for the seated row, so I've been doing a bent row with the bar as a substitute.

Guess I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, I'm Michelle, I'm 25 and want to make strength training a part of my weight loss journey :happy:
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Welcome Michelle!

Jo-I'm looking forward to whatever stage adds bench presses. The dumbell version would require more focus I'm sure!

Jamaica-you've got a full schedule!! Hope you can keep all that going!! Sounds like a great plan!!

Pudding-sore is a good sign. I felt that way about stage 2, but man I'm sore today and know something good is happening, kutgw!

Pmagnan-hope things settle down for you guys soon! A PT is a good idea for form help. I could certainly benefit from one!

I did Zumba today which is fun! I will lift again tomorrow. All good. I'm up on the scale, 3lbs from when I joined MFP 7 weeks ago. I've been eating at a deficit, except for 2 days while away on vacation. You would think I'd be down something, right? I do track as accurately as possible. I don't weigh everything, but do measure what I can. Trying not to get too frustrated, but as a long term low carber I am thinking ill need to drop my carbs further to get the scale moving. Sigh. Not sure what that'll do to my energy level for workouts? Gonna give it some more time first.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi all.

Back is not in great shape....we walked as much as my back could take, today. literally I am walking like I have a stick stuck up my *kitten*.

Anyway, the hotel gym is verrrry good, so will give it a whirl tomorrow. Will lower the weight and up the reps.

I am stretching my back while I type this.

Injuries suck. I avoid them. The end.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Beeps I hope you packed your foam roller. Or a couple of tennis balls. Get better soon.

Julie you know your weight changes every day every month. Eat well and keep lifting.

Welcome new ladies

Jo you are very strong and bench press is mostly pecs.
    Only birds really need pectoral muscles. Can you get a spotter once a month?

I lifted tonight but only a short time because work and family both needed me.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Jamaica you are a great planner.
    I want to hear more about the wedding! Pictures
  • QuincyMo
    QuincyMo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've been lurking for a while and decided to hop in when I saw the conversation about the negative deadlifts. I use the squares that you add to adjust the height of the aerobic steps to rest my plates in. They basically serve as a little cradle to keep the barbell from rolling and you can make it as high as you want. I started doing this because my gym only has plates with intermittent flat sides which make them roll all which a ways. The squares keep them in place and fix the height issue.

I did Stage 2B today for the first time, it really does take a long time and I didn't even have time for the cardio at the end. Oh well maybe that will inspire me to get out of bed earlier for the next b day.

I tried out that Strength standards page, it's sort of fun to see! My bench press is the lowest rated lift for me too.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day, ladies!!

I did my last 3A today. I am at the gym, without fail, when the doors open at 5 a.m. M/W/F. There is a core group of folks who are in the gym with me at that time. Today, I have no clue what was going on but there were a lot - A LOT - of extra folks in the gym and it slowed me down. I have to be on my way back home by 6:30 to get the children up and to get myself together to go to work. The extras just slowed me down, which in turn made me "rush" through the BWM (2:27 and 2:14). I thought I was going to die by the end. LOL
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, and welcome Michelle & Quincymo. I was going to post Monday but I never got around to it. TOM is lurking around the corner & I can feel I'm being a moody b*tch. I hate feeling like I'm on an emotional roller coaster & can't get off. Today I can feel my bloat & I'm just staying away from the scale.

Red I'm in aww of your posting, it lightened my mood and made me feel like everything we're doing here has its purpose and we are actually accomplishing it. You're a bad *kitten* and totally inspiring.I'm just going to put you up here on this pedestal for a while where we can all admire you.:flowerforyou:

I meant to do my first workout in stage 3 B on monday but I got caught up making lunch for the week and then dinner & spcial veggie mix for my BF so it never happened, then I was goind to do it last night but that is my BF's workout night and I didn't want to start lifting at 8pm then eat it was just too late, so I will lift tonight. I'm accepting my grumpies for now and just getting off my butt at work more and doing more of my BF's work. ( yes we work together, he was my co worker for 6 yrs before we started dating and now we live together, Idk how we're now killing eachother yet :laugh: ) At least we know the BS we deal with at work so we can identify with eachother's gripes.

Julie, where in AZ are you? I live in Tolleson and work by Desert Ridge by Scottsdale and the rain was no joke, we weren't sure if we were going to make it in to work. I hope you didn't get too much flooding. And they say we're in for more rain like that next week.:noway:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Had a verrrry good workout at the hotel.

Then I tried walking - which still hurts my back!

So, will just lift weights everyday (lower weight, but much higher volume). And lie by the pool.

Which is what I am doing right now.m :)