Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• I had to miss the gym today for a PTO meeting but I am hoping to go back tomorrow. It will depend on my daughter's homework load.

The references to minecraft make me laugh. My daughter is obsessed too and especially loves the stampy videos on youtube. I swear his voice is starting to invade my dreams--I hear it all of the time. LOL

I am really struggling with reaching my protein macros. The items I have selected so far have been too high in carbs and fats as well. So that is my goal for this week to try to work on upping my protein in lower fat/lower carb ways. :smile:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sue good to read about you. I'm glad you get a break

Beeps how did you decide your program ?

Nice job pudding

I had a good workout today and I got some errands and shopping done. My youngest has not made a list yet. But I am almost done with everyone else. Except my mother inlaw . She is arriving next week so I'd better get on it.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sam...definitely need a like button!! You guys are killing it!!

Beeps-is that Jamie Eason's program by any chance? I have been thinking of doing her 4 day routine...found on bodybuilding.com too!

Love-I was going to do it again...but am not sure now. youre doing great in 6!!!

Ali-I think it's tightened up my legs a lot. And all over I feel more solid. No scale loss though :(. Glad you had a good weekend!

Sue-welcome back! Sorry for the gain and the long hours..enjoy a few weeks home and pumping iron!

Phoenix-I'm fiddling around with my macros a bit...trying to up my protein. I'm learning that I need to pack a bunch in early in day-protein shake post workout really helps too!

Dou-yes, I've definitely lost inches and fat throughout this past 6 months on NR. I need to add it up and do pics. I saw the most progress on the tape measure, caliper and in photos in the first 4 stages...newbie gains maybe? I will try to post pics...
    Cold...no likey :(. Big part of why we moved to AZ. Summer is rough, but worth it!! Hang in there and keep warm!!

I never made it to te gym today. I'm just not looking forward to doing stage 7 again. I really loved it during it, even though I dreaded it. .l may drop it to 3 sets instead of 4? not sure. I think my probelm is I want to do something different, but havent figured out my next move. I haven't done a rest week since August so I think that'll happen too. Torn between SL 5x5 and the Jamie Eason 4 day split. Maybe after a good rest week I'll feel like tacking 4 days. Hmmm...
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Wow, heaps to catch up on!

Sue - good to see you back. You'll get that off in no time and the strength will be quick to return.

Re Minecraft - oh yes, this is basically the language spoken by my three. I'm so sick of it we are now having screen time free December! No gaming, computers, ipods etc etc etc. TV only when I decide. Can't take the arguing and nagging about it any more this year!

Protein - feel free to browse my diary. I get a fair whack of protein per day so you can maybe get ideas?

Someone asked before about stronglifts and being bored? I don't know the answer - I'm only 2 workouts in. I can imagine it being quite epically difficult later on. I know what you mean about becoming boring but if it's quick, it might be ok to change things up with accessory lifts/ exercises as we go?

So today I got my final grades for my degree - this last semester was all high distinctions - hurrah! I can finally qualify!

Rest day for me - well needed.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Dou...palpitations? I have not gotten them...could it be because of the breathing/tempo while lifting?

Sue...aw, good luck with the next trial, go get 'em!

Stronglifts and boredom? For me it is the contrary, I am beginning to warm up to it...I find that it gives one time to concentrate on adding more weight...but then I am sure there will come a time when I can no longer move a particular weight...ugh...then I will have to switch..

Does anyone know of a great app for iTouch that can be used to track activities like stair-climber, weight lifting, walking, etc? One that does not need to be GPS-enabled? I tried mapmyfitness, but it seems it does not have manual input.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm back :) Sorry about being MIA, was just not in a good place.

I don't remember what I posted the last time but basically went to see the Dr since wrist and knees were hurting. He thought it was a viral disease (called Chikungunya) but no easy way to know for sure. I thought it was RA. He ordered some tests done and told me no gym for 3 weeks. I got depressed and started eating pure junk. Fast forward 3 weeks. Knee and wrist still hurts. Went back to the dr. He said all the tests came back negative (for RA, sickle cell, etc., kidneys functioning properly, etc.). He doesn't think its anything "ominous" (his word) and suggested it might be bursitis. I told him I'm concerned because it's not going away. He prescribed a gel to rub the knee for the next 2 weeks then I go back to see him. I also have to take ibuprofen 3 times daily.

I started back the gym yesterday against Dr's orders. I just can't stay away any longer. And when I don't exercise I just can't eat healthy. The wedding is 2 weeks away and I look awful. Need to get into some kind of shape between now and then. Pray for me.

Ok, I'm going back to read the pages and pages of posts I missed. (I'm excited for some reason :D )
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    JL-good to see you! Sorry you're still hurting. Hope the cream (and lifting ) helps! I'm sure it's not as bad as you feel...a few weeks of junk can't change you that much. I'm sure it's just how you feel? Either way, do what you feel up to and enjoy the last few weeks leading up to your wedding!! How exciting!! Praying of you!

I was asking about SL..thanks Jo and BP. I think I'll start with that. Maybe even today? Not sure...I'll bring my stage 7 papers with me to the gym. Do you both do a lot of warm up sets like they recommend? I don't typically...l think I should start though.

Jo-congrats on doing so well!! Enjoy a rest day!!

BP-sorry, I do not know of any apps...but I'm sure there must be something?

Heading to the gym. I think I'm losing my mojo a bit...just feel tired. Do you all take breaks? I haven't in a while, took 5 days off for a trip in late August but did workout one day while there. Maybe I just need a break. Gonna lift today, and try for zumba tomorrow. If I'm still in a funk, I'll take a break the rest of the week while I regroup and refocus. Maybe once I'm back in the gym I'll be excited again?
  • Julieboolieaz
    edited December 2014
    Options
    And here is a decent before/after NROLFW from July until now. And I'm not even sucking it in or flexing!.. I see improvement, but like I said before, I think it looked better in the middle of it... For the record, I weigh 3 lbs more than when I started, but have lost some inches and 6% BF! The bf was my main goal!!
    gxh69lfa2pro.jpg
  • elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So glad everyone is making it through the Holidays so far, with minimal damage! I have made it so far too, with (surprisingly) no scale gain... but definite muscle gain. yippee!
    And all going to plan, my next rest week will line up right with the week between xmas and NYE, so that is just beautiful!

JL - maybe you can combine an anti-imflammatory diet to help with the possible bursitis? Diet can really help (or hurt) those sort of things. Hope you feel better soon... sounds terrible :(

Dou - what sort of palpitations are you getting?
    This is probably unrelated, but when i got pregnant,the shift in my hormones made it so that I became able to feel odd palpitations too. Many tests later... Turns out I have a normal heart abnormality that causes extra beats... but I never knew or felt it until I was pregnant! Normal but abnormal, because its nothing to be concerned about even though its abnormal. Weird! Anyways, I am wondering if hormonal changes from lifting/exercise could also change awareness in the body? Or possibly overexertion causing it too?

Hope everyone else has a great week and keep it up, ladies!
  • elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    and WOW Julie!!!!!!!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    and WOW Julie!!!!!!!

I agree with this. Julie, you look amazing!! I wish I could see results like those.

ellie, are there different types of palpitations? I don't know. When I was sick a couple of years ago I had lots of EEGs done so i know that my heart is healthy. Bepee, i do think it is related to breathing somehow. Its almost like I breath in 'wrong' and my heart just goes crazy on me.
    I went back to the gym today and redid the workout with no problems. And I am seeing it as a plus because I had decided to do cross over step ups but I decided yesterday that they weren't challenging enough so I redid workout 1 today and replaced them with single leg romanian deadlifts.

welcome back JL. Sorry to hear that things haven't been going well for you. Take it easy at the gym and don't risk hurting yourself again!

Julie, yes I take breaks but they are normally when I can't make it to the gym. So I might take 5 days off here or a week off there but they are never planned. I think its a good idea to do it and I will probably take one at over christmas because I doubt ill be able to get to the gym regularly.

Congrats on your results Jo. I hope you are celebrating tonight!

• Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    JL welcome back, missed you. Sorry you're still hurting? I don't know if this is helpful or not but I was diagnosed with tendonitis in my wrist and I was suppose to wear a brace. The pain was awful, I'd wake up at night crying. I also had terrible pain in my right knee that got worse when I started working out ( cardio type of stuff) I had gotten to the point that I wore a brace there too & I had tons of creams and anti inflammatories but nothing seemed to work, but oddly enough when I started this program it all started to go away. I don't know if building the strength helped or the change in my diet but for the most part I'm pain free in my wrist & knee. There are certain times that my knee aches like if I over do it & certain exercises like the neg chin up that I feel a twinge in my wrist so I stop the excercise, but other than that I'm good now. But you may be completely different since you have already been lifting & working out.
    I'm also sure you don't look awful, you are beautiful, you just feel down. Now its time to pick yourself up dust off the cookie crumbs and eat better again. ( I need to do this too, perhaps this is a pep talk for me as well ;) ) Once you get your diet back on track you'll feel better. Maybe a little excercise will perk your mood too, just please be careful and don't over do it ( no limping down the aisle). And we need pictures of the gorgeous bride!!!
  • Ali_momof2
    Options
    Julie you look fantastic!! And you should take a break!

Jo I love your take on the screen time. I have banned youtube in my house for the kids because I am so tired of them watching videos of someone else playing minecraft while they play minecraft. And great job on your final grades!! Rest day is well deserved and a little celebration too.

Dou, you may want to get that checked out. It may be nothing but you also don't want to end up on the floor of the gym either. Sorry your workout got cut short, that would annoy me too.

Pudding, using the big girl plates, thats awesome! Its always such a good feeling when we can use the big stuff.

Ellie good job on not gaining, I'm having a hard time with that right now. And that is the perfect timing for a break.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Sue, welcome back! Sorry you lost trial but hopefully you can win the appeal! And I'm sure those 7 pounds will be gone before you know it. Man, your 15-18 hours a day gave me nightmares of my old job. I'm a legal secretary and used to work for trial attorneys. Loved the OT money but hated actually working for it! :lol:
    When I got to the gym everything went fine for the first 20 minutes but then I got palpitations and had to quit. I was so mad! Does anyone else ever get palpitations when working out? I get them maybe twice a year and it is horrible. Don't know what causes it but when it happens all I can do is sit down and wait for it to pass

I get them a lot when I'm stressed. That's the best I have for you. I'm sorry that it's happening and hope they don't come back!

Julie, you look absolutely amazing. I took a rest week between every stage of this program. I think rest weeks are very important for rebuilding and to just give your body a break. It definitely sounds like you're burned out. Take a break, woman! :smile:

JL, I'm glad you're back but sorry you're still hurting. Like someone else said, I'm sure you don't look awful. Be careful in the gym though. You don't want to cause any damage, especially so close to your big day! I hope the gel works.

Jo, great job on the grades!

Today has been a day and it's only 1:45 in the afternoon. :disappointed: Teenagers really push your limits of sanity sometimes. In my case, my 17-year-old son. I pray he gets over whatever is bothering him soon because I don't know how much I can take!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Thank you Julie, I will keep looking.

Jamaica, welcome back! You were missed! Do not be so down...I know it does not help to say not to worry, for worrying you will...but do the best you can, that is all anyone including yourself can ask. Take heed to pace yourself though, it would be of no use to look forward to wearing that dress, if you will have fallen apart....and you will make a most beautiful bride - your wedding is what you and your sweetheart make it!! Good luck.

Julie, looking soooo good! Bravo lady!!

I too have hip trouble from an incident years back (I was almost a victim of mugging...well, the three hoodlums thought they would take advantage of a lady, standing alone under a streetlight, waiting for the bus...but alas! This was not to be. I did tell them that I may get injured, but there was no way they were going to take my possessions - lol, in hindsight, maybe I should have let them, but my instincts told me they were looking for more than just a mugging...fast forward to a few minutes later....some broken ribs, a very sore hip and broken toes for my part,the last of the miscreants limped away...and I had my purse and "dignity" intact, save for when I got to the hospital and they made me wear that horrid-looking gown with the "vents" in the back lol).

So the hip never completely healed...and all kinds of tests showed nothing out of place. Thus I have had to make adjustments to mi workout regimen - for instance, I cut down on cardio on mi non-lifting days...and for cardio days, instead of taking the three classes in one evening, I take one...Sometimes the hip misbehaves, but it never is as bad as it used to be. And too much cardio would be counter-productive for my lifting anyway.

Just came in from Zumba....aaahhhh...I love the high :smiley:
  • Julie--you look amazing. I hope I can have results half so good!

JL--I am sorry to hear you are still in pain. I have had friends struggle with pain that the doctors could not find a cause for. I wish I had some idea of how to help but I will send you all kinds of positive thoughts.

I went to the gym to do Stage 2 Workout 1B and completely bombed. I had had a rotten day at work which I think contributed to the funk. I got to the Reverse Lunges and I just couldn't do it. I did the crunches. I did a little of the accessory work my trainer has recommended. But I did not finish the workout as written. :frowning: I am sad, but at the same time I am glad I took the break that my body obviously needed. I have accepted it may take me a long time to get through this program--but what's the rush. I am not in a sprint. I want this to be a lifestyle change. So if I finish a little later than I originally hoped well that is just more time before I have to find another program to follow. :smile:

I want to comment on more but my eyes are so tired that I am propping them up with toothpicks. I am going to go give my body its much needed rest. Good night Ladies!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Julie you look great

Jl your wedding will be amazing

Beepejaye I am sorry you had a tough experience
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I am having a relaxed week with lots of rest as intended. I did yoga today for my workout .
    It is hard to avoid cardio (. No biking to work or swimming with kids) but hopefully I will be well rested on Saturday. I have few cheesy plans I will wear one daughter s socks and the others shirt for good luck.
    Mostly I am excited to see how it all works. I ve been planning for a long time. I even have three days off from work.
    Tomorrow is my last scheduled workout another light one just to remember how to bench and squat.

• Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Pmag-it's exciting!! Good luck to you! Can't wait to hear about it. And thanks.

BP-wow! So sorry that happened to you! But good for you! Sorry for the lingering pain, but Gladys can do most of your fitness goals! And thanks :).

Phx-thanks! And yes!!! Lifestyle change is the key! Take it slow and keep good form...you'll get there!

Love-thanks! :) I'm planning a break over Christmas and am reducing repeat stage 7 to 3 sets, which is much nicer! I just don't want to get out of the habit. And I hear you on teenagers...my dd is 14 and we homeschool! There are days I refer to as "near death experiences" for her! :angry:

Ali-thanks! Hope stage 6 is working well for you!

Dou-thanks! Glad you're feeling better...low single leg Rdl!

Ellie-thanks! And muscle gain with no scale gain? WTG! :heart_eyes: love it!

I'm doing fine, got my lifting in yesterday, felt good. Added some core work which felt surprisingly good. It's nice to kind of have a plan yet the freedom to add or remove as I see fit....I'm getting better at knowing what to do! Not doing any cardio right now, but should probably add some back in. Dd(14) wants to start going to the gym, so I'll probably add some cardio if/when I take her. I don't really lose better with cardio though, but maybe this time I will? Worth a shot, but honestly, I like only going 3x/week....I'll enjoy it through December :). Then a week off before January (I think). Still narrowing down my new lifting plan. Bodybuilding.com has lots of options and SL 5x5 is a front runner....it's like a candy store...wendler 5:3:1 is appealing too!
  • Ali_momof2
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Pmag, it is exciting and I love your plan. I'm sure that having something of your girls will bring you luck and positive thoughts.

BP that's am awful thing that happened, but wow you really stood up for yourself and didn't go without a fight. Thats very empowering to hear.

I want to ask your opinions of an incident that happened yesterday. As many of you know my nephew and sister live with me. My nephew got in trouble at school yesterday for hitting a younger child ( he's 12 and the other boy is a 3rd grader so about 9) with a stick until it broke skin. He said that the other kid knocked his glasses off by accident & he hit him by accident (3 times). The principal called and wants my sister to discipline him at home since it happend when they were walking home. She said he would take away tv and video games for a week but said she really doesn't want to deal with him sulking and trying to watch tv so she'll just have him do some chores instead. My son was there and saw the whole thing and says that it didn't happen like that. The other boy wanted to see his pokemon card and pretended to take it in a joking manner & my nephew beat him with the stick even when my son told him to stop, but my sister doesn't want to hear this. I feel my nephew needs to be punished more severely than having to take out the trash. Violence is not tolerated by me. Will I be over stepping if I punish him more? Keep in mind I love my sis but she's a bit slow and a crap partent. I've been stepping in as mom to my nephew for yrs. I really don't want to make my sister mad, but her cop out of not wanting to deal with him is b.s. someone has to teach this child what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Should I let her non punishment go or not?