Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Jo-bummer on all the tight and soreness! Sounds like muscle spasms? A nice vacation will do you good. Sorry your 2015 goals are delayed, but you'll hit it hard when you can!
    I got last minute call offering me a spot in the RN program at Anoka Ramsey Community College, Cambridge Campus in MN. Stressful part is it all starts this Monday. Going to be a busy lady. Already feeling stressed as so much to get done in a short time frame to be ready by Monday.

Also trying to figure out when to workout now? want to stick to my plan but it might have to be modified.
    Ok, too funny! My nephew goes to Anoka Ramsey, and my niece did too (she played soccer for them and my nephew plays soccer there too). They live in Zimmerman, near Elk Rriver. Not sure where the Cambridge campus is though? Hope you can work your schedule so the workouts can be a break for you. Congrats!

Dou- :( on the gym etiquette! I understand newbies and trying to get started with something is a challenge, but pay attention and be mindful people! But good for you getting it done! WHT check into any bret contreras videos. That's who I watch - the booty guy ;).

Bb-I was thinking of the same type of addition to wendler too. I like glute bridges/ht a lot. I like a split since I want to lift 4x/week...but I love the compound lifts too. They combine both in one which is nice. You're sweet to help your friend. Is she open to your feedback? I have friends who have talked about lifting with me, but no one has really followed through on it. I was helping my dd(11) a bit last night, but she's definitely too young to follow much instruction ;). It's cute she wants to go at least :).

So, I am a bit sore today. I'm happy with that! I guess the SL is accomplishing something ;). The ice cream fitness has a good amount of accessory lifts added to the SL basic program. So that's a contender too :). All good. Gonna lift tomorrow again. I've missed it!!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I totally slept in. And instead of going to the gym lounged on the couch watching basketball tonight.
    Hope you guys keep hitting it hard.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Public service announcement...

Don't get cranky about something and do a hard body weight workout (which includes 2 different types of squats) to clear your head the day before actual lifting day (which has high-rep back squats) and then follow that up with a brisk walk along the river and dragging the kids through the city and over the bridge to the train.

My legs.
    My butt.

oooowwwwwwww.

And that's all I have to say about that :wink:

Is that hard enough Pmag? LOL

I'm looking for pictures. I need more pics in my life in this thread. Like, for realz.

Bennett, congrats!! Plans can be modified. I do it several times a year when things change. Swim season, footy (AFL) season, husband's work/uni etc etc etc. You'll find something that works :smile:

For all my lovelies dealing with bad gym etiquette.... I'll just wander on into my garage and arrange everything just the way I like it :stuck_out_tongue: That was mean, I know :smiling_imp:
    But, hopefully it will all settle down sooner rather than later. Can't get over the walking across someone's mat and nicking the bench though. That's just plain rude.

Jo, I expect to see you having lots of rest chickadee!

I'm hot. I have decided humidity sucks today.
    It was nice walking along the river and having lunch with the husband though. Even if we were hot, sweaty messes at the end lol

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Another lifting day with SL for me. Was nice after the two days from lifting to get back to the gym and I didn't have work today.

Squat - I played around a bit between high bar and low bar. I've been doing high bar as it has felt the most comfortable. I did my warm ups doing a set with high bar then a set with low bar. 65, 85, and 115 with 5 reps and 1 set of each. Then I did 5x5 with 130.

Bench - Warmup then 5x5 @ 80, which feels fine after the deload. I'm hoping 85 goes just as well next time.

Row - Okay, I did the actual row recommended with SL this time. The setup is still a struggle since I was only doing 80 lbs. I got it and I do like the motion a bit more when setting on the ground. I did 4x5 at the 80 then 1x5 at 95. I'll try it again next time with the 25's for all 5 sets.

Accessory:
    3x8 dumbbell bench press with 25's
    3x8 dumbbell row with 22.5's

Then did a little walking on the treadmill. Not bad overall.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Friday!

So...I didn't remove myself from my warm bed again this morning so I only went to the gym once this week. smh I'll do better next week. I only have 4 workouts left in Stage 7. I can do this.

I was going to do SL next but after reading a bit more about it, I decided I need something else. I would love to build strength but I have a lot more fat to burn off my body. I just feel like it might be counterproductive to my goals to build now. I don't know. I'm confused.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Pmag-I'd have slept in too :)

DNA-blech on humidity! But a full day and lots of lifting! Go girl! Sore butt and legs! :)
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Another lifting day with SL for me. Was nice after the two days from lifting to get back to the gym and I didn't have work today.

Squat - I played around a bit between high bar and low bar. I've been doing high bar as it has felt the most comfortable. I did my warm ups doing a set with high bar then a set with low bar. 65, 85, and 115 with 5 reps and 1 set of each. Then I did 5x5 with 130.

Bench - Warmup then 5x5 @ 80, which feels fine after the deload. I'm hoping 85 goes just as well next time.

Row - Okay, I did the actual row recommended with SL this time. The setup is still a struggle since I was only doing 80 lbs. I got it and I do like the motion a bit more when setting on the ground. I did 4x5 at the 80 then 1x5 at 95. I'll try it again next time with the 25's for all 5 sets.

Accessory:
    3x8 dumbbell bench press with 25's
    3x8 dumbbell row with 22.5's

Then did a little walking on the treadmill. Not bad overall.
    Good workout! you're kicking it! What is your conclusion on low vs big bar? I switched bskcntonhigh bar lately to be more upright in my squats...still not sure which I prefer? I may need to work on my row more. I'm doing the NR row, not the SL row. You think all the way the floor is good? I may switch it up, I'm gonna add more accessories today as I'll be lifting alone :).

Love-stage 7 is hard to leave a warm bed to do ;). Like the new pic. Who's the handsome fella with you? ;) you look good :). I'm doing SL but still trying to decide if I want to do it. :smiley: there is no end point of goal to it, so I'll likely keep going with it for a while and then move to a split. I want to lift 4x/week, but haven't figures out my best routine for a split.

I'm still sore today!! Yay! Off to do my SL this morning. Hate OHP. :( but it's DL day!! Those I like!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Okay, weighted hip thrusts:

A. Go to Bret C's ("the glute guy) website. He has written TONS of blogs on WHT, different styles of them, etc. All with great videos. Check it out!

B. I do WHT because I have lazy-*kitten* glutes that do NOT fire with squats. WHT hit my glutes. Squats hit my quads. I want glute work!

C. Saw a dude doing WHT when I arrived at the gym Wednesday morning.

BOOM!

It is catching on!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today is 1,111 on my mfp ticker!

BOOM!

I weight-trained every single day this week! That's 5-in-a-row, ladies!

BOOM!

I am heading into a job interview right now.

BOOM!

I feel AWESOME! 2015 is MY year!

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Honestly, I'm more comfortable with high bar as opposed to low bar, but it might partly be because I hadn't done the low before. According to the youtube video I was watching for form tips, many can lift more with low bar but it felt awkward. I might need to try it again to practice with a lighter weight some day to get a better feel for the particular move.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Okay, weighted hip thrusts:

A. Go to Bret C's ("the glute guy) website. He has written TONS of blogs on WHT, different styles of them, etc. All with great videos. Check it out!

B. I do WHT because I have lazy-*kitten* glutes that do NOT fire with squats. WHT hit my glutes. Squats hit my quads. I want glute work!

C. Saw a dude doing WHT when I arrived at the gym Wednesday morning.

BOOM!

It is catching on!

Yup, I love Bret. Considering buying strong curves for more details and to support him. Been doing glute bridges for a while and moved to hip thrusts recently. Did 45lb (the bar) today. Gym was crowded and dragging the bar to the bench area was awkward, but I like it enough to do it ;). I love squats, but I agree they don't do much for my buttocks...more legs. Thanks for your why :). I'm looking forward to adding more weight to the bar so it's easier to get my legs under the bar. For now I just awkwardly drag it on top of my lap.

Beeps-you're so rocking it!! 5 days? Killing it! And you'll blow them away at this interview. Great attitude and good luck!

Got a decent workout in today despite the january crowd. :( did all my OHPs-which is great for me. My neck and shoulder still put up protest to this move, and I'm so weak the bar alone is tough, but I did it! :) my DL is up to 95lb, which is forward progress too! All good stuff! Added some accessory work too...so I'm more content with SL today. I'm all over the place, but will keep going with an enhance SL and enjoying the WHT too. Plan to add weight to that each visit too :).
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm more comfortable with high bar as opposed to low bar, but it might partly be because I hadn't done the low before. According to the youtube video I was watching for form tips, many can lift more with low bar but it felt awkward. I might need to try it again to practice with a lighter weight some day to get a better feel for the particular move.

How far apart are your legs when you're squatting? I've been experimenting a bit with this and settled back on about shoulder width apart.
    I did high bar today, and am now getting confused on my upright-ness. My chest wants to bend down more while doing them after doing the low bar ones? I need to watch some more videos and watch my form a bit more in the mirror I think. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    How far apart are your legs when you're squatting? I've been experimenting a bit with this and settled back on about shoulder width apart.
    I did high bar today, and am now getting confused on my upright-ness. My chest wants to bend down more while doing them after doing the low bar ones? I need to watch some more videos and watch my form a bit more in the mirror I think. :)

For the most part I do about shoulder width apart as well. I played a little with it when I dropped the weight down to work on depth recently but tend more towards this. Though I've tried recently pointing my toes out just a little bit instead of straight forward after watching Train Untamed footage. It does help to have that slight change because I don't feel my stomach resting on top of my legs as much when I do that compared to when they are straight forward.

Though I also am still figuring out how to get it off the rack cause I used to do more of a lunge pose first. I'm trying it now with getting set up under the bar though I do have to push up just a tad (not quite toes like before when I took turns with taller coworker but a little bit) cause it's that or have it set up even lower which would be a little too low even for me.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    dnamouse wrote: »
    For all my lovelies dealing with bad gym etiquette.... I'll just wander on into my garage and arrange everything just the way I like it :stuck_out_tongue: That was mean, I know :smiling_imp:

Thanks Dna you just made me laugh so hard at that. I do like that I work out athome, but sometimes I wish I had more equipment.

Dou, I'm soingthe 2nd workout in stage 7 tonight. I don't know how you finished that workout, I think I would have lost it & told someone off.

Bennett congrats on the RN & the pants size, very nicely done.

Bb, you're such a good friend and I know you never know when to push someone to try a bit harder or if that is all they've got. I've run into this problem when doing things like hiking with my BF.

Love, you are looking good, love the new pic and its always nice to see a guy on here from time to time ;) I'll always welcome that ! I can't blame you for notgetting out of bed either. I've beena total slacker lately.

Missy, your abs look great. Whatever you're doing is working.

Julie, I have the strong curves book and I like how it looks. There seems to have more of a structure to it with an end point, but several different programs.

Beeps this is your year. You are going to rock it at that job interview. I wish you good luck, but I know you're going to do great!.

I'm going for the double workout today which could be good to work out some frustration, Sorry Dna for not listening to your Public Service Announcement :p
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thanks for all the well-wishes. The interview went very well. I expect they will invite me back to their offices next week.

Meanwhile, I have a weekend full of kidlet-activities. I mean FULL. Startimg at 4:30 with som's winter baseball camp.

Baseball! It is friggin' -26 here today! Anyhow....more baseball all weekend (batting camp and pitching camp....), plus son's basketball and daughter's hockey. I am zzzzzzzzzzz already.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Congrats bennett! On both the NSV and being accepted for the RN program.

dou, I'm getting mad just reading about your recent gym experience.

Regarding the shoes, I only use it for weightlifting right now, specifically squatting. It helps me to keep my torso more upright and to get better depth since there is a little bit of heel on it. I use my regular sneakers for everything else.

Regarding squats, I do high bar because they feel more comfortable. Low bar hurts my back.

dawn, great lifting #s!

love, I totally understand the confusion. I've been there myself. Strength programs are for exactly that, strength. If you have a lot of fat to lose I'd recommend doing NROLSupercharged next or Strong Curves. I've done both. The first 4 phases of Supercharged burned a ton of fat off me. Of course your diet has to be in sync or you could end up spinning your wheels.

beeps, 5 days? That's awesome! Keep at it! And that's great news about the interview. I hope you get the job.

julie, it's going to be tough to get the bar over your legs when you get to a heavier weight but not the big plates yet. For example 85 lbs. For those I had to have someone in the gym put the weight in my lap.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ali, I've always had a predisposition to being muscley but had to get rid of all the fat on top. I can't wait for the 6 pack ;).

All this talk about weighted hip thrusts is convincing me I should incorporate them. The barbell wht intimidate me so I will work my way up to them.

Legs and back today. Deads felt awesome. I keep forgetting to weigh the bar to know how much I'm lifting. For now it doesn't matter too much. Squats and leg press were decent too.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Hey I am watching the elite pl meet in Clackamas or. It is amazing and motivating.
    I know everyone on this thread is busy but meets are awesome. Just check one out - they really help with my workouts.
    - You see different techniques.
    - You see people who look your size lifting heavy and think I can do that too!!!

If you get a chance to check out a meet take it
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Jamaica awesome shoes
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Love, I agree with JL. Strong Curves or Supercharged. If you like structure, do SC, but if you want to be able to change exercises frequently and like planning, then do Supercharged. Both are excellent programs.
    Beeps, I hope you get the job!
    Pmag, I need to check some meets out. The owner of my gym said he watched a girl DL 300lbs at another gym's meet recently. I want to do that!
    I can't do low bar squats- high bar it is for me.
    Zumba plus upper body for me today. Got my NASM book in the mail and studied the first chapter. I'm hoping to be able to test in a few months. Should be interesting.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

A lot of posts since my hangover yesterday! LOL

My butt is still bad. I did some bodyweight work Fri plus bench - didn't get all my reps but didn't think I would - got 4,5,4,4,4. I was sore before I started, so it was a given. That's ok. I'm not logging these as SL workouts as I can't do the lower body stuff yet. I am off to combat today.... yes that's how I hurt it.... but it's the new release and I go on hols Tues so won't get to do it otherwise. I am just going to avoid side/ back kicks on that side and then should be ok.

Re: WHT - these don't interest me right now. My glutes work hard enough (as evidenced by recent injury!)

Re: SL rows vs NROL - now that I'm doing SL I think I prefer rows from the floor. This is also how they are instructed in Starting Strength (Ripptoe). I have however found this is killer on my legs after the squats - but feels safer for my back.

Re: Squat position - my feet are shoulder width or a fraction wider. I am working on having my feet straighter as before they were very turned out. I don't think that helps me get depth and my right knee tended to collapse in a bit. Form looks better with straighter feet for me. High bar - helps me stay upright.

Hi to all the newbies :D

You girls are all smashing it, well done..... I'm going to go sulk some more with my stupid butt cheek and feel sorry for myself..... :(