Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    lifting done for the day.

Also a low-calorie day. Bloat is leaving body and waistline is returning! With steady effort this month, I will be back on track and (hopefully) back at Venus metrics in February.

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio day for me. I'm working on slowly being able to jog. I'll walk most of it but do small bursts of jogging, usually to particular songs on my playlists. Today I managed a 10 minute burst and later 5 minutes. Making progress since a few months ago it was hard to jog 3 minutes.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! I'm sorry I went Mia...been to SCal and Disneyland over the weekend, just back last night! Up a bit on the scale, conscious choice and well worth it! (Churros!). Trying to get back to the gym today...maybe tonight since the family wants to go too! Sigh.

Food prep done, dressed for the gym...off I go!

JL-you look beautiful!
    Ali-congrats!
    Jo-rats, dh mentioned he thinks there's too much squatting in SLs. Do you agree?
    Those who replace squats with WHT (DNA? Dou? Beeps? Can't remember, but there are a few of you)...why? Just to mix it up? Or are you not big squat fans?

Can't remember anymore, sorry! Welcome new SLers! Happy to have you here!

Lets make this a strong year!! :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Gosh, Pmag, that's RUDE. I really feel for those of you who have to work out at bigger gyms. Especially this time of year. I love Lyle McDonald too!
    Pudding, Hypertrophy=craziness. But it is certainly a change of pace from Basic Training.
    Dawn, those are great numbers!
    Sam, I'm glad to see you back! I love hearing about your hubby's racing. Do you get some time to yourself as a trade-off for supporting him?
    Love, I'm with you- we're staying home all day. I can handle the cold, but taking kids out into the 30 mph winds is no fun.
    Beeps, I'm really trying to reign in my cals this month too.
    Julie, I think many of us find that the WHT are much more effective for the booty. I tend to do both, but I do squats mostly because they are more "full body" for me- and I don't try to set any PRs with them. I really struggle with them. Hip Thrusts are the bomb for hammies and glutes.
    I did a Gillian Micheals video for some cardio today. While I'm not a huge fan of her methods, I love watching her and I love that she knows what it's like to be overweight and unfit. When she was doing some arm exercises, she had some jiggles on her triceps- I can totally identify with that!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Oh, and I signed up to start my PT certification today. I'm really nervous about it for some reason, but I just feel like I should do it. Why? Who knows. Just call it a quest for knowledge. We'll see where it takes me.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Way to go Barbell. Congratulations. I had all day today to myself. it was indeed awesome.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    bb sounds like a good plan. If I lived closer I'd sign up.

Sam what a cool race. Glad you got some alone time

Nice to see some changes beeps

Love it is hard to get out of bed at five. It is dark and cold. So when I am snuggled down in my warm bed I have to remember "the gym is less crowded get going!" Maybe I will remember that guy moving my stuff...
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    barbell, that is awesome. i would love to do something like that.
    Red, I am with everyone else, show us some pics! :smiley:
    JL, its completely normal that the adjustment is difficult. You both have your own routines which need to be changed. Just keep talking to each other and before you know it your new routine will have become the new normal.
    Welcome Dawn, I found lifting really helped with my running. For a long time I was stuck on running for 10 minute intervals and couldn't progress, then I stopped running for a while and focused on lifting and when I went back to it I found I could run for 30 mins without stopping!
    Pma, the gym sounds like an absolute nightmare. I hope it clears out soon. I haven't been yet this year. I was sick after new year and then I was away with work for the last couple of days. Got home late last night so am trying to psyche myself up to work out later today. I don't want to but I'm afraid that I am developing a habit of not exercising so I need to get back to it.
    Ok I have officially lost track of who I have and have not replied to. To those I didn't get to, keep lifting!! :smile:
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning! It's a nice and toasty 10 degrees outside and the wind is supposed to pick up later. Oh joy. Thankfully, it'll be a balmy 30+ tomorrow so I will get up and out the door to the gym in the a.m.

Pmag, I'm usually really good about getting up when my alarm goes off at 4:20 but just knowing how cold it was kept me from moving. It would take that much longer to warm the car up and then leaving the gym all sweaty...yeah, I was making excuses. LOL I'll be up at 'em tomorrow morning.

Welcome back, Julie! It sounds like you had a lovely weekend.

Dou, no slacking! We can't both be slackers. :smile: I hope you're feeling better!
    Oh, and I signed up to start my PT certification today. I'm really nervous about it for some reason, but I just feel like I should do it. Why? Who knows. Just call it a quest for knowledge. We'll see where it takes me.

One of the trainers at the gym gave me his ACE book because he really thinks I would be a great trainer. So, I'm sure I'll be there with you too!
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, for the compliments and the advice!

Ali, congrats on your new job! Must be exciting

redlips, I want to see pics too! We've been saying that for a while though. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

pudding, gosh, you made me blush. Thanks! Oh and I loved the Hypertrophy phases. Especially after Basic Training.

pmag, I get so frustrated at the gym when it's a new year. Seems like everybody and their momma has a new year resolution of joining the gym. Not to be a gym snob because everyone has to start somewhere, but they usually make my life miserable for a month and a half then things get back to normal. Then they'll return a few weeks before spring break, then summer, and so the pattern goes. But if it were my things that were moved, I would have definitely cussed that person out.

julie, I do both WHT and squats. Like cowgirl said, I like that squats give me a full body workout. But WHT is going to give me that booty I'm lacking.

cowgirl, congrats! I would totally sign up if I could too.

dou, time to get back on track. START TODAY.

I've been (mostly) doing my workouts but I just can't seem to get my eating under control. It doesn't help that DH is in charge of sharing out our meals and he puts a LOT on my plate. Of course I don't have to eat it all, but I just can't stop myself. Anyway, last night a friend whatsapped me saying she needed help. She had lost her workout motivation and I told her I had lost my motivation too. So we both decided to motivate each other and made a plan to start today. So I'm feeling a little better today and gave my last pack of cookies (that I'm addicted to) to my daughter to take to school. And told DH in no uncertain terms that from now on I would be plating my own meals thank you very much.

I'm in a sharing-pics mood this year so here is a new pair of workout shoes I bought for myself. They are Adidas Powerlift 2.0. Not exactly Olympic lifting shoes (the heel is kinda low), more like Crossfit shoes. But I LOVE them. The colour of the heel looks yellow in the pic but is actually lime green.

rpg1rk18tt56.jpg

• Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Welcome Dawn, those are great numbers you have.

Welcome back Julie, missed you. Glad you had a good time, churros sound yummy!

Pmag, what a rude *kitten*. I would have been beyond furious.

I miss NY but I don't miss the winers. I totally feel for you ladies dealing with the cold. I don't want to leave my warm bed and Its not cold here. I think I've been in AZ too long, when I was outside earlier I was all "brrr this breeze is chilly) Its 60 here 60! That is not winter!

BB, that is awesome news! Good luck with your certification.

Dou, I've been worrying about the same problem that I'm losing my good habit. We'll both get back on track.

Beeps, you are starting this year off as a bad *kitten*, keep it up, you're motivating me :D

I am finally feeling a bit better, not 100% but better. I made a stupid mistake of not finishing my antibiotics. I figured the dr wasn't sure I had an infection & they made me feel like *kitten* so I stopped. HUGE mistake ( and really dumb I know). I woke up yesterday at 3:20 with what felt like a UTI from hell ( I know TMI, sorry). And to make matters worse I didn't want to take any medicine because I had to take a drug test for the new job in a few hrs. I am now finishing those antibiotics and I will get more if I need to and I'm ok with looking like I am peeing orange Kool aid( TMI again), at least I don't hurt. I have not worked out since Sunday, my DOMS are almost completely gone so I will do some cardio/HIIT today and tomorrow to get loosened up to lift. I feel like the way things are going I may never finish New Rules, and I've got my book for Strong Curves & I want to start. I want to do these WHT you girls speak so highly of. I've gotten my eating back under control, now to get the workouts there too.

Have a great day everyone (*) <3
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    LOL on a side note, I just realize MFP censored me with stars. Have they always done that or is it new?
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Ali-lol at the sensor. I thought you did that yourself :). I know, I almost feel guilty living in AZ...but we have our summers to deal with ;). Gad you're feeling a bit better? Those antibiotics wreak havoc on my tummy-probiotics help a lot! I like WHT - Bret contreras is a good one to watch, :). Need to figure a less awkward way to do them though!

JL-sounds like you're in the groove and taking control! Cute shoes- and I so get how they can make you more excited to hit the gym! Hope your accountability buddy helps. I need someone like that IRL.

Love-I think you'd be a great trainer! You're so strong! 4:20?! Eek! You go! I'm a sissy!

Dou-hope you get a great workout in and get the bug again!

Red-if you're not ready to post pics we understand...not! Post those pics please!!! We want motivation!! And inspiration!! :)

Pmag-good self talk to get you moving. I'd be all about dealing with the guy who moved your stuff... :mad:

Bb-thanks! I love glute bridges and WHT too...just wasn't sure if anyone was skipping squats intentionally? My knee isn't as fond of squats as it used to be, so I may do WHT on my alternating SL days. How do you maneuver the bar gracefully? I always feel so awkward getting that long bar in place. There so good though! And YAY!! For pursuing your PT cert!! You'll be so good at it and very motivating!! You look great in your avi, btw!

Jo-how's the bum? Hope you're ok! How do you feel about SLs these days? I'm already getting close to maxed on my bench...not sure if I'll stick with it.

Who mentioned wendler's program? I liked that but chickened out. I'm still considering switching it up again. I did SL again last night at the gym and just don't feel like I'm getting as good a workout as I did with NR. I didn't add much to it this time as the whole family went with me...just some abs at the end. I'm not sore and feel like I could go do it again today without any problem. I know it builds, and I'll eventually get to higher weights and plateau, I'm nearly there on bench and OHP, but I'm not excited to do it, Kwim? Anyone do ice cream 5x5? It's got more accessory work thrown in...what do you guys think about splits vs compound routines? I'm open to suggestions and just feel like I'm floundering a bit too much. Even though I found some of the stages a bit fussy in NROLFW I liked having direction. :)
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the get better wishes. I am improved but not right by a long shot. Both my legs seem to have seized up - quads and glutes.... my back feels tight and I am generally sore. I have done upper body earlier in the week but have generally slacked off. I am going today to work on bench and take my legs through some body weight stuff to see if use actually helps remedy the tightness. Next week we go away for 10 days so I'm basically looking at a fortnight off. But today I am going to book personal training sessions to check my form on the big lifts.... so my 2015 is on the back burner for a bit.

There are a LOT of squats in SL but you'd be fine if you didn't have pre existing issues. My body has flexibility issues which is not helping. Hopefully my form is ok - I try hard to get it right. We will see.
  • girlstrionce
    girlstrionce Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got last minute call offering me a spot in the RN program at Anoka Ramsey Community College, Cambridge Campus in MN. Stressful part is it all starts this Monday. Going to be a busy lady. Already feeling stressed as so much to get done in a short time frame to be ready by Monday.

Also trying to figure out when to workout now? want to stick to my plan but it might have to be modified.
  • girlstrionce
    Options
    NSV- I am also able to fit into a 14 jean again! :)
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful news. Congratulations Bennett! This is a stupid question but does RN stand for nursing?

I made it out the door to the gym this evening. And there were people everywhere!! It's normally so quite in my gym so I really didn't like it. When I laid out my mat to do some warm ups at the start a girl walked straight across it and left a muddy shoe print in the middle of it! Later when I was doing reverse lunges from a step another girl walked right behind me as I was lunging backwards, hit off my leg and almost knocked me over. Then when I needed a bench some guy hogged the last one available so that he could send a text message. Just as I was about to ask him to move he started doing some work - curls with 5kg dumb bells while sitting on the bench!! :angry:
    - I had a reasonably good workout in the end but had to lower weights because I felt quite weak after my lazy couple of weeks. At least I am back at it.

I have tried doing WHTs but I can't seem to get my form right so I gave up on them. If anyone has a recommendation for a good youtube video to watch that would be much appreciated.

JL, I love the shoes. Let us know what they are like to work out in. I need to get new shoes for the gym. I have been using my running shoes which are falling apart and need to be replaced so I think I need to get two pairs, one for running and one for lifting. But I can't afford two pairs so not sure what to do.

Ali, that sucks that you are still feeling sick. How much do you have left in New rules? I hate when programmes drag on for ages because i can't work out. I get so bored of it. I am feeling that way now with BT2 but I want to make sure I do all of the workouts so that I am able to progress in BT3.

Julie, I'm afraid I can't help. i have only done the new rules programmes but I think i want to try 5x5 when I am done. Either that or strong curves. And also, I saw on facebook that later this year there Lou is publishing a new book that will be a follow on the NROLFW so maybe I will do that. So many options...
  • girlstrionce
    Options
    @ DouMc, RN stands for Registered Nurse.

Glad you got your workout in and yes the new year resolutioners have packed the gym and lack manners in my opinion.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Jo, I'm sorry! I wish I had some advice- but you know as much about that stuff as I do!
    Bennett, congrats on the sz 14 jeans and the acceptance into the RN program!
    Dou, I'll be glad when the New Year's rush is over. A lot of people don't understand gym etiquette.
    Julie, I'm doing Wendler's next. I like that it is simple but still a split routine. I will probably add some shoulder work in on upper body days and then will sub hip thrusts in there somewhere. I haven't done a pure strength program for a long time. It will be nice to just focus on increasing my weights.
    JL, I love those shoes!!! I want a pair of lifting shoes, but I still do plyo and some HIIT and I don't want to have to change shoes during a workout. Do those seem to hold up for other activities? We'll try to keep ya motivated!
    Today was upper body. Nothing too impressive. My friend is lifting with me now. She's a beginner and is aiming to lose quite a bit of weight. It's hard to know the balance between pushing her and over doing it. I've really been trying help her realize this is a marathon, not a sprint, and form is the most important thing to worry about at this point.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Tuesday was rest day but decided on a kettlebell class. It was good and I will likely return. Worked legs and abs last night. Abs are sore today. Yay for DOMS. today was supposed to be rest but got a good work out shoveling snow.

Jo, I hope you get things worked out.

Bennett, congrats on the RN program and the NSV.