Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    So I had this lovely message all written and ready to send and apparently I forgot to post it.

I did Phase 1 WO 2 yesterday morning - I really suck at single leg work. I hate it but I'm very glad it's included here. I want to be strong but I want to improve my balance etc since I see that as I am getting older, it's getting worse. Tomorrow, WO1. I didn't get in to do intervals this morning but I will on Thursday, then do WO2 on Friday. Friday morning, I'm headed to Charlotte, SC. I'm a member of Women In The Wind - an international women's only motorcycle riding club - it's our winter international conference. My goal for hte weekend is to eat sanely, get to the workout area on Saturday morning and do intervals, and have fun!

I love to see how you all are progressing! It's motivating!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Julie - Thumbs up there, adding reps is still adding something. People do PRs in reps as well as amount lifted.

Stephie - good to have you back. Sorry about the diagnosis but now you can go forward and work on things from there.

Beeps - nice work as always.

Sue - Good luck with that. I struggled with one leg things too but do see how it can be useful. Might need to do a couple in my accessories some day. Have fun with the conference.

Forgot my notebook again so need to work on that so I know what I'm supposed to lift. Right hand is acting up so can be pained not so much from holding the bar but just moving it a certain way. Went okay lifting at least though ached more when I was trying to sleep. On the plus side, no workie for 2 whole days. Woot! Anyways, starting the next chapter/week in the peak attempt.

Chapter 3: OHP

elliptical warm up for 10 minutes
    band pulls 3x10 yellow band

OHP 2x8 @ 45, 1x6 @ 55, 3x5 @ 70

pull up 3x1.5 and chin up 1x2
    tri push down 3x10 @ 70 - one time with bar and 2 sets with the rope

pendlay with straps 3x5 @ 115 - meh. Can tell I haven't done these in a while. Need to work on form and tried straps just cause hand is acting up right now.

pallof press 3x10 @ 35
    chair abs 3x9 BW

Not bad overall. Next up is lots of cleaning, some cooking and a little computer work. Maybe write later tonight.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,991 Member
    Options
    Nicely done, sue and Dawn. Regular as rain in here.....
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    :smiley:

Alright, lifted today and did a short run outside. Do think having squats on just energy drink/snack and nothing else. Will lift later in day after foods next week for squat day.

Chapter 3: Squats

elliptical for 10 minutes warm up
    band pulls for shoulders before warm up squat sets

Squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 4x4 @ 160 - okay but rather slow

Overload/Walkout 1x 15 count @ 230

Pause Squats 2x4 @ 110 for 8 count

good morning 3x10 @ 85

sumo deadlift 1x5 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 180

30+ minute jog outside at the park. Didn't quite do the full playlist, which was about 40 minutes. Some rain but at least not a downpour.

My right hand is bothering me but not so much during lifting but other points in my day. Even when sleeping. Might need to use one of my braces for a little bit and see if that helps. No diagnosis but it acts up like this on the rare occasion but shouldn't be a problem for too long.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Dawn-great job on the lifting. Sorry your hand is acting up :(. Try the brace and see if it helps. Enjoy your days off!
    Beep-hopefully your daughter will be excited to go with You! Good job on stage 3!!
    Stephie-wow! LC really agree with you! WTG! It worked great for me 11 year ago, and over the years more or less, but not as good now :(. I've kept off 120lbs lost on Atkins though, so it definitely works, and with pcos it's the perfect choice! Sweet about your daughter, those early years go so fast! :)
    Sue-enjoy your weekend! Good for you planning ahead!

I'm doing well. Just bought 2 new pairs of skinny jeans/pants and I love them! Size 8!! In skinnies! I alway have to size up in them, but am happy about these! So take that scale! :mrgreen: I feel good, making progress, added another 10 lbs to my WHTs (175!) and finally back up to the big girl plates for my DLs again! My back was a tad fussy about it afterwards, so I won't push it next week, but I'm happy I'm making progress. The disc will always be compressed, but I am hoping in time to build up the muscles around it so I will be able to live pain free.

All good over here. Planning our vacation and trying to stay at my deficit...baguettes, croissants, gelato, pizza...all coming my way in May! Now is the time to put in the work! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Great lifting, julie and dawn....love the skinny jean story, julie!

Today, I lift....then i have to survive my parents for four nights....they arrive tonight. My kids will have a blast while I try to not really listen to all their unsolicited advice.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Oooo skinny pants. Oh and I did ask about getting a pad for the barbell so can do WHTs again. He is going to get one and until then made a suggesting using one of the mats from the exercise room. Will try it Sunday, though I'm still on just 115. He made a joke about that being too much. pfft

Good luck Beeps!

This morning I tried out a basic Vinyasa yoga class (more challenging with going from pose to pose and I don't know them all yet) then at noon did a basic Hatha class. Then it was just work as usual.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Tried out lifting at the gym closer to home but late at night instead of during day. Went after work. It was okay but I wasn't interested in being there too long. I wasn't the only one there for a good part of it though, which was different.

Chapter 3: Bench

band pull warm ups 3x10

Bench 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x6 @ 85 and 4x4 @ 100 - went okay but tad slow at times. Maybe next weekend I will go before work and see if the staff person can do a hand off so I can practice that instead of getting the bar myself each set as the meet will involve that unless I request to not have anyone help.

pull ups 3x1 barely, struggled with them this time, and chin ups 1x2 both on the smith machine
    db bench press 3x6 @ 35

db fly 3x10 @ 25
    one db row 3x10 @ 40

face pull 3x10 @ 60
    pallof press 3x10 @ 35
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of denim leggings in size 6! Now, it's more like size 8, because I always have to size down in denim leggings (so stretchy), but I also bought a new pair of skinny jeans in size 8 so YAY!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hurrah for skinny jeans etc!! I bought some new pencil skirts at the weekend. Well, I figure that if you've got curves, you might as well make the most of them!!

It was mothers' day in the UK yesterday so I had my sister with us for the weekend and my mum over for dinner yesterday. I did manage to get my 2 mile runs done in the mornings, and had a fairly quick gym session on Saturday but nothing much more than that.

Off skiing at the weekend, so don't expect to get back into much of a gym routine for another couple of weeks.....but I will be back on the case like a woman possessed in April!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    So, Dawn, what did you think of your yoga experiences?

Nice pants-hunting kimi and pudding!!

Today, I lift! BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Yoga was interesting. Different and a challenge since I'm not very flexible. It's something I wouldn't mind doing but at the same time, not something I'd spend over 50 dollars a month on. The unlimited per month is like 79$ so it's a tad pricey. But I'll maybe try to catch a class there or another studio on occasion if I have spare money for such. I did like the activity but not to the point of it being something I must do.

Lifted weights last night after work. Went okay though getting tired from work. Cashier is sick so I ended up going in early and working 10 hours yesterday. Already got message today from coworker that we are cashiering until the closing cashier gets to work, so the first two hours of my shift will be up at the register instead of in my department. But my days off are tomorrow and Wednesday.

Chapter 3: Deadlift

low bar squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 115 and 3x5 @ 145 - feels heavy when doing low bar versus high bar

Deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 165, 4x4 @ 190

leg press 3x10 @ 225

cable kick back 3x10 @ 40
    hanging ab chair thing 2x10

Considering doing either rack pulls or trying something on smith machine but guy was there so I didn't bother. Plus, I was ready to go home. Spot on hip is better but decided to wait another week before doing WHT again. Looking forward to not having work tomorrow. Just need to get through today's shift. Also, glad pay day is this week. Need to order things asap for the meet since it's 6 weeks away.
  • LovelyRosie
    LovelyRosie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hola, I am new to the group and happy to be here! I'm beginning to strength train and wanted to know how long can I expect (how long did it take you?) before I start to see changes to my overall physic. I currently train roughly 3 days a week. Thanks in advance!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rosie! It took a few months before I could see any changes. But don't give up! The scale will probably go up, especially initially, don't let it frustrate you, hang in there with it., strong is awesome!!

Dawn-cook that you're ordering things..singlets? It's coming up! Kutgw!! You've got this!! Hope the bar pad comes in! It makes a huge difference for me!

Go beeps! Lift away! Hope you survived the visit ;).

Kim-hooray Mother's Day! Enjoy your ski weekend!

Pudding-love it! I bet you look great in your new jeans/pants!

I missed my fourth lift last week. Added extra cardio though and lifitng 3x/ weeks isn't too bad. I'm gonna be cutting cals a bit more as my trip is 9 weeks away so I'm going to focus on we it loss over adding strength for a few months. Gonna maintain my weights and hope for some good fat loss. I've been running a deficit, but probably not a big enough one to really get that scale moving. So we'll see .
  • LovelyRosie
    LovelyRosie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!!!!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Had a really frustrating visit to the gym last night - all the kit I wanted was in use, and so I ended up just doing a mishmash of things. I did enough to justify my time there, but then called it a day.

I had, before work, already done my 2 mile run for the 100 day challenge I am doing. It was snowing outside so I used the treadmill and was very pleased to say that I had conquered my treadmill demons and run quicker than before (I hate the thing with a passion - would much rather be running outside).

This morning I got up early and ran before sunrise - it was cold and icy outside, but I took it steady and very glad I did. I was still quicker than I was when I started the challenge 18 days ago, so I must be making some definite improvements to my general cardio fitness because I really felt that I was taking it careful today, yet the time it took me shows that I wasn't as slow as I thought. I'll take that!

No gym tonight - I shall be picking up my kettlebell later this evening at home instead.

Oh, and got on the scale yesterday - a small step in the right direction for both body weight and body fat %.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hi all, sorry not been chatty recently. Welcome Rosie.

Kimi - ugh, busy gym is the worst. Great job on the scale and the running though!

Dawn - my flexibility is shite too. However, I could get classes for free with my membership but I don't go :/

I have been lifting and adding in my cardio intervals (which SUCK). However, scale weight is down today. Hoping that's fat gone and not muscle!!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Well today I FINALLY went back to the gym - my last workout from my log was 12/2. SHOCKING.

Did strong, phase 1, stage 2, workout B. Quite frankly it was terrible, and I could barely walk after because my quads were jelly, but nevermind. I did it, and I'm back!

I am thinking of adding some yoga back into my routine. Only problem is I would do it at lunch in the gym and I'd feel like a bit of a *kitten* doing yoga on the stretching mats in front of others. But oh well, I need to do it, think I'm just going to suck it up and get it done.

Plan for tomorrow is to do cardio and yoga... Back to the weights on Thursday
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I lifted today...my hip is wonky. :(

I am pretty flexible....i work on it b/c i stretch after every workout (cardio or weights).

I have four lbs to lose to hit my springtime "goal". Doable! Yay!!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Julie - Thanks. Singlet shipped today so I'll have at least one before the meet since it should be here Friday. Less than 6 weeks so still time but anxiety is going to increase each week. Looking forward to it all.

Lovelyrosie - Welcome! Seeing the changes vary. I have a harder time seeing changes in myself and often have others commenting before I really see changes, even when the scale isn't moving. But there are other things along the way that help too, like how much you lift with good form and such. Have fun and good luck.

kimi - Bleh to the stuff being used up but you're doing great in getting those runs in. Well done there.

Jo - nice work.

Stephie - good work at getting in the gym and getting things done. I still need direction for doing yoga so it's class or maybe I'll try the video classes at my gym late at night cause no people there.

Beeps - yay for workout but bleh to wonky hip. My left one gets a little wonky sometimes and it's quite a nuisance. 4 lbs is totally doable.

Lifted weights today in the afternoon as didn't have work. Yay days off. Wasn't into running and it was rainy so didn't do long run but instead did a short one on the treadmill after lifting. Also, since it was early afternoon that meant other people at the gym, well a few. Did have a couple different ones talk to me briefly, which is different. Had a lady comment about pull-ups cause I was going my attempts where I still just get 1 and she thought that was neat cause she hasn't done any before. Talked a brief moment about some lifts I did as I don't really use the assisted machine, she asked about it. Then later had a guy comment on a thing, so we chatted brief on incline press and lifting. He mentioned deadlift but I corrected him a smidge as I was doing rows. Talked about competition and stuff too cause he's starting over a bit on the lifting but also has obstacle races he's going to do. Fun times.

Chapter 4: OHP

warm up was 10 minutes on elliptical and 3x10 band pull aparts

OHP 2x8 @ 45, 1x6 @ 60, 4x4 @ 75

pull ups 3x1 - still not yet at 2 reps at all, chin ups 1x3 - woot, one more rep!
    tricep push down 4x10 @ 70

bicep curl 3x10 @ 25ish - ez curl bar plus 10
    shoulder press 3x8 @ 50 - 25 per side, tried it just for fun

pendlay rows with straps 3x8 @ 95 - much better form this time with the lower weight though still a few eh reps.

30 minutes jog on treadmill