Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,954 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy a little "gym stuff" talk in the gym!

But, there are folks at my gym who talk sooooo much, it takes them hours and hours to get through their friggin' workouts, lol. Ummmmm, not for me!

In-and-out is my motis operandi, lol.

No lifting, today....daughter getting braces OFF!!! BOOM!

That is the last of 'em!! Three kids with perfect teeth and a horrid expense in the rear-view mirror!!! Yahooooo!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey, what happened to dna? Might be moving to her neck of the woods soon and went to message her and couldn't :/:(
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Jo - I dunno. That is a good question. Hope she's doing alright.

Beeps - yes, a little is nice but cut it off there. I got stuffs to lift so no need lots of talking. :wink:

Well, I forgot my notebook at home that has what I'm supposed to lift in it. Spent a few hours before lifting getting stuff done while at Starbucks just enjoying coffee and a small snack since I don't like doing squats day fasted. Got to gym and there discovered no notebook. I figured out the main squat number and set but was wrong on the overload and pause squats since their progression isn't the same as the main lift. So, I did less weight than supposed to on both but oh well. Important part was hitting those squats, which were super slow for that weight but definitely hitting depth and tried to imagine the squat cues being given since don't have anyone there to yell at me to squat, lol.

Chapter 4: Squats

warm up on elliptical for 10 minuts

Squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 155 1x5
    working sets = 170 4x3

overload 230 for 15 count (was supposed to do 240)

pause squats 1x4 @ 110 and 1x4 @ 115 for 8 count each rep (was supposed to do 120 2x3)

good morning 3x10 @ 95

sumo deadlift 1x6 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 185

Decent though had the minor oops on the wrong weights but oh well. Also had a guy comment on how hard I was hitting the squats since that's pretty much all he saw me do during the time there (he left before I did the other things). Yep, it was squat day so that's how it goes.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies. Frustratingly, I'm not making time to lift. Note that I don't say I don't HAVE time, but I am not MAKING time for it. This is not the plan!

I am tired, it is my busiest time of my year at work (end of the UK tax year) and my head is so full my sleep is interrupted with thoughts of what I still need to do. I've gotten behind on all things "housework" related, but that will have to just get done as and when. We're off on holiday on Saturday to see my daughter for a week, so part of me says just let things go until I get home and then get through til 5th April (end of tax year) and then take a deep breath and get back to it. Gah, I'm making excuses and I don't like it!

I AM still running - doing my 2 miles first thing in the morning before work. It was a beautiful morning today, and I run towards the sunrise which was lovely, but my legs had no oomph to them. Still, its a good headclearer to start the day off, and at least it is *some* form of exercise.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Dawn - you didn't do badly on the weights considering you forgot your notebook! Definitely hitting those squats hard!

Kimi - I hear you on not making time to lift, that was the habit I had gotten into. Luckily I seem to have snapped out of it.

Did cardio yesterday, dull, I hate it, nothing to report.

I was also pretty much unable to walk yesterday and this morning, every single muscle in my thighs had decide to be very very sore.

Went back to the gym today to lift and that seems to have helped though.

Workout was:

Reverse lunge 3x10 each leg, 20kg barbell
    Inverted row 3x10 # 11 on the smith
    Romanian DL 3x10, 45kg
    Push up 3x10, #7 on the smith

Was supposed to do core, but my core hurts, so i stretched for ~20 minutes afterwards, which was very worthwhile!

Will probably try to lift tomorrow too, hopefully I won't be sore from this one!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Jo - when was dnamouse's last post here????? Sheesh....another "regular" bites the dust!!

I lifted today. Not a great workout. My hip is still bothering me.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yes, I miss dna too!!
    Great lifting ladies! I'm down to 3x/week right now, but liking it that way. I'm on a decent deficit and down 2 lbs finally!!!!

In my phone so ill bbl . Take care all!!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I took a quick look back and saw her last post as being in early January. I certainly hope she is okay.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    That's a long time ago for such a regular to this thread - also hoping all is ok!

I lifted today post night shift. It was crappy but it got done.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I agree, jo. Good lifting, too!

I did cardio, today.....haven't done that for three weeks! It showed. I sucked. :(

Back to lifting on monday.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Cardio for me this morning too - combat. Was so freakin' hard - body hated every second. Blaming night shift. Maybe because I've dropped a couple of kgs too - will have to watch it's not coming off too fast. Workouts are certainly harder with a deficit, even a small one!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What's everyone favourite stretch for the side of the hips? Not sure of the proper name for this area but mine are sore.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Good news. Singlet came in on Friday, as expected, and does fit. Then on Saturday, pretty much less than 2 days after ordering, the lifting belt came in. They be quick over at the liftinglarge web site. It's a little bigger than I expected but is still within the requirements of the competition as the belt can't be bigger than 4 inches. Forgot how big 4 inches was, lol. Glad I got the large though instead of medium since measurement wise I'm at the top end of the medium listing. Now I have some time to learn how to use it and see if I want to use the belt at the meet or not. It is very pink and will be one of the few things I ever own that is pink. Lifted last night with bench and tonight is deadlifts after work.

Chapter 5: Bench

Bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70, 1x6 @ 95 (heavy)
    working sets - 4x3 @ 105

pull up attempts 3x1 almost at 2, chin ups 1x3
    db bench press 4x5 @ 40

db fly 3x8 @ 25
    one db row 3x8 @ 45

face pull 3x10 @ 60
    pallof press 3x10 @ 35

• Beeps2011
    Options
    105 bench?!? Omg! That is awesome!!

I will lift, tomorrow. The time change has me super-tired.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Beeps - Thanks. I'm hoping to get 125 at the meet. I've done 1 rep at that weight barely for a bodybuilding.com thing but it barely qualified. Hoping this peak cycle helps get a good rep at the meet for that.

Today I did lifting after work and tried out the lifting belt for the first time. It's a bit bulky as 4 inches is quite large when you don't have a long torso. Need to figure out where to place it for each lift, since going to try it out for both squats and deadlifts, though I did do one working set without first. Went okay though by the time I tried rack pulls my calluses got achy.

Oh, and yesterday was Chapter 4: bench and not 5 yet.

Chapter 4: Deadlift

band pulls 3x10
    low bar squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 115, 1x5 @ 150 and 2x5 @ 150 with belt

Deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, 1x3 @ 200 and 3x3 @ 200 with belt

hip thrust 3x10 @ 115 using mat as padding, awkward but might increase next time

rack pulls 2x5 @ 205 - eh, hands ached
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Dawn-yay! Glad everything came in! A pink belt? Cute! 4" is a lot on your tiny frame. Hope it becomes more comfortable and gives you added support on those heavy lifts! You're one strong and committed chick! Go girl!

Jo-you're making me miss combat! Don't over do it in that deficit...I'm finding similar challenges and adjusting a bit now too.

Beeps-I've been trying to up my cardio too. I just don't enjoy it :(. Walking is my favorite though, and with a 2-week trip to Europe in 2 months I'm trying to log a lot of miles so I'll be up for the trek over there.

Pudding-what's the side of the hips? Like outside your hips? Or IT band? I foam roll IT band, and do hip flexor stretch (one knee on the ground, other leg bent). Not sure if that's what you're talking about?

I'm leaning toward going down to 3 lifting sessions a week again. If I can fit 4, good, if not, I'm not gonna kill myslef to squeeze it in. I'll keep to my routine and add weight/reps still, but I'm in a decent deficit and the scale is finally cooperating! So, I find myself a bit less zealous under the bar, and with a bit less oomph at the gym. Doing fine, added some weight to my bench last week (finally! Up to 75, kind of pathetic I know, but for met what's a big accomplishment). I'm gonna make more effort to include more cardio and maybe a yoga class. I'm not well balanced and realize if I'm serious about health and fitness I need more than just lifting. Gasp. It's my fave, but I'll add walking 3x/ week and take it from there.

Hope you're all doing well :).
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Great lifting, julie!!! And GREAT lifting, Dawn!!

I did lift, today...but boy my *kitten* just DRAGGED. This time change just sucks, sucks, sucks.

It always takes me A LONG time to adjust...and my daughter was up crying last night because she could not sleep. :( Poor baby!!

Anyway, I will make sure to do cardio 1 x per week....as the days get longer, that gets easier to do. At least that is what I tell myself!

Lifting is going to stay at 3 times per week....I hope to be working again, in the next couple weeks, so back to trying to "fit it all in" and I do not want to be "aggressive" about that. In my mind, if I find work, and have to drop back to 2 times per week, I will be grateful. Grateful, grateful, grateful.

My bank account is hungrier for money more than I am hungry for muscle.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Dawn - I saw your pink belt on IG, it's so cute :)

I have pink straps and fully intend to get a pink belt when I need one (do you ever "need" one?)

Seems like everyone bar Dawn is struggling with cardio - I actually did some today (farmers carries) after weights and I can barely type due to forearm fatigue, so clearly I need to do those more often!

Strong, Phase 1, Stage 2, B

Rear foor elevated split squat 3x10 @ 15kg barbell - I dunno what has happened to my form on these, it's all messed up, my hips aren't level and I have to be on the ball of my foot on the bench behind me otherwise I fall over :( Need to sort that out

DB bench press 3 x10 @ 12kg dumbell each hand - feeling better, still tough, might see if I can do some at 13 (if that exists!!) next time

Front squat 3 x 10 @ 25kg with straps - feeling better, getting verrrrry low now, back to lifting in my converse and it's definitely helped.

Back squat 1x10 @ 40kg just because

Standing single arm cable pull 3 x 10 each arm @ 40.8kg - I do not understand why the machines have such random weights, but nevermind. These felt pretty good. Really focused on keeping everthing in line and pulling with my back

Farmers carries - 8 rounds with 12kg kettlebell in each hand, carried them 4 x length of gym and then rested for an undetermined length of time. Haha. probably should have been more scientific about that one

Hope everyone's lifting goes well today/tomorrow!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks. :smile:

I'm actually not a fan of pink for the most part. Purple would have been better but this was the best option at the time and it sure shipped quick. This pink is manageable but probably won't be adding any more pink items to the mix. :wink:

As for the cardio - my struggle is getting my long run in outside. It has been so rainy lately and with work, I just haven't done it. Need to get increasing my long runs in the near future. Hopefully the weather will be a little better in April. Still haven't picked a half-marathon to train for over summer, so we'll wait and see what time frame I pick.

Had a hard time sleeping lately. Last night didn't really sleep until after 4 am so it's good I didn't have work as I stayed in bed past noon. I also ate slightly expired candy at 2 am so went over my calories but oh well. Hope tonight is better. Tomorrow I meet with the boy cashiers from work (have 2 males that aren't managers, most of the people at work are female except top boss and one pharmacist aside from them) to get sushi before going to do squats.

Chapter 5: OHP

Now we're on chapter 5. Did a light warm up on the elliptical since I don't work today. Followed by band pulls between warm up sets of OHP using my yellow resistance band.

OHP 2x10 @ 45, 1x6 @ 65 and 4x3 @ 80

pull ups 3x2ish, almost two per set. I can see above the bar but not get my chin there
    chin ups 1x3, getting closer to 4
    tricep pushdown 4x8 @ 80

incline bench on smith machine 3x5 @ 50 - just the weights counted and tried it out for fun
    pendlay rows with straps 3x5 @ 100 - doing okay, think I like using the straps on this. Form is better for now.

Jogged 30 minutes on treadmill while watching Food Network.

• jo_marnes
    Options
    haha Dawn, I HATE pink. In fact, I hate pink and purple - will never buy anything those colours. Infuriates me - why do brands assume that women want pink? Especially trainers!

Anyway, rant over. Combat today and a walk with the dog. Combat was good - helped me de-stress. Have a new job but now have to move interstate in 5 weeks. Holy *kitten* crap. Wine..... more wine.............