Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Jo – Is combat like kickboxing? Sounds like a heck of a workout either way!

Kimi – Thanks for that website, I’m going to check it out tonight! And awesome deal on the new jeans!! Nothing better than finding a new size on a sale rack!

Samntha – Talk about having connections, lol! It’s likely I’ll take you up on that offer at some point :) I found a jersey on my trip that fits pretty comfortably, but it’s still tighter than I’m comfortable with. It’s an XL and it’s HILARIOUS! I’ll see if I can post a pic. I think my biggest discomfort comes from my baby belly. It poofs out about midway and seems to be made of extra skin and fat that doesn’t seem to go anywhere. My hips are 40.5 right now and large seems to be a pretty good fit for shorts. I could probably get away with an XL, but I’m okay with a L. Nice work on finishing stage 1 – looks like a strong finish! Also, I’m impressed with 1) your ability to do 15 pushups in a row and 2) your ability to dedicate yourself to the cause and 3) to teach others. I can’t seem to get past 10 in a row on a good day. Good doing good!

Dawn – It’ll get better and things will settle.
    Some good PRs goin’ on in here! Nice work. Pudding that’s awesome! I can’t even imagine being able to lift my body weight yet! I bet you have some guns!

Stephie – Those lifts are INSANE!

Aigre – That’s awesome about your brother - fingers crossed that his offer gets accepted! You’re gonna kill stage 8!

Julie – do you work out when TOM visits? I feel super uncomfortable when I do, so I just walk or elliptical. I’m usually really tired and weak feeling.

The ride on Sunday was pretty stinking great! There were three people on my team and I’m the only one who finished. One couldn’t make it past the second hill, and the other dropped out halfway through to let the first one into the house we were staying at. Had some of the best Chinese food I’ve ever had and had a beer with an old boyfriend I happened to run into! Crazy! Planned my next two adventures already: this weekend I’ll do a 40 mile ride (20 each way) to a nearby town and back and then in October – for my birthday – I’m planning on doing a 55-mile gravel race called Heck of the North! I’m super pumped!

No workout today since I just realized I forgot my PANTS! HAHAHAHA! Good thing I’m eating light today since I ate like crazy all weekend. ;)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Did combat this morning, then hubby was working out at the gym this evening so I met him there and did some lifting. Had nothing to give for squats but did 5x5 bench at 42.5kgs and 5x5 rows at 47.5 kgs.

Then did some kettlebell swings and push presses and some assisted pull ups. Then finally called it a day! I'd better sleep well tonight!!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I can't with the kgs ladies. This Canadian knows nothing but lbs. Do I double the kgs to get the amount in pounds? Too tired to look this up now. I was with my 5 and 7.5 year old all day, bowling and picnicing and playing at the park, and I am ready for some tv and wine!

Also, SuperMelinator, who needs pants? I mean, really now :wink:
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    ooo did someone say brownies?!

On way back to LA. We packed up truck and car this morning with the last bit then drove. Stopping for the night, which is good cause I'm so tired of driving. Too many really long car trips in one month.

I did lift yesterday. I did the adult thing, and got my car serviced since it was due for oil change and such. The dealership was even able to fix my front license plate so that it's flat again, no extra charge. And since I have around 30 minutes and it was near the gym that used to be closest to the apartment I was living in, went to the gym. It was a very quick bench session but I haven't done bench much as don't like the setup at new gym. Shoulders are a bit sore, plus the awkward long car rides not helping. Didn't get the reps needed but I'm a little out of practice with bench. Need to work on it and get going with this peak cycle.

Bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70, 1x6 @ 80, 1x3, 2x4, 1x3 @ 90 (instead of 4x6)
    face pull - 3x10 @ 45
    cable bicep curl - 3x10 @ 45
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Oh, and I also went for a short jog this morning before we did the last of the packing and started driving. Even after staying out late last night to get coffee with one of my coworkers from the Oregon store, I got up at 6:45 so could go jog at the park. Probably only did about 20 minutes but it was nice to do before having to spend so much time in the car.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    I can't with the kgs ladies. This Canadian knows nothing but lbs. Do I double the kgs to get the amount in pounds? Too tired to look this up now. I was with my 5 and 7.5 year old all day, bowling and picnicing and playing at the park, and I am ready for some tv and wine!

Also, SuperMelinator, who needs pants? I mean, really now :wink:

1 kg is 2.2 lbs so double it and add a bit more!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Haha, yeah I usually double the kgs, add a little more, then hang my head in shame ;-)

Samntha - my kids love those power cakes! Neither is a big meat eater, so I figure they need extra protein anyway.

Julie - stupid hormones! That can really throw stuff off, can't it?

Supermel - I agree, pants should be optional!

Dawn - Hope your drive is going well!

3.2 miles run this morning. Fast-ish (for me), about 10:30/mile, as I was mad mad mad about getting 30 complaining emails overnight.

And my brother didn't get the house :(
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    New deadlift max - 107.5kg (237lbs). Beat my last PR by 5kg, looked and felt better. Awesomeness!!!!!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Amazing Jo!!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - wow, you are super strong!!

I did the first workout of Stage 8 today
    Workout A, Combo 1
    Suspended jackknife 2x8 (supposed to be ab wheel but I haven't got one)
    Squats - 1x5@60 (warm up), 1x5@71, 1x4@71, 1x3@71
    TRX Inverted row 2x8
    Reverse lunges - 2x8@60
    Pushups 2x8 off 18" bench
    Called for Single leg hip thrust which I couldn't get the hang of. So did both legs for double reps 2x20.

I have been starting on the search of what comes next. Bought Strong Curves and have been looking through it. More of an aesthetic influence than some other programs. I don't think I'm ready for an intermediate program yet. I'm impressed with the progress that Stephie and Kimi have made on Stronglifts, though, so that's the other option.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Dang Jo! My back is sore just reading that! Ha! Great job little lady!!
    Aigre-sorry for your brother :(
    Dawn-safe travels!
    Kim-jealous of your bench...I'm stuck st 70lbs.
    Pudding-lol! Kgs are rough for me too!

I'm lazy bones today, need to lift but procrastinating. Lifted Sunday and Monday and want to go today...but it's 109 already! Hate summer! I'll get there, need to squat and wht today :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    So my average weight for the month is officially down one pound and I lost an inch of my belly. One could that what I"m doing is working. Workouts are powerful as well and I didn't spend my period in a complete coma (tired yes, sleeping all day, no)

Got back in the gym today after five days off and started stage 2
    S2 WO A1
    Plank pull down 2x17.5
    Reverse lunges 3x12@20dbs
    Inverted rows (chest height) 3x12
    RDL 3x70lbs
    Pushups 2x12, 1x22 floor, 1x22 incline on bench. my arms are shot!!

My post workout included my costco protein shake (love them) and my protein bar with a tbs of biscoff spread on it. So decadent!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Jo - holy *kitten* you're my new hero, well you and "nerdfitness" staci who I just saw on Instagram OHPing 43kg. 43kg. What the absolute hell.

Aigre - I looked at strong curves too, but meh, it didn't take my fancy.

I like stronglifts because it's simple and I was really ready to see how strong I was. I'm going to run this for another 8 weeks (until my retake exam) because I can only commit to 2-3 gym days. After that I'm going to move on to Wendler 5/3/1 which is a 4 day intermediate program (most likely plan anyways). I'm ready to not squat heavy 3 times a week!

Depends what you're interested in really? Squatting 3 times a week has made my squat much better, but that could probably be achieved in other programs too. You always have the new rules series - the later ones run a lot like strong but with more customisable workouts so you can choose your training
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    43kg Ohp?! One day.....!!!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Jo, way to go you! I only dare to dream!

Aigre, I start Stage 8 on Sunday and hadn't looked ahead at it yet, but now I'm scared. TRX inverted row?!?!

After Strong I may do Strong Curves as well. I was given the book for my birthday last year but then Strong came out and moved to top priority. I've already done For Women, Abs, and Supercharged. I was thinking of Stronglifts also, though. Is that a full body, three times a week thing? Wendler interests me but I'm not sure I want to do four lifts a week when the weather is getting cooler (I should be done Strong at the start of October) and I still want to get outside to run a couple of times a week. Decisions, decisions.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Awesome Jo!

Stephie - sounds like a good plan. I like 4 day a week programs but not always plausible. 3 is sufficient too, but works better with more full body types.

Pudding - It's tough to decide. I now live in a place where running outside can be all year long, though tis a little too hot right now unless get up super early (and find a safe place to run).

Samntha - Nice work. Sounds like great progress.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I have my stuff moved into the apartment including my little bed. We have a couch ordered. Now just need to find room for all of the stuffs and someday find a desk I can afford. My weight is a little all over the place now but after a little while, should get a better, more accurate reading. Have my own scale finally, so can keep track in August and work on my pre-bulk goal. Have one more day off then working 5 days with 2 evenings, a morning then another 2 evening shifts. Good to get full days though as last couple of weeks have been dicey on income due to hours. Things should get better from here. July is almost done.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Went to the gym before work fancying a spin class (yes, I know, I know!) and saw that the squat rack was free. Not being able to pass up an opportunity and being early for spin, I reserved my bike and dashed over to the rack....only to see that THE GYM HAVE INSTALLED A SECOND SQUAT RACK!!! It was like Christmas to me haha!!! Two lovely racks with lovely weights side by side. I was able to squat, and someone else was able to squat too. Simple things make me so happy!

Anyway, didn't have overly long so just did 5/5/5/5/4 @ 72.5kgs. I think I was too excited at the second squat rack to squeeze out that last rep! Then I left the beauty behind, and went off to spin.

Happy Friday everyone!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Kimi - I love your joy at 2 racks :)
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Julie - 109 geez! I think I would die. We've had a week of 90s and everyone is ready to wilt.

Samtha - OMG biscoff spread is the devil! No way I could eat just a tablespoon. More like a cup. After my daughter was born I would wake up with her in the night, feed her, and then have a toast with biscoff spread as a midnight snack. No wonder I didn't lose the pregnancy weight :o

Stephie - I sort of dislike the marketing of Strong Curves. It's embarrassing to leave it out on the coffee table. I hate the names of the programs. "Bootyful" makes me want to hurl. I don't like the tone of the book that all that matters is aesthetics. There's even a chapter that goes into the fact that women's upper bodies look just fine without muscle if they are lean enough, so you really only need to work legs. I think that's a little silly.

That said, I don't like really the attitude of the Stronglifts guy either. And I have noticed that I do have difficulty engaging my glutes in the big lower body lifts. And they are virtually never sore unless I do heavy RDLs or lunges. And honestly, the aesthetic stuff does matter to me somewhat. So I am hoping a cycle of Strong Curves may help me activate my glutes and set me up better for either Stronglifts or an intermediate program in January. I think changing things up to more hypertrophy work may be good for me as well.

I've read through the Wendler article (not the book though) and it strikes me as sort of similar to the last phase of Strong. One main lift in each workout, performed at increasing intensity over the course of 3 weeks followed by a deload, and some accessory lifts in each workout. The reps and %1rm are different. But since I wouldn't even have any clue how to calculate or test a 1RM at this point, I think it's above my level. But I do like the general format of it.

Pudding - Eh, it's just a regular horizontal pull, I just decided to do inverted rows on the TRX cause I was too lazy to adjust the bar. Actually the first workout of Stage 8 wasn't bad at all, I thought. I like running outside too, but usually go around 5 am. I'll finish with Strong end of September probably, then maybe I'll run 12 weeks of Strong Curves til Christmas. Then figure out what to do in the new year. It will be dark and cold in the mornings so I'll have to evaluate how much I want to be running outside vs. inside lifting. Right now I do 3 days of each.

Dawn - glad you got moved in and the trip went ok!

Kimi - haha on the 2 racks! Your legs must be crazy strong to do all those squats plus a spin class!

Anyway, sorry for the book today! Actual workout was 2.4 miles outside with light rain but high temp (78 degrees at 5 am while still dark, WTH!). Tonight we start vacation, so I may not be around as much next week, but will try to check in when I can!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - Yeah I agree. The marketing of strong curves is essentially what I hate about programming for women, Strong is appropriate marketing. Medhi from Stronglifts is a bit of a *kitten*, but the actual program is good.

I didn't feel my glutes for A LONG time while squatting etc, but I don't know if I needed to just get heavier (because I feel them now!) or I had to sort out engaging them (which I now do at the start and then try to maintain to keep my knees out).

I think your plan sounds good. I would say that stronglifts/ another linear program would be good for you at some point before going for an intermediate program, simply because it really pushes where you think your 1RM is.

You're description of Strong definitely seems like Wendler 5/3/1 - squats/bench/deadlifts/OHP on separate days with the increasing load followed by deload. I think it's probably a little too "intermediate" for me, as I could still make progress on a linear program, but mentally it's tough and I would like to have varying reps to make things sometimes not as hard!

Today was a *kitten* day at the gym. I guess it's just the wrong time of the month for me because I was so so weak :(

Squats: 5 @ 72.5kg, racked and took a load of weight off 4x5 @ 60kg
    OHP: 5,3,2,5,5 @ 30kg - used a new grip today, so that I'm not gripping the bar straight across my palm (which is apparently bad) and it did feel better. Still much to work on.

TMI: Skipped deadlifts as I nearly pee'd myself squatting and didn't want to risk deadlifts!!!!!