Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    No training for me until Wednesday as I am studying with a colleague at lunchtimes today/tomorrow and Friday this week.

Kimi I am not enjoying the heat! My house is SOOOOO HOT, it's horrible :( I want to get AC!!

I am not built for heat :)

GREAT work on the traning though, that's awesome dedication. I still can't do a full pushup (although i am getting awfully close). One of these days I'll get there!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Great lifting! Great calorie control! Wb Julie, hi all!

Lifting today. And keeping calories < 1,500....today I start logging my calories to be sure I am counting them all. Sad, but necessary. BOOM!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Happy Monday!

I had a great weekend with a lot of eating. Sushi on Friday, pizza on Saturday, and yesterday we celebrated my birthday with fried clams, onion rings, and ice cream cake. Scale is up 4 lbs this morning but hopeful that will go away soon. Back on track to try to crack into the 130s.

Saturday I did Strong, Stage 7, Workout B, #3
    Suspended pike - 2x8
    OHP - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@35.5 lbs, 1x5@38 lbs, 1x5@40.5 lbs, 1x5@42 lbs. Heading towards Olympic bar weight.
    Lunges - 2x10@66 lbs
    Chin ups - able to do a few with my smaller band, rest of the sets with the thicker one 2x8
    Squats - 2x10@66 lbs. Tried pulling down on the bar while I come up and that seems to help me involve my core/back more. Hope this helps. Will have to try another video in a few.
    DB row - 2x10@30 lbs

Yesterday ran 5 miles in the AM, went for a long walk at the zoo carrying the kiddies.

Kimi - Great workouts! I admire your ability to plan on the fly!

Welcome back, Julie! Hope you check back soon! Doesn't matter if you are making progress or not. Goodness knows my progress is ridiculously slow!

Jo - 2 min plank is strong work!

Samntha - Great job on Stage 1, and awesome job following the eating plans!

Rest day for me today, will walk for a bit between meetings, but it is so hot out lately. I can feel my glutes a bit from Saturday's workout, so something between the lunges and squats is hitting where it needs to hit :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Way to get things done Kimi.
    @StephieWillcox May I suggest a small window unit even just for the living room. You and the little one should be comfortable. Back in the day at my mom's house we had just the one unit. Every night ended being a slumber party in the living room. Miserable but fun at the same time. We'd hang a sheet over the doorways to keep the air in that one room.

#will finish post later.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Had dinner with my husband's family last night. As we left he says, "Those people are crazy." That should say something. We actually had a pleasant evening. We are both non-confrontational, so it probably involved a bit of tongue-biting. We tend to stand on not only the opposite political spectrum but philosophically as well. Sadly, I could see my father-in-law was upset about missing seeing my boys grow up (they live out of state). My question is, what do you intend to do about it? Regardless, I ate like crap last night. They invited a vegetarian to dinner, made spaghetti, which they knew he could eat, then added meat to the sauce. UGH The man who eats 4k cals a day had salad for dinner and a big slice of carrot cake.

Therefore, having eaten badly yesterday, my workout was *kitten* this morning.
    Strong S1 WO B2
    Side plank 2/30
    Half-kneel Cable Row 2/10@21.5 (inc)
    SL_RDL 3x12@25 dbs (inc)
    Military push ups 3x12 (good form)
    Split squat 2x12@20
    Inverted row 2x12 (Lower)
    Some weight increases but I lost it on the last set of split squats and called no joy. My asthma beat my butt.
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We installed AC a couple of years ago. It makes me appreciate any heat we get that much more when I can take refuge in the cool dry house.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I agree, we grew up with window a/cs that saved the day! Humidity is awful!!

Thanks for welcoming me back. I appreciate it :)

Sam-funny about Dh and dinner. Good workout!!

Agre-great job! And love the running too! Impressive!

Kimi-so happy the scale is back down again! You're doing great! Lifestyle and overall health changes wonderful!!

I lifted today!! Squats, bent over rows and some leg work. Crowded at lunch, surprisingly. I tweaked my back last week, same spot as always, so im done with deadlifts :(. I've tried all varieties, dumbbell straight leg, traditional deals, Romanian, rack pull ...as soon as I up my weigh above 100lbs or so I end up injured. I'm super careful of my form so it's not that, it's my disc. Dang flab it! I had hoped to strengthen it up and eventually be able to just keep going but this is my 6th time with the same result. I guess I'm slow to catch on! Ha! Sigh,

So, I'm now just kind of doing a variation of strong lifts and will sub weighted hip thrusts for deads for a while. Not uber motivated yet, but hope to get back in the swing of things and then refind more motivation :).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Upper body day! Did OHP and a few other things at the gym, then 20 minutes jogging. Peak cycle will start probably next week. Don't have a scale to check my weight atm but should after the end of the month as going to Oregon for my stuff on the 24th. Not getting the highest calories with being broke and unfortunately, lower on protein than is ideal but going to keep working on it.

OHP - 2x8 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 70 and 3x3 @ 70
    chinup 2x3 and 1x2 @ bw
    cable bicep curl 3x10 @ 25
    overhead tricep ext 3x10 @ 20

20 minute jog on treadmill with 5 minute warm up and cool down walks.

Next day is squats. Fun times ahead. Also trying to think of a name for my peak cycle as I want to video tape it the best I can for my fledgling youtube channel. Doing a writing Q&A video soon too for it but need more content so maybe can get more than 2 followers some day.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I tweaked my back last week, same spot as always, so im done with deadlifts :(. I've tried all varieties, dumbbell straight leg, traditional deals, Romanian, rack pull ...as soon as I up my weigh above 100lbs or so I end up injured. I'm super careful of my form so it's not that, it's my disc. Dang flab it! I had hoped to strengthen it up and eventually be able to just keep going but this is my 6th time with the same result. I guess I'm slow to catch on! Ha! Sigh,

Noooooooo! This makes me sad. The deadlift is the most freaking AWESOME lift there is (imo anyway :D ) Have you had a trainer help you? Sometimes it is just about being low with the weight. I have dropped my DL back below what I started with (!!!!!!!) so many times I've lost count. It can be disheartening but I am finding new ground with sumo deadlifts. Felt weird to start with but I have quickly built up to bigger lifts without issue. Come back to it after a break - you may feel enthused again
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Julie and Jo - sort of glad not to be the only one to struggle with deadlifts. I tweaked my back a few weeks ago, so I am a little scared of them so have been going very low on weights. Stephie makes them look so easy. Surely they are not!

Stephie - yes window AC saved my life before we moved and got central AC!

Dawn - glad to hear you are settling in and excited to hear about your peak cycle!

Samntha - my husband's family is crazy too. And they have all sorts of weird restrictive eating issues. But also a rather casual attitude towards food safety. One time they bought Chinese food in their city, drove 7 hours to my city with the food unrefrigerated in the back of their car, then tried to serve it to my 2 year old. Ick.

Anyway, today was deadlift day again. Still taking it easy trying to nail the form.
    I skipped the ab exercise for some reason. I don't like it and I don't know, blah. That was lazy of me.
    Deadlifts - 1x5@83, 1x5@88, 1x5@94, 1x5@99, 1x5@105 Took a video of my last set. Will post on Eat, Train, Progress and see if I did any better.
    Reverse Lunges - 2x10@66 lbs
    DB bench press - 2x10@25 lbs
    Lat pulldown - 2x10@60 lbs
    Step ups - 2x10@15 lbs

Have a good day everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Julie, no shame in doing 95lb DL! Keep doing what you can! I have never DL above 115 lbs for same reason....I still DL, though. I have degeneration at L5-S1, so back care is important. I stretch tons. And I won't push stuff, anymore.

Even squatting, I think I am done with back squats! My tall, short-body-long leg just means bad-awkward form....so, goblet squats work, so do bowler squats. And one legged stuff. But I think I may choose leg press, or some other "machine" for legs. Doing free weights on everything, with machines on one body part, is not going to relegate me to non-lifting status!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Nice chin-ups, .dawn!! I saw them in your repertoire! Nicely done!
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jo - maybe take a break until your back feels better and come at it again with a trainer and just the bar. Just until you can make sure you have the form down. 95 lb DL isn't small potatoes...I mean, sure it is compared to some people, but this isn't a boat show.

Dawn - Ah to be able to do a pullup or chinup....nice work! Keep pushing through your roadblocks...we do the best we can with what we have!

Beeps - IMO, any squat is better than no squat. And using the leg press machine can take so much pressure off your back, so nothing wrong with that. :)

This week is going to be a light week. Focusing on cardio and endurance because .... RAGBRAI starts Sunday! RAGBRAI is a week-long bike ride across Iowa. I'm only doing the first day because I don't have enough PTO. Sunday is only a 50 mile day, but we'll be starting from a friend's house 10 miles into the route, so it's really only a 40 mile day. Totally doable. SO EXCITED!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to say what we *have* to do. Do what is right for each of you....we all rock, whatever the programme!!

I did bodycombat before work. It was H.O.T!!! We're not used to the heat in the UK, and the Aircon is in the throes of being changed. The weights room is done and nicely cooling. The studio on the other hand.......due next week. When summer will probably be over!!!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Laughing at all the heat related stuff. Here in Australia AC is a must in most locations. Funny to see all my UK FB friends going crazy in the heat - we had the same temps here in QLD and it is winter :D

Kimi - combat without AC is tough - but I have to say I'm a fan of the sweat lol. Much preferred to the trying to warm up and feeling all stiff due to the cold. I really noticed how sore I felt when I was visiting.

Combat for me too today - under a fan ;)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Aircon is still a rarity here. Usually we're battling against putting the heating back on!! We're never happy!! (loving summer really, honest!!)

Hoping to lift tomorrow before work....if not, due to someone beating me to the squat rack , a Kettlebell HIIT session or spin. Choices, choices!!

• samntha14
    Options
    I've tried all varieties, dumbbell straight leg, traditional deals, Romanian, rack pull ...as soon as I up my weight above 100lbs or so I end up injured. I'm super careful of my form so it's not that, it's my disc. Dang flab it!
    @Julieboolieaz Ouch, please be very careful. Have considered using a belt? And what has a doctor said about it?
    @Beeps, you have the right idea of just doing an alternative exercise. Do you boo, you have to protect your body.
    @SuperMelinator that bike ride sounds great. It's nice that they break it up. Mu hubby does "Longest Day" here in NJ. It's 250 miles in one day. He did it in 13 hours, but the average person takes 19. IT's actually a beautiful ride and a wonderful way to see the state. I hope you enjoy it.
    @jo_marnes We are opposites. I hate Sweat, mostly because I do so much of it. Yesterday was one of those days where after my shower standing naked in front of the AC didn't keep me from dripping. YUCK!

We had a great day today! We went to the beach today (first time this summer, crazy I know). The air was the perfect temp, the tide was out and the waves were calm. We even got to see stingrays in the shallows. Great recovery exercise swimming in the ocean after a hard day in the gym yesterday. Also, I totally hit my cals and macros today, to my coaches' cheering delight. Woo Hoo! Tomorrow I'm taking a kick-boxing class with a friend. The type of class where we actually pummel the crap out bags. I'll let you know how it goes, lol.

Oh, quick question: Lunges have become my kryptonite. They kill my workout, especially at the end. Can't seem to finish the last set. What do you all think of me moving them from my last rotation to the first?
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    samntha14 wrote: »
    Oh, quick question: Lunges have become my kryptonite. They kill my workout, especially at the end. Can't seem to finish the last set. What do you all think of me moving them from my last rotation to the first?

What does the rest of your workout look like? And what are your goals? It's fine to swap it about a bit but it's important to stay focused on the original goal. Normal to have to tweak things.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Samntha - Oh yes, a soak in the ocean can be so helpful to recovery, both physically and mentally! I love the beach. What problem are you having with lunges? I would drop weight before I switched things around too much, but I am a little rigid in my adherence to programs sometimes.

Kimi - hope you got your rack!

Supermel - the bike ride sounds fun! I keep thinking about getting back into bike riding when my kids get a little older.

Beeps - I have read long legs can be an issue in squats. I am "fortunate" to not have that problem! No reason to do something if it's not working though.

Had a nice run this morning, 3.2 miles, the weather took a turn for the cooler and less humid so it was only about 55 degrees. Felt really good. Weight it now back to baseline after going a little overboard on my diet break over the weekend.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »

Beeps - I have read long legs can be an issue in squats. I am "fortunate" to not have that problem! No reason to do something if it's not working though.

Right now, post-surgery, even bodyweight squats are very taxing. Once I have those back under control, I will move onto bowler squats and goblet squats. I kind of don't think I will go back to back-squats, frankly. I might, in a few months, try to add back in front-squats, if my body feels up to it.

I have PLENTY o' work to do just getting back to where I was in May!! That, alone, is likely still 6- or 8- weeks off...